test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Usefulness of Oppressive Force

magemyronmagemyron Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 24 Arc User
edited July 2013 in The Library
Hello fellow Wizards!

I recently respecced my lvl 60 CW and had many spare points, so I gave Oppressive Force daily a try, to see how useful it might be. On PvE it seems to deal nice damage and halt enemies for a short time, though you can't place where it's cast, it's solid, but it's nowhere near as useful as a good Singularity. Perhaps it can be used to stop enemies in an emergency, but even so, you must be near them.
On PvP it didn't impress me at all. At first, I thought I might replace Singularity with OF (since it's easily avoided) because I wanted a faster AOE magic. But the damage OF deals is pretty lackluster and it don't daze anyone. For example, I used it against a group of 4 people, it dealt like a thousand or so damage to each one and no daze.

Please, share your thoughts! What are the possible uses for Oppressive Force?
Post edited by magemyron on

Comments

• lemandallemandal Member Posts: 61
    edited June 2013
    Oppressive force affects an unlimited number of enemies, whereas arcane singularity has a max. So sometimes, it can be useful in pve... sometimes.
  • fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    If you are the solo CW and group is being overwhelmed by adds in T2 Spider, the daze from OF happens more or less instantly, against any number of adds and because it is multi-daze its almost like putting down 2 TR Smoke Bombs one after the other. So, its pretty good for emergencies. Since you're solo CW, its not as if you could slot something like Ice Knife for dps instead...

I have also used it in Gauntlgrym in PvP when you keep being swarmed by a lot more than just 5 players consistently at a point that you need. Though in this case, Ice Knife is definitely normally preferred.
  • magemyronmagemyron Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    But what about it's damage? It's quite underwhelming. And I hardly see the daze effect work on players, why should it be useful in GG?
  • fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    magemyron wrote: »
    But what about it's damage? It's quite underwhelming. And I hardly see the daze effect work on players, why should it be useful in GG?

Works for me. And it serves as an aoe interrupt if the players are not CC-Immune at the time.
  • copticonecopticone Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    lemandal wrote: »
    Oppressive force affects an unlimited number of enemies, whereas arcane singularity has a max. So sometimes, it can be useful in pve... sometimes.

Not sure how this rumor got started. At least if it is true, I have not witnessed/noticed the max number of targets for Singularity. I think maybe someone thought it had a limit when some CC immune mobs didnt get sucked in. If I am wrong, then the max number is pretty high that it is irrelevant.
    Check out my personal Nerf Proof T2 Thaumaturge Build.
  • lemandallemandal Member Posts: 61
    edited June 2013
    copticone wrote: »
    Not sure how this rumor got started. At least if it is true, I have not witnessed/noticed the max number of targets for Singularity. I think maybe someone thought it had a limit when some CC immune mobs didnt get sucked in. If I am wrong, then the max number is pretty high that it is irrelevant.

Use the foundry "50 Hulk challenge" to test it : 15 targets max.
    It is relevant in CN's 3rd boss. Arcane singularity will fail to pull the whole swarm, but Oppressive force can daze the few seconds needed to revive your cleric.
  • kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    copticone wrote: »
    Not sure how this rumor got started.

By testing. It is indeed true, just that the limit is quite high, you rarely have enough time to notice when you're actually being chased by that many mobs in-game. However, use a rigged foundry setup, and you can see it clearly.
  • thorizdenthorizden Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Good for Spider last boss and CN last boss as others have said. Its one that I don't expect damage from (I think I only have one point in it) but the mez and the speed of casting is nice.
  • gabryelgabryel Member Posts: 542 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Isn't OF's base damage is higher than Singularity's as well? Unless Singularity scales better in the long run or something, I think OF would do more damage as well. Singularity has very good control components that makes for easy targets for additional AOE skills.
    edited July 2013
    gabryel wrote: »
    Isn't OF's base damage is higher than Singularity's as well? Unless Singularity scales better in the long run or something, I think OF would do more damage as well. Singularity has very good control components that makes for easy targets for additional AOE skills.

In fact that's the first odd thing that I noticed, the tooltip states that on Rank 3 OF deals 3640-4240 Arcane Damage, and that Arcane Singularity deals 3220-3821, so I did expect higher damage from it. Though when using it, OF's damage doesn't even come close to AS damage on PvE, and even less on PvP.
    edited July 2013
    In fact that's the first odd thing that I noticed, the tooltip states that on Rank 3 OF deals 3640-4240 Arcane Damage, and that Arcane Singularity deals 3220-3821, so I did expect higher damage from it. Though when using it, OF's damage doesn't even come close to AS damage on PvE, and even less on PvP.

Since the spell has 2 stages, I wonder if the damage is split into 2 parts as well. Or maybe since it has no aoe target cap, the damage is reduction multiple targets is more severe? Meh, now I'm regretting that I got it.
    edited July 2013
    Or perhaps it's even badly bugged/programmed, can expect anything from Cryptic at this point.
    edited July 2013
    From testing on dummies. Opressive Force does 4 ticks of smallish damage during the "charge up" phase, represented by all the metal objects flying into the center. It then expodes to do a large burst damage.

The total of all the ticks and the final burst falls within the listed damage range. But the damage amount from the final burst is less than the damage listed in the tooltip. This is probably why it seems like it's doing less damage.
  • johnygwapojohnygwapo Member Posts: 442 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Or perhaps it's even badly bugged/programmed, can expect anything from Cryptic at this point.

i agree on this. "badly programmed"
  • coglovercoglover Member Posts: 97
    edited July 2013
    Its extremly usefull in pvp, cant believe nobody is using it, as it counters the thing that EVEEEERYOOONE IS SPAMMING THE FORUMS ABOUT.

before i say what it counters ill just give a few tips on WHEN to use it on pvp.

When people are immune to CC, (gwf in unstoppable, rouge in ITC ETC.) it will NOT daze them, however, if you use the spell while they are not in that mode, they cannot use ITC or unstoppable (main point is that u cant "break free" from this spell) so it gives around 2 sec of the enemy near u not doing anything, which can be usefull if there is 3 or 4 players near u etc.

Second point, it counters INVIS ROUGES! (WHAT, HOW, NO WAY!?!?!) in such way since when rouge are in invis, they are not immune to CC, and the OF daily has quite a large AOE, so if you know there is an invis rouge either next to u, or couple feet from u throwing knives, u can teleport to their direction and use the OF, this will cause the rouge to BECOME VISABLE + Dazed (which means he cant use ITC) and you get 2-3 sec to choke the rouge and chill strike, ice ray etc.etc. aswell as ur teammate (if its a 2v1 situation vs an invis rouge etc.)

a tip is if your alone on the point and its beeing contested but you dont see anyone there (obv. an invis rouge then) and u get hurt, stand in the middle of the point and use OF, it will reveal the rouge.

Sorry for my bad english but hope it helps :)

EDIT: Cons are that u cant use ur ice knife aswell ofc, but when its up against a invis rouge ur ice knife will not help u anyway
    edited July 2013
    coglover wrote: »
    Its extremly usefull in pvp, cant believe nobody is using it, as it counters the thing that EVEEEERYOOONE IS SPAMMING THE FORUMS ABOUT.

before i say what it counters ill just give a few tips on WHEN to use it on pvp.

When people are immune to CC, (gwf in unstoppable, rouge in ITC ETC.) it will NOT daze them, however, if you use the spell while they are not in that mode, they cannot use ITC or unstoppable (main point is that u cant "break free" from this spell) so it gives around 2 sec of the enemy near u not doing anything, which can be usefull if there is 3 or 4 players near u etc.

Second point, it counters INVIS ROUGES! (WHAT, HOW, NO WAY!?!?!) in such way since when rouge are in invis, they are not immune to CC, and the OF daily has quite a large AOE, so if you know there is an invis rouge either next to u, or couple feet from u throwing knives, u can teleport to their direction and use the OF, this will cause the rouge to BECOME VISABLE + Dazed (which means he cant use ITC) and you get 2-3 sec to choke the rouge and chill strike, ice ray etc.etc. aswell as ur teammate (if its a 2v1 situation vs an invis rouge etc.)

a tip is if your alone on the point and its beeing contested but you dont see anyone there (obv. an invis rouge then) and u get hurt, stand in the middle of the point and use OF, it will reveal the rouge.

Sorry for my bad english but hope it helps :)

EDIT: Cons are that u cant use ur ice knife aswell ofc, but when its up against a invis rouge ur ice knife will not help u anyway

It seems awesome when you put it that way! I'll actually test that in PvP. Some hope for the spell then?
    edited July 2013
    It seems awesome when you put it that way! I'll actually test that in PvP. Some hope for the spell then?

I use it in dungeons because I feel bad every time one of my spells punts someone just as I see a melee class about to land an attack. Of course I still use Singularity to round up enemies, but that's only if they are scattered all over the place.
  • ulyxosulyxos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 49
    edited July 2013
    I use it in fights where you need to prevent mobs from using abilities quick... AS often let mobs complete their attacks which may be disastrous while OF will interrupt most AE (red spots) attacks as well as many "normal" attacks. I often alternate between them to augment dmg and CC (OF is better CC than AS) i use AS to bunch up mobs then use OF to keep them tame ;).

In PVP, it is the best weapon against a healer GF combo ... prevent healing and prevent guard from the GF. So he is squishy and dont get heals ... He goes down easily ... Tricky part is to put it down whithout getting bumped during the casting ...