test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

ArPen or Power?!

masu84masu84 Member Posts: 134 Bounty Hunter
edited July 2013 in The Thieves' Den
Hi,

i started a new TR (GF is boring and i dont have even a small chance in PvP vs well playing TRs (perma stealth or impossible to catch build ...)). While leveling my (still small) TR im loiking for the perfect lvl60 equipment.

But there is a question:

6250 Power
2250 Crit
700 ArPen

OR

5200 Power
2250 Crit
1750 ArPen

Which equipment would be better at all?!

6000+Power provides a HUGE damage bonus, +10% armor penetration is looking nice, but @GF 20+% ArPen should be available (at least!). What about ArPen on TR?! Or its all about the power and vorpal enchantments?!
No leaver penality in PvP!

And here is the reason:
ghostravyn wrote: »
If you want people to stay for the match end even when you're sitting on a 600-10 score and you've decided to be ***-hats and spawn-camp, you need to give them a reason. Punishing them is not the answer. That's just pouring salt-acid into an already bleeding wound.
Post edited by masu84 on

Comments

• pinkfontpinkfont Member Posts: 563 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    masu84 wrote: »
    Hi,

i started a new TR (GF is boring and i dont have even a small chance in PvP vs well playing TRs (perma stealth or impossible to catch build ...)). While leveling my (still small) TR im loiking for the perfect lvl60 equipment.

But there is a question:

6250 Power
    2250 Crit
    700 ArPen

OR

5200 Power
    2250 Crit
    1750 ArPen

6000+Power provides a HUGE damage bonus, +10% armor penetration is looking nice, but @GF 20+% ArPen should be available (at least!). What about ArPen on TR?! Or its all about the power and vorpal enchantments?!

It's a shame you just gave up playing GF without ever learning how to play it. They are really good in PvP.

As for your question, neither one has enough Armor Pen. I don't personally see the point in having all this power, but that's just me.
    A rich rogue nowadays is fit company for any gentleman; and the world, my dear, hath not such a contempt for roguery as you imagine. - John HAMSTER
  • damianessdamianess Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 283 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Hi,

But there is a question:

6250 Power
    2250 Crit
    700 ArPen

OR

5200 Power
    2250 Crit
    1750 ArPen

It's weird because I know TRs with very little arm pen do 15k+ lashing blades without LA being up. Anything past 4500 power with first strike class feature is going to hit hard regardless of arm pen. The hardest hitting rogue I've played against had 5200 power and 2100 arm pen. One impact shot from her hits takes 50% of my health.
  • masu84masu84 Member Posts: 134 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Im starting with TR because my GF is killed by good TRs. Even the best GF has no chance vs. Permastealth TR or high DPS TR using Smokebomb, impossible to catch and dazing strike. Normaly im rank#1 in PvP. 20+ Kills per Round are "normal". But then there are these few rounds with some special CWs or TRs which i cant kill. They kill mey all the time. Thats annoying because i cant do anything against their tactics. i tried many things but if they know that im in lunging strike range, they go stealth or they dodge my lunging. Just running after the CWs sucks hard while beeing pushed back by Repel or CCed by entangle. And DPS TR ... stealth->throwing daggers->impossible to catch->melee->smokebomb->melee->dazing strike->gg.

This way my 12500GS GF (no tenebrous, i hate these enchantements!) is used to farm some AD to get a good lvl60 equipment for my TR.

Ontopic:

well, 6k power, 2k crit, <1k arpen by using two sets which are offering +Power and enchantments with +power.

Another possible setup without any sets:

3350power
    2100crit
    1600arpen

+1050 Power OR ArPen

all on ArPen:
    3350power
    2100 crit
    2650 arpen

If im able to reduce enemies armor very close to 0 (or even lower) much power is really nice. but im not able to get high power and high arpen. Thats why im looking for the correct balancing. As a GF you need something around 25% ArPen. 6-9% ArPen are given by dex for normal GF builds.

And here is the reason:
    If you want people to stay for the match end even when you're sitting on a 600-10 score and you've decided to be ***-hats and spawn-camp, you need to give them a reason. Punishing them is not the answer. That's just pouring salt-acid into an already bleeding wound.
  • uriziemuriziem Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 69
    edited July 2013
    armor pen is the best way, 22/26% armor penetration is a must for a serious TR
    Uriziel TR lev 60 Gear Rating 12400
    Uriziel GF Gear Rating 14800
    David Grave CW 10500 Gear Rating 6000 recovery(kripparian build)
    Uriziem Monk Completionist 28 past life , DDO player since March 2006 (2006-2009 on Devourer server, 2009-2012 on Cannith server)
    ex officer and founder of Ordo Draconis, DDO Italian Elite Guild, now on NEVERWINTER
    large.png
    picture sharing
  • masu84masu84 Member Posts: 134 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Well i love examples :D

2500Power = +100% weapon damage (i’d read somewhere something like this).***
    5000Power =300% weapon damage at all (100% Base damage +200% damage)
    +1250 Power (better to calculate than 1000) = 350% weapon damage
    +50% damage by a “base“ damage of 300% -> +16% Damage
    +1250 ArPen = 10% Armor penetration -> +10% Damage

If the damage bonus of power is correct, 10% ArPen will be always less effective until you reach 500% base damage, which will be somewhere around 10 000 power.

But well, the main problem is the power and its effects. If there is now power softcap and the power is not getting less effective, everyone should just improve the power instead of ArPen :p
    Does anyone know anything about the damage calculation depending to the power?

And here is the reason:
  • gabryelgabryel Member Posts: 542 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013

I think your calculation is off as the .04 power coefficient used in the Freehug9's explanation is not a constant. They even state that the coefficient varies for different powers. The only constant being that most powers scale linearly with your power rating.

The flaw in using power to determine "weapon" damage is that there is no default base "weapon damage" attack. All attacks are from powers/skills that have their own base values, and use varying coefficients to add a percentage of your weapon damage as a variable in its damage formula. I would go so far as to suggest they just remove damage from weapon descriptions and just roll those values into a +power rating on the item. That would be much less misleading.

As such, there is no guarantee that a power investment of +10% damage on one skill will be +10% damage on all your other skills. Where as -10% damage resistance equates to a +10% bonus damage across all damage you inflict. Of course the danger here is that your ArP stat only applies if the enemy has % resistance for it to reduce. Therefor you don't want to over-stack the stat to the point of having excessive ArP.
  • fimcontefimconte Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Well i love examples :D

2500Power = +100% weapon damage (i’d read somewhere something like this).***
    5000Power =300% weapon damage at all (100% Base damage +200% damage)
    +1250 Power (better to calculate than 1000) = 350% weapon damage
    +50% damage by a “base“ damage of 300% -> +16% Damage
    +1250 ArPen = 10% Armor penetration -> +10% Damage

If the damage bonus of power is correct, 10% ArPen will be always less effective until you reach 500% base damage, which will be somewhere around 10 000 power.

But well, the main problem is the power and its effects. If there is now power softcap and the power is not getting less effective, everyone should just improve the power instead of ArPen :p
    Does anyone know anything about the damage calculation depending to the power?

This math is all incorrect.

~25 Power = 1 Damage.

Some encounters scale differently, Wicked Reminder gets 3 damage per 25 power, Lashing Blade gets 2 damage per 25 power, etc.

Armor Pen isn't actually as steep as 125 per 1%, as ~2520 = 24%.

But even if it was, 125 ArP = +1% damage, 125 Power = 5 damage.

Assuming 1.2k damage per strike (~avg Duelist Flurry), that means ArP would add 12 damage, while Power would add 5 damage.

Granted, on Wicked Reminder, that would be 12 damage vs 15 damage and on Lashing Blade, it would be 12 damage vs 10 damage, but the majority of our DPS in PVE still comes from Duelist Flurry (~60-70% of total damage).

This is why, unless Duelist Flurry gets a higher power modifier (1.5-2x would push ArP out of the picture), ArP remains the best stat.
    Fans Glory to the Gladiators,
    Gods Glory to the Heroes.

TR:Anirul Corrino@Fimconte
    GF:Irulan Corrino@Fimconte
  • teng3nteng3n Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    damianess wrote: »
    It's weird because I know TRs with very little arm pen do 15k+ lashing blades without LA being up. Anything past 4500 power with first strike class feature is going to hit hard regardless of arm pen. The hardest hitting rogue I've played against had 5200 power and 2100 arm pen. One impact shot from her hits takes 50% of my health.

That's all fine when fighting a CW or TR with sub 20% resistance.

Enjoy your fight with a GwF and GF like that.

I personally try to aim for 2.6k ArmPen.
  • pinkfontpinkfont Member Posts: 563 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Im starting with TR because my GF is killed by good TRs. Even the best GF has no chance vs. Permastealth TR or high DPS TR using Smokebomb, impossible to catch and dazing strike.

It's fine that you want to play a TR. But stop being silly.

You just aren't committed enough to learn how to excel at GF.
    A rich rogue nowadays is fit company for any gentleman; and the world, my dear, hath not such a contempt for roguery as you imagine. - John HAMSTER
  • lichlamentlichlament Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    damianess wrote: »

/blush

sounds like my stats :)
  • s3z3s3z3 Member Posts: 216 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Rly? GF is weak? Son a good Gf vs a good TR, GF will humiliate TR 10\10 and then some. U just suck and when u get ut TR to 60 u will whine about it being weak(and it is cause most morons play TR like GWF). Commit to GF(Stal\Full con build\6 GTE) and go **** pugs.
    Carnage TR Dragon shard - retired? hell yea it's retired along with Nevewinter

Seze - Rogue - Necropolis - <3 RIFT
  • healhamstahealhamsta Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 572 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    GF is currently the top for PvP.
    You'll likely has significantly more trouble playing the TR than a GF.
    Delve loot murdered my TR, DC, & GWF. Nerf Plox:
    I know that it sucks to no longer get gear to sell from the Dungeon Delve chest but it was truly overpowered.
  • vdinh037vdinh037 Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Anyways back to the topic.
    Get Armor Pen. ASAP to 2200 as it is the best stats for a TR.
    Top priority.
  • lichlamentlichlament Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    vdinh037 wrote: »
    Anyways back to the topic.
    Get Armor Pen. ASAP to 2200 as it is the best stats for a TR.
    Top priority.

this is just an opinion.
    Just as mine is... I have not seen any major difference by stacking Power or Stacking Armor Pen....

The only thing I can possibly suggest is keep your power over 4500 to be safe, Crit at 2800 or above and Armor Pen around 1500 and up and you will be a woodchipper to everyone on the field ( if you play right of course... )
  • chipsterchipster Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 128 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    healhamsta wrote: »
    GF is currently the top for PvP.
    You'll likely has significantly more trouble playing the TR than a GF.

Are you kidding? TR top the chart with their high DPS (25k++ lashing blade). TR can take down a GF in seconds.
  • webbotwebbot Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    chipster wrote: »
    Are you kidding? TR top the chart with their high DPS (25k++ lashing blade). TR can take down a GF in seconds.

and..... then you woke up
  • jimdenjimden Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Without the exact #s in front me my TR is trying to balance the three.

Power 1500
    Crit 1700
    ArmPen 1300

Im trying for about 2000 for the three by L 60

ArmPen items are harder to come by and don't have the #s of Power or Crit.

Most items uncommon, a few rare. Looking forward to the purple items when I get to them.

ATM gear score 5200/L 56
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • anothersorrowanothersorrow Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 171 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    chipster wrote: »

i loled at it.obviously you havent play tr before.also tr need skills to play
  • anothersorrowanothersorrow Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 171 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    lichlament wrote: »
    this is just an opinion.
    Just as mine is... I have not seen any major difference by stacking Power or Stacking Armor Pen....

The only thing I can possibly suggest is keep your power over 4500 to be safe, Crit at 2800 or above and Armor Pen around 1500 and up and you will be a woodchipper to everyone on the field ( if you play right of course... )

Hmmm it depends on the playstyle.Arm pen is better for cos and sly flurish but power is better procing for encounters especially lb and impact shot.So imo power build is more pug style though sustain dmg is the way to go for a competitive guild vs guild build
  • chipsterchipster Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 128 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    i loled at it.obviously you havent play tr before.also tr need skills to play
    FYI, I had a 60 TR & 60 GF. Obviously, you don't know how to play TR.
  • fimcontefimconte Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Hmmm it depends on the playstyle.Arm pen is better for cos and sly flurish but power is better procing for encounters especially lb and impact shot.So imo power build is more pug style though sustain dmg is the way to go for a competitive guild vs guild build
    ArP > Power until "cap" (15% softcap vs no-def TRs in PvP, higher vs other classes).

See math here:
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?295232-Banelorne-s-Stealth-Based-Executioner-TR-Build&p=4924491#post4924491
    Fans Glory to the Gladiators,
    Gods Glory to the Heroes.

TR:Anirul Corrino@Fimconte
    GF:Irulan Corrino@Fimconte