test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Stat choice option would you use it?

dravkwndravkwn Member Posts: 88
edited July 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
If at character creation the game gave you 6 stats to assign being 8 8 10 12 16 and 18 and you got to choose which stat value went where, would you use it?
Post edited by dravkwn on

Comments

• Options
    vdinh037vdinh037 Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    If an option were given, why the heck not use it!!??
    I voted yes.
    More options = more customization!!
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I wouldn't want those particular numbers, but the ability to pick and choose which number went where would be nice.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    arontimesarontimes Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    WTB D&D 4e 22 Point Buy

You start with five stats at 10 and one stat at 8. Then you allocate 22 points between them, with higher stats costing more.

This is before racial modifiers. The standard practice in the CharOp board is that you allocate your 8 to your dump stat and apply 9 points to your primary and your secondary stats, for a total of 16 each, and then 2 points to your tertiary stats, for 12 and 12. The remaining stats are 10 and 8. This gives us the standard CharOp array:

16 16 12 12 10 8, which is good for most characters. It is generally not worth it to get an 18 because it will adversely affect your versatility for not much gain. Note that in PnP, you don't spend most of your time fighting monsters, and that 18 in strength or dexterity isn't going to help convince King Theoden to meet the forces of Isengard head on.

Edit: Point Buy Chart

Stats | Points Needed

If your starting stat is 8, add these points to the chart below. Generally, you don't want to buff your 8 above 10, since it's a waste of points.

9 | 1
    10 | 2

If you're starting with 10.

11 | 1
    12 | 2
    13 | 3
    14 | 5
    15 | 7
    16 | 9
    17 | 12
    18 | 16
    Member of Grievance.

Taking a break from Neverwinter indefinitely...
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »
    I wouldn't want those particular numbers, but the ability to pick and choose which number went where would be nice.
    I just said those numbers for example, I could see several sets of numbers being an option like a 15 15 15 15 12 12, Above average in all your primary and secondary skills and one non class stat so like a GF could have 15 str dex con and int or a CW with 15 int wis cha and con and so forth. As long as there was at least one set that had a couple high stats ie one max stat and one nearly so the rest can be mediocre while another set can be above average in most areas.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    arontimes wrote: »
    WTB D&D 4e 22 Point Buy

You start with five stats at 10 and one stat at 8. Then you allocate 22 points between them, with higher stats costing more.

This is before racial modifiers. The standard practice in the CharOp board is that you allocate your 8 to your dump stat and apply 9 points to your primary and your secondary stats, for a total of 16 each, and then 2 points to your tertiary stats, for 12 and 12. The remaining stats are 10 and 8. This gives us the standard CharOp array:

16 16 12 12 10 8, which is good for most characters. It is generally not worth it to get an 18 because it will adversely affect your versatility for not much gain. Note that in PnP, you don't spend most of your time fighting monsters, and that 18 in strength or dexterity isn't going to help convince King Theoden to meet the forces of Isengard head on.

Stats | Points Needed

If your starting stat is 8, add these points to the chart below. Generally, you don't want to buff your 8 above 10, since it's a waste of points.

9 | 1
    10 | 2

11 | 1
    12 | 2
    13 | 3
    14 | 5
    15 | 7
    16 | 9
    17 | 12
    18 | 16

Haven't seen the 4e stuff the stat systems I'm most familiar with is rolling 4d6 6 times and dropping the lowest d6 off of each set (rolling my own die)and the other is DDOs 28/32 point system where racial bonuses such as halfling starting with +2 dex -2 str and having starting stats of 6 8 10 8 8 8 then applying points where I think the first 6 increments only cost 1 the next 2 cost 2 and the final 2 cost 3 so maxing one stat would cost half of a 32 points build with say max str and con for GWF that would leave you with 16 str 18 con and 10 dex with 3 8s in your dump stats. That seems to be pretty much where this games numbers run but not choosing what goes where drives me to ask why repeatedly.
  • Options
    myo86myo86 Member Posts: 43
    edited July 2013
    that would be pretty op if you can alot ur own stats wherever.
  • Options
    klixanklixan Member Posts: 447 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Yes I would absolutely use it! I love coming up with unusual builds that don't fit the cookie cutter mould.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    myo86 wrote: »
    that would be pretty op if you can alot ur own stats wherever.
    Either your misunderstanding or your seeing something that though its been used in many other games somehow stops working in this game, even though stats in this game are less important compared to some others. If it would be op explaining how is important just saying its op doesn't really do much to convince folks otherwise.
  • Options
    lyfebanelyfebane Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 312 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    I would certianly like abit more choice in what goes where, if they could atleast allow you to put set stats(an array) to where you want or just a real roll then it would be better.

(sorry rest is off track with improvements I would like to see aswell, only the above responds to OP)

ALso it would have been better to launch with basic cleric, fighter, rogue, wizard. Then added paths and paragons to that to differentiate them, such as Great Weapon fighter, Guardian fighter for fighter for example. this is rather than trying to add paths to an already pretty defined class ie Great Weapon Fighter as they are doing now and makes little sense to me. If you had maybe 3 different per basic class thats 12 class variations there. It might not even be that hard to do within the frame work they have.

To expand, taking a fighter example, the herioc feats would be same for all fighter paths as would starting skills below 30. But the paragons would be different for each path and gained when you choose a path. The paths being gained at 30, as now, with paths being Guardian fighter, Great weapon fighter and maybe one other say a dual weapon fighter?, adding skills above 30 for that path? All fighter would be a defender type though, all would want to be in the fore close up to opponents. How the play when there would feel different though, great weapon fighter doing wide swings with a small push back to keep mobs at swing distance?, guardian fighter using sword and shield (shield as a weapon too with sheild moves, slam? bash? sheild slash? aswell as defence.) and the dual weapon fighter using both swords, extra parry maybe? extra dodge? as not using a heavy shield or weapon?

Then could then add more complex semi hybrid classes like ranger, paladins etc.

These and adding a way for poeple to make equipement for the foundry woudl make this game go from and ok/good game to excellent.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] I am not evil, I am just cursed.
  • Options
    lltsnwnlltsnwn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 787 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    I want to buy with real money $$, gold, zen, AD, whatever the ability to reroll my initial character's dice rolls...
    12.jpgRanger.jpg
  • Options
    tinkerstormtinkerstorm Member Posts: 812 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Since the dice rolls aren't really dice rolls but simply random presentations of pre-assigned sets, I think all they need to do is show a listing of the available choices and let the player pick the one he wants rather than clicking a button until the one you want shows up. And, no, I don't want to assign 8 8 10 12 16 18.

I think the absolute best way to handle character creation would be to give you only one choice to make: male avatar or female avatar. The rest should be tournament style and let the game roll stats, choose race, choose class and log you in.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    I think the absolute best way to handle character creation would be to give you only one choice to make: male avatar or female avatar. The rest should be tournament style and let the game roll stats, choose race, choose class and log you in.
    That would definitely be interesting but would take so much choice out of the players hands I doubt more than a small minority would ever play it that way.
  • Options
    alaerickalaerick Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 166 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Would love it. I didn't like any of the rolls so I settled on one that seemed least bad.
    A beautiful death awaits you...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    -Foundry-
    Campaign: The Battle of Neverwinter - NWS-DOQXFA4ZD
    Prologue: A not so simple plan - NW-DCJG75B9D
  • Options
    ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    This would not be very popular, as people want to make a character they can play according to their style. Forcing someone who likes Gnomes to play a Half-Orc is never a good plan in a "so-called" RPG.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tinkerstormtinkerstorm Member Posts: 812 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    This would not be very popular, as people want to make a character they can play according to their style. Forcing someone who likes Gnomes to play a Half-Orc is never a good plan in a "so-called" RPG.
    It works great in real RPGs.
  • Options
    stojekarstojekar Banned Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    wow. NO. I'd like a TRUE D&D model. here comes the flame trolls:
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    click, click, right click, click, click, click, click, R, click, E, click, click, click, Q, clickcliklcikclclclclclclclclclccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc....."

you've turned D&D into STO....

STOP!!! *******!!!!

shut the whole thing down, admit your error, FIX IT, and make a game the world will play....and make millions....stop the jewtrain.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
  • Options
    darthpotaterdarthpotater Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,259 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    arontimes wrote: »
    WTB D&D 4e 22 Point Buy

Stats | Points Needed

9 | 1
    10 | 2

11 | 1
    12 | 2
    13 | 3
    14 | 5
    15 | 7
    16 | 9
    17 | 12
    18 | 16

+1 to this. More customization options is better for all. and the point buy method works very well, i loved it in 4e
    Lescar PvE Wizard - Sir Garlic PvE Paladin
    Caturday Survivor
    Elemental Evil Survivor
    Undermontain Survivor
    Mod20 Combat rework Survivor
    Mod22 Refinement rework Survivor
  • Options
    lordphaalordphaa Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I would rather point system too. Thats what NWN used to do ...
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    lordphaa wrote: »
    I would rather point system too. Thats what NWN used to do ...
    A point system is fine with me I just figured folks would like an option to choose their stats for a custom build that may be different than what the class is typically expected to have.