test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Lag issues

dd93dd93 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited July 2013 in Bug Reports (PC)
Anyone else having lag issues anywhere in game? , been happening for about a day now, i thought it was my ISP, but my broadband is working perfectly, and with the speed i get, i should be having no issues at all!
Post edited by dd93 on

Comments

• Options
    ergophobianergophobian Member Posts: 33
    edited July 2013
    dd93 wrote: »
    Anyone else having lag issues anywhere in game? , been happening for about a day now, i thought it was my ISP, but my broadband is working perfectly, and with the speed i get, i should be having no issues at all!

Speed has nothing to do with lag.
  • Options
    theviking2006theviking2006 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 817 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Speed has nothing to do with lag.

Well lets not generalize that way, speed does have a factor in lag.

2 people in the same location, one with DSL the other with T1 will have a difference in lag due to packet uploads.

But anyways this type of post should be in the Tech support section of the forums.
  • Options
    dd93dd93 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Well lets not generalize that way, speed does have a factor in lag.

2 people in the same location, one with DSL the other with T1 will have a difference in lag due to packet uploads.

But anyways this type of post should be in the Tech support section of the forums.

Ah sorry about that, if possible can a dev Move this post to Technical , or remove it completly, thank you.
  • Options
    edited July 2013

Packet loss causes lag, not speed.
    Take your antiquated T1 at 1.5Mbps, compared to a DSL line at 20Mbps. They both are fully capable of sending the 150kbps the game requires in order to play well. The data gets there on both connections. It's when the data doesn't get there that you notice lag.
  • Options
    cinj216cinj216 Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Packet loss causes lag, not speed.
    Take your antiquated T1 at 1.5Mbps, compared to a DSL line at 20Mbps. They both are fully capable of sending the 150kbps the game requires in order to play well. The data gets there on both connections. It's when the data doesn't get there that you notice lag.

It's like latency doesn't even exist.
  • Options
    adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    If your connection goes through a satellite link or some other slow connection along the route, you will get lag, no matter what - even if you have a fiber-optic connection into your house.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • Options
    inexgravinexgrav Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    same issue today, "server not responding" ..
    pukmp.jpg
  • Options
    tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Rubberbanding everywhere, even on the least populated(3-20 players) instances. After I'd invoked and done the lliira thing, I pretty much gave up any hope of playing my dailies at this time. Ping varied from 800 to 3000ms and the netgraph graph was consistently maxed out so it looked like a little green square at the corner of my screen instead of a graph.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • Options
    zaarel2zaarel2 Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I have experienced the same issue in the last couple to three days. Some rubber banding but mostly 30 to 45 second periods of time where it says "server not responding". I have never had those issues in the last few months until this past week.
  • Options
    allaerraallaerra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 838 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    I have also noticed an increase in rubberbanding and horrid lag. Lag seems to be mostly in dungeons or at times where there are a large number of lags. Which, incidentally, is the time when you want to have it least.
  • Options
    mandoknight89mandoknight89 Member Posts: 1,715 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I've definitely been getting regular amounts of server unresponsiveness. There is a problem when you spend five minutes waiting for the confirmation that the boss killed you during the first minute it dropped the line. A boss that you could have survived quite easily if your companion wasn't completely suicidal and you had the opportunity to continue kiting the boss as you did until the lag set in...
  • Options
    stoxbox1stoxbox1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I've had serious lag issues since the last patch. I can run around for minutes at a time with no aggro, but can't damage mobs and will eventually rubberband back. I've had times where I died and they healed me and I was suddenly back alive. I see all player movements and attacks when this is happening, guild chat, zone chat. I can't roll on loot when this happens. I've lost dungeon delves having to crash my game. I also can't relog or change characters by the way, but even crashing and coming back it isn't fixed. I can go on other characters and it will be fine, I can move, AH, quest, etc, and go back to my other guy and he will still be "stuck." Any ideas or things I can try to help?

Just a little note, I've actually been stuck this way without crashing my game for more than 20 minutes now. My party has cleared 2 bosses, I see damage numbers, boss health bars and everything in real time, but I rubberband back to the same position every time. I've tried unstuck, killme, running and jumping off cliffs, which I can run around under the map for a while before being rubberbanded back.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    cinj216 wrote: »
    It's like latency doesn't even exist.

High latency is not lag, it's high latency. If you are overseas, and have a 500ms ping to the server, then everything you do will take longer for the server to realize it than someone with a 10ms ping. People with high latency get used to the feel of the game.

Lag is when you have a low ping, or a ping you are accustomed to, and expect something to happen in a certain amount of time, and it doesn't, caused by either packet loss, or an increase in latency (which is caused by packet loss and rerouting of data), thereby rubberbanding you as the server and the client get back in synch with each other.
  • Options
    moerevolvermoerevolver Member Posts: 128 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    I haven't noticed any lag, but there are a lot of people on zone chat complaining about it over the past 3 days.
  • Options
    zaarel2zaarel2 Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    High latency is not lag, it's high latency. If you are overseas, and have a 500ms ping to the server, then everything you do will take longer for the server to realize it than someone with a 10ms ping. People with high latency get used to the feel of the game.

Lag is when you have a low ping, or a ping you are accustomed to, and expect something to happen in a certain amount of time, and it doesn't, caused by either packet loss, or an increase in latency (which is caused by packet loss and rerouting of data), thereby rubberbanding you as the server and the client get back in synch with each other.

I am not overseas. I am in the US Midwest. I have experienced the issue where i rubberband back and forth often in the last few days. Worse I have died a few times when i get a message that the server is not responding which generally lasts about 45 seconds. I have also had it where my toon swings his sword a half dozen times AFTER I quit hitting the mouse button and the mob is dead. I have also got several random disconnects. These are all issues I have never had except for over the last week. I have talked to quite a few people who have had the same experience over the past week and they are scattered geographically and have different ISPs. Based on that I would have to think this is something on Cryptics end.
  • Options
    ezaphielezaphiel Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 48
    edited July 2013
    In general, my gameplay exp is quite okay, but it gets bad from pirate skyhold onwards. I have done the skirmish Garumbar (sorry dunno spelling) the Vile many times and it lags like hell. That skirmish in Ebon Downs has this problem too. If it is packet loss, surely it won't be area-specific? I replayed the game for the 6th time and each time its the same :)
  • Options
    terrell396terrell396 Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    i been getting lag from day one of the beta and has continue now and in the future into they decide to buckle down and get to the bottom of it