test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Random PUGs

bashmaster36bashmaster36 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
edited August 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Is there any point to queue with random people in any dungeon 40+? Are all the final bosses impossible without a full group of people who know what they're doing? Even if you try to give people a good strat it doesn't seem to matter.

IMO, they should do the same thing for dungeons that they do for PvP...make everyone the same level. It would help, but I somehow doubt it would be enough. I was having so much fun with this game until the Wolf Den.
Post edited by bashmaster36 on

Comments

• cgta1967cgta1967 Member Posts: 86
    edited August 2013
    you are correct...this game IS a lot of fun....until you have to play with others.
    The problem, IMO, is that most people have been playing for however many levels, calling the shots and going about things "their way". This isn't to say that one person's way of playing is wrong, but in a team environment, there needs to be a greater degree of cooperation. Unfortunately, too many people only care about the shiny at the end, and if things aren't progressing fast enough for them, they get angry.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • vvergvverg Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 199 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Using the word "Random" before "PUG" isn't needed. "Pick Up Group" means it are random people :P.

But wait till your lvl 60, than you know how anoying PUG's are. Especially PvP it's wonderfull, you get in a party with 4x Rank 1 mount with GS around 9-10k and teamwork that just doesn't excist, while the other team of course have the better players. But otherwise it's nice to beat a premade with your PUG party, cause I know at least 2 guilds in Mindflayer are just bad for a pre-made group.
    signature-lili.png
  • bashmaster36bashmaster36 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    cgta1967 wrote: »
    you are correct...this game IS a lot of fun....until you have to play with others.

No, I love playing with others, but it was nice when I could just jump on at any time, hit the join button, and start playing. What I'm asking is if that's possible with any of the higher dungeons. If not (and I knew it was a long shot), I'll just wait for the perfect cookie-cutter guild group.
    vverg wrote: »
    Using the word "Random" before "PUG" isn't needed. "Pick Up Group" means it are random people :P.

That's the IT in me. I can't help when I try to dumb things down so people know what I'm talking about. :)
  • griffin230griffin230 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 88
    edited August 2013
    Is there any point to queue with random people in any dungeon 40+? Are all the final bosses impossible without a full group of people who know what they're doing? Even if you try to give people a good strat it doesn't seem to matter.

IMO, they should do the same thing for dungeons that they do for PvP...make everyone the same level. It would help, but I somehow doubt it would be enough. I was having so much fun with this game until the Wolf Den.

All the dungeons are puggable. Obviously it helps when everyone knows what they are doing, but usually it only needs 1 person laying down a good strategy for a decent pug (i.e. a pug that will listen) to beat any dungeon.

FWIW, the Grey Wolf Den is the hardest dungeon while levelling. It's mainly because at level, players are still getting used to their toons and don't have access to their best powers yet. The other dungeons aren't really as hard as the Wolf one. Besides, the Wolf dungeon was apparently nerfed in a previous patch, so it shouldn't be as hard now as it used to be.
  • morsitansmorsitans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,284 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    If I had to guess, I'd say the key roles for dungeons are control/aggro handling and healing/mitigation. If you get a pug that has a CW (or GF) that can actually control monsters (or hold aggro), and you get a cleric that heals/supports rather than pew pewing with space lazorz, you're in with a good shout of finishing provided the rest of the team brings enough damage output (and that's not even technically necessary: with well-controlled monsters and someone keeping peeps alive, even low damage output wins eventually).

If you get an orbital doom-cannon cleric or a single-target DPS wizard, you're probably doomed no matter how good you are.

That's in epics.

In normal dungeons, it's less restrictive. The problem with wolf den is just...wolf den. Wolf den is just awful.

Protips for the boss are to remember that when she successfullly lands melee hits she spawns the shadow wolves, so you can make the fight SOOO much easier if you don't get hit by her in melee. The giant doom hands don't count (though you should hopefully be avoiding those anyway).

So dismiss companions (stones can stay) because companions are idiots who stand in fire: they will bring wolves. Send them away.

Also, don't stick a GF on the boss, use a TR. I'm pretty sure (not 100%) that it's her LANDING the melee hits that spawns, so a blocked hit is still a hit as far as "HAVE MOAR MAGIC WOLVES" is concerned. Dodging is a much better approach. Use the GF to round up the adds (esp the archer adds) that spawn at the usual health breakpoints, because these guys will ruin your DC.

Other than that, just stay mobile, don't get hit.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The wolf den can be easy, if everyone listens. That is the tricky part. There is no fix for it however. Its easy to blame it on factors like language barriers. But ive seen it happen in other games with everyone in the same guild, the same language, and all on vent. And you'll still get someone either not paying attention or doing their own thing because they feel they know best.

Just try to get everyone to put their pets away, the leading cause of wipes in the wolf den. And you'll know how futile it is.
  • galahad01galahad01 Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Hello All,

I think a lot of the problems/issues stem from everyone trying to assert themselves in the group, but most I feel is that groups tend to want to blast through everything instead of just going in and having fun with it.

Now I understand that some people like to do things quickly and these types of players I say, To each their own "

However the only thing time has anything to do with is in people own heads, there is no extra loot for exploiting/quickly doing a dungeon.

My friend and me have been doing well doing 5 man dungeons with just the 2 of us and the healer hires, now granted the time is a factor but we enjoy our time we play together so if it takes a couple hours+ to get something done ( With Full Exploration ) that's fine with us, as for deaths there are a few here and there but nothing to complain about under the circumstances. Even the other day I was in Dread Vault myself and had the end boss just below half health when it decided to rubber band and go back to full, which I didn't mind too much because I remembered that my friend and me didn't try that one together so I finished out, save it for another time.

The last one we did together during a DD( Extra Chest ) was Spellplague???? with the spawning pits and the end boss on the round Platform. That one proved difficult for just us, but in our defense we are not fully decked in gear, like most in this game, and using Level 15 hires that would take an elevator to get to a fight while letting you stand there doesn't help matters LOL!!!

On a final note, it is really hard IMHO to get a good P.U.G. of average players that want to take their time learn to do something most of the time what I see in Zone chat are people looking for others but they need a certain G.S. and/or Know what they are doing ahead of time, pretty hard thing to do if you haven't run the DD epics before and need a group to get that experience.

Then lets not forget the group experiences of going through helping and then the leader drops you before you get a chance to get what you helped earn.

Cheers!

And we were doing stuff like this with pretty well basic earned quest gear, only now are we starting to acquire our T1/T2 gears and those will be for another Character, as it would be nice to do some epic runs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

" May The Wind be Always At Your Back "
  • cbrowne0329cbrowne0329 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 293 Arc User
    edited August 2013

Come on you are basing this theory on WOLF DEN! THE Wolf Den... the sole mission that has made many a person weep. LOL! That mission sucks... especially at level... fight fight fight... end boss wipe! That has nothing to do with experience... you make one mistake in there and it can be a wipe.
  • goddessuniquegoddessunique Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Wolf den is so easy, you just gotta know what to do.
    The main problem I see with epic dungeons are how bosses don't actually fight. All they do is spam 100 adds and try to red circle you to death. The only way it would be okay is if players had infinite dodges or when you dodged it actually dodged the attack instead of snapping you back to where you was or canceling the dodge half way or even sometimes still hitting you even if you did dodge. And I really hate how when you get knocked down there's no way to make them hurry up and get up, most games have it so you can roll away or jump up but not NW, they get up like an old person in the bath, which is plenty of time to get red circled again and again until you dead.:(
    Queen of Dragon Server
    Goddess Uniique, lvl 60 DC.
    PinkSugar, lvl 60 CW.
    Baby Cakes, lvl 60 GWF.
    *******, lvl 60 TR.
    Premium Juicebox, lvl 60 CW.
    Pink Exxxtacy, Ranger

There is NO pvp in Neverwinter.
  • bashmaster36bashmaster36 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Come on you are basing this theory on WOLF DEN! THE Wolf Den... the sole mission that has made many a person weep. LOL! That mission sucks... especially at level... fight fight fight... end boss wipe! That has nothing to do with experience... you make one mistake in there and it can be a wipe.

I'm basing this on hundreds of dungeon runs on multiple characters up to The Frozen Heart. The Wolf Den was a wipe 100% of the time, but the other mid level dungeons weren't much better.
  • terryclothterrycloth Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Mad Dragon and Wolf Den are the only dungeons I've had multiple wipes on. Mad Dragon because the dragon's stuff makes people scatter and then the adds pick everyone to pieces, Wolf Den because of DOOM WOLVES. No one knew why they spawned so they JUST KEPT COMING. After me. And then nobody got healed because I was busy running around trying not to get eaten.

Oh, the 'retake the bridge' skirmish is another multiple wipe scenario because the fight with 3 giants + multiple adds means there are red circles EVERYWHERE. Sometimes it's literally impossible to dodge them all, so you have to pick the ones that are pure damage instead of damage + knockup + get hit by a dozen more while trying to get back up and... I'm not so good at that part. Ow ow ow ow.
  • deaththroedeaththroe Member Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    PUGs can be frustrating but at times they can also be fun. I couple of weeks back I got a group together to do Idris dungeon. One player was particularly greedy and would go off on his own looking for profession nodes and chests. Right as we are pulling some of the mobs away from Idris to make the fight more manageable here comes this OgOg guy being chased by a mimic. He leads into the middle of the party just as the hordes of undead come pouring down the stairs. Thankfully the mimic bait was the only idiot in the party so we didn't wipe and concluded the dungeon.
    10PM CST