test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Request: To remove seller name from Auctions

shadedzashadedza Member Posts: 11 Arc User
edited July 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Hey Neverwinter Devs

Hope you guys read this. I would like to request that the seller's name be removed from showing in the auctions. Other online game developers, like Blizzard, have learned to hide seller names because of harassment and also of one's privacy.

There is always contention between, for example, guild mates, seeing that another guild member sells the same item and they can see who it is.

Please seriously consider this.

Regards

Malo
Post edited by shadedza on

Comments

• mbllanes199mbllanes199 Member, Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 429
    edited July 2013
    Agree to this one, and also remove the name who bought the items, ive done selling and buying myself, and i do not want ppl to see i bought their items.
  • werealchemistwerealchemist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    shadedza wrote: »
    Hey Neverwinter Devs

Hope you guys read this. I would like to request that the seller's name be removed from showing in the auctions. Other online game developers, like Blizzard, have learned to hide seller names because of harassment and also of one's privacy.

There is always contention between, for example, guild mates, seeing that another guild member sells the same item and they can see who it is.

Regards

Malo
    Agree to this one, and also remove the name who bought the items, ive done selling and buying myself, and i do not want ppl to see i bought their items.

i agree to this. it makes playing the auction house awkward....
    21.jpg
  • rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I don't use the AH much but that's something I didn't like either. Why do I want to know who bought my item? Why do I want them to know I bought theirs?
  • klixanklixan Member Posts: 447 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    I suppose it's one way to keep track of exploiters and bots. If you see the same guy selling hundreds of 99 stacks of whatever, you can be pretty sure it's a bot/exploiter.
  • daschernachtdaschernacht Member Posts: 100
    edited July 2013
    They know they can hide the name from us and leave it for their bot/exploiting tracking needs.....problem is, will they?
  • willstrwillstr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 79
    edited July 2013
    It can be sometimes useful, for example i had something i wanted to sell and something i wanted to buy from auction house. I just saw who has put my required item up for auction and talked to him directly for trade. It saves the trade house cut of 12.5% and also saves all the wait for selling then buying or advertising on zone chat to trade, hoping someone would actually see it!
  • parp12parp12 Member Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    willstr wrote: »
    It can be sometimes useful, for example i had something i wanted to sell and something i wanted to buy from auction house. I just saw who has put my required item up for auction and talked to him directly for trade. It saves the trade house cut of 12.5% and also saves all the wait for selling then buying or advertising on zone chat to trade, hoping someone would actually see it!

Off topic but it has to be said. The auction house has a fee of 10%. It's the auction broker which has a fee of 12.5%. The difference is that you have to physically be at the auction house to use it, but the broker allows you to be anywhere.
  • nwnghostnwnghost Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Disagree with the OP suggestion.

I think its good to have names there - a large chunk of my gear I bought for Gold or differently agreed AD prices after talking to the person listing it.

This wouldn't be possible if names were hidden
  • ravenrabbitravenrabbit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 127 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    I vote no to this, as I like to see who I am purchasing from. I, for example, won't buy from people that are rather rude and such in chat, it's the principle of the matter. :)
  • nornsavantnornsavant Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Still haven’t finished re-inventing that wheel, eh devs?

Normally I would say that removing the name would be a good thing. A degree of separation between the ravening masses and yourself must feel nicer than the alternatives but there is something else at play here. Anonymity breeds malfeasance.

In any other game this wouldn’t be a problem because the game itself is supposed to be designed to protect you from the ill intents of the poorly bred. But not this one. This budget experience makes it clear from the start that you are on your own as a player, from trade window exploits to CS tickets that molder ad infinitum, neither the game nor its designers are looking out for you.

So when someone kicks you out of a dungeon so he or she can take the loot, taking their name and plastering it all over every chat window you can find is the only way to stop others from falling prey as you did. When someone trade cheats you out of an item, letting everyone know about it is the only thing you can do. So being able to decide for myself if I want to buy something from a known cheater is a big plus. If I see someone being a jerk or I know that they are an exploiter, I can choose to leave their stuff in the AH and buy from someone else. It’s not like they will have the only items there.

You and your alliances are all you have in the world of Neverwinter players. The game won’t help you, the devs won’t help you and the staff won’t help you.

I don’t think the cheaters need the game to take yet another step to protect them.
  • ladymythosladymythos Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 637 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    This really should be easy to solve. One person wants names listed. One person does not. So if I were to put an item for sale, why can't I simply chose if I want the sale to be anonymous or not?
  • cribstaxxxcribstaxxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,300 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    I vote no to this, as I like to see who I am purchasing from. I, for example, won't buy from people that are rather rude and such in chat, it's the principle of the matter. :)

I agree. If I'm buying something like an enchant and I see a guild mate selling the same rank 7 for slightly more I'll buy his anyway. I can see where you would want to be anonymous if you're undercutting guildmates, but if they are openly complaining about it in /g sounds like you (or they) need to find a new guild. MMO's are always more fun with a friendly guild.
    Guild Master of <Enemy Team>
    We are definitely dominating, and we are always about to win.
  • darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I would think that within a Guild, the point is more to see if someone is taking from the Guild Bank and posting things for sale rather than for personal use.
  • cribstaxxxcribstaxxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,300 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    darkjeff wrote: »
    I would think that within a Guild, the point is more to see if someone is taking from the Guild Bank and posting things for sale rather than for personal use.

Lol in that case I hope they keep it the way it is b/c thats just underhanded and you should be held accountable.

I'm not saying that the poster or positive commenters are actually doing this as there are other reason to want to be anonymous, but if you really do want it just so you can raid the guild bank and sell it, thats just pathetic
  • raddatackraddatack Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    shadedza wrote: »
    Hey Neverwinter Devs

Regards

Malo

Just simply tell people so shut the **** up. That simple.
    search%3Fq%3Ddungeons%2Band%2Bdragons%2Blogo%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=dungeons+and+dragons+logo&usg=__h0EtYmMBvby3i0RqIk3wKubdfTU=&docid=2eAJThLCmGZbCM&sa=X&ei=35r_Uac9ldzgA9fsgJgJ&ved=0CC4Q9QEwAA&dur=295
  • yokanaanyokanaan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 151 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    I don't agree because now I recognize if seller is a bot or a normal person. I prefer buying from people instead of paying exploiters.
    And as we know naming and shaming isn't allowed but you remember names of people who make shady auctions.

What is more I have some customers which buy from me - removing my name would be inconvenient.
    edited July 2013
    yokanaan wrote: »
    I don't agree because now I recognize if seller is a bot or a normal person. I prefer buying from people instead of paying exploiters.
    And as we know naming and shaming isn't allowed but you remember names of people who make shady auctions.

What is more I have some customers which buy from me - removing my name would be inconvenient.

Ah very true, I will never buy a 99 stack of enchants b/c it is more than likely a bot. (If you are selling lots of enchants legit put them in smaller stacks ;) I would lose maybe 5k to buy from a guild mate, but I would pay double before I would purchase from a bot, I hate that garbage...
  • cgta1967cgta1967 Member Posts: 86
    edited July 2013

I dont mind names in Exchange.

I just wish we could disable all the dang 'sold item' emails.....

Its really a problem? WoW! Never thought sellers had to hide.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I don't really care who buys the stuff I sell, but I really, really want to know who is selling the items I buy. I may want to buy a slightly higher-priced item to avoid doing business with certain people.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • labbblabbb Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    because no one buys your stuff even when its cheapest ...because you named your toon some derogatory name . next time just name your toon bubbles . People will tolerate you more .
  • fusedmassfusedmass Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 252 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    I like the system how it is now. Many people may re-sell items they're not supposed to on a level one alt, thinking they are smart. With system how it is, no matter which alt you sign in with, shows who's selling. Why exactly would a person want to conceal this, unless doing something not supposed to.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The question, IMO, is whether showing the seller helps or diminishes the security of the game and the gold-seller situation. Think about it - if I wanted to sell ADs for real money, I could use this info to ensure that transaction goes to the right person. It also means that I can browse the Ah to find a bunch of people's @handles, and send them spam or otherwise have part of their login info...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • atgenreatgenre Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Well seeing how people can track you down using the @handles, you can find a shady person from the other games linked to that name. Lets say they are shady in Champions Online and STO.. you will see that and not buy from them. Also, like others have mentioned, the fact that people can't hide themselves means they are going to have to be a tad friendlier in their journeys to not put a bad face on their selling items.

This is a Free-To-Play game. We need anything we can to keep track of people that are just abusive towards others and scamming them. I know some people who hated the fact that they would put a lot of items up for a fair price to fix the economy, in WoW, and someone would buy them all and up mark them up for insane prices. However, with knowing their handle, they will have to go through the trouble of making a new account ever once in a while to get away from their bad rep; although it would still be obvious.

I would like to keep it the way it is. It is one step that helps prevent people from just hiding completely behind their avatar and being turds towards others!