test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

2 questions... Interior Fade... Unattaching Dialogue

nimmanunimmanu Member Posts: 250 Bounty Hunter
edited July 2013 in The Foundry
So yeah... if someone (not me, naturally--never!) were to attach some dialogue to the wrong place... and need to unattach it... how might she go about it? Not that I would, uh... do that. Oh no. But hypothetically, if someone did... any fix besides the annoying copy, paste, relocate one? :cool:

Now, what I AM trying to do is to put some interior fade at the end of a hallway to make it look like it goes on eternally... how might I go about this? It currently just looks like a big blob of red. The "fog" fade doesn't have any effect. At all.

Any help with either of these issues (even the one I would never ever do--no, not me!), would be deeply appreciated.
Breaching the Swarm NW-DUXUHQWNP

Pick your side, take a stand, save--or kill--your former allies.
Post edited by nimmanu on

Comments

• Options
    eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Depthfade black (maybe white?) should work -- the small 10x10 fades pretty quickly (1-2') but the larger ones might look better if you've got the surrounding room (like the hallway leads to a map edge and not internally where you have 10' before the next hallway).
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    I think I got it. I had to use the HUGE fog and the small depthfade. The problem is that the depthfade doesn't fade... it's a big red blob without any "fade" at all. It's a red line/block/blob that goes from normal stuff to a hard red line. Very unhappy with it.

Even with the fog, it shows up for a few seconds anyway, and it's very ugly. I hope in publish that it works better.

• Options
    ash4llash4ll Member Posts: 231 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    About dialog - simply change costume of NPC and his name. PROBLEM SOVED.

Regarding dreamy background - perhaps something like there?
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?373311-Underwater-cavern-critique
    Runis told me she used some kind of magical flux of something. Something under fx with "magic" in title :P
    Review trades - Need to trade review? Read first post for further info.
    Siegebreaker - NW-DGDPWV2U5 - story about the ambush, escape and great rescue of the city.
    I'm a streamer and I know it!
  • Options
    cipher9nemocipher9nemo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    nimmanu wrote: »
    So yeah... if someone (not me, naturally--never!) were to attach some dialogue to the wrong place... and need to unattach it... how might she go about it? Not that I would, uh... do that. Oh no. But hypothetically, if someone did... any fix besides the annoying copy, paste, relocate one? :cool:

Nope, unfortunately no way that I know of other than copy and paste. Really annoying, happened to me too when I first started. Get a nice, long dialog with lots of dialog choice paths on an NPC, then go to link it to the storyline and realize it wants to create its own.

If you don't want to go through the tedious copy and paste then I'd recommend setting your storyline to "reach point", place a marker right at the NPC, and make the dialog optional. The diamond will still be over the NPC's head, but the objective to talk with them will be optional instead.
    Now, what I AM trying to do is to put some interior fade at the end of a hallway to make it look like it goes on eternally... how might I go about this? It currently just looks like a big blob of red. The "fog" fade doesn't have any effect. At all.

As eldarth stated the depthfades will help and can be up to 40x40 in size for larger hallways (shouldn't matter if it overlaps if the player can't see outside the hallway). Those depthfades should have collision detection enabled by default, so you're killing two birds with one stone. The depth fade fades to a color that is solid.
    cipher_jitn_sig.png
    Hammerfist Clan. Jump into the Night: NW-DMXWRYTAD
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    As eldarth stated the depthfades will help and can be up to 40x40 in size for larger hallways (shouldn't matter if it overlaps if the player can't see outside the hallway). Those depthfades should have collision detection enabled by default, so you're killing two birds with one stone. The depth fade fades to a color that is solid.

But like I said, the depthfades don't seem to fade. They're just a big blob/line of red. No gradual effect at all. Which is super ugly.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    But like I said, the depthfades don't seem to fade. They're just a big blob/line of red. No gradual effect at all. Which is super ugly.

I haven't used them in a long time. What are your graphics settings like? But more importantly, they don't fade anything through them. They're just blocks of color that have gradual fade on the edges.
    cipher_jitn_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Graphics are all high. Got a decent, fairly new card, too.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    If you look straight at them they will be a solid color. If you look from the side at an edge there should be a little fade.
    cipher_jitn_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Also, you could use the depthfade block for a solid color, then an ink fade or some other effect for a little more fading.
    cipher_jitn_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Ink fade.. must look for this. :p

Really, I just want the hallway to appear to fade away into the distance... and I want an NPC to walk past in the mist so that you can't QUITE make them out.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Ink fade.. must look for this. :p

Really, I just want the hallway to appear to fade away into the distance... and I want an NPC to walk past in the mist so that you can't QUITE make them out.

It's "ink" something if you filter for effects under details. Not sure if it's called ink fade, but it is a cool effect and might help you. :)
    cipher_jitn_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    I had another idea... try Heavy Black Fog. Show it when the character enters the hallway, then hide it when they leave. Heavy Black fog fades after a distance, fairly long, but still complete fade to black. I use this in my quest for other things.
    cipher_jitn_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Well, assuming it works when I publish, I think I found an answer that looks freaking cool. Between the fade, the ink, and the fog... lmao!

• Options
    ash4llash4ll Member Posts: 231 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Hey, I though it could be helpful for you. Although it seems I'm late :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS6cWuOOLXE
    Review trades - Need to trade review? Read first post for further info.
    Siegebreaker - NW-DGDPWV2U5 - story about the ambush, escape and great rescue of the city.
    I'm a streamer and I know it!
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Okay, so another question. I want to build an area from scratch. Are there any rooms that are just basically a flat plane? Or a cave that isn't already set up with paths and stuff, would be optimal...?

How do you do the gray misty planes that they use for the aether or whatever?

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Okay, so another question. I want to build an area from scratch. Are there any rooms that are just basically a flat plane? Or a cave that isn't already set up with paths and stuff, would be optimal...?

It depends on if you want an interior or exterior map. Then it depends on what you mean by flat. For exterior, yes, you can start with a flat grassy area. For interior, you'd want to start with an empty map (background is just black by default) then add your own rooms, etc. You can make rooms on an exterior map, but you're doing that mostly on your own with painstakingly placing details to form rooms.
    Well, assuming it works when I publish, I think I found an answer that looks freaking cool. Between the fade, the ink, and the fog... lmao!

Awesome. :)
    cipher_jitn_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Cipher, I want to place a room into the black area of a custom map, and make it into a cave according to my own specifications, rather than someone else's.

Is the only way to do that, just a brand new map with a flat black plane?

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Cipher, I want to place a room into the black area of a custom map, and make it into a cave according to my own specifications, rather than someone else's.

Is the only way to do that, just a brand new map with a flat black plane?

I hope I am correctly understanding what you want to do...

If you want to transition from an exterior environment into an interior environment, I'd recommend a map transition instead, with a door that has a clicky/sparkly teleporter over it.

However, if it's just one cave-like room on an exterior map you can use rock details to build a small outcrop or expand upon an existing hill or mountain. Then you can furnish the inside any way you like.
    cipher_jitn_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    No, I have a crypt. From the crypt, I want people to go into a cave area. They teleport there, so no need for a door match.

I need an extremely tall cave area that I can build onto, but they all have tall paths you have to build along.

EDIT: It's an optional quest, so I don't want to be forced to use a whole new map transition for it (cause then it can't be optional anymore).

• Options
    edited July 2013
    So before foundry crashed on me and I can't get back in, I found a fix for the cave problem. I took an existing cave, and built a floor out of overlapping stair stones at the tallest height of the cave's stones. It turned out fine and looked like a good start once I got going putting in the rest of the stuff on it.

Thanks so much for everyone's help, including the video. :)

• Options
    raphaeldisantoraphaeldisanto Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Huge Cave is the biggest cave room, but it's got platforms everywhere. There's a few huge crypt rooms, but they're only a couple of hundred feet tall. I don't know how tall you need it to be to be "extremely" tall.

I don't know if you've built your crypt yet, but the alternative is to build everything outdoors from base assets, crypt, cave, the whole lot. I know more than a few Foundry authors (myself included) who do this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Yeah, I know I could make an outside area, but I wanted this for a side quest--and a tiny little area, at that. Well, only a few hundred feet wide, anyway. :p

Speaking of questions, can we do cut scenes?? I understood that we can't!