test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

improve Cat / nerf Stone?

randallskiirandallskii Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 14 Arc User
Hi,
I'm wondering why the cat companion which is much more expensive is worse than Ion Stone of Allure.
I got now 2 chars with both pets leveled to max rank.

Ion Stone of Allure
price: 2000 Zen (about 646.000 AD)
base stats (at 15 CH): 163 Power / Crit / Recovery // overall +489 stat increase
slots: 2 offense rune slot, 1 defensive rune slot, 1 neck, 1 ring, 1 dc offhand

Cat
price: 980.000 AD
base stats (at 17 CH): 231 Crit / Recovery // overall +462 stat increase
slots: 2 offense rune slot, 1 defensive rune slot, 1 neck, 1 ring, 1 waist (all best epic waists always have +hitpoints on it which is a bonus that the pet does not grant)

upshot:
- Stone gives about 5.8% more stats than Cat (depending on your CH attribute)
- Stone is about 34% cheaper
- Stone is always active, Stone cant die
- Cat sometimes gets stuck or even dies so that you have to resummon for bonus being active
- Cat has belt/waist slot which is a handicap at high lvl gear because it doesnt grant +hitpoint bonus

Devs please think about it.. a companion that is more expensive should not be inferior!
Post edited by randallskii on

Comments

• Options
    kiraliakiralia Member Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    If they nerf something that people have paid real money for it will cause uproar, if they buff the cat again uproar because people will complain that they would have bought that rather than the stone. They could drop the price of the cat, but then there would be complaints from those people who bought it already for the higher price. If they do nothing they get complaints that 1 is better than the other. Its a no win situation.

Out of all these options I think they should just reduce the cost of the cat if they do anything though.
  • Options
    randallskiirandallskii Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    sure...but on the other side people spending 980k for the cat, leveling it and finally finding out that its worse than stone will also cause uproar

maybe giving the cat a +hitpoint buff for the owner is an approach making it less useless or giving it a slight base stat increase superior to stone reducing the belt/waist slot handicap
  • Options
    moerevolvermoerevolver Member Posts: 128 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    No point nefing/buffing these companions, there is already a superior one called Icosahedron Ioun Stone which is pretty much the the Ion Stone of Allure but has armor penetration instead of recovery. It's also a very rare companion (purple, lvl 30).

As of right now, the Zen/AD conversion is pretty decent. As a developer you can't anticipate on what the Zen/AD ratio would be. I remember one point in Beta the Zen/AD for 2000 zen was 850k AD. If one day the Zen/AD ratio goes 1:550 you want them to increase the price of the cat?
    sure...but on the other side people spending 980k for the cat, leveling it and finally finding out that its worse than stone will also cause uproar

That's your fault for not doing the research. Just because it's more expensive in the current state of the economy doesn't make it any better.
  • Options
    kabothoriginalkabothoriginal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 465 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Simple point... Getting 980K AD is doable without spending money, you can gain that from farming, praying etc. for free.

The Ioun stone is 20 dollars....and is only available in the Zen store initially. Someone could buy one and put it on the AH though.
  • Options
    dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Simple point... Getting 980K AD is doable without spending money, you can gain that from farming, praying etc. for free.

The Ioun stone is 20 dollars....and is only available in the Zen store initially. Someone could buy one and put it on the AH though.

Or someone could exchange their AD for Zen and buy it that way.
  • Options
    katbozejziemikatbozejziemi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Because, in case you haven't noticed, the in-game AD prices from vendors are ****ing ridiculous.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    the Zen/AD conversion is quiet constant since 1 month ..but even if the devs planned with an abnormal huge rate of 500 AD/Zen (which is the limited maximum) the companion would only be 20k AD more expensive which doesnt scale with the benefits it is granting

what's involving research..well i searched the forums for exact base stat increase but couldnt find exact information..so I had to find it out on my own and thats okay for me.. so far I'm just posting my feedback and a suggestion for those companions like other people do for broken or buggy ones

is that rare pet you were talking about a drop? havent seen such a companion yet

ps: btw at least devs should fix the broken unbind-function for companions
  • Options
    dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    is that rare pet you were talking about a drop? havent seen such a companion yet

The Icosahedron Ioun Stone is a reward for completing the achievement "Moonstar Agent". The requirements for completing that achievement is completing 26 foundry authoring achievements and 16 foundry community achievements.
  • Options
    aakekpwaakekpw Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    For the record.. Ioun Stone of Allure CAN die. I have had it happen a handful of times in certain boss fights.
  • Options
    kiraliakiralia Member Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Was it where the shadow fell off an edge?
  • Options
    percefuspercefus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Hi,

Ion Stone of Allure
    price: 2000 Zen (about 646.000 AD)
    base stats (at 15 CH): 163 Power / Crit / Recovery // overall +489 stat increase
    slots: 2 offense rune slot, 1 defensive rune slot, 1 neck, 1 ring, 1 dc offhand

Cat
    price: 980.000 AD
    base stats (at 17 CH): 231 Crit / Recovery // overall +462 stat increase
    slots: 2 offense rune slot, 1 defensive rune slot, 1 neck, 1 ring, 1 waist (all best epic waists always have +hitpoints on it which is a bonus that the pet does not grant)

upshot:
    - Stone gives about 5.8% more stats than Cat (depending on your CH attribute)
    - Stone is about 34% cheaper
    - Stone is always active, Stone cant die
    - Cat sometimes gets stuck or even dies so that you have to resummon for bonus being active
    - Cat has belt/waist slot which is a handicap at high lvl gear because it doesnt grant +hitpoint bonus

Devs please think about it.. a companion that is more expensive should not be inferior!

The Ioun Stone moderately boosts 3 stats, while the Cat heavily boosts 2 stats. That boost is a 68 per stat increase and a 41% increase in those 2 stats over the Stone.

The only thing the same about them is that they are both companions and augments after that they are different and each has it's own positives and negatives and character/class uses.

They are fine as they are priced and as someone has said earlier changing the pricing will only farther complicate things for the current owners of each, my suggestion is do more research before making purchases in the future.....
    image.php?type=sigpic&userid=45696675&dateline=1374083559
    A Proud Member Of THE 300 Guild - Tene's are nothing but P2W, Nerf or Remove please!
  • Options
    barwolfbarwolf Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I wonder what for are HPs for Stone if it never takes hits in contrary to cat...
    Someone should submit bug report since clearly Stone is bugged and not working as intended :>

And since most Stone owners will start yelling as soon as devs would change it I suggest that cat should also become immune to damage.