test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Silence is Deafening

torrificotorrifico Member Posts: 9 Arc User
edited July 2013 in The Temple
Since the release of the recent class balance changes the devoted cleric forums have been in uproar. Players who have written the stickied class guides have posted about the problems facing the class after the changes, and more importantly after having tested the changes. These are the same people who have been actively involved in the community and can be relied on for mostly good intel.

Whether or not the changes are warranted, what ios concerning is the complete lack of a response from Cryptic regarding this situation. The changes were announced on Wednesday and since then this forum has had one singular topic (i.e. the AS change) with many, many concerns being raised about the impact in both pve and pvp.

And yet no-one from Cryptic has commented on the uproar in almost 5 days.

I believe we can take it for granted that the forums are voraciously read during the beta phase so this is not a case of Cryptic not reading the concerns. So why have they not responded?

What gets me is the lack of professionalism being shown by Cryptic.
1. Open Beta has not been running for a huge amount of time and there have been crippling bugs and exploits, and yet they are going like in less than 2 weeks
2. This list of changes are supposed to address the problems with the game as it is now so this has to go live at or before the game itself is live. This list so huge there is no way it can be properly tested in time.
3. Many of the fixes in the notes smack of band-aid treatment rather than a proper solution, and some of those band-aids seem second-hand ...
4. No one has stepped into the DC forums to simply say, "We are aware of your concerns and we will be responding to them shortly." How hard was that?

In my experience when a company does not respond to a complaint it means one of 3 things:
1. The simply don't care.
2. They are up to their ears putting out internal fires and anything they say could change rapidly from moment to moment.
3. The company representatives have been muffled by upper management and literally cannot say anything.

I am guessing that what is happened is that the project is way behind schedule and the investors/upper management have come in and read the riot act that the game had better be out by 20 June or heads will roll. This explains some of the shockingly poor coding in the game (which in itself could be part of the reason they are behind schedule), the very patchy fixes and the unrealistic testing period.

Cryptic, shame on you :(
Post edited by torrifico on

Comments

• stercogburnstercogburn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 214 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Community managers down the years have learned not to respond to players raging on the forums. It just feeds the fire.

As galling as it is, until they have something definite to say the best response is no response. Historically, bland answers only cause further rage and if the community managers are not in a position to give useful info out, it often just makes the playerbase more angry. If the public test server shows that class changes are too strong in any direction the devs will tweak it. Thats the point of test servers. By all means, give robust feedback.

I've had my share of feeling butthurt at MMO companies down the years (most recently I gave ArenaNet a hard time). I'm just not feeling it here. I think Astral Shield is way too strong and no class should be defined by one single ability. However, I'm glad that rebalancing the class around the various other abilities is not my job as there's definately work that needs to be done on the cleric class.
    Roo. Cleric. Mad as a bag of badgers, will heal for beer.

Ancient Shadows: Mature. Sensible. Custard.
    Recruitment info at: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?462591-Ancient-Shadows-Become-a-Lion-Tamer-without-learning-Chartered-Accountancy-first!&highlight=ancient+shadows
  • ausdoerrtausdoerrt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    You're overestimating the amount of so-called uproar. The actual well-reasoned critics of the balance patch are few and far in between, mostly it's just incoherent babble about "nerf this nerf that". Plus there's a plenty of players seeing most of the fixes (cleric-wise) as very justified.

Also, IIRC, lots of people over time have complained that the game's too easy, so there's that.

At the same time, I've very happy with the aggro changes on the test forums, but of course most people here fail to mention that.
  • morsitansmorsitans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,284 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Nobody complains about things that are good, though.

OMG WTF CRYPTIC U FIXED AGGRO OMG WTF IT WORKS OK NOW NICE WORK

...is not going to happen. A happy community is a quiet community. You'll note, for instance, that basically nobody is complaining about the removal of AS stacking, because everyone (DCs included) agreed that that was hilariously broken.
  • phrausphraus Member Posts: 40
    edited July 2013
    morsitans wrote: »
    Nobody complains about things that are good, though.

OMG WTF CRYPTIC U FIXED AGGRO OMG WTF IT WORKS OK NOW NICE WORK

...is not going to happen. A happy community is a quiet community. You'll note, for instance, that basically nobody is complaining about the removal of AS stacking, because everyone (DCs included) agreed that that was hilariously broken.

Sorry, but they DIDNT fixed the aggro. They just mitigated it a little bit.

As a sample, yesterday night I tried the Gauntlgrym PvE (I know I just would not "pug & play" anymore, but it was hard to suffer people shouting at the chat they were waiting at the queue forever as no DCs available).

Final boss:

I did let the GF to engage the adds (about 7 seconds) That would get a lot of aggro, isnt it?
    A couple seconds after the dc engaged, CW started nuking. TR and GWF were at at the Boss front and back, doing good damage. (that is 5 seconds getting aggro, isnt it?)
    Then I launched a moontouched Hallowed ground (my daily, kept for this moment)
    Then AS (Divinity) to the feet of the GF.
    Then FF (D too) to the boss.

Next movement was to try to kite more than a half of the adds PLUS the boss. The whole floor around me was in red.

Party wiped (of course)

Now, if you wish, I could shout with You "OMG NICE WORK", but I just dont feel in the mood. I wonder why.
  • fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Month old necro.
    morsitans wrote: »
    A happy community is a quiet community.

If a happy gaming community is a quiet/inactive one, then I guess the DC forums are the happiest class forums and getting happier every day!
  • kiraliakiralia Member Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    A lot of GF don't really use a tank spec any more I think, they seem more dps focused so that even with the agro changes they don't really 'hold' anything. Also sorry but you did kinda throw everything you have down at once by the sounds of it so should expect agro from it.
  • pinkleetpinkleet Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I am not sure why people say "aggro was fixed". I don't see any difference in my runs. If there is a decent GF and CW i can at least find some empty spots on the floor in boss room. If either of them blows its over, everything is on me as always.
  • morsitansmorsitans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,284 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    In a lot of boss rooms adds just spawn everywhere, so you're gonna pick up aggro no matter what (unless you have a very attentive GF), and if you're healing everyone you generally don't have time (or indeed the encounters) to burn down the adds on you, whereas everyone else can kill theirs = resulting perception is that all the adds are on you.

In everything outside boss rooms, I've totally noticed the difference: you can actually stand back from the fray and use skills where necessary, rather than "always where I am currently standing coz OMFG IM GONNA DIE".
  • songteasersongteaser Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Well they had better fix it fast because as it stands now its the worst possible Cleric class of any game ive played. There is no way I can survive when no one is trying to get the adds off me. There is no decent direct heal there is no casting while moving thus you allways end up in red circles. The other players have no idear of what we are capable of (which is not much) and constantly whine at you for direct heals no one stands in the blue circle and it seems to be a ,I must do the most damage without regard to anyone else syndrome. I just about deleted the game after the exp with the last pug Solo I was having a decent time of it but I cant see myself grouping if this current build is the best we get. no direct heal that heals a decent amount in a timely fashion 20 second No crowd control like a hold person to assist with adds and no party targeting system to aid in critical healing of a doomed comrade!!
  • tyrtallowtyrtallow Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 747 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    If you haven't noticed any real difference in your runs then you are gravely inexperienced when it comes to the finer points of this game.

Simply put a good GF will have absolutely no trouble keeping adds of you, as long as he/she is already familiar with the dungeon or the mechanics behind particular boss fights. I should know, I've seen good ones in action from behind the screen. He/she may stumble or may be too busy to guard you in particularly hectic fights but it then falls on any combination of you, the CW and the GWF to deal with extra adds. If the other classes are failing at their job, then speak up. Most people will listen to you - no one wants the cleric to leave.

Finally, a cleric's job in this game is to keep people alive through damage mitigation, heals or through the use of deadly force if necessary. It is not our job to keep people fully healed (except perhaps the tank), to replace potions or to cure stupidity. We do have ways of helping other people deal with blunders (our dailies). We get direct heals at higher levels simply because by then they are sorely needed - at lower levels our only compulsory healing is Sunburst + Astral Seal, + Forgemaster's Flame at mid levels. It is also our job to tell people what is expected of them or how our heals work, side effect of being a leader class. If you were looking for a WoW healbot then sorry, even faithful clerics have to attack to build up divinity. You're looking at a class that focuses on keeping the party alive through less obvious means especially at low levels.

BTW, unlike WoW, Neverwinter is a self-proclaimed action game. That means lots and lots of dodging red stuff. If you're not dodging the red stuff you're not playing the game.
    You there. New to the game? Feeling overwhelmed? Maybe you think getting to end-game is impossible for a casual player like yourself, or maybe you just need to be around a community that helps each other stay sane and competitive with the latest news, current trends, random chitchat and most of all LEGIT (that is, we try to keep things fair) gameplay. If you don't mind being around quirky people and the rare occasional drama (one of our prominent TR members is apparently a mafia godfather) join nw_legit_community at http://www.nwlegitcommunity.shivtr.com/forum_threads/2330542.
  • fathomfulfathomful Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 207 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Properly specced with aggro reduct (sooth + feats) aggro is no issue at all.. ever.

If you dont use soothe + feats well then what do you expect? I am sure once i start rocking with nothing but overgeared tanks ill drop it, but still....

Aggro is simply not an issue anymore for me. Of course i do have some experience... if i get aggro i kite the adds back to the AoE dps or to the tank so they pick aggro up.
  • lltsnwnlltsnwn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 787 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    torrifico wrote: »
    Since the release of the recent class balance changes the devoted cleric forums have been in uproar. Players who have written the stickied class guides have posted about the problems facing the class after the changes, and more importantly after having tested the changes. These are the same people who have been actively involved in the community and can be relied on for mostly good intel.

Whether or not the changes are warranted, what ios concerning is the complete lack of a response from Cryptic regarding this situation. The changes were announced on Wednesday and since then this forum has had one singular topic (i.e. the AS change) with many, many concerns being raised about the impact in both pve and pvp.

And yet no-one from Cryptic has commented on the uproar in almost 5 days.

I believe we can take it for granted that the forums are voraciously read during the beta phase so this is not a case of Cryptic not reading the concerns. So why have they not responded?

What gets me is the lack of professionalism being shown by Cryptic.
    1. Open Beta has not been running for a huge amount of time and there have been crippling bugs and exploits, and yet they are going like in less than 2 weeks
    2. This list of changes are supposed to address the problems with the game as it is now so this has to go live at or before the game itself is live. This list so huge there is no way it can be properly tested in time.
    3. Many of the fixes in the notes smack of band-aid treatment rather than a proper solution, and some of those band-aids seem second-hand ...
    4. No one has stepped into the DC forums to simply say, "We are aware of your concerns and we will be responding to them shortly." How hard was that?

In my experience when a company does not respond to a complaint it means one of 3 things:
    1. The simply don't care.
    2. They are up to their ears putting out internal fires and anything they say could change rapidly from moment to moment.
    3. The company representatives have been muffled by upper management and literally cannot say anything.

I am guessing that what is happened is that the project is way behind schedule and the investors/upper management have come in and read the riot act that the game had better be out by 20 June or heads will roll. This explains some of the shockingly poor coding in the game (which in itself could be part of the reason they are behind schedule), the very patchy fixes and the unrealistic testing period.

Cryptic, shame on you :(

Cryptic doesn't get involved with the discussions because all they do is derail the conversations taking place. Once an official type posts in a topic it immediately becomes a beacon to everyone regardless if they have anything meaningful to contribute. Then you get the whine class favoritism posts about X class is ignored, Y class is Cryptic's favorite, etc.

I'm HAPPY that Cryptic is keeping a low profile because if they didn't you would see Forum Trolls flocking to any post they replied to like moths to a flame.
    12.jpgRanger.jpg
  • tuuserailtuuserail Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Community managers down the years have learned not to respond to players raging on the forums. It just feeds the fire.

As galling as it is, until they have something definite to say the best response is no response. Historically, bland answers only cause further rage and if the community managers are not in a position to give useful info out, it often just makes the playerbase more angry. If the public test server shows that class changes are too strong in any direction the devs will tweak it. Thats the point of test servers. By all means, give robust feedback.

I used to have the very exact same perspective as you, so in a sense I agree, but it changed when I started playing Eve Online 2.5 years ago. Being passive regarding customer complaints doesn't work, Eve has proven that by having the most intensive developer-user communications I've seen since a decade of me playing MMOs in general. In the end, their "way" of doing things rewards them (CCPGames) as having one of the most successfull MMO of all time (Eve has never gone through any steep decline of subscription for a straight decade since it was released, first time ever for a full fledged MMORPG), the highest customer retention rate in gaming history, and being one of the most respected game developers today. I honestly don't know why this type of publisher/developer-customer relationship is rare nowadays, considering we're not living in an age of demand based marketing anymore.
  • pasainpasain Member Posts: 53
    edited July 2013
    Threat is fine, bad tanks are aplenty. Lots of good tanks too. You can really notice the difference between them. Throwing down everything all at once is possible with a good tank, you are still going pull something if no one else has annoyed it. Which is fine, use it to your advantage. I typically try and kite ranged through the melee ball works great. Get em all bunched up and sunburst..

Direct heals = pots. Clerics just reduce pot use again fine. I typically do about 3 mil heals and 3 mil damage in a dungeon like pirates. Everyone else is doing around 6mil damage. Seems about right. You can't save someone who never gets out of the Red. Its an action MMO.. people need to learn to move away from damage or take it somewhere and give it to someone else.
  • healhamstahealhamsta Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 572 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    songteaser wrote: »
    Well they had better fix it fast because as it stands now its the worst possible Cleric class of any game ive played. There is no way I can survive when no one is trying to get the adds off me. There is no decent direct heal there is no casting while moving thus you allways end up in red circles. The other players have no idear of what we are capable of (which is not much) and constantly whine at you for direct heals no one stands in the blue circle and it seems to be a ,I must do the most damage without regard to anyone else syndrome. I just about deleted the game after the exp with the last pug Solo I was having a decent time of it but I cant see myself grouping if this current build is the best we get. no direct heal that heals a decent amount in a timely fashion 20 second No crowd control like a hold person to assist with adds and no party targeting system to aid in critical healing of a doomed comrade!!

1) Learn to play.
    2) What mobs? Clerics barely generate aggro. Unless every single CW + GF + GWF in your party are <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> up, there should be very few mobs on you. (most of them should be chasing the CW. Hah)
    3) What do you mean by "no one stands in the blue circle"? Are you shooting off your AS in random locations away from your teammates or something?

Overall the fixes have made cleric pretty boring to play. I'm basically just an Ioun Stone of Healing.

All me has to do is hold "A" or D" and simply side strafe & shoot out the same rotation while waiting to shoot off a Bastion of health if someone does miss a dodge roll.
    At least there was a bit of a challenge when Clerics had all the aggro.
    (.-.)
    Delve loot murdered my TR, DC, & GWF. Nerf Plox:
    I know that it sucks to no longer get gear to sell from the Dungeon Delve chest but it was truly overpowered.
  • redeclipzeredeclipze Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    healhamsta wrote: »
    1) Learn to play.
    2) What mobs? Clerics barely generate aggro. Unless every single CW + GF + GWF in your party are <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> up, there should be very few mobs on you. (most of them should be chasing the CW. Hah)
    3) What do you mean by "no one stands in the blue circle"? Are you shooting off your AS in random locations away from your teammates or something?

Overall the fixes have made cleric pretty boring to play. I'm basically just an Ioun Stone of Healing.

All me has to do is hold "A" or D" and simply side strafe & shoot out the same rotation while waiting to shoot off a Bastion of health if someone does miss a dodge roll.
    At least there was a bit of a challenge when Clerics had all the aggro.
    (.-.)

Meanwhile I'm having a blast on my CW since they are the new tanks. :)
    BiS DC Seyfried - PvP / CN farm (Dragon Server) 1st Degree Burns

twitch.tv/redeclipze
  • trishisherotrishishero Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Wow I'm glad i'm not the only one that is having this problem. I've played the roles of Tanks, Healers, and Dps till endgame in many mmos and I loved Neverwinter 1 and 2. So the mmo would be awesome right? :D and I do love it.... just I've noticed as a Cleric I have been drawing a huge amount of aggro o.o My first thought... The tanks are bad? (and a lot of the ones i end up with are, i.e don't get the adds from me..) I think i manage pretty well but it is really difficult to run around and heal everyone and at the same time stun, kill or knock back the group of adds chasing me. The stupidest part is that when i'm in over my head, the other group members will be like "HEAL!!!! omg!!!" What... You totally didn't notice that out of the one group you guys have been attacking.. the entire rest of the room has been chasing me this whole time while I try to heal you???... lordy. Like... I love challenges but some of these people don't even acknowledge what is done to make sure you stay alive in these scenarios. Not to mention you have to target them while they are running around or away from your los.. Let me stop myself xD I could go on.
  • fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    redeclipze wrote: »
    Meanwhile I'm having a blast on my CW since they are the new tanks. :)

^^this.

Pretty much as soon as that major patch hit, I got my CW to 60 and I never looked back since. Precisely because I can play aggressively, it is a true multi-role class, can use any and almost all my spells for different situations, use different gear, all while dodging mobs and making a high visibility contribution to the group. Also, the difference between a good and bad CW is enormous. Sure beats being a generic replaceable boring healbot!

Only time I very rarely drag out my Cleric is for premade T2s or CN when there are highly skilled and geared players and who know me on my CW but cannot find a Cleric. Since DC was my first char, it is still second nature and with low gear dependence, she is low maintenance.

As for those still moaning about aggro as a DC, I can only giggle. This will never be removed - it is the hallmark of all MMOs. Only threat was fixed so that others could take aggro off you more easily, which they most certainly do now. The only way to deal with aggro is to survive it until it is taken off you. So, get your Defense up to 2k and then yawn your way through fights.

About the only two situations in endgame pve where a good DC makes a significant difference is,

1. FH: kiting mobs at endboss. But in pugs this is rare these days since most bring GFs to do that role.

2. Spider: keeping CW and yourself alive at the start of add phases of endboss. But if you had to choose between a good DC and an average CW versus a good CW and an average DC for that fight, you'd chose the latter because good melee can keep themselves alive and doing their roles indefinitely if they do not need to worry excessively about adds.

As for endgame pvp, DC vs CW ... is that a trick question?
  • fathomfulfathomful Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 207 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    fondlez wrote: »
    About the only two situations in endgame pve where a good DC makes a significant difference is

This is just the worst kind of hyperbole. Clerics bring much to the table in any setting (sans PVP lol). Maybe its not as apparent as a DPS meter listing or a HPS meter listing but its there all the same. Damage reduction, damage boosting, stat boosting, etc.
  • najjanajja Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I was doing T2's before the changes went up, so I don't have any idea what you mean by it having done nothing for our threat. The change is night and day. The only time I get threat is when absolutely no one is targeting the add that I have aggro on, so I'm going to just conclude that your problem lies in bad party members. This is all with me not using Sooth, however Sooth will only make a difference if your tank and team are doing their jobs and not just tunneling the boss.
  • wholyhandgrenadewholyhandgrenade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    fathomful wrote: »
    This is just the worst kind of hyperbole. Clerics bring much to the table in any setting (sans PVP lol). Maybe its not as apparent as a DPS meter listing or a HPS meter listing but its there all the same. Damage reduction, damage boosting, stat boosting, etc.

unless the party sucks all that boosting isn't needed except for boss fights
  • carrotpakcarrotpak Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    cryptic is bad.. they should learn from riot