test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Gold basically useless?

aeternys123aeternys123 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 149 Bounty Hunter
edited July 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
so I'm about a lvl 50 rogue at this point and I've noticed gold is essentially useless. I can buy useless weapons, useless mounts, useless armor, etc with it of course. The only things useful to spend gold on are potions, injury kits if you die a lot, and skill kits if you aren't playing with friends...

what in the nine hells is the point of gold in this game? I can't get ANYTHING decent with it and I can't even use it on the AH or anywhere else to bargain.

Might as well increase drop chances for pots etc and get rid of injuries as the punishment for dying and just take gold out of the game.
Post edited by aeternys123 on

Comments

• zagemoggazagemogga Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have not spent any gold/silver/copper so far. Only 26 and I lately I spend more time on the Foundry than adventuring.
  • jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I believe that you can send the extra to Low Level Alts., so they can get a jump on Kits, Potions, Skill Kits, and Low Level Companions. Other than that, I can't think of a darn thing myself.

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • aveanavean Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    golds the most valuable resource atm, I know a player who buys epics for cheap from the AP and sells them for 1g, and sells epics he won by greed for gold - And many players have refused trades with AD, and wish to sell their wares for gold as well.

for more clarification, Imagine spending 20s everytime you die, and needing to use a major pot worth 10s every time you are hit(or when needed if you have a healer). For us melee, you will burn your potions in epics, CWs have it lucky.
  • themassakrethemassakre Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm level 40 and I don't have any use for gold nor have I used it for anything lol
  • pilf3rpilf3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It looks shiny!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Neverwinter Thieves Guild
  • aeternys123aeternys123 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 149 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I haven't seen anybody trading for gold at all. Since it's not built into the system like that it's up to the players to come up with uses for it and to not use the AH etc but let's be honest with ourselves here, that will be unlikely anytime soon. Guess I'll just hold onto all my gold and maybe eventually it'll be useful =\
  • jdnycjdnyc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 334 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Get to level 60. Gold is useful.
  • aveanavean Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I haven't seen anybody trading for gold at all. Since it's not built into the system like that it's up to the players to come up with uses for it and to not use the AH etc but let's be honest with ourselves here, that will be unlikely anytime soon. Guess I'll just hold onto all my gold and maybe eventually it'll be useful =\
    it has been done by many, Many Rogues have below 3g
  • aeternys123aeternys123 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 149 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    jdnyc wrote: »
    Get to level 60. Gold is useful.

what makes it useful at 60 compared to every other level?
  • deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    5G for a mount so its useful there
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • aetherchargeaethercharge Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 359 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    what makes it useful at 60 compared to every other level?

Injury Kits and potions for epic dungeons. You will need lots of them and gold is very hard to hold on to.
    edited May 2013
    5G for a mount so its useful there

come on death we both know thats nonsense. you need AD to make those mounts worthwhile anyway (not just 50% bonus speed)

Injury Kits and potions for epic dungeons. You will need lots of them and gold is very hard to hold on to.

Ah.. I guess that could be true. Depends on how successful your group is and all that but yeah I get your point there. Guess I'll hold onto it for epic dungeons then.
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Actually even a basic mount is just fine as it gives a decent speed bonus. Now companions are almost useless late-game without spending AD on them.
    edited May 2013
    mconosrep wrote: »
    Actually even a basic mount is just fine as it gives a decent speed bonus. Now companions are almost useless late-game without spending AD on them.

I'd rather run than have a 50% mount in this game. Luckily I have that **** spider anyway
    edited May 2013
    come on death we both know thats nonsense. you need AD to make those mounts worthwhile anyway (not just 50% bonus speed)
    Ah.. I guess that could be true. Depends on how successful your group is and all that but yeah I get your point there. Guess I'll hold onto it for epic dungeons then.

Guess I should Clear up something has hasnt been mentioned yet.
    Most gold gain comes from selling Greens, and picking up copper.
    Lvl 60 Ident scrolls dont drop(if they do then not in epics), so you cant Ident the gear for more profit.
    your also rolling against 4 other players, which for most is at least 3 more than while leveling.
    Each green sells for 1s, each kill is around 7-8c. You generally only leave with 3-10 greens.
    Each death is 20s, and each potion is around 10s. some Elite hits are for over 12k, and the potions only heal 8.5
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'd rather run than have a 50% mount in this game. Luckily I have that **** spider anyway

Why would you rather run - even just a 50% increase lets you run past (most) enemies so much easier. I am not saying that the higher level mounts aren't better - of course they are. It is just for a paltry amount of gold you get a pretty helpful benefit, and it isn't essential to upgrade them using AD. (Unlike say the Companion where non-upgraded ones start becoming rapidly less useful after a while).
  • damarinasaidamarinasai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I believe you need a lot of potions and other supplies for high level dungeons, so yeah gold is quite usefull. Of course you can share with other players, especially those with low level. :D
    Those who are allowed to shoot are those who are prepared to be shot.
  • bobzebrickbobzebrick Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    They basically made it completely useless so you have to buy zen to turn into astral diamonds to do anything of worth. Especially with the 24k refine limit per day. It's basically to force you to buy to play to compete at end game. This is the reason this game is garbage. To be honest Cyptic and PWE are like a gamers worst nightmare, all Cryptic do are milk huge existing franchises like Marvel, Star Trek and now DnD, and well PWEs track record speaks for itself. It's a shame too because the game would be pretty decent if it didn't force me to the zen store to do anything meaningful.
  • muttkickermuttkicker Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    bobzebrick wrote: »
    They basically made it completely useless so you have to buy zen to turn into astral diamonds to do anything of worth. Especially with the 24k refine limit per day. It's basically to force you to buy to play to compete at end game. This is the reason this game is garbage. To be honest Cyptic and PWE are like a gamers worst nightmare, all Cryptic do are milk huge existing franchises like Marvel, Star Trek and now DnD, and well PWEs track record speaks for itself. It's a shame too because the game would be pretty decent if it didn't force me to the zen store to do anything meaningful.

This is a free-to-play game. Cryptic/PWE use the best model for F2P games that I have yet seen.

In other F2P games, the model is a single currency of P2W (Pay-to-win), that requires a cash purchase of "special" currency to attain what is needed to advance.

Cryptic/PWE is using a two-way system. With elements of P2W, C/PWE allows F2P players to use in-game currencies to purchase on the open market their Zen for purchasing things normally only bought with cash.

That is a total win for players.

To say that C/PWE is greedy and evil and your mom's worst nightmare is just silly. They have the absolute best f2p-cash-p2w system there is. Totally f2p players can buy every single item in their Zen-store by translating AD to Zen. Complaining about it is... already said: silly.
  • dirtyhookdirtyhook Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Gold is essential at level 60 for Pots and kits. If you go to protectors enclave you will see many people selling items for gold (usually keys).
  • jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    muttkicker wrote: »
    this is a free-to-play game. Cryptic/pwe use the best model for f2p games that i have yet seen.

In other f2p games, the model is a single currency of p2w (pay-to-win), that requires a cash purchase of "special" currency to attain what is needed to advance.

Cryptic/pwe is using a two-way system. With elements of p2w, c/pwe allows f2p players to use in-game currencies to purchase on the open market their zen for purchasing things normally only bought with cash.

That is a total win for players.

To say that c/pwe is greedy and evil and your mom's worst nightmare is just silly. They have the absolute best f2p-cash-p2w system there is. Totally f2p players can buy every single item in their zen-store by translating ad to zen. Complaining about it is... Already said: Silly.

brains! Brains! Brains! BRAINNNNNNNNS............

Lurches off in search of fresh victims

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • dost420dost420 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    you guys must be blind. The moment you enter PE, if u haven't seen zone chat buzzing with guys announcing trade offers(99.9%) in gold.
    God!! how can u miss that. All p2p trade happens in gold. there is no other currency(look at you trade option when you interact with other players) + there is no 10% fee like in case of Auction House.

after trading non-stop for weeks i can say this:>
    1. gold trading is a must if u want items at a discounted price. [item value=150kAD approx or less.]
    2. higher valued items are always traded with AD.
    3. sometimes you get a very good deal that is just soooooo good.
    4. if you want to skip 10% fee. (for e.g. a 40kAD item that you sell, gives you only 36k)
    5. if you want to have the real fun of trading directly and enjoy p2p talks and interaction.[AH is too mechanical]
    6. blah blah blah... list goes on..