test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

You can do that?!?!

jeepinjeepin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited July 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
There seems to be so many uncommon or unknown things in this game that I have either inadvertantly learned or that were taught to me from others who have passed on their wisdom.

I wanted to start a thread where people could share their knowlege or ideas of things that aren't common knowlege, you learned by mistake, or cool things to share.

To start I just naturally assumed that you had to remove a gem from a piece of gear in order to put in a new one. That is incorrect. You can put a new gem over an old gem (but you lose the old gem). I did not know that.

I was told (and then proved for myself) That you get better stats by mixing set piece bonuses (and a higher gear score) Rather than going for the 4 piece set bonus, the two 2 piece set bonuses seem to a better deal. (For me... may vary based on class, gear etc)

Many people do not understand how the companions work. The starting companions only get as high as level 15 which is about Character level 30. The Green level companions get to level 20 (lvl 40), the Blue level companions get to level 25 (lvl 50) and the Purple get to lvl 30 (lvl 60) . Obtaining the higher level companions is not easy, but they make a huge difference as they are leveled. You also want to use Exp gems in them in the beginning to speed things up a bit.

Please post your new found game experiences so that others (newbs like myself.... Lvl 60 in 11k GS and still a newb apparently hehe) may learn from your experiences!

Thanks!
Post edited by jeepin on

Comments

• Options
    diorieldioriel Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    You can make macros and keybinds that will do multiple actions, and/or keybind pretty much anything you want. For example, I have a key that drops me into stealth then uses lurker's assault...and that's a very simple one.

this is a guide for star trek online, but the basics are the exact same. the tray commands are different, but if you first save a default bind file, once you open it up you can look at your existing binds to see what the command is to execute the Q skill, for example.

http://sto.gamepedia.com/GuideGDN_Keybinds
    Leader of Conviction: find me in game if you're looking for a friendly guild!

Looking for reviews (will trade)!
    Arachnophobia
    Code: NW-DMRQYIZQT
    For all the spider-haters out there :p
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    dioriel wrote: »
    You can make macros and keybinds that will do multiple actions, and/or keybind pretty much anything you want. For example, I have a key that drops me into stealth then uses lurker's assault...and that's a very simple one.

this is a guide for star trek online, but the basics are the exact same. the tray commands are different, but if you first save a default bind file, once you open it up you can look at your existing binds to see what the command is to execute the Q skill, for example.

http://sto.gamepedia.com/GuideGDN_Keybinds

Nice link - thanks for that!
  • Options
    kierlakxkierlakx Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    A simple one that I found by accident is holding shift and dragging a stack of items to an empty slot to split the stack.
  • Options
    xunxanxunxan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    kierlakx wrote: »
    A simple one that I found by accident is holding shift and dragging a stack of items to an empty slot to split the stack.
    Shift + Drag stack splits stack evenly in half.
    Ctrl + Drag stack lets you specify the amount to split off of main stack.
  • Options
    xenobiasxenobias Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I learned as I was going :

Lore comes from talking too. Make sure you talk to everyone in each wilderness, dungeon and skirmish. You never know who will give you some new lore.

Each wilderness has 3 scrying stones. This is a fun achievement to try to complete.

If you fuse your enchants save all your celestial coins till you have seven. The box you get with 7 coins can give a coal ward. If you do not fuse the 5 coin box is better value for you.

A good way to slow down your leveling is to not do any foundry quests: unfortunately.

If you are 60 but have pets under cap, summon them when ever you complete a profession and pray so they get the exp.

Always try to do your daily dungeon during a delve event for a double whammy.

Wait to pick up an item that will cause a roll until all the fighting is done-basic good manners and common sense.

If, right before you click on a profession node you say the magic word 'Mahakina' into your mic->when you click on node you get more items. (tease-not true)

Peace
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Wow.. Learned a few more things already! Did not know that about the scrying stones! Thanks!
  • Options
    nallifnallif Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    To see the frames per second the game displays in top right corner:

/showfps 1

To see FPS graph in bottom right corner:

/fpsgraph 1

Replace 1 with 0 to turn them off.
  • Options
    xenobiasxenobias Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    as far as pets go

Stone of allure-zen market purchase is currently the best pet for casters and clerics-it doesnt fight but shares its stats with you.

The cat-astral diamond purchase- is best for fighters-it also shares its stats with you -mainly crit.

Being that the cat costs almost 2 million ad-when the devs saw hundreds of them 30 days after public beta started-they knew the ah bug was severe. So that is why we have a Caturday Title and cloak. :p

Guilds: You need five people to start a guild but you don't need 5 to keep it going. 1 person will do.
  • Options
    zellexzellex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    How about this one... you can buy a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> companion and toss level 60 gear on it at level 1... you can add gems to the slots too but you have to add the gem in while the piece is in your inventory before you put it on the companion... OP lol
  • Options
    dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    xenobias wrote: »
    Being that the cat costs almost 2 million ad-when the devs saw hundreds of them 30 days after public beta started-they knew the ah bug was severe. So that is why we have a Caturday Title and cloak. :p

Small correction, almost 1 million AD. 980,000 to be exact.
  • Options
    zdrahonulzdrahonul Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    If you have a max level companion and want to powerlevel more, go do quests but use the max level companion to finish the quest. Then when you get back to quest giver for XP reward, summon the lesser companion before you take the reward. The XP will go to the new companion and it will go through levels like crazy. I powerleveled two companions from 1 to 15 in 3h and I was lazy.
  • Options
    cyberdoxcyberdox Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    zellex wrote: »
    How about this one... you can buy a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> companion and toss level 60 gear on it at level 1... you can add gems to the slots too but you have to add the gem in while the piece is in your inventory before you put it on the companion... OP lol

Can't remember where I read it, but it said that companions items are scaled down to its level, and its powers are scaled up if fighting enemies of your level but higher than itself.

but yes, the scaling isn't much of a change, and they are still OP at lower levels
  • Options
    angelxeyeangelxeye Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1
    edited July 2013
    If you find a treasure chest but the aim stays grey/white... back away it is a monster.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcREn5uP2r1CJbfhK-QPWbF2FuEGJ0Rojjiire3duVhXzA6qUcWkeQ
  • Options
    bolcien1bolcien1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    angelxeye wrote: »
    If you find a treasure chest but the aim stays grey/white... back away it is a monster.

Yeah they fixed the bug where if you were in combat near it, it would snap and snarl at the group. so you know it was a trap.
  • Options
    ontonanontonan Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Bump, because this thread is better than "OMG NW is dying!!!! Zombie Apocalypse!!"
  • Options
    flamexsoldierflamexsoldier Member Posts: 89
    edited July 2013
    Whaaaaaaat? You can just put new enchantments on without unbinding the old one? Mind=blown.
  • Options
    krahctkrahct Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    You can do more DPS as a GWF by shift sprint canceling the animations of your big hit
    "I never make mistakes, I once thought I did but I was wrong"
  • Options
    moerevolvermoerevolver Member Posts: 128 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    I set my field of view to /gfxsetdefaultfov 100, personal preference but I like it better than default 55. I use to play Aion and adapting to NW's close field of view was kinda hard. I think it's pretty useful for PVP(in Aion it's mandatory lol), with the default 55 you can't really see what's happening behind you. Pretty useful since you don't have to monitor the team's health bar or listen to sound to know what's happening behind you. Some people say 75 is the sweet spot, but you can change it from any range between 30~150 to best suit you.

Default is 55
    Range you can set it to is 30 ~ 150

Another one people don't quite know is holding left Ctrl while targeting something. It locks onto the target, which is pretty useful for things that try to dodge. Could be useful for clerics that's trying to lock on a party member that keeps jumping around xD
  • Options
    doublegibsdoublegibs Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    /bind (key) ++walk

Now you can strut in style. May need to blast Bee Gee's Stayin' Alive for full effect.
  • Options
    armenuaarmenua Member Posts: 108 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    I just found out that when you are not in combat, your pots have no cooldown. So excited to see that! So when Im out of combat, I use the lesser pots to bring my health up to full.

I also learned that enchantment stones in your warehouse show up when wanting to enchant your gear, just as if they were in your bag. With our limited space, nice to know those numerous ranks of stones can be kept there and still used.
  • Options
    krahctkrahct Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Your cosmetic gear still allows you maintain your fighting gear stats. Yes you can killz stuf in your dress or peasant garbs...or even Naked! I love tanking naked!
    "I never make mistakes, I once thought I did but I was wrong"
  • Options
    buckem420buckem420 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    angelxeye wrote: »

Also unlike a real chest you can walk through a mimic.
  • Options
    armenuaarmenua Member Posts: 108 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    I'd like to see this stickied. Be nice to see all the tips easily.
  • Options
    xunxanxunxan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    ontonan wrote: »
    ...Zombie Apocalypse!!"
    Walking Dead Marathon starting in a few minutes!!!
    Yeah!!!
  • Options
    wholyhandgrenadewholyhandgrenade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I set my field of view to /gfxsetdefaultfov 100, personal preference but I like it better than default 55. I use to play Aion and adapting to NW's close field of view was kinda hard. I think it's pretty useful for PVP(in Aion it's mandatory lol), with the default 55 you can't really see what's happening behind you. Pretty useful since you don't have to monitor the team's health bar or listen to sound to know what's happening behind you. Some people say 75 is the sweet spot, but you can change it from any range between 30~150 to best suit you.

Default is 55
    Range you can set it to is 30 ~ 150

Another one people don't quite know is holding left Ctrl while targeting something. It locks onto the target, which is pretty useful for things that try to dodge. Could be useful for clerics that's trying to lock on a party member that keeps jumping around xD

not useful for a cleric in that situation, trying to heal them the first time is difficult and you usually heal someone else instead which means if you do the lock you are likely to have locked onto someone else (if they run and jump around all the time then its fine to let them die)... it is also difficult for clerics to heal you if you stand on top of them, give them some space with nobody on your team between you and stop running circles around your cleric and you may be healed a lot more and a lot faster ... if you move around like that to avoid your opponents from locking on or catching you then you are also doing that to your cleric). As to the view, just use the wheel on your mouse to zoom it in or out, no need to contend with number settings.
  • Options
    tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    In D&D having sex with a treasure chest can still get you pregnant.

Source
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    No but holding left CTRL when targeting them does make you follow them... Really annoying when Left CTRL is your push to talk button....
  • Options
    lonnehartlonnehart Member Posts: 846 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    tang56 wrote: »
    In D&D having sex with a treasure chest can still get you pregnant.

Source

Um.... "Treasurephilia"?
    *sings* "I like Gammera! He's so neat!!! He is full of turtle meat!!!"

"Hah! You are doomed! You're only armed with that pathetic excuse for a musical instrument!!!" *the Savage Beast moments before Lonnehart the Bard used music to soothe him... then beat him to death with his Fat Lute*