test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

lev 40 Dc could use some tips on dungeon runs

pinkleetpinkleet Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 26 Arc User
edited July 2013 in The Temple
I am not sure rather this game blows hard on healers or I just am not fit to play one. Almost ready to give up on running any dungeons at all. Every pat I am swarmed by the adds, often to the point that I just have to keep moving without even a chance to cast the astral seal so my teammates can have a bit heals while dpsing something.

Trying to land a heal on a tank is just pointless 90% of the time someone else in the pile of mobs/dpsers gets the HOT. Using Soothing light is not an option when you have 2 big *** mofos on you + 4-8 archers.

Boss fights are even worse. The continuous adds spawning comes to the overwhelming point where I am going flat chased by everything in the room while trying to dodge the freaking aoe attacks from adds and boss. I am lucky if I get a chance to put seal on few mobs. There were so many times that I had everything on me there was just nowhere to slide out of the red marks covering the whole freaking floor.

I am really ready to give up. During boss fights I can't do anything but slide/run away from every add and their mother chasing and targeting me. How the hell am I supposed to even cast anything when I am consistently covered by aoe from everything in the room and target by those ****ing archers as well.

Is this getting any better at 60? How do you do boss fights as cleric? What is the job of the dps? Are they supposed to clear the adds when they pop? I could really use some tips guys, help appreciated.

All the guides here say deal with aggro. OK show me how than, because I can't survive long chased by everything in the room. Could someone share some tips on boss fights?

I am 43 now and last 10 levels dungeon runs were just.. idiotic. I had 1 decent run when the tank held aggro off more than just the boss, and another when the GWF was taking the biggies and archers off me. Other 20 runs were just .. frustrating.

O and Cryptic? Please do something about people dcing in dungeons. It's becoming a plague under 60.

Any tips and help appreciated, thanks.
Post edited by pinkleet on

Comments

• bluthbananabluthbanana Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    First of all, it will get a lot better once you have Astral Shield. Cast in Divine mode it provides hitpoint regeneration and a great defense buff. If you position yourself inside it you will have a great time. Of course red areas still need to be dodged, but else it would be boring.
    You should use Foresight and the Foresight feat. It's an 11% damage reduction. Also have enough def on your equipment.
    Last, the archers are a problem if noone is responsible for them. Tell someone in the party to take care of them exclusively.
  • tyrtallowtyrtallow Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 747 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    At level 40 only two heals from you is expected: Divine Forgemaster's Flame, and Astral Seal. Everything else is optional - although if you're a Faithful-type cleric you should consider slotting other heals like Sunburst or Bastion of Health, simply because the heals of a Faithful cleric usually also grant powerful beneficial effects. If you ever find yourself struggling with divine power/AP generation slot Sunburst.

You underestimate your allies. Potions are dirt cheap (and drop everywhere at these levels) and GFs are more or less self-sufficient when it comes to keeping themselves alive, except in intense boss fights. They have very strong "heals" of their own, GFs. You are not expected to keep everyone fully healed - you are only expected to heal just enough so everybody stays alive, while buffing everyone with Foresight or helping kill mobs. This may change at higher levels when Astral Shield comes into play, but for now this is your reality.

You are expected to voice out any problems you might be facing during dungeon runs. If people do not listen to you, ie, they still allow an unholy amount of mobs to keep chasing you then do not bother trying to aim Healing Word/Soothing Light on the tank and attend to your own needs. Slot Chains and use it on mobs, or use your Divine Forgemaster's Flame on the elite mob closest to you. If people complain that you're not healing them, then tell them that it's impossible for you to heal them if you're being chased by half the mobs in the boss fight. That usually shocks them into trying to find an arrangement that will help minimize the amount of adds chasing you. If not, leave. Help other clerics by setting a precedent for PUGS - <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> off the cleric by not doing your job = dungeon run ends. You should consider this especially when there are multiple GFs or if there's a GWF in the party. Generally CWs at these levels will also be struggling with adds getting aggroed by their own spells so don't expect too much from them (unless there's two, and neither of them are using Arcane Singularity) but GFs, and GWFs in particular, are expected to help you deal with adds. Same story with multiple TRs - one TR must be helping you deal with adds, unless both of them have really insane DPS. Having two TRs focus on a boss is generally a recipe for disaster at these levels, especially if everyone else is not killing adds fast enough.

For your part, you should start accepting the reality that you are expected to spam potions during boss battles and that, at these levels, you yourself must have some means of dealing with adds. You are not expected to deal with all of them, but your are expected to have some defenses of your own (chains, etc). Also, take the time to explain to your allies how Astral Seal and Forgemaster's Flame works whenever possible.
    You there. New to the game? Feeling overwhelmed? Maybe you think getting to end-game is impossible for a casual player like yourself, or maybe you just need to be around a community that helps each other stay sane and competitive with the latest news, current trends, random chitchat and most of all LEGIT (that is, we try to keep things fair) gameplay. If you don't mind being around quirky people and the rare occasional drama (one of our prominent TR members is apparently a mafia godfather) join nw_legit_community at http://www.nwlegitcommunity.shivtr.com/forum_threads/2330542.
  • indolo238indolo238 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 51
    edited June 2013
    Level 46 cleric here.

On my gear, I focus on defense and recovery while trying to keep decent crit (everything has power on it). Running about 1000 defense, recovery, power (maybe 400-600 crit?) with my ioun stone. For feats, basically following unspecifiederror's guide.

I'm running dungeons with divine armor (just got this one recently), hallowed ground, sunburst, forgemasters, and daunting light, sacred flame and astral seal for at wills, and foresight (feated) and holy fervor for features. I guess I've been luckier because most of my dungeon runs haven't had too many adds on me, or at least not more than I can handle.

I sunburst a lot to gain divinity, use divine forgemasters and astral seal as my heals, and nuke the adds causing problems with daunting light (divine if they're more spread out). With holy fervor, I build AP fast, so I use my dailies if I'm not going to need them soon and they'd be helpful. After all, if your AP is full, you're not gaining any AP.

Definitely use potions, and if things aren't going so well during the boss battle, use them on cooldown if the healing isn't going to go to waste. I generally don't need them on the trash.

You should have lots of practice avoiding red. Be good at it. Your party might be full of idiots standing in it, but they get 100% of your healing and you don't, so you can't afford to be it in very much. Often, getting out of the red is more helpful than any ability you could cast that would keep you in it.

As was said, it's not your job to keep your party's HP full. They have potions too (or should). Our job is to keep them alive long enough to kill the boss, and any extra healing that saves them from popping a potion is bonus.

Some fights require killing or controlling adds; other fights you can just DPS the boss down and only worry with a couple of annoying adds. If it's the former and you're party isn't helping, just saying something can often help. "Sorry I couldn't get to you, those adds were all over me knocking me around."

The end boss on Grey Wolf Den was murder with the group I ran it with. Only the CW and I were aware of how awful those spirit dogs were, and we couldn't handle them all with all the other adds on top of us too (and with the rest of our party standing in the boss's aoe spawning more of them). I think we beat that one on the third try by luck.
  • odd111outodd111out Member Posts: 173 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I run a build without Foresight, using Divine Fortune and Holy Frevor, and focusing more on Recovery at that level, and second Critical. I slotted Sunburst, FF and Chains. For my Dailies, I spammed Hallowed Ground exclusively in Dungeons.

Basically I would stick to the CW like glue. In rare instances without a CW, I just practice staying behind the boss (in relation to the tank). The most important thing to do is to go into the boss battle with HG up. Put it down, Astral Seal only what people have already dealt damage to, use Sunburst and Chains on mobs, Divine FF the boss, Astral Seal and Sacrad Flame until your encounters come up. Whenever FF comes up, Astral Seal the boss and apply it. Don't even look or hesitate. You have to spend it to get HG back up, along with everything else.

CW don't usually mind a divine Sunburst and it won't move a boss the tank is on. As for mobs chasing you, you have to work on keeping a margin of cast available to yourself. Then alternate Sunburst and Chains and go to the closest teammate. Stand right on them until they get the picture.
  • morsitansmorsitans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,284 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    The other thing to note is that mid-level dungeons include Mad Dragon and Wolf Den, both of which are far, far harder than anything you usually encounter before (and indeed, a lot harder than quite a lot of dungeons you encounter afterward). Don't be disheartened if you're having trouble with wolf den: wolf den is just...nasty.

There are tricks to it, but even with those, it's still nasty.
  • pinkleetpinkleet Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Thank you very much for all the replays and tips guys. I try to keep HG as much as possible, hit boss with Forgemaster's flame (divine mode ofc) and mark mobs with seals so the dps will get some heals while dpsing. Sunburst also has nice healing to it, unfortunately it adds to aggro of more than I already have on me.

I am going to try to slot chains instead of hot see if that helps a bit. It would be really awesome if some1 could make like a mini guide for each dungeon thou. Put tricks and mechanics of each boss, and what's the best order of doing things. It seems that at lower levels a lot of people have the idea to kill the boss and ignore the adds and it is not working well.

Anyway. Thanks all for responding and help.
  • gabriael69gabriael69 Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2013
    i have Target of target on enemy mobs for easyer time of getting that one hot on the tank if he doing his job he should have aggro i find in most MMO's ToT your friend
  • ganjaman1ganjaman1 Member Posts: 792 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    pinkleet wrote: »
    I am not sure rather this game blows hard on healers or I just am not fit to play one. Almost ready to give up on running any dungeons at all. Every pat I am swarmed by the adds, often to the point that I just have to keep moving without even a chance to cast the astral seal so my teammates can have a bit heals while dpsing something.

Trying to land a heal on a tank is just pointless 90% of the time someone else in the pile of mobs/dpsers gets the HOT. Using Soothing light is not an option when you have 2 big *** mofos on you + 4-8 archers.

Boss fights are even worse. The continuous adds spawning comes to the overwhelming point where I am going flat chased by everything in the room while trying to dodge the freaking aoe attacks from adds and boss. I am lucky if I get a chance to put seal on few mobs. There were so many times that I had everything on me there was just nowhere to slide out of the red marks covering the whole freaking floor.

I am really ready to give up. During boss fights I can't do anything but slide/run away from every add and their mother chasing and targeting me. How the hell am I supposed to even cast anything when I am consistently covered by aoe from everything in the room and target by those ****ing archers as well.

Is this getting any better at 60? How do you do boss fights as cleric? What is the job of the dps? Are they supposed to clear the adds when they pop? I could really use some tips guys, help appreciated.

All the guides here say deal with aggro. OK show me how than, because I can't survive long chased by everything in the room. Could someone share some tips on boss fights?

I am 43 now and last 10 levels dungeon runs were just.. idiotic. I had 1 decent run when the tank held aggro off more than just the boss, and another when the GWF was taking the biggies and archers off me. Other 20 runs were just .. frustrating.

O and Cryptic? Please do something about people dcing in dungeons. It's becoming a plague under 60.

Any tips and help appreciated, thanks.

Get to 60 asap by any means ( pve , pvp , foundry whatever ) .
  • odd111outodd111out Member Posts: 173 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    And Zone pickups for Dungeons are great. My favorite part of leveling is doing Dungeons that way. I did Pirate King 14 times, and just leveled by that whole zone that way. With the same zone group, we met and would go through several times for a couple of days. Even when we went over the Q limit, we still did it by manual entry. I made a couple of friends I still run Epics with.
  • pinkleetpinkleet Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    OK I think I am done doing any instances till I am 60. Tanks running at the back of the group, and the other dpseres keep standing in red spots getting 2 shoted by boss aoe.

I mean ... really? REALLY??? I thought wow was bad.. gezzzus. Are people that brainless?
    edited June 2013
    OK I think I am done doing any instances till I am 60. Tanks running at the back of the group, and the other dpseres keep standing in red spots getting 2 shoted by boss aoe.

I mean ... really? REALLY??? I thought wow was bad.. gezzzus. Are people that brainless?

I hope you realize that you are dealing with a player base very different from that of other MMOs like WoW here. Neverwinter is international, free and has much lower PC requirements than most MMOs. Bottomline, a lot of the people you are playing with are newbies. It doesn't help that the game currently gives you quest XP like crazy, so people are getting to level 40+ even when they haven't even fully mastered their class yet.

And tanks do not have a dash/charge, except one which only works when there's a hostile mob around. It's normal to find them at the back of the group if everyone else is refusing to wait for them.
    You there. New to the game? Feeling overwhelmed? Maybe you think getting to end-game is impossible for a casual player like yourself, or maybe you just need to be around a community that helps each other stay sane and competitive with the latest news, current trends, random chitchat and most of all LEGIT (that is, we try to keep things fair) gameplay. If you don't mind being around quirky people and the rare occasional drama (one of our prominent TR members is apparently a mafia godfather) join nw_legit_community at http://www.nwlegitcommunity.shivtr.com/forum_threads/2330542.
  • kiraliakiralia Member Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The pc reqs to be able to play are quite low, to be able to play well they are quite high. Friend just got new comp yesterday and it made a huge difference to what he was actually able to see and how fast he could react to things.

We have a lot of old wow type mmo players where the healing is very different. Many people are used to being able to stand around in the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> on the floor and just get healed through it by a competent healer. Here even with the best healers if you stand in the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> you are probably gonna die. Takes a while for people to get used to that.

Tanks don't have to be the first into the fray either, in many cases it can even be the healer actually making the pulls and the tank hanging back to see what comes along and which mobs he is best off jumping on. Just depends what your group can handle. If people are running off in different directions and pulling the world thats their funeral though.

Then you do have a far greater newbie crowd too as the guy above me said. People who just don't have a clue how to co-operate in an mmo yet or who have only played solo up until mid level dungeons.

Yeah it can be frustrating but its a lot of fun too. Especially if you take a breath and don't treat it as seriously as you might other games. Remember you can't heal stupid, and here half the time you can't even heal clever lol
  • rnewton8rnewton8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 131 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    The first reply hit this right on the head..I have been in groups like this more times than i can count. Even at 60, its happened. I even had 1 guy act like I was suppose to say it up front about needing to get adds off me.. I couldnt beleive it.. How can you be level 60 in an MMO and not that it is paramount for the dps to keep the adds of the healer if they expect heals in a dungeon.I thought that would just be common knowledge, especially for ppl at high level. I take the heal powers off my bar and switch to dps if other ppl in the group cant do their job. And after 2 tries of potion spamming while kiting, if the group still cant get it together, then I'm out. Its not ur heals, it that other ppl in your pugs are <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>
  • faeriestormfaeriestorm Member Posts: 460 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    rnewton8 wrote: »
    The first reply hit this right on the head..I have been in groups like this more times than i can count. Even at 60, its happened. I even had 1 guy act like I was suppose to say it up front about needing to get adds off me.. I couldnt beleive it.. How can you be level 60 in an MMO and not that it is paramount for the dps to keep the adds of the healer if they expect heals in a dungeon.I thought that would just be common knowledge, especially for ppl at high level. I take the heal powers off my bar and switch to dps if other ppl in the group cant do their job. And after 2 tries of potion spamming while kiting, if the group still cant get it together, then I'm out. Its not ur heals, it that other ppl in your pugs are <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>

This is true, I have a dps spec cleric, and I have done dungeons with her as the only cleric, when they dont see me healing they start dodging. Might be a good thing for a non-dps cleric to do though if people aren't keeping adds off you, just to see if the other players can dodge and stuff.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gelatin1gelatin1 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I find that the easiest way to resolve the problem you're having is to speak up. First thing in the instance say something like "I heal better if I'm not swarmed by a bizillion adds all the time". Then, when you die on the first or second boss due to adds, be sure to hit the help a few times when you go down, then watch the group wipe. Remind them "I can't heal you if I have 123059u23058209582905823 adds on me". Usually resolves itself at that point as 1-3 of the dps will appoint themselves to clearing adds, if they didn't already get the hint from when you mentioned at the start of the instance.

Leveling instances are training instances. This is when you most want to get in pugs and run those. Even if you're the best cleric in the world, your dps needs to learn to watch out for you or wipe. Otherwise, at 60, you get dps that doesn't know to watch out for the healer and much frustration endgame. It's a lot less painful to wipe or have the group give up at 40 than at 60 when there's gear you actually want/need on the line.
    edited June 2013
    One of the reasons this problem exists, imo, is that many people keep trying to be top DPS even when they should be doing something else for the betterment of the party as a whole. While you can help newbies and nudge them in the right direction by speaking out, there will always be people who will ignore the importance of their role simply because they expect all clerics to be Mother Teresas - we are expected to dutifully drop Astral Shields and keep aiming perfect Healing Word/Soothing Light even when the Guardian Fighters does not a slot a single mark/taunt skill, even when CW refuses to cast Steal Time/Arcane Singularity/Chill spells, even when the GWF completely ignores his role as a secondary defender.

Unfortunately for them, I play a cleric not because I wanted to be a healbot but because I was intrigued by the leader role. Thus, when I find myself in a party where everyone is doing this I would drop the Mother Teresa act and forego the use of my standard encounter powers. Chaos ensues. It's all fun, though. If they expect you to act like a saint while they themselves willfully act like spoiled children, then don't hesitate to use them as guinea pigs for your power-testing experiments. You might learn something new, and please don't forget to tell the rest of use if you do.
  • baalhashmalbaalhashmal Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    tyrtallow wrote: »
    One of the reasons this problem exists, imo, is that many people keep trying to be top DPS even when they should be doing something else for the betterment of the party as a whole. While you can help newbies and nudge them in the right direction by speaking out, there will always be people who will ignore the importance of their role simply because they expect all clerics to be Mother Teresas - we are expected to dutifully drop Astral Shields and keep aiming perfect Healing Word/Soothing Light even when the Guardian Fighters does not a slot a single mark/taunt skill, even when CW refuses to cast Steal Time/Arcane Singularity/Chill spells, even when the GWF completely ignores his role as a secondary defender.

Unfortunately for them, I play a cleric not because I wanted to be a healbot but because I was intrigued by the leader role. Thus, when I find myself in a party where everyone is doing this I would drop the Mother Teresa act and forego the use of my standard encounter powers. Chaos ensues. It's all fun, though. If they expect you to act like a saint while they themselves willfully act like spoiled children, then don't hesitate to use them as guinea pigs for your power-testing experiments. You might learn something new, and please don't forget to tell the rest of use if you do.

I concur with this quoted passage and sums up my reason for being a cleric and the frustrations that come with teaming with "spoiled children."

I have taken the time now to NOT cast Astral Shield or any other healing or buffs when the party I am currently with completely disregards teamwork/are not making any effort to help others. That way, they realize that they are simply cannon fodder to a mob of enemies while I sit at a dungeon campfire with a "Brb, need a drink." :p

Cleric: Marquis Elmdore - Current Main <3
    Wizard: Iamblichus
    Fighter: Anna the Titan
    Barbarian: Anann Valkyrja
    Ranger: Minerva Cory'phaia
    Warlock: Suri Coralyne Reid

Guild: She Looked Level 18.
    Alliance: Imperium
  • ume17ume17 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I had a ridiculous dungeon run today, at lvl 29. It was the C Crypts, and had one player whose health was always low, and I kept throwing my small heals in between fights on him, and even try and target him during fights for channeled heals, when the adds weren't on me. Not surprisingly, he died right away on the final boss. We wipe, I'm the 2nd to last alive, and as I'm running back, I read party chat, and the first to die confesses that he has no potions, and for the rest of us to hurry up, then has the gall to write 'Heals you need to hel (sp) and not dps' -_-. I stopped and replied, 'This isn't wow. You're supposed to have potions' and I dropped. Bad me, but AARGH.
    edited July 2013
    So I got to 60. And I wanted to personally “thank” all those experts posting on forums about clerics “you are off tank deal with it”. I have never had such a horrid experience in any mmo for last 10 years of gaming playing either healer, tank or dps as in Neverwinter.

Thanks to all your posts/info, every <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> and 5 years old in game keeps dpsing the boss and letting the cleric “off tank” the adds. Unfortunately in order to cast something that heals we have to stand still for a second which is becoming impossible when you have the whole freaking room of adds chasing you. On the top of that we are also focused by every range mob in the room little or large that chips our HP even faster.

Stop posting this <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> all over forums and teach people how to take care of clerics. Perhaps than you will not have to sit and keep spamming chat for clerics when DD hr is on.
  • leillannaleillanna Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    So I got to 60. And I wanted to personally “thank” all those experts posting on forums about clerics “you are off tank deal with it”. I have never had such a horrid experience in any mmo for last 10 years of gaming playing either healer, tank or dps as in Neverwinter.

Thanks to all your posts/info, every <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> and 5 years old in game keeps dpsing the boss and letting the cleric “off tank” the adds. Unfortunately in order to cast something that heals we have to stand still for a second which is becoming impossible when you have the whole freaking room of adds chasing you. On the top of that we are also focused by every range mob in the room little or large that chips our HP even faster.

Stop posting this <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> all over forums and teach people how to take care of clerics. Perhaps than you will not have to sit and keep spamming chat for clerics when DD hr is on.

1-make friends with a GF who had enforced threat,into the fray, and threatening rush slotted and doesn't attempt to simply herpa derp DPS.
    2-Make friends with a *control* wizard.
    3-Maked friends with a rogue who understand his/job is to burn down elites/bosses and not trash.
    4-Makes friends with a good sentinel specced GWF. This is a littler harder then the other 3.
    5-Slot sunburst,astral shield always. For your third you rotate between FF and bastion of health. Dailies-Divine armor and HG.
    6-Understand 75% of the player population is bad.
    7-Have some pie.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Eilistraee zhal zuch tlu wun ussta xukuth.
  • tuuserailtuuserail Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Ah, the times when Control Wizards don't know what "Control" means.
    edited July 2013
    Times change. About a week ago wizards knew their place and would use Steal Time right after Astral Shield disappears to help buy us time, or use Arcane Singularity against annoying adds. Recently we've had an influx of new high levels wizards who have no idea what they should be doing and who prefer to use Ice Storm more than anything else.