test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Best tank companion money can buy?

tanaris1980tanaris1980 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 12 Arc User
edited July 2013 in PvE Discussion
Hi all,

Looking for a tank companion to go on adventures with my DC. Which one is the best (in ZEN store or otherwise available)?

Thanks!
Post edited by tanaris1980 on

Comments

• oghieroghier Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 84
    edited April 2013
    The selection of tank companions is limited. Moreover, I have seen only one that is purple, indicating it can level to 30 (max rank for companions. That is the Galeb Duhr, available from the zen store for 3k zen (about $30). I have been using him for about 24 hours. He's only up to rank 11 so far, but I find him reasonably effective on my cleric:

- He's fairly good at keeping aggro on one target.
    - He is not at all good at keeping aggro on multiples, as his attacks are not AoE.
    - His damage is mediocre.
    - He is hardy, except that (like all companions) he stands in AoE without regard for danger
    - His voiceovers are pretty cool "Rock... Endures."

At higher ranks, he gains health regeneration, as well.

Note, I didn't play in the betas. I just started a few days ago, with the Guardian launch. There's a lot I don't know, so perhaps someone with more playtime can add to the discussion :)
    - Snit (Cleric, Dragon Server)
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I agree - I've had a LOT of different companions in beta weekends and all that - even the Honey badger. But the Galeb Duhr (forget how ugly it is) is by far the best companion I've had among all of them (even after they fix the Panther, I suspect) for all the reasons stated above plus this one most important of all reasons:

He will Agro the boss and does a pretty good job keeping the boss busy while you handle a few adds and get behind him to have increased damage. I don;t care about how much damage the Galeb does, just the fact that he keeps the most powerful of most mobs (and bosses) generally busy is a *life saver* for me.

I just completed some heavy-duty bosses on Neverdeath (Cleric. level 29 at the time) and that was my first boss with Galeb and with it's help it was the easiest solo Boss fight I've had, *evar*!

I have four companions: Panther, Dog (freebie), The firebird thing from a lockbox, and Gelb Duhr. Galeb is always out - I switch to Dog when he's training. Panther is hosed and needs to be fixed (I put it into inactive for now - might just delete it). Firebird thing is okay - it's a purple, but I don;t much like it. The dog will knock-down when in combat advantage, but I will never fight a boss without my Galeb.
  • difinitusdifinitus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    As a DC, the best tank companion is going to be the Galeb Duhr like everyone said. I however did not take him and opted for the cat instead because I was able to find a solid lvling group that had a GF and did not need Galeb. However, had I gone solo I definitely would've taken the rock golem.
  • aandiin02aandiin02 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Until they release the upgrade companion things from the Companion shop, Galeb is the best aka the one you can level up the highest.
    My man-at-arms is maxxed out at lvl 15 and still rocks at 38 tho.....can't wait to get him upgraded all the way. Didn't like the looks of Galeb so i didn't buy it.

And as a CW a tanky companion is a must :)
  • nemesis788450nemesis788450 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    the question to me is - is the tank companion smart, does he automatically select and taunt the strongest enemy, or can i adjust his behavior (i know i cant) - because if he just taunts the very first trash mob, hes completly useless....if the taunts the strong guy, he would be the very best companion for a gwf
  • kotlikotli Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 577
    edited May 2013
    Depends on what mob gets hit first or lands first hit (this is the one pets focuses on to start with). Dunno what decides the next target.

From my testing CW got easiest to use go attack this power in his/her cold/freeze ray at will just tap cast it, so it hits but does zero damage (and therefore zero agro) but still triggers pet to attack. This causes pet runs in to fight and he will also grabs the agro of every mob.

Man At Arms got a lower Cool down on his taunt and so is better vs mass mobs than the Galeb Duhr.
  • novronnovron Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kotli wrote: »
    Depends on what mob gets hit first or lands first hit (this is the one pets focuses on to start with). Dunno what decides the next target.

From my testing CW got easiest to use go attack this power in his/her cold/freeze ray at will just tap cast it, so it hits but does zero damage (and therefore zero agro) but still triggers pet to attack. This causes pet runs in to fight and he will also grabs the agro of every mob.

Man At Arms got a lower Cool down on his taunt and so is better vs mass mobs than the Galeb Duhr.

Unfortunately, man at arms only goes to rank 15. But good to have both.
  • raithwynraithwyn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I hate Galeb. His taunt is on a 2min cool down. He might get you aggro from a single mob/boss but he never holds it. He never gets aggro for all the adds and trash so you'll end up doing the teleport two-step every time. Yeah he can take a beating; but 80% of the time I'm the one taking the beating with this companion out.
  • jawarisinjawarisin Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    If you really want the best, dont look for any tank companion, take the cat (roughly 1m ad) or 30-32$ depending on zen market it will allow to dominate and destroy anything from level 1 to 60 and make you nearly invincible.
    CW Renegade comprehensive build+guide PvP:
    Here for the build+guide