test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Im soo squishy :( :(

taarnfalktaarnfalk Member Posts: 5 Arc User
edited July 2013 in The Thieves' Den
i like the rogue.. but my problem is .. that i die alot.. specially at this lvl... i cannot even handle named solo quest solo...

i just feel like giving up and rolling another class.

i see cw and other handle solo names with eazy.. and i have alot of problems

any advice? my char name is Chantrell Callenborn and im lvl 40
Post edited by taarnfalk on

Comments

• norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    bait and switch + a cleric companion really take the heat off you. Stealth also allows you to kill a mob or 2 before you are a target. The daily (first one you get, something blood..?) makes you immortal while it is going, so potion, daily, potion combo is powerful. If you build to regain action points, you can even do this multiple times in a very short time.

On top of that you can have a decent deflection rating, which helps big-time. Or you can build for life steal --- its a % of damage done so hard hitting rogues can really make a lot of good with it.

You also have a couple of stuns.
    Blitz can entirely kill the weaker mobs.
    you can dodge roll out of attacks and throw your knife at them.

Basically you are not a fighter. Its not a brute force game of run in and kill the mobs by hitting them to death --- that works until level 30 or so, but it was not the class design (that is gwf). Your class is designed to kill rapidly while using your skills to avoid taking damage ---stealth, decoy, stunlock, dodge roll, thrown knife, whatever.

That said, some bosses are just tough, whether due to too many adds or hitting too hard or nasty special abilities. From 50-60 I died at least once on most of the solo quest instance bosses. It happens.
  • taarnfalktaarnfalk Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Thanks for the advice..

i know i should have a cleric instead of the dog - but i would like to play without a cleric in the back.. is there no way to solo just with an animal companion? i do have baith and switch ..i have used another daily then blood but will try to switch it out.
  • xpertzxxxxpertzxxx Member Posts: 96
    edited July 2013
    cleric pet and use Lurkers assault for daily... 10 seconds of 60% more damage and stealth... how can you even think about using something else.
    Wtf is a Molon Labe?

- Tiduss -

(OoS)
  • knarsistknarsist Member Posts: 86
    edited July 2013
    Yeah rogues are squishy, don't get hit :)

If you can get one, a tank pet will help a lot with soloing, I don't know how good the dog is for this. Open a fight from a distance with stealth on using Cloud of Blades; while you are whittling down the enemies they should aggro on your pet because you're in stealth. Just before stealth drops, hit Bait and Switch. This will refresh your stealth and create a temporary tank to distract enemies. From that point you have a lot of options, you're in stealth and the mobs are distracted. I recommend having Blitz or Path of the Blades slotted, adds are your biggest problem, Whirlwind of Blades is great as well. When you are getting hit, roll away and kite if you have to, then hit stealth and go back in.

Life steal can be a big help when soloing, that way you can take a few hits and heal up while dealing damage. Be sure to roll out of the red, you can't take AE damage for long. When fighting bosses, use Dazing Strike to prevent their special attacks, if you're quick you can stop them even after they start the animation.

My TR is 50 now and I soloed all the way, it's not hard you just have to learn how to deal with being a glass cannon. Good luck.
  • s3z3s3z3 Member Posts: 216 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Learn 2 play issue.
    Carnage TR Dragon shard - retired? hell yea it's retired along with Nevewinter

Seze - Rogue - Necropolis - <3 RIFT
  • yramragyramrag Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    s3z3 wrote: »
    Learn 2 play issue.

Not very helpful is it? OP is not complaining, but posting here to LEARN how to play his rogue better.

Learn 2 post positively issue.
  • gabryelgabryel Member Posts: 542 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    yramrag wrote: »
    Not very helpful is it? OP is not complaining, but posting here to LEARN how to play his rogue better.

Learn 2 post positively issue.

Could be worse. He could've said "Learn 2 Diet and Exercise"... because squishy = fat and all. :P

While Rogues do have a defense mechanic/stat in their class design, most of the focus of their skills are on maximizing their damage potential. This is also reinforced by the game's design in general, with the inclusion of not just the dodge system, but lack of any hard trinity engagement dungeons.

The results are min/max builds with little to no attention on defensive stats for the class. The closest build I would even say that takes defense into consideration, are the stealth/perma-stealth builds that focus primarily on avoiding direct engagement with an enemy altogether.

If you're too far into your build to change directions already, a cleric or tank companion would probably help. I only have experience with Cleric companions, but I find their healing draws enough agro from everything, allowing me to burst down enemies one at a time. Also, their healing keeps you topped off between fights, without having to use potions, which is immensely helpful. A lot of times I find that while you may not have much trouble finishing one fight, having to go through several without any healing will wear down your hp and is what eventually gets you killed. The problem with the Cleric is that they are also not very tough and won't last long if they draw too much agro. They also often die very quickly in solo mission boss fights.

A tank companion may last longer and hold agro better, but you will be relying on you own potions to refill your health.

The dog is a Striker class companion and supposedly has a knockdown ability, but I'm not sure how useful that will be since it's not really something you can control to weave into your own rotation. It also likely won't hold aggro for you, so won't really improve your survivability that much.
    edited July 2013
    gabryel wrote: »
    ....having to go through several without any healing will wear down your hp and is what eventually gets you killed.

....A tank companion may last longer and hold agro better, but you will be relying on you own potions to refill your health.

Life steal. A lot of rogues seem to be too focused on offense to notice, but life steal is our heal, and it works very well with our damage. You have to invest heavily to make it worth it, but get it up to around 1,000 or so and your blade turns into a cleric.

It's not very useful for grouping, but for soloing life steal will change everything. It can allow you to take a good bit of damage and still have full health at the end of the fight. And if you need to top off, just hit some trash.
  • feiergiantfeiergiant Member Posts: 112 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    s3z3 wrote: »
    Learn 2 play issue.

someone should comment your aegis blablatanking guide so you'd be busy typing there instead of making yourself look like a fool here.
    edited July 2013
    Yes you can play without a cleric. But IMHO to do that you would want to have 10% life steal and plenty of potions. Or extreme skills at avoiding damage and maybe regeneration, but in my experience, for a rogue, life steal is superior.

Cleric was recommended not for its healing but because of its AGGRO. It draws the mobs off you, all of them, for just long enough to control and win the fight.

I was farming potions to do alchemy research in the level 60 areas, whispering caverns (all areas) and decided while I was at it to level my ioun stone some. I was able to beat everything except the braindog groups without any trouble without a cleric, and I am only a storebought rogue, tier1 mismatched AH gear, 9k gear score roughly. The braindogs are just dangerous, their 10k hit charge attack from a group of 5 is rough. I have almost no regen or lifesteal, and a small deflection but not really enough. These fights were done by pure guile --- the mobs did not hit me, distracted with the dummy and eliminated with stealth and careful use of encounters. So its possible. And yes, I died once, but the rest of the fights I came out without taking noticeable damage (about hour, hour and a half spent on it). Not using perma stealth either. Just an orc brute force rogue.
    edited July 2013
    noroblad wrote: »
    Cleric was recommended not for its healing but because of its AGGRO. It draws the mobs off you, all of them, for just long enough to control and win the fight.

If that's what you want, Galeb Dhur is way better at aggro. As soon as a fight starts he immediately launches his AE taunt, and he keeps on taunting. He can stay alive too, and when he hits rank 30 and gets his heal he can tank just about anything.
  • makjemakje Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Personally I was quite good at soloing. It's all about dodging, stealthing and running around waiting for potion cooldowns while not getting hit :P

I used Dazing Strike, Path of Blades and Blitz. My rotation was Stealth up to the mobs, use path of blades, then Dazing Strike as they gathered on me, then Blitz. Usually this killed them. If you fight something stronger than trash, then save Dazing Strike for when they try to cast a spell.

Always dodge away from red zones (on the ground), and kite stronger mobs. Use the Cleric companion and always have a lot of potions.
    edited July 2013
    knarsist wrote: »
    If that's what you want, Galeb Dhur is way better at aggro. As soon as a fight starts he immediately launches his AE taunt, and he keeps on taunting. He can stay alive too, and when he hits rank 30 and gets his heal he can tank just about anything.

Cost benefit analysis says the cleric is better. However, if you have the diamonds or cash to get rocky, go for it!
    edited July 2013
    noroblad wrote: »
    Cost benefit analysis says the cleric is better. However, if you have the diamonds or cash to get rocky, go for it!

Yeah, he's expensive, but the big problem with the cleric is you outlevel her at higher levels and she gets swatted down by trash. Can't wait to get the angel, now that's expensive!
  • grimlockx21grimlockx21 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I'm currently lvl 51, and have really hit a wall with the past couple of solo quest bosses. I'm currently stuck on the Rime Hound, and I've been using the Vicious Dire Wolf as my companion up until now (he's lvl 30). Is it even worth trying to level a Cleric or Man-at-Arms at this point? It seems like any of the basic companions are just going to get shredded, even at their max level.

I'd really rather not have to spend Zen on an Acolyte of Kelevmor or Galeb Dhur, but I don't see how I'm beating anymore questline bosses without them. Would I be better off skipping the end instances for now, and just move on to the next zone to keep leveling?
    edited July 2013
    I'm currently lvl 51, and have really hit a wall with the past couple of solo quest bosses. I'm currently stuck on the Rime Hound, and I've been using the Vicious Dire Wolf as my companion up until now (he's lvl 30). Is it even worth trying to level a Cleric or Man-at-Arms at this point? It seems like any of the basic companions are just going to get shredded, even at their max level.

I'd really rather not have to spend Zen on an Acolyte of Kelevmor or Galeb Dhur, but I don't see how I'm beating anymore questline bosses without them. Would I be better off skipping the end instances for now, and just move on to the next zone to keep leveling?

I just went 50-56 solo killing all the bosses, there are some tough fights but it can be done for sure. The level 30 wolf ought to be a lot better than the max-level-15 cleric or man-at-arms, so I don't see much point in leveling up one of those. I used Galeb Dhur and he's a big help, but I don't think it's worth the expense just to get through a few fights, plus you'll be 60 by the time you get him to 30.

I think maybe a change in tactics and/or gear would help. What's your loadout, how do you fight? What are your stats?