test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Advice on encounters

shefenhowshefenhow Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 61
edited August 2013 in The Foundry
Hi all,

Pretty much finished my custom map and now just trying to populate it with nasty denizens.

Is it possible to have different animations for multiple monsters in a single encounter? The animations seem tied to the encounter rather than to each individual, unless I am missing something. I would like a group of four or five mobs in a camp, with for example one stocking a fire, two of them arguing, one hammering etc. Is this possible or would I need to split them into multiple encounters?

If I do need to split them, I am going to have to be very careful regarding difficulty I guess, as I could end up with five solo creatures which tend to be pretty tough, all attacking the player(s) at once.

In fact when I try an animation on an encounter, it tends to look stupid, with a five mob encounter doing synchronized look, left, look right, look up etc.

I also have an issue with a patrol, where only one mob in the related encounter wanders off and the rest stay at the start. Is that likely to get sorted when I publish, or what am I doing wrong? In fact even the mob that does go off to patrol walks off into a wall and then teleports away, despite the fact that absolutely none of the patrol points have co-ordinates on the far side of the wall he tries to enter. I even recreated with a new patrol and patrol points and that did the same. At this rate I am going to need to give up on the patrol.
Post edited by shefenhow on

Comments

• harbingerdrumharbingerdrum Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 151 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Patrols shift when published sometimes, particularly if not on a true flat surface. Better luck with mobs on a placed walk rather than a cryptic map terrain also.

If the mobs run into about anything, they can stall and sometimes disappear, so clear the path well. Especially tough to get them to patrol down stairs. They will go up (sometimes) but want to catapult into the air for some reason when dropping levels (off rocks, stairs, etc).

Wander does not work really until the quest is published.

Different animations can be done with some trickery. Make NPC's with identical costumes as the mob you want to utilize. Place them at the same locations of the mob and make different animations for each. When it is time for them to get mean, shed the NPC's and spawn the mob.
    the Book Binding series by @HarbingerDrum ----> Help Defeat Lolth's Minions
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

1- 20, 2- 35, 3- 18, 4- 20 min
    Comments to ->
    the Book Binding
  • shefenhowshefenhow Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 61
    edited July 2013
    Yeah, I have not yet published, I suspect I will hit more issues then. It's a custom map and there is about 6 feet of steps for them to to up, but the first mob manages that fine and then walks into a wall for no reason whatsoever, and the rest of the encounter never even start to patrol.

I might try that with the NPC's, thanks for the idea. It might be a pain having multiple single encounters.

Cheers,
  • ultraserfultraserf Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Question. How do I have a character choose 1 of three things and then 1 of the 3 objects appear and they can leave from anyone of them????????