test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Since changes to GF is Conquer build still #1 path

jdenn01jdenn01 Member Posts: 39 Arc User
edited July 2013 in The Militia Barracks
Is the conqueror build still the best path for the GF?
I am concerned that the final feat which boost our power based on shield meter may seem not so good. At beginning of battle it looks good but in the fight when you have to use your shield for protection you will reduce the meter and in effect reduce your overall effectiveness. I am aware the gear score is boosted by this and that is what other look at for end game runs.
Based on y'all's experince is this still a good path?
Do you have issues with the shield meter in fights?
Is it possible to go down both conqueror and protector and get the 10% DMG reduction to shield meter plus 9% dmg boost to cleave, stab and shield slam and stil be effective?

Thanks for any input!
I tried the other classes and keep coming back to my GF cause it is fun to play.
Now I want to make sure I can be useful and wanted.
Still learning the big fight so I can move effectively in them.

Skill is more important than gear in my opinion.
Post edited by jdenn01 on

Comments

• petpet2petpet2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I haven't tried other paths beside the Conqueror. It boils down to what you're looking for when you're playing your character. I play mostly PvE.

In my opinion, a GF's main role is to help control aggro. So shield down or not, you can still hold aggro. And you can do that with the Conqueror. My shield almost never went down during fighting Draco.

The shield doesn't take too long to charge up. Be selective when you hold your SHIFT button. I use it charge AP mostly. Most of us have enough HP to absorb some damage when our shield is recharging. Fighters Recovery + Enforced Thread/Trample usuallys fills my HP bar immediately.

Whenever I do run out of blocks, it's because other classes have made mistakes. Regardless of your build, I think the meter is just about the same length.

In fact, I'm not even sure if all the small defensive percentages offered by other paths are that significant. I wish someone could share this with me too.
  • dkcandydkcandy Member Posts: 1,555 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Yes Cong still ONLY tree to use as all others just gimp your GF.
  • derpaderpistderpaderpist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The Conq build is the best for GF , I pitty the guys that chose Tactitian or Protector as they are pretty useless.
    " We live in an age of the cheaply made, disposable, high priced junk. " - theunwarshed
  • alecstormalecstorm Member Posts: 142 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    I tried all 3, but now i returned conqueror because i do mostly pvp.
    By the way, with tank build you can hold more aggro and get more dmg for your team. I think in the future will be the best path to use, because you can manage to dps with reflected dmg.
    Tactician is very interesting, more but need a premade team. You can handle enemy dmg output better than a conqueror and buff your party dps. Also, your dmg is not so bad.
    With all spec, i always found GF a very good class.

One problem: abuse of tenebrous ench can change this. I think that a buff that increase your dmg based on your HP can be really unbalancing. It's Olaf style :D I hope the staff will think a bit about this ench.
  • derpaderpistderpaderpist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    alecstorm wrote: »
    By the way, with tank build you can hold more aggro and get more dmg for your team. I think in the future will be the best path to use, because you can manage to dps with reflected dmg.
    Tactician is very interesting, more but need a premade team. You can handle enemy dmg output better than a conqueror and buff your party dps. Also, your dmg is not so bad.

One problem: abuse of tenebrous ench can change this. I think that a buff that increase your dmg based on your HP can be really unbalancing. It's Olaf style :D I hope the staff will think a bit about this ench.

Noone needs you to hold aggro in end game lol , what are you smoking ^^
    " We live in an age of the cheaply made, disposable, high priced junk. " - theunwarshed
  • tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I assume "hold aggro" means "collect adds for CW".
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • faulkalfaulkal Member Posts: 34
    edited July 2013
    this is why GWFs can replace GFs in end game?
  • petpet2petpet2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    alecstorm wrote: »

let's take Lesser Tenebrous for example, on a 35k HP GF:
    When striking a foe you have a chance to deal 1% of your current Hit Points in Necrotic damage
    The Tenebrous enchantment has a 10 second internal cooldown and 100% chance to trigger if not on cooldown.

that would mean 350 damage every 10 seconds (it procs once every 10 seconds).

or am i wrong here?
  • tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    faulkal wrote: »
    this is why GWFs can replace GFs in end game?
    Yep. A GWF can collect adds just as fast as a GF and has sprint. The GF is better at pulling them off party members though. Both do respectable AOE damage to adds in a pinch.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • dkcandydkcandy Member Posts: 1,555 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    CN - GWF is pretty worthless as CW's do all of the work. GF's at least taunt help protect team mates and have some role to play, while GWF is just being carried entire dungeon. CN only needs 4 players (2) CWs, (1) DC, (1) TR

GWF in other dungeons are one of your TOP DPS classes due to high AoE dmg in end game gear/enchants.
  • fimcontefimconte Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Tactician is the better spec if you only PVE.
    But if you do both PVP and PVE, then Conq is still #1.
    Fans Glory to the Gladiators,
    Gods Glory to the Heroes.

TR:Anirul Corrino@Fimconte
    GF:Irulan Corrino@Fimconte
  • kreicuskreicus Member Posts: 76
    edited July 2013
    The Shield to Power cap stone on Conqueror isn't the reason to take Conqueror. If it cost 5 points i wouldn't take it, but it's only 1 so why not. Power doesn't scale that well really.

#1 Reason to take Conqueror is this:
    Tactical Superiority: Combat Superiority deals 1/2/3/4/5% more damage. At the 5th tier of this feat, Combat Superiority will not require that the target hits you first.
    15% at all times. With all sources of damage.

#2 Reason:
    Cruel Cut Style: Cleave now deals 3/6/9/12/15% more damage.
    #3 Reason:
    Wrathful Warrior: When you have Temporary Hit Points, you deal 3/6/9/12/15% more damage.
    Having all 3 of these up increases your Cleave damage by 15% 3 times. (Additive or Multiplicative I don't know, I just know its a big boost, and a lot more then the ~1500-2000 Power from Capstone)

As I mentioned above, I'd stop as Tactical Superiority and skip the last one, but what else are you going to do with just 1 point.
  • wingserwingser Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 70
    edited July 2013
    The Conq build is the best for GF , I pitty the guys that chose Tactitian or Protector as they are pretty useless.

Im running Tactician atm and its far from useless.

The cons and pros are here; http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?322521-best-GF-build-atm-By-FearItsSelf-jun4-2013/page29

Last post is mine.
  • jdenn01jdenn01 Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Thanks for all the feedback
    I will be playing with different specs and take in consideration. What was mentioned. So far I do like the boost to my DMG but the big fights will be the decider for me. The hard part is deciding what enchantments and such to use. Thanks y'all
  • mutantdemocracymutantdemocracy Member Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The Conq build is the best for GF , I pitty the guys that chose Tactician or Protector as they are pretty useless.

Good chance you haven't even tried the other feats or played them poorly.

This confirms it. If you even tried Protector or Tactician, you played them wrong.

A good Tactician/Protector GF means that the DC only has to keep an eye on one health bar. It also means that each person on your team can live a lot longer than they normally would. It's about on par with old double DC parties.

If you can show me video evidence of a Conqueror GF standing outside of Astral Shield with Knight's Valor on during the Epic Spider Queen boss fight and not dying, I'll concede.
  • fimcontefimconte Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    kreicus wrote: »
    The Shield to Power cap stone on Conqueror isn't the reason to take Conqueror. If it cost 5 points i wouldn't take it, but it's only 1 so why not. Power doesn't scale that well really.

#1 Reason to take Conqueror is this:
    15% at all times. With all sources of damage.

#2 Reason:

#3 Reason:
    Having all 3 of these up increases your Cleave damage by 15% 3 times. (Additive or Multiplicative I don't know, I just know its a big boost, and a lot more then the ~1500-2000 Power from Capstone)

As I mentioned above, I'd stop as Tactical Superiority and skip the last one, but what else are you going to do with just 1 point.

Tactical Superiority is only +5% as you can still maintain the 10% from Combat Superiority.
    You can take Wrathful Warrior in Tactician build, but it's probably not as great, since you'll be taking damage more often.

Now the main draws for Tactician imho are Inspiring Leader and Martial Mastery.

Inspiring Leader offers a lot more party damage than Tactical Superiority.
    And Martial Mastery lets you have Dailies up constantly.

The only problem is that this spec isn't that great for PvP, compared to Conqueror.
    Which is why I don't use it.
    Fans Glory to the Gladiators,
    Gods Glory to the Heroes.

TR:Anirul Corrino@Fimconte
    GF:Irulan Corrino@Fimconte
  • tarmalentarmalen Member Posts: 1,020 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    From an outsiders perspective in regards to best GF. If you take DPS out of the equation then the best "tank" build I have played with is - http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?407291-Des-s-GF-Interceptor-Tank-Build

He has run most of the popular builds but this one is by far the most solid in terms of aggro and survivability.

When I run with other builds I notice a huge difference as far as damage received regarding the whole party. The DCs that run with him comment on the ease of keeping him standing as well as not having to itchy trigger finger for when someone takes damage.

If you are running a dps spec then you are not a true tank:P
  • trollgretrollgre Member Posts: 297
    edited July 2013
    theres no no1 in all

damager = conqueror
    tank = protector
    support = tactician

conqueror might have the strongest damage but it sacrifices deflect and +5AC
    for pvp tactician and protector can also 1 skill KO if you have tene

the other 2 path damage is lower but tougher

at pvp the tougher you are the better
    high damage is just good at killing high HP or def build classes
  • etherealjetherealj Member Posts: 1,091 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    tarmalen wrote: »
    From an outsiders perspective in regards to best GF. If you take DPS out of the equation then the best "tank" build I have played with is - http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?407291-Des-s-GF-Interceptor-Tank-Build

He has run most of the popular builds but this one is by far the most solid in terms of aggro and survivability.

When I run with other builds I notice a huge difference as far as damage received regarding the whole party. The DCs that run with him comment on the ease of keeping him standing as well as not having to itchy trigger finger for when someone takes damage.

If you are running a dps spec then you are not a true tank:P

Tank probably moves better then the average GF and hammers the Recovery key. The only way to substantially reduce the damage you take while tanking is...stand in fewer red circles. Spec hardly matters :D

What is it with people giving their specs dumb names? Guy you linked plays prot. Why can't people just say prot?
    Use the <removed exploit lead-in> to interact with the auction vendor.
  • tarmalentarmalen Member Posts: 1,020 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Might be because there is more than one way to skin a cat. Equipment, skill choices, many factors go into a build. Protection? Everyone can run a "Protection" build. Since you made assumptions I will not bother with corrections. I run a GWF so my understanding of a GF will defer to the many talented GFs in the guild. The author is one such player.
  • katbozejziemikatbozejziemi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Why would you be using Knight's Valor? Because your teammates are too dumb to move out of the red zones?
  • dspawn255dspawn255 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Why would you be using Knight's Valor? Because your teammates are too dumb to move out of the red zones?

He is using knights valor and SOS, knights valor intercepts damage SOS reflects damage back at the mob, thus building threat on every damage source attacking the party.
  • symonhumbleuksymonhumbleuk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 89
    edited July 2013
    Once they fix alot of the dungeon glitches, which they are in the process of doing.
    GF will need to roll a turtle i think, these dps hybrids are not gunna cut it.. simply because what once was considered "no need for a gf" will soon be "i need a gf please help"
    and one that has alot of defense.

Currently alot of dungeons get skipped, boss fight adds can be avoided if you know how it's all done.
    But it will soon change, i think we'll see alot more GF's around in parties aswell.
    My Web: http://www.symonator.net
    Toons:
    New: CW Level 60
    GF = Level 60
    DC = Level 60
    TR = Level 60