test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

INT-based GWFs

l0th4ri0l0th4ri0 Member Posts: 589 Arc User
edited January 2014 in The Militia Barracks
Hey, just wondering if anybody out there is running with this right now, or has tried it out. I'm leveling one ATM and it's pretty funny, actually.
Post edited by l0th4ri0 on

Comments

• Options
    honoraryorangehonoraryorange Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    How is it funny? How all it does is give you a very minor recharge bonus.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Hi orange!

It's funny because even with my craptastic stats (10 STR 11 DEX) it's still good enough to get by and fun to play. Having a starting INT of 18 (with half-elf racial) does give a noticeable boost to CDs... so I'm cycling through my encounters pretty quick and generating a lot of AP as a result. I'm only level 23 right now, but I've been able to pop a daily in just about every fight with a bandit officer (blackdagger ruins), and I don't remember being able to do that with any of my other GWFs I've messed around with. :)
  • Options
    veleriawhitewolfveleriawhitewolf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 68
    edited July 2013
    This will work fine to level up, You will likely notice problems later on when you are doing 6 - 8% less base damage and crit chance. I have run with almost 4k recovery and the only route i see this could be effective is a slam spam build that uses "when you cast a daily power" effects. It doesn't seem that it will make up the balance but I'd love to be proven wrong.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Hi veleria, yes I can see that missing damage being an issue. Being able to toss around dailies could make up for it, as long as I'm staying on top of my rotations and getting the most out of the recharge bonus. Thankfully, the CON bonus to armorpen is working now, and I am stacking CON as well as INT, so that might help a little. I do intend to play this out to see what happens. :)
  • Options
    pelkastpelkast Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    What about avalanche of steel spam (+steel grace)? :cool:
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    pelkast wrote: »

Haha, I'm actually spamming avalanche right now instead of slam. Since you are essentially taken out of the fight for 5 seconds (or thereabouts) during the insane mid-air leap, it acts like a 5-second CD reducer as well as a very big AoE (without a target cap) that does pretty decent damage -- enough to shatter any trash mobs and take a nice chunk out of the elites.

Slam has about a 10 second duration, and ticks 11 times. After all is said and done, it does slightly more damage than Avalanche if you keep the mobs in the AoE during each pulse. But it has a 5 target cap per pulse... so if you have more than 6 targets around you, Avalanche technically does more total damage (for whatever that is worth).

I really like Slam too, but I'm just having too much fun with Avalanche right now and hitting one almost every little tussle I get into. :)
  • Options
    katbozejziemikatbozejziemi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    You have 10 STR even though the lowest possible roll for primary ability score is 15?
    pelkast wrote: »
    What about it? INT bonus only reduces cooldowns, it does not increase AP gain like recovery does.
  • Options
    copticonecopticone Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    This will work fine to level up, You will likely notice problems later on when you are doing 6 - 8% less base damage and crit chance. I have run with almost 4k recovery and the only route i see this could be effective is a slam spam build that uses "when you cast a daily power" effects. It doesn't seem that it will make up the balance but I'd love to be proven wrong.

I don't even think it is worth it for a daily spam build. INT only decreases the cooldown of encounters, unlike Recovery which does that and increase AP recharge. Yes you would indirectly get higher AP recharge if you have shorter CD on encounters like Roar and Daring Should, but you can do pretty much the same thing with a couple of feats in Destro, without stretching your ability scores thin like this.
    l0th4ri0 wrote: »
    Haha, I'm actually spamming avalanche right now instead of slam. Since you are essentially taken out of the fight for 5 seconds (or thereabouts) during the insane mid-air leap, it acts like a 5-second CD reducer as well as a very big AoE (without a target cap) that does pretty decent damage -- enough to shatter any trash mobs and take a nice chunk out of the elites.

Slam has about a 10 second duration, and ticks 11 times. After all is said and done, it does slightly more damage than Avalanche if you keep the mobs in the AoE during each pulse. But it has a 5 target cap per pulse... so if you have more than 6 targets around you, Avalanche technically does more total damage (for whatever that is worth).

I really like Slam too, but I'm just having too much fun with Avalanche right now and hitting one almost every little tussle I get into. :)

That is not quite accurate, because in practice Slam cast time is a split second and you continue to dps while it is active with At-wills or other encounters. So during the 5sec or so you are flying in the air, you could have been doing a good full two rounds of WS or 4-5 rounds of WMS. In a sense using slam allows you to do like triple the damage in the same time frame you would use Avalanche.
    Check out my personal Nerf Proof T2 Thaumaturge Build.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Hi katboze,

Yes I have a 10 STR and 11 DEX. There is a rare, high-INT weird stats roll available at char creation for the GWFs. You have 10 STR, 11 CON and 11 DEX from that roll. Since I picked half-elf for my race, I got +2 to CON and +1 to INT/WIS/CHA each.

Capticone,

This is not a min-max build, for sure. Just a fun experiment... something different. But about Slam vs. Avalanche I have to disagree... kinda.

Everything you said was right. Yes, you can keep attacking right through the slam duration and pour on great DPS as well as have controlled mobs that are getting nailed by the AoE. Slam is awesome.

HOWEVER

If you are running solo and not in a group (as I am ATM), then anything that causes the mobs to stop attacking or have any effect on you turns into a "time stop", in a manner of speaking. Since the mobs can't do anything to you while you are airborne, and you can't do anything to them... then the game might as well be "paused" during the avalanche leap. As far as all the participants in the fight are concerned, nothing is happening. THEN the avalanche lands, doing pretty decent damage to everything in that big ole AoE.

If you think about it, Avalanche in this solo setting is actually AoE instant burst damage -- that reduces your CDs by 5 seconds or whatever it is. :)
  • Options
    aseconddrfaseconddrf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    i have an elric build. works pretty well w/ healers in the area. still working on the life-steal aspect.
  • Options
    edited July 2013

Capticone,

This is not a min-max build, for sure. Just a fun experiment... something different. But about Slam vs. Avalanche I have to disagree... kinda.

Everything you said was right. Yes, you can keep attacking right through the slam duration and pour on great DPS as well as have controlled mobs that are getting nailed by the AoE. Slam is awesome.

HOWEVER

If you are running solo and not in a group (as I am ATM), then anything that causes the mobs to stop attacking or have any effect on you turns into a "time stop", in a manner of speaking. Since the mobs can't do anything to you while you are airborne, and you can't do anything to them... then the game might as well be "paused" during the avalanche leap. As far as all the participants in the fight are concerned, nothing is happening. THEN the avalanche lands, doing pretty decent damage to everything in that big ole AoE.

If you think about it, Avalanche in this solo setting is actually AoE instant burst damage -- that reduces your CDs by 5 seconds or whatever it is. :)

I totally understand what you are saying. My comments are usually for end game purposes. And I totally appreciate doing something "different" and/or just for fun. Avalanche is a daily I would have loved to keep as a main. I used it while leveling up. But once I saw what I can do with Roar + Daring Shout + Life Steal, I personally never found a need for those "Time Stop" moments.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    copticone wrote: »
    I totally understand what you are saying. My comments are usually for end game purposes. And I totally appreciate doing something "different" and/or just for fun. Avalanche is a daily I would have loved to keep as a main. I used it while leveling up. But once I saw what I can do with Roar + Daring Shout + Life Steal, I personally never found a need for those "Time Stop" moments.

Gotcha. Thanks for your comments, I appreciate any feedback/ideas or whatever... and I value the collective insight of the GWF community. If this build turns out to be somewhat partially half-decent at something, then maybe somebody else can learn from my little experiment here, and/or try it out for a laugh or two. There is something inherently funny about wielding a giant sword while being a total wimp. :)
  • Options
    tarmalentarmalen Member Posts: 1,020 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    I am very interested in your findings. Keep us posted.

Since you use avalanche have you tested steadfast? I would think the 5 seconds of extra combat determination would work well with the concept.
  • Options
    katbozejziemikatbozejziemi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Yes I have a 10 STR and 11 DEX. There is a rare, high-INT weird stats roll available at char creation for the GWFs. You have 10 STR, 11 CON and 11 DEX from that roll. Since I picked half-elf for my race, I got +2 to CON and +1 to INT/WIS/CHA each.
    Sounds like you're playing a different game.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    tarmalen wrote: »
    I am very interested in your findings. Keep us posted.

Since you use avalanche have you tested steadfast? I would think the 5 seconds of extra combat determination would work well with the concept.

Oh yes, I am using steadfast... it is helping. Not a lot -- even with 3 ranks -- but it's there. I'm using anything I can to get determination: reaping, roar, you name it. I'm even not wearing chest armor to keep my AC lower! LOL but that's more just for giggles than out of any kind of attempt to min-max this out any more. I don't even know if going armorless actually builds determination faster or not. I DO know that it makes PVE a little more challenging, and therefore more fun.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Sounds like you're playing a different game.

Hahaha, this IS a weird build. I will not try to deny that. :)

Here's my char at level 25 right now:
    intgwfstats_zpsed3101ec.jpg

Note that my AC is somehow 16 instead of 10... I have no idea why that is. It's been 16 since level 1.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Bad news on this build, folks...

The last patch ruined the stats distribution... so much for any non-cookie-cutter GWF builds. Thanks, Cryptic! :(

statsgwf_zpsf7b726c0.jpg

So I'm done with this char now.... no point in playing it anymore. Maybe I'll reroll to a DC or something.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    What changes to GWF besides Unstoppable nerf? I mean that alone pissed me off, but didn't really see anything else.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Hi, copticone!

Look at my STR/CON/DEX and whatnot in the two screeners of my char sheet in the previous posts above.

The entire idea of this build was to base it around that high INT I had from char creation, and see what happened with such a low STR/DEX. Now my STR/CON/DEX is 18/18/14 and my INT went down due to the patch. Might as well be any other kind of GWF at this point.
  • Options
    honoraryorangehonoraryorange Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The patch did you a favor.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    The patch did you a favor.

LOL

No, because I would have rather had a harder time and had fun if the build hadn't worked out. Now it's just more of the same that I've already done. <Yawn>
  • Options
    pelkastpelkast Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    **** it cryptic! I was following your thread with interest for something new build this time. Cryptic's hammer smashed you back to the masses.

Have you tried to roll anything that close favoring the int?

Also it's kind of boring that the rolls are almost exactly the same, only with 2 points of differences on the class's main stats..
  • Options
    tarmalentarmalen Member Posts: 1,020 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Why would they patch the stat distribution? That makes NO sense. You might want to get a mod or devs attention...politely...and ascertain just WTF???
  • Options
    gridwardengridwarden Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Irritating. My L60 GWF is no longer fun to play since they switched out her high-INT scores. I submitted a ticket and hopefully I can get them restored or get a FULL respec.
  • Options
    xbaldarovxbaldarov Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    No more update on this thread, so whats going on with stats now? Is it still possible to make an int GWF if you start from scracth?
  • Options
    masterjewstarmasterjewstar Member Posts: 563
    edited January 2014
    It's a shame though, it sounded like an interesting idea.
  • Options
    ortzhyortzhy Member Posts: 1,103 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    well you can make a high recovery GWF with Unstoppable Action. I am playing one atm, after a discussion held in another thread, and i have to say is a pretty solid build.
  • Options
    slushpsychoslushpsycho Member Posts: 657 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    If I gonna do anything INT-based troll.

Hands down GF for ultimate ping pong machine...