test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Question for those who have Galeb Duhr companion

crazyfabio000crazyfabio000 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 5 Arc User
edited July 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
If you are one of the few that owns one, can you tell me if they are a solid tank pet or not? I'm currently using the Man at Arms, and he's just not that great in my opinion.
Post edited by crazyfabio000 on

Comments

• Options
    abaddonxkabaddonxk Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    He's one of the very best companions available, and certainly the best tank.
  • Options
    xadfrostxadfrost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Except for the fact that he has trouble holding agro. For some reason Hurl Rocks has a two minute cooldown, which to me is very useless. It feels like it should be two seconds. It does very little damage in an area and it taunt the primary target. With the agro problems it seems like it should be 2 seconds.
  • Options
    alopexiaalopexia Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 16
    edited May 2013
    The pet is great at taking damage - I rarely have to heal it, but it doesn't really hold agro as mentioned before. I find usually it will keep one mob occupied while I "tank" and try to dps the others (I play a cleric), but every once in a while that mob will still switch to me. I think an AoE taunt on this pet would be great, or definitely a reduced cd on the single target one.

A couple times I was able to get it to tank a group of mobs but it was mostly due to positioning and me not being in range.
  • Options
    oghieroghier Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 84
    edited May 2013
    I use a Galeb Duhr on my cleric while solo. I'm currently 44, and he's 24. Notes:

- He almost never dies (I heal him)
    - On a single critter, he holds aggro for about 10 seconds of every 15
    - He doesn't hold AoE aggro at all

Overall, I'm happy with the little fella. His voiceovers are also pretty cool :)
    - Snit (Cleric, Dragon Server)
  • Options
    famousamos#6123 famousamos Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Pet's/companions in this game could use a major re-vamp. The panther and dire wolf companions that came with hero and guardian packs are just flawed. They stand there half the time and do not start to attack until the fight is 80% over. The in game companions like man at arms, control wiz etc.. are pretty much useless too. I got the cleric healer and she throws a hot on me only after the fight is over, never heals during combat and the heals are rather useless. As for the cash shop pets I cannot say much, except one person I know has the honeybadger and pretty much says the same thing as I have. The AI needs major tweaking.
  • Options
    lordfuzunlordfuzun Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 54
    edited May 2013
    It would help Companion use a lot if you work with the game AI. The Companion AI is passive and assist mode normally. That means it won't go out its way to attack a spawn you are trying to avoid. And at the start of combat it will target whatever NPC, you have targeted and attack. I haven't quite pinned down their in combat. But it seems to be assist mode override if you are targeted and taking damage.

To work with the Companion AI (and the game aggro game mechanics), you need to target and attack what want you dense, little friend to tank. But you don't want to build up a lot of threat on the boss, so hit the boss with one attack and dodge/block/whatever out of the way and let you Galeb Dhur attack and get the Boss's aggro. That will free you up to handle the small fry.
  • Options
    cthulhufhtagn666cthulhufhtagn666 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This isn't true. The phoenix companion is great. Attacks all the time, but yes, it doesnt seek out it's own targets.
    They need to implement the companion AI from Star Trek Online. Considering it heavily relies on it. Sure, they are flawed, but they are much better - AI wise.

The biggest issue, and it is plaguing me, is that my Galeb doesn't attack. At all. He just stands there.
  • Options
    silestesileste Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The Galeb does attack, just not often enough. There was one time when mine pulled all mobs off of me and kept the threat off of me until they were died. That only happened once, sadly. Thought the point of it being a pet is to be able to instruct your pet on what to do. All of my pets are extremely disobedient, even with all the training they do. D:

Overall I still love it.
    NWDC-2_zps52f863ab.png
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I was floundering at boss fights in PvE with the three different companions I had (Dog, Phoenix-like bird from Lockbox and Panther I got with HotN) - upcoming boss fights made me anxious because they were always a bish to deal with. as a Cleric. But since I've acquired the Galeb Dhur - those boss fights are real manageable. Panther's in storage, the dog and bird I use in zones and some instances while Galeb is training-up. But I *always* summon Galeb when in an instance where the elites are often found.

My last big boss fight I got a surprise (at Helm's Hold Cathedral): Galeb was holding bosses attention so well and I was handling the adds (and avoiding like crazy, jumping around I lost orientation) - then when I finally cleared all the adds I turned to face the boss and... and... I couldn't find her. Galeb finished her off all on his own little self.

THAT one time made the purchase so worth it.
  • Options
    raithwynraithwyn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I find Galeb mostly useless. As mentioned above his taunt is on a 2min cool down so he just doesn't gain aggro or hold it. He may get aggro on one mob, depends on if his taunt is up or not. He will not aggro groups. I'm a wizard and 80% of the time if I don't outright kill trash mobs right off I'm getting hammered on in no time and doing the teleport two-step with him as my companion. The Man-At-Arms (who I got for free) might not last as long as Galeb, but he gets and holds aggro for me every time making it safe for me to fire away. A tank that can't do that is just screen clutter. Galeb is a waste of money that's why you don't see many people with him. Worst part is the guys and gals at PW know it and aren't doing a dang thing about it.
  • Options
    tarmalentarmalen Member Posts: 1,020 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    AI on a companion ... yeah... that won't change anytime soon. Well except for the patch notes that just came out...but I digress.

They don't want smart companions with awesome abilities. They want you to always seek out better. Psychology 101.

Zen store is that away -->.

PWI I expect a .01% cut.
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    raithwyn wrote: »
    Stuffs

Wow, good thing you responded only 3 months after the question. The OP was probably this close -> <- to giving up on waiting for the answer. Glad you saved that one. :rolleyes: