test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Guardian... too hard coded in it's role

raygarianraygarian Member Posts: 5 Arc User
edited August 2013 in The Militia Barracks
I know some people will defend the Guardian but everyone is allowed their own opinion.
So far I played the Cleric, Rogue, and Guardian.
I prefer the Tanking role, but I suppose my biggest complaint is the lack of satisfaction with the class.
If you're playing a Rogue, you like seeing high damage output. You can focus skills and gear on that and you will see results. Same with a Cleric & Healing. You can feel the results.
You don't get that with a Guardian. I feel like I can't advance in effectiveness in Solo, PvE, and PvP, regardless of what gear I get. No one cares about your damage. When you're guard is broken you still die pretty fast. Only thing that matters is your Guard skill which is almost independent from your gear.

My personal issues:
  • You have 4 'at wills'... but not really. You have 'mechanics' that you use 90% of the time that you can't change.
  • You have no true choice in skill investments. You're a tank. You choose tanking skills.
  • Focusing on DSP skills doesn't make you a DPS class so why are they in the game?
  • You can PvP with 0 kills.
  • You solo slower than everyone else.
  • You do the least amount of damage.
  • You can fully equip yourself in high end epics to what end?
  • You can't tank groups. Only some. Over tanking kills your Guard.
  • You can't truly tank a boss. They attack move everywhere. You can interrupt and reduce their damage some. And the boss's minions? You're NOT supposed to tank them otherwise you are definitely dead.
  • You aren't valued for damage output, or damage reduction.

You don't feel like you excel at anything. Changing powers, skills, and gear doesn't change that. You feel stuck into a very rigid hard coded role.
You're only a 1 trick pony and a gimped one by comparison to Tanking classes in other MMOs.

Anyway, that's the end of my rant.
Post edited by raygarian on

Comments

• yngvar1yngvar1 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    When I die and see my teamates die, I feel it.
  • fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Spec Conq. or Tactician as you level and:
    • You have 3 effective at wills: Cleave, Threatening Rush and Tide of Iron (against elites). All have uses and you use them all the time.
    • You have many skill investment choices. Do you spec full points into managing incoming damage or points into aggro or points into CC or points into single target damage or aoe damage?
    • Focussing on dps skills, especially while questing, make you a formidable damage classs. I was almost always top damage in groups until level 60, be it dungeons or skirmishes.
    • PvP: while levelling, again I was almost always top in either kills or K/D or damage. I earned most of my Versus achievements while levelling.
    • The only classes faster at soloing than me were good TR or good CW. Unlike them, however, I never died and always beat all solo instances first time, as well and almost never used even a single potion after tutorial levels with my specific build.
    • Conq. GF dps in dps sets or Stalwarts can do more overall damage across a dungeon than even well geared CWs (excluding HP-as-damage from ledge pushing).
    • High end epics give you either high dps stats like Timeless or great 4pc bonuses and high survivability like Stalwarts or party-wide bonuses.
    • Correct. Trying to "tank" groups is a generally bad idea on a GF. You do best by moving, CC-ing and kiting mobs. Leave "tanking", i.e. allowing themselves to be hit, to GWFs with their 40k HP (assuming they can get the aggro).
    • You can aggro boss and tank their damage. You can aggro adds the best of all classes. You are best-in-class at kiting/CCing, not "tanking" minions.
    • A good GF is valued for kiting, CC, boss tanking, group-wide damage reduction or single target damage.

Given the above, you have far less rigid role than other "tanking" classes in other MMORPGs.

So, I guess we play two different games or play them so differently that we cannot agree! Perhaps the problem is that you expected a "tank" class and got anything but that, yet failed to explore the other aspects of the class...

The best thing anyone can do when making a GF is just forget about your Guard. If you start from that premise, you will eventually enjoy the class a LOT more, including when you do finally manage to understand your Guard.
  • kreicuskreicus Member Posts: 76
    edited August 2013
    raygarian wrote: »
    My personal issues:
    • You have 4 'at wills'... but not really. You have 'mechanics' that you use 90% of the time that you can't change.
    • You have no true choice in skill investments. You're a tank. You choose tanking skills.
    • Focusing on DSP skills doesn't make you a DPS class so why are they in the game?
    • You can PvP with 0 kills.
    • You solo slower than everyone else.
    • You do the least amount of damage.
    • You can fully equip yourself in high end epics to what end?
    • You can't tank groups. Only some. Over tanking kills your Guard.
    • You can't truly tank a boss. They attack move everywhere. You can interrupt and reduce their damage some. And the boss's minions? You're NOT supposed to tank them otherwise you are definitely dead.
    • You aren't valued for damage output, or damage reduction.

I was going to respond to each point in this list but.....

The only at will I find no use for is Crushing Surge. Most GF's seem to avoid the tanking skills, as the gear/guard gives them all the tanking they need. GF's can often easily top damage charts in dungeons. PvP isnt about kills, its about points (Unless you want head hunter title). You can tank groups. You can tank bosses. You can do damage and/or prevent damage. We have the skills.
  • frariifrarii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Yeah, just block big reds and take the other damage, i can tank hordes of mobs in CN and any boss in the game, while holding agro and not dying, and geting head to head in DPS with CWs...
    Moving, CC, buffs... GF is the most fun tank in the history of MMOs...
  • cribstaxxxcribstaxxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,300 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Do you seriously have a 60 GF? You're GF simply can't be 60, you couldn't possibly say what you're saying if it was. 0 pvp kills, least damage output, can only be a tank?? When my GF hit 60 I went and bought random purples from the AH at <4k AD each, I had absolute garbage on and I went like 15/4 on my first PvP.

If you need everything explained here you go: trample the fallen and combat superiority passives. lunging strike, knights challenge, frontline surge encounters. cleave and threatening rush at wills. your level 50 daily (can't remember the name, prone + knockback) and fighters recovery. If you put knights challenge on a TR, CW or DC and then frontline + lunge they will be dead or at 10%. Open with your daily and you kill someone before they can do anything at all 90% of the time. Stupid easy to do insane damage no matter what gear you have.
    Guild Master of <Enemy Team>
    We are definitely dominating, and we are always about to win.
  • ladysylvialadysylvia Member Posts: 946 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Only the dps-path of GF work good. How many times i see in PvP, that i play with a cotton not with a sword. The legend: 1/2/3 shot from 'tanks'. With my 3 Encounter i 'can' do 7,4k dmg. That's 1/2/3 shot? - no. With my best daily i 'can' do +4,2k. And as a 'Tank' i don't really feel. With a bit gear, the enemy come good through my 50% DR. Best ever: 20k Critincs from TRs. Hmmm... if it's only 20% DR left it's a damage income of more than 25k. One smoke + 2 Hit = Full HP --> Dead. Tank... yeah...
  • dkcandydkcandy Member Posts: 1,555 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Guardian Fighter is an amazing class and has ungodly potential if you really learn the class and the mechanics. You have to take the time to really learn the class and read the posts about diminishing returns and math behind the class. Once you start to peel back the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> and stick a massive amount of gear/enchants all towards a well balanced GF your damage and tankiness sky rockets.

I'm one of the TOP GF on Mindflayer I'm currently running:

Guardian Fighter Tank Build (This is a tank build not DPS)
    36K Health
    11.5K Power (Yes! 11,500+ Power)
    28% Deflection
    46-48% Damage Reduction (Don't remember off the top of my head)
    12% ArP + Greater Plague Fire (12.8% is all you need for TRASH & G-Plague Fire gives you the rest for Elites/Bosses)
    20% CRT Chance
    9.6% Health Regeneration
    7% Life Steal
    3 - Greater Tene's (Offers more single target damage gain than ArP or Power)

This build DOES NOT stack deflection or defense only HP & Regeneration.

CN - My damage varies between 8-11 Million Damage over entire run with 3Mil+ on Draco. Like most GF's during Draco I run around grabbing aggro on Red Wizards & rounding up mobs to knock off. Boss is normally at 80% by the time I can switch to single target and go to town on Draco.

I'm also working on a DPS Version of my build current design:
    13.8k Power
    20% CRT
    24% ArP
    Greater Vorpal (Can't afford a Perfect.)

After I'm done with all of my testing I'll make a guide on my 2 builds. DPS & Tank GF.
  • petpet2petpet2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Am I the only one here who thinks the thread starter's tank can' tank?

If Guardians can't tank, there wouldn't be any demand of tanks in the zone chat (dps/full tank).

Try joining a guild and ask for tips on how to properly utilise a Guardian: against mobs, bosses, adds, pvp etc.

IMO, the GF is the most versatile class in NWO.
    edited August 2013
    dkcandy wrote: »
    Guardian Fighter is an amazing class and has ungodly potential if you really learn the class and the mechanics. You have to take the time to really learn the class and read the posts about diminishing returns and math behind the class. Once you start to peel back the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> and stick a massive amount of gear/enchants all towards a well balanced GF your damage and tankiness sky rockets.

36K Health
    28% Deflection
    12% ArP + Greater Plague Fire (12.8% is all you need for TRASH & G-Plague Fire gives you the rest for Elites/Bosses)
    20% CRT Chance
    9.6% Health Regeneration
    7% Life Steal

CN - My damage varies between 8-11 Million Damage over entire run with 3Mil+ on Draco. Like most GF's during Draco I run around grabbing aggro on Red Wizards & rounding up mobs to knock off. Boss is normally at 80% by the time I can switch to single target and go to town on Draco.

13.8k Power
    20% CRT
    24% ArP

After I'm done with all of my testing I'll make a guide on my 2 builds. DPS & Tank GF.

Please don't lie. What you post is a total DPS-Build.
    20% Crit? DPS
    11,5k Power? DPS --> Is alone 460 Damage(~70% of my Weapon damage!)
    36k HP? Tank
    28% Defl? Tank
    12% ArP? DPS
    3 GTe? DPS
    46-48% DR? Only because sets? Not Tank

So you post a DPS-Build, not a Tankbuild. Which path you choiced? Con? Pro? Tac?

The Protector path lack really a DR buff. The +5 to AC is really small. Only 2,5% DR increase. For what? Huge decrease in pot. damage! So the DPS-Path has to nerf or the Tac+Protector-Path need buffs. A tank, that deals huge damage is a fail code. First i would remove the +power from all Sets.
    edited August 2013
    Ladysylvia - You are showing your ignorance.

The issue is players like you look at damage as a DPS build and not a TANK that does good damage. If you are stacking defense or deflection then you are gimping your potential.

I'm can tank all content and do massive damage. It's players like yourself that give GF's a bad rep and why people will chose another TR over GF because you think pure tank and no damage is good.

Also my DPS build is:
    32k HP
    13.8K Power
    20% CRT
    24% ArP
    G-Vorpal
    4-5% Regen
    4-5% Life Steal
    20% Deflection

Don't know about you but I can still tank all content in my DPS build and do tons more damage than most players.
    edited August 2013
    Ladysylvia - You are showing your ignorance.

The issue is players like you look at damage as a DPS build and not a TANK that does good damage. If you are stacking defense or deflection then you are gimping your potential.

I'm can tank all content and do massive damage. It's players like yourself that give GF's a bad rep and why people will chose another TR over GF because you think pure tank and no damage is good.

Also my DPS build is:
    32k HP
    13.8K Power
    20% CRT
    24% ArP
    G-Vorpal
    4-5% Regen
    4-5% Life Steal
    20% Deflection

Don't know about you but I can still tank all content in my DPS build and do tons more damage than most players.

You missleading. YOU throw the tank rep down. >> If you are stacking defense or deflection then you are gimping your potential.<<
    I'm stacking Defense for surviving, but players like YOU are the bad. Oh low Dps? Useless! The tank have to do massive Dmg too! He can't? Useless! I choose the prot path for be a tank. But it is honored by the game? I don't really think so.
  • sfxer001sfxer001 Member Posts: 118 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    ladysylvia wrote: »
    You missleading. YOU throw the tank rep down. >> If you are stacking defense or deflection then you are gimping your potential.<<
    I'm stacking Defense for surviving, but players like YOU are the bad. Oh low Dps? Useless! The tank have to do massive Dmg too! He can't? Useless! I choose the prot path for be a tank. But it is honored by the game? I don't really think so.

Going tank spec or stacking nothing but defense and deflection is overkill for the dungeons. You don't need all that defense, whereas offense kills mobs faster and thins the herd down quicker so you don't have to tank as much.

If you are protection spec and/or stacking defense and deflection, you are wasting your time. Extra defense stats beyond the threshhold of survivability are wasted stats. If you want to be a turtle tank that doesn't do damage, there are plenty of other games MMO games out there based around that model. NW requires damage and tanking skill, not tanking stats.

The best way to reduce damage in this game is through avoidance skill, not mitigation stats. Block the high damage encounters, and move around to avoid the horde of little hits so your guard doesn't break. Standing there with everything beating on you doesn't work in this game, but if that's your thing, go play WoW. You can tank with one finger there and you won't have to move at all.

Edit -- Also, imagine that your tank-specced GF and my damage-specced GF were both in the same group. I would hold aggro on all the mobs over you with my superior threat due to all the damage I have and I have enough survivability to survive the content. You, on the other hand, won't be tanking anything. All your defense stats are useless, and you have no offense, so you would be adding nothing to that group.
  • sslothzzsslothzz Member Posts: 224 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    ladysylvia wrote: »
    One has to understand that regular "classic" tank as we know it from other games has no place in NWO. The reason turtle build is not honored in this game is that it is useless.
    You can have excess defense in dungeons. You even can have excess control in dungeons (this can lead us to a long cw builds discussion). But you can never have excess DPS. End of story.
  • grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    yup, going full defense is useless here. because nothing will hit hard enough.

If they changed it so bosses actually did unavoidable attacks/melee that really hurt (like maw red attacks), then tanks would have their place
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
  • tarmalentarmalen Member Posts: 1,020 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    fondlez wrote: »

[*]Focussing on dps skills, especially while questing, make you a formidable damage classs. I was almost always top damage in groups until level 60, be it dungeons or skirmishes.

[*]Correct. Trying to "tank" groups is a generally bad idea on a GF. You do best by moving, CC-ing and kiting mobs. Leave "tanking", i.e. allowing themselves to be hit, to GWFs with their 40k HP (assuming they can get the aggro).

Speaking as a "PVE" AOE DPS GWF. I am at 22K hp running 26 STR, 15 CON, 19 DEX. Bring your 40k myth on. I will chew his DPS for breakfast and shart it out by lunch.
  • tarmalentarmalen Member Posts: 1,020 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    grimah wrote: »
    yup, going full defense is useless here. because nothing will hit hard enough.

If they changed it so bosses actually did unavoidable attacks/melee that really hurt (like maw red attacks), then tanks would have their place

I would suggest you stopping by the following link.

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?407291-Des-s-GF-Interceptor-Tank-Build
  • mutantdemocracymutantdemocracy Member Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Don't know about you but I can still tank all content in my DPS build

I'm assuming you don't use Knight's Valor, at all. It's the best tanking skill in the game, but it deals no damage on its own, which is probably why you wouldn't take it.

I'm curious if you can survive Castle Never while using Knight's Valor. For an added bonus, you can't sit in your DC's Astral Shield for very long, either. I'm curious if you can survive the Spider Queen boss fight while using Knight's Valor while standing outside of Astral Shield.

It's funny how whenever I play with people on my Tactician GF, they are beyond surprised when they see me play. The most common thing said is, "Wow. I've never seen a GF hold aggro or live as long as you do." The people I play with are 11.5-12k GS DCs, CWs, and TRs who have earned all their gear on two or more characters.
  • frariifrarii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Lol, again the tactician myth... tactician does not allow you to survive more or better than conqueror, does not have any kind of skill that allows you to gather/hold agro better than conqueror (is worse in that aspect) you probably just learned to play your toon, that is what makes YOU to be able to gather and hold agro, to survive outside the Astral shield and to help your party with knights valor (utterly useless in good partys, but well, we probably are almost useless in good parties).

I gather and hold agro in castle never without astral shield, i heal myself, i'm always aware of the battlefield in case someone makes a mistake on pushing mobs and gets unwanted agro i can even run on knight's valor if i had to random pug a t2 (i don't anymore, but sometimes im bored enough to) all of it while topping dps charts or tying the dps of the wizards in CN, i dont care about dps, i care about runs being efficient, smooth and fun, and there is not a single advantage for it in tactician/protector over conqueror, that's the truth, you being skilled doesnt magically turn the other paths in better, just as i always said, if you're skilled, all paths are great to play, conqueror is better for good groups and good players, the others are slightly better if youre a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> that likes to pug and run CN/T2 with unknown players.
  • sslothzzsslothzz Member Posts: 224 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    tarmalen wrote: »
    I will only believe this is viable when the author uploads a video of his team cleaning some t2 (not pirate :)) No offence here, guys, but as far as i saw the people playing - most of the teams don't need a turtle tank. So i'd really love to see how to play with this build, as well as understand how the team should cooperate then having such GF.
    I'm assuming you don't use Knight's Valor, at all. It's the best tanking skill in the game, but it deals no damage on its own, which is probably why you wouldn't take it.

I'm curious if you can survive Castle Never while using Knight's Valor. For an added bonus, you can't sit in your DC's Astral Shield for very long, either. I'm curious if you can survive the Spider Queen boss fight while using Knight's Valor while standing outside of Astral Shield.

It's funny how whenever I play with people on my Tactician GF, they are beyond surprised when they see me play. The most common thing said is, "Wow. I've never seen a GF hold aggro or live as long as you do." The people I play with are 11.5-12k GS DCs, CWs, and TRs who have earned all their gear on two or more characters.
    Again, a proof video please :)
  • darkami669darkami669 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013

36K Health
    28% Deflection
    20% CRT Chance
    9.6% Health Regeneration
    7% Life Steal

13.8k Power
    20% CRT
    24% ArP

These stats as you have them listed are not possible. plus you have no armor pen ?
  • scoteoscoteo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    darkami669 wrote: »
    These stats as you have them listed are not possible. plus you have no armor pen ?

I'm also curious how you achieved those stats. Not saying it's not possible but it must be all max rank/perfect enchants?
    -- Gono 60 GF -- Gonodos 60 TR -- Fromme 60 DC --
    - Dragon Shard
    -
    edited August 2013

I use Knights Valor, Lunge, FrontLine surge.

Knights Valor is amazing skill for AP generation and protecting my teammates. I'm Scroto Bagins on Mindflayer in FistFul of Zen - You can watch my guildmate's stream on Twitch. Xira runs CN and streams it all the time. I personally don't stream sorry.

Standing in or out of blue ring isn't an issue, it's more of if my team suddenly gets hit with a very high burst. In my tank build I have 36k HP and have a ton of Regen/Life Steal, so I can get my life back fast. It's always funny when my team kills me on purpose when the TR drops a Decoy and all 4 teammates stand in a massive AOE. They get a good laugh at watching me get insta jibbed.
  • pfft2pfft2 Member Posts: 301 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I use Knights Valor, Lunge, FrontLine surge.

Knights Valor is amazing skill for AP generation and protecting my teammates.

Yeah, probably one of my favorite abilities in any MMO ever.

Does Knight's Valor still bug out, though? (The button simply becomes inert.) I basically stopped running dungeons on my Fighter because of that bug.
  • fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013

36K Health
    28% Deflection
    20% CRT Chance
    9.6% Health Regeneration
    7% Life Steal

13.8k Power
    20% CRT
    24% ArP

How do you achieve 11.5k Power when your Power from items is only 2,807, please? Even with Reckless Attacker Conqueror feat and a pure Power companion with Rank 8 enchants that would still only get you to ~7600 Power.

Are you including an additional buff from Stalwarts in middle of combat, in which case the full 5x5% stacking with 36k HP would give you an additional 9k Power not the missing 3.9k?
  • derpaderpistderpaderpist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013

36K Health
    28% Deflection
    20% CRT Chance
    9.6% Health Regeneration
    7% Life Steal

13.8k Power
    20% CRT
    24% ArP

Screenshots or it didn't happen .
    " We live in an age of the cheaply made, disposable, high priced junk. " - theunwarshed
    edited August 2013
    edited August 2013
    scoteo wrote: »
    I'm also curious how you achieved those stats. Not saying it's not possible but it must be all max rank/perfect enchants?

Nope can't afford Rank 10's that will be many months away and even then the gain's from Rank 8 to 10 is very minimal.
    edited August 2013
    How do you achieve 11.5k Power when your Power from items is only 2,807, please? Even with Reckless Attacker Conqueror feat and a pure Power companion with Rank 8 enchants that would still only get you to ~7600 Power.

Are you including an additional buff from Stalwarts in middle of combat, in which case the full 5x5% stacking with 36k HP would give you an additional 9k Power not the missing 3.9k?

Using Knights Valor you always have 5/5 Stacks at the beginning of every fight till the end of combat. :D