test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

When will American Express be accepted for game related purchases?

draemorindraemorin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 80
edited July 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Quite frankly, I'm tired of dusting off my Visa card upon finding a vendor doesn't accept American Express/Amex cards for purchases.

I'm pretty sure I awoke this morning and it was 07-24-2013.
Post edited by draemorin on

Comments

• ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited July 2013
    I do not know the Official Answer as to why Cryptic/PWE doesn't accept American Express...

But I do know why American Express is the only major credit card company which is not virtually universally accepted throughout the United States: outrageous vendor fees.
    Typically at least double the fee of any other card company.

That might be why Cryptic/PWE doesn't accept them, I can't say for sure, but that is why most vendors refuse to deal business with them.
    It has nothing to do with the inability to accept AmEx but the refusal to. ;)
  • darklock101darklock101 Member Posts: 52
    edited July 2013
    Because Amex's business practices are much less merchant-friendly than other credit card companies.

http://blog.chargesmart.com/2011/09/not-accept-american-express/
  • chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited July 2013
    Because American Express charges insane credit card fees. Most people don't know this..but the CC companies charges fees to the vendor the moment someone uses their CC to purchase. These fees might be something like a dime per transaction but they do add up to significant amounts.

Plus AMEX is not as widely used or as big as VISA or MASTERCARD.

The article above nailed it.. Chargebacks are a huge problem esp fraud are a huge problem right now. People also abuse it. AMEX policy will almost always side with their customers making it problematic for vendors. Imagine you're a business owner and someone buy your stuff, used it, then make a chargeback making you lose money and on top of that charges you insane transaction fees. You would have really no reason to use or accept AMEX.
  • brendan03usbrendan03us Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Exactly. Amex takes a much bigger cut than other card issuers do, so many businesses just say no.
  • radiick507radiick507 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I use my Amex card via Paypal all the time (only way for me to pay by cc anyways) when purchasing anything for Perfect Word, actually I never have the option to pay directly via credit card it always brings me either to PayPal or the other internet payment processing company they use here.
  • draemorindraemorin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 80
    edited July 2013
    I refuse to use PayPal... that vendor is full of fraud/credit card information theft. If you're not aware already... PayPal sells your registration information and sometime thereafter you may receive virus e-mails from whomever they sold your personal information to.