test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Foundry Copyrighted Content Query

braekenbraeken Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited July 2013 in The Foundry
Would it be breaking the rules of copyrighted content in Foundry to recreate scenes from other games in the DND lore? E.g. recreating scenes out of Neverwinter Nights and NWN2, for example. So long as a way can be found to fit it into the lore of the existing game, is it abusing copyrighted content to use something within the same series?
Post edited by braeken on

Comments

• Options
    foundrymakerfoundrymaker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 253 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I have been asking the same thing, as I am making Dragonlance flavoured missions (and no one has said boo about it). However if you specifically state that you are using scenes from a Bioware Game you could get some headaches. As far as I know using something general in the Wizard of the Coast Dungeons and Dragons franchise might be okay. I don't know if the content has to be 'Forgotten Realms' only. I would like and official word on that too.
  • Options
    eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I'd say a good rule of thumb is -- if the copyright is still in effect, then no.
  • Options
    lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    To answer the question, as current Foundry EULA stands, the use of copyrighted material is forbidden without an irrevocable license issued solely for that purpose.

I stress that this is current language in Foundry EULA and is subject to modification by PWE/Cryptic at any time. It is the responsibility of each user to keep themselves current with EULA in its current iteration and all changes.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • Options
    dzogendzogen Member Posts: 550 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Dont quote me on this, but I think it is ok to recreate D&D modules.
    Dzogen, Moonstar Agent
    Bill's Tavern | The 27th Level | Secret Agent 34
  • Options
    lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    dzogen wrote: »
    Dont quote me on this, but I think it is ok to recreate D&D modules.

That depends on whether or not PWE/Cryptic considers that "third party". I'm hardly a lawyer, though.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • Options
    kamaliiciouskamaliicious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    That depends on whether or not PWE/Cryptic considers that "third party". I'm hardly a lawyer, though.
    Keep on the Borderlands is a featured quest. 'nuf said.
  • Options
    lonnehartlonnehart Member Posts: 846 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    My take on it is this... you can use the situations (modify them to fit the D&D world if they're a different setting). You might be able to use names, but not the likenesses. So don't create a great weapon fighter named Captain Kirk, then make the figure look like a young William Shatner. Or a Devoted Cleric to Amaunator named Jeane Luc Picard, then use the likeness of Patrick Stewart for that character.
    *sings* "I like Gammera! He's so neat!!! He is full of turtle meat!!!"

"Hah! You are doomed! You're only armed with that pathetic excuse for a musical instrument!!!" *the Savage Beast moments before Lonnehart the Bard used music to soothe him... then beat him to death with his Fat Lute*
  • Options
    cuddlesmacheesecuddlesmacheese Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Technically you can't, but.......

You really shouldn't get into any issue with Wizards of the coast owned stuff unless they for some reason want to make a point of it.

Mine has been out for some time without issue.
    "The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh U1"

Part 1 - NW-DB9Q7NCWR
    Part 2 - NW-DHKJD78SM

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    almostcoolalmostcool Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    My quest has a power rangers reference. I don't know if that's a copyright issue. I can never be featured D:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Spellthief Trials
    By @Stebss
    Short Code: NW-DM900IFHK
    Tired of Being the Hero: NW-DGTOU4N94
  • Options
    maliosimaliosi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Of course, you could always modify things just enough to nod at the source material, but be your own take. EG: I played a foundry mission this weekend (sorry, can't remember the name), but it was investigating the death of a Doctor West... Instead of the name 'Lovecraft' the author used 'Likecraft'. :)