test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Could anyone tell me if this is possible?

avatre21avatre21 Member Posts: 67 Arc User
edited July 2013 in The Foundry
I wanted each separate class to travel to separate maps after the initial gathering. For example, I wanted Greater Weapon Fighters to teleport to a zone like the Icewind Dales, do some required basic interactions like "light the fire" "set up the tent" stuff like that, combat a few typical creatures like goblins etc and have its own separate storyline before going on to the third map which would converge to being the same for all classes.

I wanted the Cleric's to teleport to a forest zone, do their own interactions, have their own storyline, and then teleport to that third map etc.

I worked out the dialogue with the needed skills so that the classes are separated, then realised that I can't create a different map for each person as it has to be in the quest line.

I followed a suggestion to create a one room building and placed portals behind walls, so that the appropriate wall would disappear with the appropriate dialogue choice and the rest would remain hidden. I understand it would be difficult - if not impossible - to make five starting villages in the same map with the 1500 detail limit but I realised that I can't actually give separate objectives, a cleric in the forest would have to run all the way to the Fighter's land to light the same fire or set up the same tent.

I'm not explaining myself here very well, but I was hoping t here was a way around the limitations to make something like this work. Any ideas?
The Lonely Dagger Saga:
The Lonely Dagger Inn
NW-DHMMZR6BJ
The Not so Lonely Dagger
NW-DB19TTKY5

The Beginning of the End:
Once Bitten
NW-DUPFPJNSW
Post edited by avatre21 on

Comments

• Options
    zovyazovya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It is indeed possible to work the way you say. Only problem I would see, is groups. Once someone unlocks an area, there's no way to keep the others from coming along.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    How would it be done, then? To enable the different classes at different sites to get seperate required objectives? I'm not too worried about groups, this is going to be very story heavy so unlikely any groups will want to play.
    The Lonely Dagger Saga:
    The Lonely Dagger Inn
    NW-DHMMZR6BJ
    The Not so Lonely Dagger
    NW-DB19TTKY5

Once Bitten
    NW-DUPFPJNSW
  • Options
    nimmanunimmanu Member Posts: 250 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Okay, so here are the problems as I see it. All of the "zones" have to be on the same map. The things they must do have to all bring them back to the same spot, where the transition to the next map is.

Here's an example:

Make everyone find a "key", and the "key" is the one thing that unlocks the next map and they finish up the map.

Or make them all find a way to gather up some goblins to build a bridge... and the bridge building completion opens the next map. Etc.

But you can't send everyone to different maps, only to different areas inside the same map.

avatre21 wrote: »
    How would it be done, then? To enable the different classes at different sites to get seperate required objectives? I'm not too worried about groups, this is going to be very story heavy so unlikely any groups will want to play.

You can get around this by having an item in each area that drops (the same) "key" or other inventory item. Make this item required to proceed.

I have a miniature example of this in my own quest. There's a spot where the quest branches... you can run the combat gauntlet, or you can do the puzzle.

If you do the puzzle, then it unlocks the door that no one can get past. If you do the combat, then you get to the other end of the gauntlet and there's a teleporter to behind the door. But ultimately, both of them end up getting past the door to the objective of finding Jose.
    Breaching the Swarm NW-DUXUHQWNP

Pick your side, take a stand, save--or kill--your former allies.
  • Options
    neverwinter1776neverwinter1776 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I'm surprised that no one suggested the "visible only with skill" This way ONLY the CW who can see Arcana will be able to interact with that. And that would lead them to the path you want, the other options would be invisible to them.
    And since you're not worried about groups/parties then you're good.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    But that would mean putting every item in a forest village, every tree and grass and building, as only visible with arcana, and then placing four other villages for the four other classes each visible only to their own skill directly on top of the first forest village?
    The Lonely Dagger Saga:
    The Lonely Dagger Inn
    NW-DHMMZR6BJ
    The Not so Lonely Dagger
    NW-DB19TTKY5

Once Bitten
    NW-DUPFPJNSW
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    avatre21 wrote: »
    But that would mean putting every item in a forest village, every tree and grass and building, as only visible with arcana, and then placing four other villages for the four other classes each visible only to their own skill directly on top of the first forest village?

This depends on what you need to do.
    A) Everyone enters a map.
    B) There are 4 Choices (1 Arcana, 2 Religion, 3 Thievery, 4 Warrior)
    C) Each Class chooses their own "skill" trigger
    D) 1, is teleported to the Forrest area of the map, 2, is teleported the dungeon part of the map, etc (all one BIG map with different areas for each skill)
    E) Now you have to decide WHEN the ENTIRE map is done. I.E. If each group gathers an item, or completes a task, etc.
    Does this occur ONLY when everyone has done their part? Can they move to the next map separately?
    F) Next map

That's what I THINK you may be asking for. This way the "areas" they get teleported are normal areas, they just GOT there via a skill portal.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    nimmanu wrote: »
    Make everyone find a "key", and the "key" is the one thing that unlocks the next map and they finish up the map.

Or make them all find a way to gather up some goblins to build a bridge... and the bridge building completion opens the next map. Etc.

But you can't send everyone to different maps, only to different areas inside the same map.

You can get around this by having an item in each area that drops (the same) "key" or other inventory item. Make this item required to proceed.

This might be the best bet, I especially like the building a bridge idea or something like it, I'm just worried that having the character find something, kill a few enemies and then meet up in the middle, even with that end interaction, would make the separate beginnings almost redundant. Especially as these beginning villages would have to be quite small to fit in with the item limit. Taking part in the separate environments, in the small combats and helping put up the tents etc would be a good way to get a feel for the characters supposed home.

Perhaps collecting wood for the bridge would be the way to help that, I don't know, requires more thinking I think ;)
    The Lonely Dagger Saga:
    The Lonely Dagger Inn
    NW-DHMMZR6BJ
    The Not so Lonely Dagger
    NW-DB19TTKY5

Once Bitten
    NW-DUPFPJNSW
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    I understand what you're saying, but the bottom line is that the quests ARE linear. Your only other choice is to have each and every map branch.

So a person can only enter an area if they have X item... which they picked up from A section of the last map...

You'd have to force them to converge and diverge over and over again... but ultimately, you can only have a single central quest line. It's that simple. The quests are linear... all divergence must be side quests that force them to come back to the main objective each time. That's a major complaint about the foundry.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    I'm intending for this to be a solo only quest, so one person could play on their fighter, enter the second map which would be the villages separated by class on the one map. In this village they would, ideally, interact to build tents or help on the farm or light a fire, anything basic like that. They'd then fight a few enemies indigenous to each specific 'supposed' location. After this, the story would move on to something like an attack in their village. After this is won, the player would then be able to zone to the third map, perhaps after a journey to a nearby market which could be the central location of all the beginning villages. If this same player decided to do the quest a second time and played on their control wizard, then they would start with a different village and a different backstory for their character.

I'm definitely not explaining myself very well here. I know I can't have them going to different maps, but if I were to do the teleports to separate locations on one large map, what's to stop people from skipping the story and interactions there, as they can't be forced as quest objectives? The attack that would move the quest on would have to be triggered by using an item or something.
    The Lonely Dagger Saga:
    The Lonely Dagger Inn
    NW-DHMMZR6BJ
    The Not so Lonely Dagger
    NW-DB19TTKY5

Once Bitten
    NW-DUPFPJNSW
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    They can be forced as quest objectives. What you do is create a locked door or put in an item that they must unlock before they can move on.

So for example, you try to move on to the sunken ship... but you can't get there because the guards are blocking the way (and so is an invisible wall).

Before the wall will disappear, you must perform several tasks.

First you must find the wobblebobbit. Then you must take it to Eric. But Eric says that he can't bribe the guards with only a wobblebobbit... gather him up some monkshood to poison them, instead. So you gather up the monkshood, and he makes you a potion. But now you must take the potion to the stewpot... and anyone who sees you going there must be incapacitated or killed...

You put the potion into the stew, but you get caught right at that moment (as the author intended). You get put into jail. Fortunately for you, the jailor likes wobblebobbits... and all of the other guards are asleep cause they didn't know you'd already poisoned the stew.

The invisible wall covering the QUEST OBJECTIVE is now removed... and you can move on...

Meanwhile, over in wizard land... someone else is doing another series of events in order to get to the teleporter that will take them BEHIND the invisible wall to the QUEST OBJECTIVE.

You see how you can create another linear mini-quest required to remove the block to the QUEST OBJECTIVE?

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Then my theory would work perfectly. Just quadrant off you map. You just make them get to the correct area via a skill requirement
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]