test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Auction House, is it even useful?

geargogglesgeargoggles Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited July 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Why have it count down to 0 if you can't even bid during the last minute of the auction?
It seems like all auctions are outbid at the last second almost exclusively.
Other than using the buyout button, the auction house seems completely useless.

So does anyone know are there bot programs now doing the perfectly timed last second bid just like the ones made for ebay?

I've watched the timer and tried to time this, but have been 100% always outbid even though I'm hitting it at what seems like the right time. I almost don't even see a point in using the auction house except for the buy now feature, what am I missing here?
Post edited by geargoggles on

Comments

• mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    People or bots using the Gateway I imagine.
  • azmoran11azmoran11 Member Posts: 51
    edited July 2013
    I dunno why games like the Auction House, I have always hated it. But since WoW did it, seems like everyone else has to use the same <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> method. EQ2 was way better, no Auction House! Just put the items up for a price and it can stay there forever. It did a much better job at supply and demand that was't so exploitable by bots. Oh but then you couldn't just buy your way with RL money either, that's where these botters really get the advantage. They don't really need to play to own markets.

EDIT: Yes, I rambled.
  • wholyhandgrenadewholyhandgrenade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Game balance goes way off balance due to the bidding aspect of the AH. It would be best if only concealed bids were able to be placed. That is to say if you don't pay the buyout price whomever has the first placed highest concealed bid would take it and you just have to hope that your concealed bid was higher than anyone else. The current non-concealed bid part should likely be made to expire with 3 hours remaining where when the timer goes under 3 hours only concealed bids and buyouts are allowed. A tab to look through items that are in the concealed bid stage should then be added.
  • mrresponsiblemrresponsible Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Bump for this post with my own Auction House (AH) woes:

Bidding on items is essentially useless. With the last minute timeout added, it is more than useless. Even going into that last minute winning an auction, you still get a message saying you were outbid. As much as I would love to say botters are completely responsible, I also have another viewpoint. An equally nerdy friend with a bigger bank account than I supported the game by buying one of the development packs. When he bids on auctions, it is exactly the same process. However, when it gets down to the last few minutes, he rarely if ever gets that last second outbid message. He played my character for a bit specifically to compare the AH performance and was shocked that he kept getting outbid. Is this another downside to the Free-to-play side, that people who pay get an AH priority?
  • demonoidzardemonoidzar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I think it would be best to set up a general exchange. You just put your item in set your price, And someone that needs it will buy it. Waiting 4 days for something is too long. Who has the time to sit there and wait for a timer to count down ? That's the reason you see all these people selling items in zone chat. I wish they would put a stop to that. There should be another chat for selling items .