test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Helping others with mobs

jwrenjwren Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 10 Arc User
edited July 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
The original thread was closed due to flaming, and my question within the thread wasn't answered (granted, it wasn't phrased directly as a question).

I'd still like to know officially--does helping another person take away their xp or loot? I'd like to know this, sincerely, because it will affect how I act in the future. This is purely a mechanics question that I couldn't find the answer to in the wiki or elsewhere.

Thanks.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by jwren on

Comments

• Options
    knarsistknarsist Member Posts: 86
    edited July 2013
    As long as you do some kind of damage, you get the rewards for the kill. If you kill mobs that haven't been touched by the person fighting them, then they won't get the rewards.
  • Options
    timmbeertimmbeer Member Posts: 268 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Another important thing is killing another player's mob may result on that player not getting kill count for his/her quest. So act with caution if you want to help.
    "Lucky" is the new FOTM.
  • Options
    lonnehartlonnehart Member Posts: 846 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Just to add to the question, what if you heal a player who's nearly gone only to have the mobs who were attacking that player suddenly focus on you, forcing you to defend yourself?
    *sings* "I like Gammera! He's so neat!!! He is full of turtle meat!!!"

"Hah! You are doomed! You're only armed with that pathetic excuse for a musical instrument!!!" *the Savage Beast moments before Lonnehart the Bard used music to soothe him... then beat him to death with his Fat Lute*
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The polite or considerate thing to do is to allow the person to fight on their own, unless they seem like they really need a hand or ask for help.

Technically, however, as rewards are based upon damage dealt, anyone doing so gets credit for their contribution, so it isn't wrong.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    jwrenjwren Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Thanks for the answers, everyone. I appreciate it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mbllanes199mbllanes199 Member, Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 429
    edited July 2013
    Helping others with Mobs = Kill Stealing, (Polite way of saying Kill Stealing KS)

No rules about it as far as i know (played other PWI games), you can kill steal mobs anytime you want, but stalking other players will get you into trouble as you are interfering in his/her game play and you can get reported on that issue not on KS.
  • Options
    theninja0theninja0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I personally don't like it when people join in with my fights, regardless of whether it detracts from the rewards or not. I like to know that I can beat these opponents myself. I was surprised when playing this game at just how many people do it. I'm guessing guild wars has something to do with this.
    My Quests:
    Anomalous readings NW-DT25L46HY
    The Banished Realm NW-DBPX6X9JV
  • Options
    theviking2006theviking2006 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 817 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    I really dont mind it. If they want to kill those same mobs then I can do other things like Skirmish's, Dungeons, or Foundries.
  • Options
    cgta1967cgta1967 Member Posts: 86
    edited July 2013
    the bottom line is:

"we can, so we do."

not much you can do about it.

edited July 2013
    to answer your question: yes.

you have to do at least 50% dmg to a mob to get the loot.
    if you are on a quest to kill ## of mob, if you touch it you WILL get credit for your quest, but you will NOT get loot.

this was tested by me and guildmates, but try it yourself if you don't believe.
  • Options
    healhamstahealhamsta Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 572 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    I prefer it when people help out with mobs.
    It makes my quests & exp go faster. (especially as a heal spec DC...)
    Delve loot murdered my TR, DC, & GWF. Nerf Plox:
    I know that it sucks to no longer get gear to sell from the Dungeon Delve chest but it was truly overpowered.
  • Options
    knarsistknarsist Member Posts: 86
    edited July 2013
    It might be best to stick to the mechanics. The last thread got locked due to a flame fest over whether or not it was OK to do it.
  • Options
    lonnehartlonnehart Member Posts: 846 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    So better to not heal anyone who's in real trouble (they're down to less than 10% HP) unless they ask for it. I guess I'll have to stop "run by healing" people then...
    *sings* "I like Gammera! He's so neat!!! He is full of turtle meat!!!"

"Hah! You are doomed! You're only armed with that pathetic excuse for a musical instrument!!!" *the Savage Beast moments before Lonnehart the Bard used music to soothe him... then beat him to death with his Fat Lute*
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    walk2k wrote: »

if you are on a quest to kill ## of mob, if you touch it you WILL get credit for your quest, but you will NOT get loot.

Not true. There have been many times i've simply tapped a mob with a single, Clerical Astral Seal, at-will. Simply as a means of friendly heal. And I often see cash or items drop, afterwards.
  • Options
    theviking2006theviking2006 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 817 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013

Yeah this is incorrect, during the Valindra event I went in with my level 15 DC and was just spamming my AOE, and I know I didnt do more then 50% of damage, but I got plenty of loot. Its how I got my blue skele dog.
  • Options
    knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    If I see someone on the verge of death I'll help them out, if it looks like they can't win before they will be slain. Otherwise, I'll assume they have the situation well in hand and carry on with my own business.
  • Options
    nick1sternnick1stern Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 330 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013

Well heck then how do three people doing damage to a mob or a group of 5 get equal coin and loot.
    It would clearly not be possible under your thoughts as no one could do 50% damage.
    If you hit the mob and do damage you get a share of the loot.
  • Options
    cerebralclowncerebralclown Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I've never heard of anyone having a drive-by healing issue. Diving into the fight obviously bothers some, but random healing? A cleric was doing this to me last night in Hotenow. Fire monsters leap on you from everywhere there and last night, some random cleric's blue circles kept surprise hugging me with their warm, sweet goodness. I was fine with it. And when leveling my cleric to 60, I did this to people all the time. However, that said, it's probably the only interference that would have different 'rules' when it comes to reactions. Regarding the mechanics, I do know that the xp 'stolen' would be nil as they're way too many mobs and not that much xp from killing them anyway, but loot and quest credit, you do have to be involved a good bit somehow. It doesn't take the other person's loot away though, not at all.
  • Options
    azlanfoxazlanfox Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Seeing as this seems to be a major point of contention to some, I have decided that I shall not assist any other player, struggling or not. It just isn't worth the stress or the grief.
    The fox said, "lock and load"

glassdoor.com - Cryptic Studios Review
  • Options
    nick1sternnick1stern Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 330 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    azlanfox wrote: »
    Seeing as this seems to be a major point of contention to some, I have decided that I shall not assist any other player, struggling or not. It just isn't worth the stress or the grief.

Why?
    Only 1 is real over the top crazy about it and 3 others with a mild case of Not getting it.
    You can not KS in this game the Mobs drop individual loot.
    Mobs are not owned by anyone they are fair game.
    If they want stricktly solo play no interaction with others then a single player console is what they should be playing.
  • Options
    tulipvorlaxtulipvorlax Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    When playing in the two first areas, i often received others players help, so i was trying to help when i could.
    But later people were passing by me letting me die.
    It's not the end of the world to die in this game, but i dont like to.
    I think it also depends on the class i'm currently playing.
    When others see me as a level 20 or more Control Wizard, they seems to think that i can handle alone any mob in any number.
    Wich isn't true. Might be because CW was my first class to try and mine isn't correctly builded, but when i have on me two of those mid size demons in Helm Hold area, i'm almost dead before i can kill one of them, even though i'm now at more than level 35 (maybe i need to try this again).
    Another possibility, maybe i'm just terribly bad and should stop playing games like some guy said to me after a game of Halo 3 some years ago.
    I play games because i mostly enjoy playing them.
    I play multiplayer games because i like to encounter people and help others.
    If people dont want my help, i'm sorry.
    On my part, i accept any help. ;-)
  • Options
    jaymadiv#8056 jaymadiv Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The best thing to do is not help in any way shape form or fashion.

Don't attack, don't heal. just stand there and watch. or don't and just move on to the next set of enemies.

if they die, then kill what they left over.

that way, no arrogant little self-righteous jerks have any right to complain about your actions whatsoever.

because they will whine about losing loot, even if they were 1-2 hits away from death and you were just trying to help.
  • Options
    brendan03usbrendan03us Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    jmadfour wrote: »
    The best thing to do is not help in any way shape form or fashion.

Don't attack, don't heal. just stand there and watch. or don't and just move on to the next set of enemies.

if they die, then kill what they left over.

that way, no arrogant little self-righteous jerks have any right to complain about your actions whatsoever.

because they will whine about losing loot, even if they were 1-2 hits away from death and you were just trying to help.

This is what I do, and what I have done, in pretty much every MMO. It's not worth the drama otherwise. Let people live or die -- their problem, not mine.
  • Options
    milkbonedogmilkbonedog Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Just hitting the mob is enough to give you loot no matter how much damage you do. I do not know if it lowers the xp the other player will get because I've never watched my xp gain from a fight when someone jumps in. I do know that killing a mob already tagged will not count towards my quest progression.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited July 2013
    Hitting, or I believe even marking mobs (I.E. with Taunt) is enough to proc loot/rewards (including kill counts).

There is no loss of loot for either side as far as I know and as such it is not really a form of griefing, again as far as I know. I will have to ask to get official confirmation but if you prefer to fight alone and are getting upset that your preference is being inhibited but that person is not hurting you in any other way I do not see anything in the Terms of Service or EULA against it.

I, as well as others, have killed a lot of mobs this past weekend in an attempt to gain the gift boxes. During this time I have been called every word in the book since players wanted to claim entire areas as theirs even if they had just shown up and you had been there for hours previous. It's to the point I simply don't care anymore.

As always I treat people the way they treat me. If you simply say that you would prefer to fight your own mobs then more power to you. Your wish is my command. If you, instead, insult me.*********.get a little hard of hearing because at the end of the day nothing negative happens as long as you effect every single mob before it dies.
  • Options
    ladymythosladymythos Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 637 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Another possibility, maybe i'm just terribly bad and should stop playing games like some guy said to me after a game of Halo 3 some years ago.
    I play games because i mostly enjoy playing them.
    This, right here, should be the only 'rule' we need in gaming. We play because it's fun. Are you bad at it? Put it this way: When I first played Guitar Hero, it took me thirty minutes to get the hang of the Easy setting, and it only has three buttons. But the guitar controller was all new to me, so I had to re-learn how to play. Going from Easy to Medium was even harder, as I was so used to the middle-finger pressing the middle button. So what to do when there are suddenly two middle buttons? A year later, I finally finished 'One' my Metallica on Hard, and I was doing decent on the Expert difficulty. (yes, that's right. It took me a whole year to finish that song on Hard...) All it takes is practice and determination. So basically; If you are having fun, you are playing it right. It doesn't matter what anyone else tells you.

If you enjoy Neverwinter, by all means keep playing it. If you are having a hard time, don't be shy to ask for help. Or join a guild, if you want. Running a dungeon with a bunch of jerks isn't any fun, but doing it with friends can be the best part of the game. Nice people makes that much difference. ;)
    jmadfour wrote: »
    You underestimate jerks. Some will complain that you healed them. Some will complain that you didn't heal them. Most will be angry that they died, and need someone to blame. You were standing right there, so that makes you a target for their anger.
  • Options
    balstromebalstrome Member Posts: 32
    edited July 2013
    Offering any sort of assistance seems to say that the person receiving it is out of their depth and should not be playing in that area. Except of course for me, when I ask for assistance then I should get it. That sounds about right.
  • Options
    satanous1satanous1 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    As someone that likes helping people, I tend to ask if they want my help. If they say no, or I get no reply - I move on. If they fall, I'll pick them up. Usually, at that point I'll just help them kill the mobs, because they would have had to run back anyway.
  • Options
    canukkcanukk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I like helping people with Mobs if i can. Usually if i can i will check and see what their health bar is showing first before i hop in. If they are at good health and doing fine on their own i'll usually be on my merry way. But if they are struggling with a boss ill hop in and chip away at the bosses health and back off and let the player have the killing blows ...

I think it should be encouraged to help players. Maybe a player "help" button if a player is in a mob or dealing with a boss they can hit a key and that pops an icon over their head and lets nearby players know they need assistance. But this would come at a price of sharing the loot though.