test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How about some Arena Brackets? (Suggestions Welcome)

mercurial257mercurial257 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited July 2013 in PvE Discussion
Before anyone explodes, hear me out. This could be a feature that benefits just pvp players...but also foundry creators. I'm sure we all have joined pugs and sometimes been up against promenades. First and foremost, joining a pug is essentially a risk. Either you have good players with good gear or less skilled players with..well...bad gear. Being in a pug and going up against a premade is basically like trying to push a sem-truck up hill...in sand....with no tires...and thats stuck in park position. As a pug group, it pretty much wont work out for you no matter how hard you try.

A noticeable thing to note here is while your pug team gets completely obliterated, the opposing team is probably having no fun. Everyone in your pug vs the premade usually gives up or leaves and the winning team is just there to...well...sit there and win. Not a challenge, not even remotely fun (what good is your power when you can't even fight anyone). Keep reading.

From what I've gathered from most people..is that a lot of people seem bored once they are geared out. They pvp to waste time, earn some gear, or just to make some extra glory to buy/sell items on the ah. For those of you that like pvp in this game, and have decent gear, you should be ecstatic about this idea. I mean how annoying is it to fight in pvp or to join a match, and 5 minutes in, the entire opposing team leaves? It just sucks. Inb4 "make your own premade".

What id suggest is an Arena bracket. These brackets can go from 2v2, 3v3, and yes even 5v5. (Inb4 Guant and WoW reference). The arena brackets would be easier for players to form, and fight in a ranking system. Instead of these massive 20v20 fights (which are fine don't get me wrong), having a 2v2 bracket and so forth where people could make and team and queue up w/ friends or partners could appeal to a lot of people. Its faster, easier to form, brings a sense of accomplish or recognition to those who pvp (In the forms of ranking and rating). The reason I wouldn't include 1 v 1 is because it is unfair to DC's. Duels would be nice though. Here's the set-up.

For a 2v2 or 3v3 bracket, there would be a static time limit of 5 or 10 minutes. To avoid the "matches would only last 10 seconds cause two TR/gwf would just tunnel the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> out of 1 person mentality", the objective would be whichever team has the most kills at the end of the time limit, wins. This is to make fights and matches last longer instead of a fight that lasts 10 seconds. Also, to avoid being totally helpless when your at a disadvantage, every time you kill a member of the opposing team, they LOSE a point. So, in total, every time you kill someone, they lose a point and you gain a point.

The same could go for 5v5. However, in terms of balance and to avoid chaos, 5v5 matches would still be objective based, and which ever team has the most points after 10 minutes wins; instead of the cap of 1000. The 5 v 5 maps would still be the same.

All arena types aside from 5v5 bracket would be Colosseum like arenas. Relatively small, and no mounts allowed. The use of healing potions could be allowed, but that's up to you guys. Another perk is that this could gives foundry creators the power to create arena maps for pvp, and, once approved, could be added into the random arena queue.

The reason that this could appeal to pvpers is that now there is a definite reason and satisfaction to pvp. For the arena bracket, realm queue could be merged, allowing for faster queue times and more varieties of opponents/players. Every time your team wins, you gain rating. Every time you lose, you lose rating. Im sure there's a mathematical equation to this, but i don't want to get too advanced here.There would be a column that displays the top ranking team in your realm, and also between all the realms, showing wins and losses each day/week/total. In addition, a search function for finding select teams and players. Every team can have up to 5 players in that joined team, and each time a new member is substituted, your rating will go up to the highest point and then cut in half from when the two players played with each.

For example: Marc used to play with john up to 1500 (highest rating). Marc is now playing with Chris, and he hates Chris because they are stuck at 1000. Marc now ditches Chris and goes back to playing with john. Their rating now goes 750 (to avoid entire restart). The only time where your rating would completely reset is if you create a new team...or join a new team. As if said before, I'm sure there is a mathematical algorithm for this but I don't know it. I'm trying....give me a break!

The rewards could be anything. Cosmetics, mounts, dyes, etc. At the end of every week or month, the top teams or teams at a certain rating and plus could get something. I don't know what it would be, but I'm sure pw and fellow players could come up with something. So case and point, this system could allow more pvpers to get into some engaging and rewarding pvp, fight for prestige and titles, and show whose team is boss on their server or even between all servers. If you don't like competitive pvp, the go join a pug. With the arena bracket, all teams are "premades". This would also encourage foundry creators to make maps that are up for suggestion. Also, for duels, make it where it transport you and your opponent to a coliseum to dish it out. This is for those who want 1 v 1.

Thoughts? Would any pvper like this?
Post edited by mercurial257 on

Comments

• nazboznazboz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    would be nice
  • cgkegarocgkegaro Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    IMHO I think they could just simply make use of a system that is already in place... gear score. Break it down into brackets [7000-8000], [8000-9000], [9000-10000], and so on. This way when you enter PvP and you have a GS of say 9200, you don't get matched up against a group of fully decked out players with 11,000+ GS.

As per the example above: Marc and John both have a gear of roughly 9,500. John upgrades his armor and now has a GS of 10,400 and is therefore placed in the higher bracket. This also means that he can no longer group with Marc for PvP.
    There are 4 options here I can think of the top of my head:
    1. Marc upgrades his armor to match roughly what John has.
    2. Marc starts playing PvP with Chris, who has a similar GS to his.
    3. John retains an extra set of armor that keeps him in the same bracket as Marc.
    4. John starts playing PvP with Bob who is in the same bracket that John is now in.

Personally I have pretty much given up on PvP at this point and only go in for my 4 dailies and single GG PvP matches for the AD. I'm tired of being placed in pugs that get completely destroyed, has players leave, gain almost no glory of my effort, and usually get mocked by the OP pre-made and told to L2P. And before you simply reply get your own pre-made... I am working on that, just waiting for enough guild members to get geared up.

But anyways, I think breaking up the PvP by GS would make the matches more balanced and enjoyable for all involved. I think it would also cut down on the leavers who figure they have no chance and are just wasting their time. Granted it would be a slight inconvenience at first, but in the long run I think it would help out greatly.

One more thing I would add would be to normalize mount speeds in PvP.

Anywho, just my thoughts and opinions.
  • ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    cgkegaro wrote: »
    IMHO I think they could just simply make use of a system that is already in place... gear score. Break it down into brackets [7000-8000], [8000-9000], [9000-10000], and so on. This way when you enter PvP and you have a GS of say 9200, you don't get matched up against a group of fully decked out players with 11,000+ GS.

Bad idea... As I play a GWF Sent with Tene spec, alot of BiS gear is blue items... Meaning my GS is about 10k but it wouldnt even be a fair fight versus other 10k GS players...

Shouldnt be based on GS but player skill... So give a rating system...

See my thread about this: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?405071-PVP-Suggestions-To-the-Devs-if-you-want-to-fix-PVP
  • kabothoriginalkabothoriginal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 465 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    People would just rig their gear scores, for BiS for that bracket. Bad pvp'ers are still bad and you get more glory for it. Not to mention Weapon and Armor enchantments do not affect GS at all. So someone with perfect Vorpal or Soulforged chants will still get in. Then there is the Divine Emmisary set that artificially and erroneously lowers GS numbers by 500 pts too.

I use to get ripped up in PVP all the time, I got better and I got better gear (definitely not BiS though LOL), and I do a lot better. However, against good premades I get shredded like nothing, especially if their gear is better, but it made me much better at pvp getting curb stomped.
  • abombination247abombination247 Member Posts: 1,279 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Yea all good idea and I proposed them before. There should be 5 maps for Domination battle ground 10v10 not ranked. Then 2v2,3v3,5v5 arena on a rating win-loss system.

Of course we would need to get rid of the bugged Tene's so they aren't even a factor and have some balancing once a actualy PvP system like this is in place.