Plague fire or Vorpal for a CW?

kobrakai2kobrakai2 Member Posts: 147 Bounty Hunter
edited July 2013 in The Library
Which is better for a control wizard?
Post edited by kobrakai2 on

Comments

• tattooedangelstattooedangels Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Vorpal is good for single target enemies but the Plague Fire has the defense reduction which stacks and for that reason I went with Plague Fire, helps the group out a lot more.
  • dkcandydkcandy Member Posts: 1,555 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Ignore above poster.

One of the Highest Geared CWs on our server is in my guild and he runs a Perfect Vorpal with high CRT & ARP. His dmg is ungodly and you can't achieve this with G-Plague fire. Also you only need (1) G-Plague fire in your group.

If you pug a lot it might be a good idea to have 2 Weapons. 1 with G-Plague fire just incase no one has one and other with P.Vorpal.

But for Vorpal to shine you need lots of crt & ARP with a team member with G-Plague Fire.

Otherwise if your CRT is low or you can't afford a P-Vorpal - Grab a G-Lightning as it's amazing for AoE dmg on a budget.
  • kevinf08kevinf08 Member Posts: 432 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    dkcandy wrote: »
    But for Vorpal to shine you need lots of crt & ARP with a team member with G-Plague Fire.

A CW using Eye of the Storm does not need critical rating, if that's what you mean by crt.

In regards to OP, vorpal is probably the best on CW. Plaguefire's defense debuff is garbage since the nerf.
  • dkcandydkcandy Member Posts: 1,555 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    kevinf08 wrote: »
    A CW using Eye of the Storm does not need critical rating, if that's what you mean by crt.

In regards to OP, vorpal is probably the best on CW. Plaguefire's defense debuff is garbage since the nerf.

Lets see... a Debuff on said target that increases all incoming dmg received by x% is garbage? Interesting I'm glad you are not in my guild but have fun doing runs without at least 1 member in your party having G-Plague Fire.
  • zjesminzzjesminz Member Posts: 183 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    I can't afford both of them! :(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • allaerraallaerra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 838 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    dkcandy wrote: »
    Lets see... a Debuff on said target that increases all incoming dmg received by x% is garbage? Interesting I'm glad you are not in my guild but have fun doing runs without at least 1 member in your party having G-Plague Fire.

You know we do successful runs all the time with no one having either one. None of the Dungeons, Skirmishes or quest content absolutely need any of these. Do they help, sure, but they are not necessary.
  • dgfdsdgsgh3dgfdsdgsgh3 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 127 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    kobrakai2 wrote: »
    Which is better for a control wizard?

Rerolling some other class.
  • derpaderpistderpaderpist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I have perfect vorpal on my CW , not worth it .
    " We live in an age of the cheaply made, disposable, high priced junk. " - theunwarshed
  • atorzatorz Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Imo, the job of a CW its to debuff and control multiple targets at once, While doing some damage, hence why your option should be plaguefire. Leave the vorpals for the TR's.
  • silveralucardsilveralucard Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 410 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    as part of a testing that i am doing GPF seems to also gather more Agro probably due to the damage over time, i am still testing the theory but seems accurate
    Everything works out in the end . If it hasn't worked out yet, it isn't the end...
  • walk2kwalk2k Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    considering vorpal is completely and totally BROKEN? .......... lol yeah, plague fire.

if they fixed vorpal though, definitely vorpal. cw with eye of the tiger needs NEEDS NEEDS more crit severity.

not holding my breath though with all the other broken bugged cw abilities.

if you run Thaumaturge build with conduit of ice and/or feeb ray you don't really need more mitigation lowering.
    edited July 2013
    walk2k wrote: »
    considering vorpal is completely and totally BROKEN? .......... lol yeah, plague fire.

if they fixed vorpal though, definitely vorpal. cw with eye of the tiger needs NEEDS NEEDS more crit severity.

not holding my breath though with all the other broken bugged cw abilities.

if you run Thaumaturge build with conduit of ice and/or feeb ray you don't really need more mitigation lowering.

What is vorpal's bug?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • chidy1776chidy1776 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I would personally think just from general mmo knowledge that plague fire is going to give you more consistent damage, unless you have very high crit chance. Ill admit idk the theory crafting behind this but considering the price of vorpal id assume theyre very commonly used. I dnt think the wrong one is going to gimp your character at any rate, plague fire is cheaper and you can always swap later.
    Paul 60 guardian fighter on mindflayer.

Rising Star, fun friendly, community focused guild on mindflayer. We strive to help each other and enjoy the game together. Talk to me for info, or feel free to check and join our community at risingstarneverwinter.enjin.com
  • th0rfinnth0rfinn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 119 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    chidy1776 wrote: »
    plague fire is cheaper and you can always swap later.

Or have 2 weapons
  • schulz87schulz87 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    whats the cap for critical stat? is it 2000?
  • shuy1shuy1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    People always think GPF is not worth it because "someone in the party will use it and they don't stack". Guess what? People expect CWs to run GPF enchantments.

TRs will use Vorpal for obvious reasons.
    GWF will use Vorpal or Lightning.
    DCs probably use Vorpal too but I'm not sure about this.

GFs: probably the only one class that might use Greater Plague fire. You won't always have a GF in the party, hence why I think GPF is better on CWs, a must in every party.

Also, CWs deal with a lot more adds at the same time than GFs with Singularity and every other AoE skill we have.

Having 2 weapons is also an idea, but it's not a practical one for newbies.
  • fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    shuy1 wrote: »
    DCs probably use Vorpal too but I'm not sure about this.

DC's use Vorpal or Holy Avenger.
    GF's use Lightning, GPF or Vorpal.

So, you're right. The class whose role and spells have highest synergy with GPF is very much the CW.
    edited July 2013
    I don't have any of them, they are too expensive. I think, I will come back when I have cash to buy Zen! See you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kerrovitarrakerrovitarra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 559 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    shuy1 wrote: »
    People expect CWs to run GPF enchantments.
    Who cares what people expect? For pugs better take lightning/vorpal, cause wizard is not a support. Constant parties often has a DC or GF with GFP.
  • deknodekno Member Posts: 181 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Who cares what people expect? For pugs better take lightning/vorpal, cause wizard is not a support. Constant parties often has a DC or GF with GFP.

and thats the greater fire plague

vorp for dmg, pf for team.
  • kerrovitarrakerrovitarra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 559 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Still think, GPF is for GWF or GF, cause this classes often stacks tene ench and has no armpen cap. Lightning is much more effective for wizard on AoE.
  • lionmaruu0lionmaruu0 Member Posts: 327 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I agree that having two weapons may be the best.

And if you have a fix team and one of your teammates (tank or another CW probably) is using plaguefire, go vorpal, and even if you play with random team, vorpal may be a better idea since its highly likely that someone on your team (again tank or maybe even a second cw) is already using plaguefire, since it a little cheaper and was more widespread before the nerf.