test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New Campaign System for Neverwinter

kshoksho Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 85
edited July 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Link to the news:
http://nw.perfectworld.com/news/?p=931001

Link from the home page news section about Campaign System brought me to the main forum page so...i start the thread.

For me this is interresting and in my personal opinion Neverwinter is great game but it lack in "something to do", i dont use foundry because it dont match my personal content preferences, but i understand that game is fresh so i wait for more interrestiong stuff and.....it paid off, i'm happy about this "News".
Post edited by ksho on

Comments

• Options
    diedel443diedel443 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    ksho wrote: »
    Link to the news:
    http://nw.perfectworld.com/news/?p=931001

Link from the home page news section about Campaign System brought me to the main forum page so...i start the thread.

For me this is interresting and in my personal opinion Neverwinter is great game but it lack in "something to do", i dont use foundry because it dont match my personal content preferences, but i understand that game is fresh so i wait for more interrestiong stuff and.....it paid off, i'm happy about this "News".

Hmm, it does sound a bit like the reputation system in STO, will be interesting to see how they tune it in NW.
  • Options
    xhritxhrit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    ksho wrote: »
    i dont use foundry because it dont match my personal content preferences.

You can literally create any content you want with the foundry, tailored specifically to your personal tastes. For example, I wanted a quest where you fall down a 1000 foot shaft. People said I was crazy for wanting such a thing, but I made it anyway. One thousand feet deep, straight down! It is one of my favorite things to do in-game.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    xhrit wrote: »
    You can literally create any content you want with the foundry, tailored specifically to your personal tastes. For example, I wanted a quest where you fall down a 1000 foot shaft. People said I was crazy for wanting such a thing, but I made it anyway. One thousand feet deep, straight down! It is one of my favorite things to do in-game.

Sry but i made my opinion about foundry and this is undiscussable for me but thx for sharing the way of describing something i want which will be on place when i dont know what i want from foundry....

The thread is about upcoming Campaign System so it will be nice when you share own opinion about upcoming feature.
  • Options
    ruinedmirageruinedmirage Member Posts: 440 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    xhrit wrote: »

What if my taste in Foundry quests includes excellent loot? Can you do that?

Anyways, I read the article, and I still don't know what the Campaign System is. I was hoping from the title that it had something to do with persistent worlds and live DMing......
  • Options
    ranshasaranshasa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It sounds like the campaign system is essentially more content. As you complete more quests, earn more items, more content (areas/dungeons/skirmishes?) become available to the character.
  • Options
    linkon333linkon333 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Sounds good other then the repeatable quests.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Anyways, I read the article, and I still don't know what the Campaign System is. I was hoping from the title that it had something to do with persistent worlds and live DMing......

Yea the news lack specific details but idea presented in general is promising, dont want to see more details about it, simply put this already on test shard and we will se closely.
  • Options
    chidy1776chidy1776 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Im extremely excited for campaigns. Not only because its content, but i feel rpgs tend to lack max level questing, and i personally enjoy questing. I feel this will bring a lot more of a DnD fan. Its really great to have content like this if your more of a solo player, or just dont feel like doing group content. Cant wait!
    Paul 60 guardian fighter on mindflayer.

Rising Star, fun friendly, community focused guild on mindflayer. We strive to help each other and enjoy the game together. Talk to me for info, or feel free to check and join our community at risingstarneverwinter.enjin.com
  • Options
    vargr01vargr01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    More content is certainly a good thing!

However, I do have one objection: It introduces yet another currency into the game. Don't we have enough "specie" to deal with now? Gold, Diamonds, Glory, Coins (celestial and otherwise), Seals, etc? Might it be possible to use something already in game rather than invent yet another media to harvest and store?

I also have a concern regarding "...one-time use keys.." that drop or are "...for sale in the market..." in order to unlock specific (solo) instances. I'm not exactly thrilled with the need to buy keys to unlock those darn nightmare chests. And, depending on how they set drop rates/rarity, and the sort of hoops one needs to jump through to trigger the chance for a key to drop, I see a potential that certain play styles (players who prefer soloing to teaming) or content areas could become defacto pay-real-money-to-play events.

However, I'll withhold judgement on the latter since the potential to lock content behind a payment process is all in the details of the "drops" implementation.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    We grow not old so long as we continue to chase our dreams.
  • Options
    vayranovayrano Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    vargr01 wrote: »
    More content is certainly a good thing!

However, I do have one objection: It introduces yet another currency into the game. Don't we have enough "specie" to deal with now? Gold, Diamonds, Glory, Coins (celestial and otherwise), Seals, etc? Might it be possible to use something already in game rather than invent yet another media to harvest and store?

I also have a concern regarding "...one-time use keys.." that drop or are "...for sale in the market..." in order to unlock specific (solo) instances. I'm not exactly thrilled with the need to buy keys to unlock those darn nightmare chests. And, depending on how they set drop rates/rarity, and the sort of hoops one needs to jump through to trigger the chance for a key to drop, I see a potential that certain play styles (players who prefer soloing to teaming) or content areas could become defacto pay-real-money-to-play events.

However, I'll withhold judgement on the latter since the potential to lock content behind a payment process is all in the details of the "drops" implementation.

Well it's a way of keeping us in the game longer, STO has multiple currencies and different type of marks for each reputation faction that you need to grind to complete reputation projects.

I don't remember reading anywhere saying these one-time keys would be on sale on the Zen market (unless I missed it). It did say that you could get keys from doing repeatable quests in the zone or buying keys with the currency you earn in the zone. But I agree hopefully the drop rate and the price for a key isn't too steep and is reasonably attainable.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    vargr01 wrote: »

I think that "solo instances" will be simply end-part daily quest chains, you end let's say 10 quest in daily chain and got one key to "kill villain/do something that ends something in solo instances, something like we see in some quest chains while lvl-ing which are ended in solo instance.
    Dev often like to beutify some elements they are working on speaking about it in News section, and players start to think about that elements in letters, for example "SOLO INSTANCES" that we can do many times and got load of shine loot...for real i think this will be "solo instances" where we can go at the end of daily quest chains and got daily loot from ending q, bosses etc. and let's what we can drop tommorow... :p anyway more content is often good thing xD

Enthusiast of questing in ad&d approves that. :D
  • Options
    stabbathstabbath Member Posts: 350 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    What is STO?

Not happy with another currency.

Wish someone would make a pvp arena where it's one on one. No pvp in foundry correct?
  • Options
    skarsysskarsys Member, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    stabbath wrote: »
    What is STO?
    Star Trek Online.
  • Options
    adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I am reserving judgement on the "...one-time use keys.." that drop or are "...for sale in the market..." part, but I am very, very much looking forward to the rest, with repeatable quests and such. Although I am in a good guild, and do dungeon run or skirmishes (with low-level alts) with them, I like playing solo, and more solo content, with repeatable quests is exactly what I want.

Now, if there only was a way for me to go back and do some of the earlier skirmishes I skipped (and as a result I seem to be permanently missing some achievement points), I would be really happy.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • Options
    sneakyervinsneakyervin Member Posts: 101
    edited July 2013
    It seems fun.

The keys will be obtainable as drops, through zen or bought for the new currency you get for doing repeatable quests. I guess this is there to stop people from doing only the 1 or 5 man dungeons over and over and instead do parts of the new zone on a regular basis. Otherwise you'll have the 24/7 people grinding the 1 man or 5 man over and over and taking over the market, flooding it with items (unless they are BoP), rendering the zone useless since people can buy all the new gear for monies. This leading to "lack of content" whining on forums and kids threatening to leave since the game is "zomg bad and lacking".
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    adinosii wrote: »
    Now, if there only was a way for me to go back and do some of the earlier skirmishes I skipped (and as a result I seem to be permanently missing some achievement points), I would be really happy.

Thats my hidden wish bout making all skirmishes scaling to max lvl or in epic versions so i can play it on 60lvl cause doing Skirmish Event on only one skirmish is preatty boring....personally i dont do this anymore :/
  • Options
    nephilim83nephilim83 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    vayrano wrote: »
    Well it's a way of keeping us in the game longer, STO has multiple currencies and different type of marks for each reputation faction that you need to grind to complete reputation projects.

The Reputation system had the opposite effect on me. You log in, grind out your rep marks, spend them on projects, and wait 20 hours for your 2800 rep points. Nothing you do will allow you to advance any faster. And if you skip a day of logging in and setting up your projects, you're a day behind. I prefer to be engaged in meaningful content that rewards me based on performance/time invested. I don't want to have to schedule an appointment with STO everyday. I want to tend to my worldly obligations during the week and then grind out some levels/loot over the weekend. All the reputation system does is lock top-tier loot behind a month-long timer and distract you from the lack of quality end-game content. No one wants to play any of the missions with no mark rewards. They'd rather do the easiest missions (ISE) over and over to get their easy marks and then go back to doffing while they're on CD. I love STO, don't get me wrong, but it's been reduced to earning marks and dilithium, which makes it feel more like a job than a game.
  • Options
    vayranovayrano Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    nephilim83 wrote: »
    The Reputation system had the opposite effect on me. You log in, grind out your rep marks, spend them on projects, and wait 20 hours for your 2800 rep points. Nothing you do will allow you to advance any faster. And if you skip a day of logging in and setting up your projects, you're a day behind. I prefer to be engaged in meaningful content that rewards me based on performance/time invested. I don't want to have to schedule an appointment with STO everyday. I want to tend to my worldly obligations during the week and then grind out some levels/loot over the weekend. All the reputation system does is lock top-tier loot behind a month-long timer and distract you from the lack of quality end-game content. No one wants to play any of the missions with no mark rewards. They'd rather do the easiest missions (ISE) over and over to get their easy marks and then go back to doffing while they're on CD. I love STO, don't get me wrong, but it's been reduced to earning marks and dilithium, which makes it feel more like a job than a game.

I don't really see it as a job, sure it's pretty boring and I agree on the lack of end-game content. Thing is though you can't expect the game to run around your schedule. The old system of running ISE/CSE/KASE space and ground maps multiple times and not getting a drop for weeks/months wasn't something I looked forward to.

I'm pretty skeptical Cryptic will give us anything that different over here. When it says "project", you know there's gonna be some grind/time and some costs attached to them.
  • Options
    lostmarblesherelostmarbleshere Banned Users Posts: 654 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Sounds cool to me. BUt everything added so far sounded cool also. Then when came time to try it out .... Then the stuff doesnt work [not tested] The exploits, buggs, laaaagggggiiing.

I know the game cant compete with WoW or the other top 10 MMO's BUt ****ing test the **** first PLEASE. Test it all this time, like actaully play test it at least.
  • Options
    marvelz0mbiemarvelz0mbie Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    While I'm looking forward to the new module, the campaign system is not a feature - it's a content gate, slowing you down via a grind hiding behind farming repeating content (dailies). It's pretty common these days at endgame for modern MMOs. While these things tend to drive me away from a game due to the repitition, it makes sense for the devs to do this to extend the shelf life of their content. Otherwise, most of us would blow through the expansion in a week or two, and start yelling 'where iz the next module !?!?!?'.

Just don't call your content gates a 'feature'.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    slowing you down via a grind hiding behind farming repeating content (dailies).

To what this "content gate" slow me down??
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Something to do at cap that isn't "queue for 5 man/repeat ad nauseum", sounds like a good thing.
  • Options
    jaymadiv#8056 jaymadiv Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    kiralyn wrote: »
    Something to do at cap that isn't "queue for 5 man/repeat ad nauseum", sounds like a good thing.

there was a reason I purposely ignored the Foundry all the way up to 60. :)