test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Problem with Alt+Tabbing out of Fullscreen

singlemomsinglemom Member Posts: 9 Arc User
edited June 2015 in General Discussion (PC)
Hey guys, so I'm having this recent problem with Alt+Tabbing out of full screen Neverwinter. When i alt tab out, the game doesnt minimize to the task bar like every other game ive played, instead, it just scales down a bit and blocks everything in the middle of my desktop.

Another strange thing is that after alt tabbing out and trying to play the game again the video settings gets changed to minimized (full screen) and I have to set it back to fullscreen and toggle the resolution to another dimension, then back to the dimension im currently using , in order to get the quality back and the mouse cursor accuracy...

If anyone knows how I could fix this, that would be great but in the meantime i honestly cant play this game cause of this.
Post edited by singlemom on

Comments

• pednickpednick Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Use the windows key instead, I wish this game was playable in Linux, I hate F-in windows.
    Be a Leet D00D, can't think of something smart? Always blame the economy.
  • xen1912xen1912 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 309 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I would advise using windowed maximized. its like fullscreen but easier to switch to other windows on the computer.

• taylorfesttaylorfest Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    singlemom wrote: »
    Hey guys, so I'm having this recent problem with Alt+Tabbing out of full screen Neverwinter. When i alt tab out, the game doesnt minimize to the task bar like every other game ive played, instead, it just scales down a bit and blocks everything in the middle of my desktop.

Another strange thing is that after alt tabbing out and trying to play the game again the video settings gets changed to minimized (full screen) and I have to set it back to fullscreen and toggle the resolution to another dimension, then back to the dimension im currently using , in order to get the quality back and the mouse cursor accuracy...

If anyone knows how I could fix this, that would be great but in the meantime i honestly cant play this game cause of this.

Nothing you can do, just how it is.

The best way is to set up your video settings the way you want and then log off and close the game.
    Then go to Cryptic Studios\Neverwinter\Live\Localdata
    Open Gameprefs.pref with the program Notepad++ and find these lines:

PrefEntry GfxSettings.Fullscreen 1

PrefEntry GfxSettings.FullScreenHeight 1080

PrefEntry GfxSettings.FullScreenWidth 1920

Make sure fullscreen has a 1 and then set your resolution.

You will have to always make sure that when you close the game that you have it set to fullscreen.
    When alt + tabbing it should always go to fullscreen windowed allowing you to minimize it.
    When tabbing back in you should only have to change it to fullscreen without changing resolution.
    xen1912 wrote: »
    I would advise using windowed maximized. its like fullscreen but easier to switch to other windows on the computer.

Fullscreen with vsync removes screen tearing.
    10mr4gl.png
  • singlemomsinglemom Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah sorry, I forgot to mention that the same problem happens with using the windows key as well.. However I found a fix on a Baldurs Gate forum.

If you press Alt+Enter , it windows it, then you can click the minimize button on the top right corner of the window. If you want to open it up again, just click neverwinter on the task bar to bring the game up and press Alt+Enter again, and it will set it back to fullscreen with no mouse problems or quality/resolution issues either.

Ill admit, its still pretty annoying and stupid but at least i can semi-deal with this now...
    edited May 2013
    xen1912 wrote: »

Yeah but I think some of my video card settings or cpu something specify that they only work on fullscreen games.
    edited May 2013
    taylorfest wrote: »
    Nothing you can do, just how it is.

The best way is to set up your video settings the way you want and then log off and close the game.
    Then go to Cryptic Studios\Neverwinter\Live\Localdata
    Open Gameprefs.pref with the program Notepad++ and find these lines:

PrefEntry GfxSettings.Fullscreen 1

PrefEntry GfxSettings.FullScreenHeight 1080

PrefEntry GfxSettings.FullScreenWidth 1920

Make sure fullscreen has a 1 and then set your resolution.

You will have to always make sure that when you close the game that you have it set to fullscreen.
    When alt + tabbing it should always go to fullscreen windowed allowing you to minimize it.
    When tabbing back in you should only have to change it to fullscreen without changing resolution.

Fullscreen with vsync removes screen tearing.

Thanks Ill try this too.
  • redwaterxredwaterx Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 130 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I'm having the same issue, never experience in any other game, ever. I think it actually has something to do with DX11, but I haven't tested that hypothesis.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    redwaterx wrote: »
    I'm having the same issue, never experience in any other game, ever. I think it actually has something to do with DX11, but I haven't tested that hypothesis.

You seem to be right. I had the same issue. Every time id Alt-Tab out id loose full screen mode and go into full window. I just disabled DX11 and now Im having zero Alt-Tab issues. It stays full screen all the time now.
  • dryspelldryspell Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    redwaterx wrote: »

i can confirm that this is whats happening with me. DX9 it works fine but same problem as everyone else when switching to DX11 mode
  • nytespawnnytespawn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I've been having the same issue and couldn't figure out what the cause was. After reading this thread I remembered changing my DirectX setting to 11 under Troubleshooting in Video to see if the graphics were any better. That was definitely the cause. After changing it back to DirectX 9 and restarting the game this irritating issue is gone.
  • lordsepheronlordsepheron Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I have alt-tab issue but instead of the above i get disconnected from the game. Running a brand new Nvidia 970GTX windows vista 64 bit