test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Gauntlgrym - Dwarf King's Crypt

kazimirxzkazimirxz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 5 Arc User
edited August 2013 in PvE Discussion
In my opinion, this dungeon is impossible. I tried everything I could, but... no way to kill the boss. Did any of you kill it? How did you do it? What was the structure of the team? Any tips?
Post edited by kazimirxz on

Comments

• Options
    kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    kazimirxz wrote: »
    In my opinion, this dungeon is impossible. I tried everything I could, but... no way to kill the boss. Did any of you kill it? How did you do it? What was the structure of the team? Any tips?

I did it with a PUG, one of everything. I don't think we did anything special. I was a CW, on that occasion, I think. We CCed/killed what adds we could, avoided red stuff, and left a TR on the boss, I think. A few minutes of exploding and thrashing about, and he was dead. It was a fun, if busy fight.

Sorry that I can't offer more insights than that, as everyone just sort of did their job and tried not to die.
  • Options
    rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It can be challenging. The two ways I have beaten it have involved either a GF/TR combo on the boss at all times while everyone else handles the adds, or two TR's burning the boss while again, everyone else handles the adds. The DC needs to be on their game to make sure that no one goes down.

Yeah, I know. Not very useful since that is how many other bosses go down. But it is what has worked.
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.

• Options
    d3l337d3l337 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    GF, DC, GWF, 2x CW did it at first gg there was. Succeded at second try. CW or CWs builds should be focused on Wisdom at least 17(more is always better), Recovery(around 2500 or more, the more the bettter) and mass control spells.

PS DK fight is so long and boring that I felt asleep at second try. Boss, Bosses VP, loads of adds.

Faldaver is faster, more rewarding and less boring.

Btw why there are no random monsters in paths to bosses or like 3 minibosses of which only one spawn in instance.
  • Options
    kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    What's worse is that not only do I not think it involved any special tactics at all other than "kill stuff, don't die, when the boss gets out of the suit, hit him, not the suit"*, but I only bothered to do it once the first time in GG to see it, as all the other times, doing the T1 speed runs is a lot more rewarding.

GG is very boring indeed- though the instances at the end are pretty nice. I was only there to get coins for the CW main hand, which is surprisingly decent.

* OK, that is a small tactic, but you probably worked this one out for yourself, too.
  • Options
    kreicuskreicus Member Posts: 76
    edited July 2013
    First time I fought the King, we assumed we had to keep the guy away from his broken armor that seemed to heal him, so we tried that tactic. Didn't work to well. In a PUG group he fell easily. Key to this win is to Burn The Boss!. Even better if you stack all the adds and boss together and just burn em all. Also, I think the guy teleports around if you spread out too much.
  • Options
    etherealjetherealj Member Posts: 1,091 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    kazimirxz wrote: »

CW + DC on adds and everyone else on boss as a 1shot on the day GG released.

Blame queues for letting any ******* get into the dungeon. To the best of my knowlege the GG dungeons dont have a gs req.
    Use the <removed exploit lead-in> to interact with the auction vendor.
  • Options
    derpaderpistderpaderpist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    etherealj wrote: »
    CW + DC on adds and everyone else on boss as a 1shot on the day GG released.

Blame queues for letting any ******* get into the dungeon. To the best of my knowlege the GG dungeons dont have a gs req.

no gs requirement ? lol that's insane D:
    " We live in an age of the cheaply made, disposable, high priced junk. " - theunwarshed
  • Options
    rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    no gs requirement ? lol that's insane D:

The idea was to make it accessible to all, with the (un)intended consequence of wiping in the T2 for folks with lower end gear - forcing them to buy/earn higher end gear.
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.

• Options
    satanous1satanous1 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I found it a bit too easy. As a DC that recently hit 60 and bought some gear on the AH for like 100k AD (thanks Tymora's) I went in blindly and walked away disenchanted. The pug I was in had a CW that also had just hit 60 and neither one of us had ever done the instance.

We one shot it and I walked away with a marginally better helm. Yay...

Is there honestly challenging content in this game?
  • Options
    nwnghostnwnghost Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    If your group is not very strong, focus the adds.

Our public party beat the boss on 2nd try, because on the first, we just tried to pile on the boss and kite the adds and my DC got completely shot to pieces (faster than I can heal/take potions) by the ranged adds.

The adds are numerous, high HP but low damage. They don't spawn very often, and the boss has a large powerful attack which is very slow and predictable while teleporting around every so often.

4 of the 5 people in our group never did this dungeon before either and at the time we were all 7.5-9.2k GS. no TR, 2 CW, 1 GF, 1 GWF, 1 DC
  • Options
    axer128axer128 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    A lot of people here are underestimating the difficulty of the boss.

Sure it's a standard tank and spank plus fairly easy adds fight.

However this boss is one of the hardest hitting in the game and does routinely destroy unprepared groups. He can crit for 50k+, with his regular frontal aoe. Plus his poison gas that he leaves after he leaves his suit can easily take down a well geared rogue in under 2 seconds if they linger (its a DoT that can quickly deal 30k+ over time if you linger in it).

While yea sure I beat it easily in my guilds groups the first few times. A far later attempt after the guilds mostly inactive due to how garbage GG was overall showed me its not quite so simple, since we had to take 2 puggers - a very inexperienced CW and TR.

Pretty much the key to it is having a decent tank. Unlike most bosses, he's actually not that easy to tank on a TR, as he has a fairly quick stun animation, plus attacks fast enough to drain a rogues stamina. His attacks are ultra slow like most bosses with huge tells, but they are not as spread out as other bosses, so a rogue has to dodge very frequently to not get 1 shot.

Fairly easy on a GF with the correct skills - pretty much iron warrior and block. Top geared ones can even play it risky and use knights challenge for extra damage (youll be 1 shot if you don't block his mega hit when you do this). No healing needed at all since his attacks are single hit - a proper block meter fulled by iron warrior will sustain you.

So yea doing it without a GF or very solid GWF, in a pug, i actually ly severely challenging, if not impossible.

And far harder for GWF, since they can pop unstoppable occasionally to stop his KB, they won't stop all of his damage, so a lot of potions or a healer that can heal both the CW on the adds and the tank is required. (EG : A high recovery one with moontouched hallowed ground - no other way to effectively heal that kind of range)

Plus while the adds are easy enough on a seasoned CW. A newcomer who doesn't understand what spells to use will fail - i've seen it happen 3 failed attempts in a row then I had to specifically had to write out what to cast to the CW - and then wipe once more.. Then finally tell him on voice chat to read party chat (then we won).

So yea, it is a T2 fight.. Does require some teamwork. Definitely on the low end of the T2s, but it has challenge.

Few quick tips for op since I was mostly just explaining why its not easy like so many posters went on about:
    - Take a GF or tank-built GWF, or expect to fail
    - Take a CW who understands how to CC, else assign at least 2 others to the adds.
    - When he gets out of his armor, get away from the gas or you will die
    - When hes out of his armor - DPS FAST. He has very little health, but uses the rogue daily - bloodbath - which hits EVERYONE quite hard. A cleric cannot heal through this damage and his attacks cannot be dodged. Its burn through or wipe. Doesn't require much dps, but the rogue has to focus, and the boss has to not be on top of the other adds else the rogue cant focus him easily.

PS: GG dungeons do have GS reqs, they are just ultra low - T1 is same as cloak tower, and T2 is same as lowest T2s (8300).
    -Group tools in dire need of improvement, please read and reply to improve our community.
    -Epic Dread Vault Crushed.
    Characters (Dragon): Axer (60 Guardian, Leader of Crush It!), Controller (60 Wizard), Warlocker (60 Warlock)
  • Options
    sangrinesangrine Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I have both beaten and failed dwarf king, many times already. So far, for me, only two group compositions were able to succeed reliably.

The easiest victory was with a very high geared GF who could tank the boss and do some dps. If necessary, he could solo the boss with little healing, or another player could help him by attacking boss from behind.

Recently, another party composition succeeded (while I thought we would fail). Mostly guild members.
    1 TR on boss + 2 DC + 2 CW (usually on adds but sometimes on boss). astral shields on TR.
    This fight was slow and very long but no one fell in battle.
  • Options
    tharsoniusvbtharsoniusvb Member Posts: 43
    edited July 2013
    I only did this fight once with a PUG and this is how we did it:
    Group: GF (Me), DC, CW, 2 GWF

First two tries failed, 3rd one worked with following tactic. We had one GFW on the boss, assisted by the CW doing range damage. Me (GF) and the other GWF took care of the adds by making sure to keep them and the boss seperated. The DC healed an assisted where he saw fit.
    Basicly it went pretty smooth. The only tough moments came when the boss transformed. In these moments we switched the tactics to keeping everything together in the clerics AS, the CW switched to CC and the rest mostly focused on staying alive and doing as much dps as possible to force the boss back into his larger form. It worked pretty well, no big problems. But i guess some of the tactics that are mentioned here also will work fine. There is more then one way to skin a cat.
  • Options
    mbllanes199mbllanes199 Member, Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 429
    edited July 2013
    We done that with pug team, 2 CW, 1 GF, 1 DC, and GWF (me), with atleast 2 first timer.

Everyone on the ads, me on the boss 1on1, the only time the boss run around is when he is out of his armor took a while to kill but we did kill it.

Bottom line, the reward is not worth it as a group, we could have gotten more as a team if we run the T1.
  • Options
    axer128axer128 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Dwarf King can be worth it reward wise. Just relies far more on luck then Fardelver.

As in fardelver you'll never get any drop worth anything, but some fast coins given how stupidly easy it is.

Dwarf King can drop any T2 item, and several are worth a lot:
    Timeless hero sword - ~5mil
    Titan Sword - ~600-900k
    Most Rogue T2s weapons/swash - ~200-300k
    etc.

And the fight can be done very fast. Actually my very first run with my A-Team in my guild was the fastest I've done surprisingly, and given we did the whole thing legit and without previous knowledge, obviously can be improved in speed .. That run took 15min - 10min to clear trash, 5 for boss. Group was me on GF, +2 TR on boss, 1 dc and 1 cw on trash. (Everyone was pretty near max gear)
    So you can get 3+ Dwarf kings in that 30min window, just requires a pretty serious team.
    4 runs would be reasonably possible if the queue system didn't suck and waste like a minimum of 5+ min of your time for these runs.
    -Group tools in dire need of improvement, please read and reply to improve our community.
    -Epic Dread Vault Crushed.
    Characters (Dragon): Axer (60 Guardian, Leader of Crush It!), Controller (60 Wizard), Warlocker (60 Warlock)
  • Options
    slayorianslayorian Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Just two manned this boss with a guildie the other night. Rest of the party died off pretty quickly. Another guild mate and I managed to do the rest. (Both GWF) I handled the adds and he handled the boss. I think we each used about 40-50 potions, but still fun to two man the thing.
  • Options
    zaleindris85zaleindris85 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Went into this just a little while ago and didn't expect the boss to be such a challenge. Got into a PuG with 1 GF, a DC, 2 TR, and a GWF (Me)

Fight started well, myself the GF and the DC on adds, while the TR's burned the boss. This worked well, until the TR's forgot what dodge was or ran out of Stamina and both got 1 shot. In an attempt to save, I took up the boss while the GF and DC took adds. We didn't kill him, but afterward having myself on the boss worked wonders (since I could take a hit then Unstoppable the next few, rinse repeat)

Just takes some quick movement and add management and it's an easy boss.
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I've done it once, with my overgeared DC. When the boss gets out of his armor, it's up to your cleric to keep the party alive, heal the poison damage, have the daily up, being able to build APs fast, burn divinity carefully... I suggest keeping 4 ticks of divinity as much as possible, and a very, very good build, with at the very least sun burst, astral shield + another heal not requiring divinity (HW is my favourite). The GF can do the boss, the CW and dps keep clearing adds, because all adds are turned into archers when the boss gets out of his armor, and they hit for something like 2-3k each. Adds control is definitely not enough, you have to actually kill them. Nothing you can't achieve with a midly experienced GF, a good DC, and semi competent dps.

I guess the main difficulty comes from the fact it's not a "trololol dps boss zerg it asap" encounter. It takes time and careful adds management, and few people understand that.
  • Options
    kerrovitarrakerrovitarra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 559 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Easy dungeon, don't even know, what troubles it can bring.
  • Options
    degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    d3l337 wrote: »
    CW or CWs builds should be focused on Wisdom at least 17(more is always better), Recovery(around 2500 or more, the more the bettter) and mass control spells.

Recovery = 4,000 with my cat, 3,000 without (which is the softcap), and I focused on INT and CHA.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    Join Essence of Aggression: PVP-ing Hard Since Beta!