test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Two reviews for one Sunday!

belberkbelberk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 81
edited July 2013 in The Foundry
I would like to trade reviews for my second attempt at the Foundry.

This quest (An Unlikely Hero NW-DCFZNQZLR) is the first part of a three part campaign. I’m not that great at storytelling and D&D lore can stump me sometimes, but I’m pretty happy with this quest, as it is also my first attempt at storytelling and lore.

The quest is a bit long 40-55 minutes (solo), but it doesn’t feel that long (IMO). If you have the time I would greatly appreciate an honest review. My wife and I will be playing most of the day on Sunday and will review as many quests as we can in return for your review.

I have tested the quest with every class and was able to complete it with no deaths and few potions. My level 17 TR/DC made it through in 41 minutes and only used 2 potions.

The following is a list of reviews I have done up to this point and I will list all reviews pending and reviewed in this thread.

Quests to be Reviewed

Quests Reviewed

meysa - NW-DEH6FU5KB - 5/5 stars (1 review)
data314159 - NW-DMXDXKQGD - 5/5 stars (1 review)
katah1969 - NW-DNRBBXZK3 - 4/5 stars (2 reviews)
rdxcyclo - NW-DEZSTNUT7 - 4/5 stars (1 review)
xhrit - NW-DADOERMFX - 4/5 stars (2 reviews)
havocl - NWS-DB3HIQPRH - 5/5 stars (2 reviews)
lostcharta - NW-DPXB42EEH - 5/5 stars (2 reviews)
bostish - NW-DAITVBJAX - 4/5 stars (1 review)
oortexploer - NW-DJ5BFT52F - 5/5 stars (1 review)
anrix2 -NW-DKYGGYPUE - 5/5 stars (1 review)
zuviele - NW-DHWDQZ9YD - 5/5 stars (1 review)
pavvo - NW-DRKKGUI26 - 4/5 stars (1 review)
lisaxreinke - NW-DBLLB920C - 3/5 stars (1 review)
vaelic - NW-DQ3H4MXKG - 4/5 stars (1 review)
sourcreamking - NW-DEV9KF4R7 - 5/5 stars (1 review)
caustic8 - NW-DA8O42CFF - 4/5 stars (1 review)
ohforfssake - NW-DB4ZMOH4K - 3/5 stars (1 review)
voivodak - NW-DNUZSYEEY - 4/5 stars (1 review)
ravenspire1 - NW-DA3XAVZ9W - 4/5 stars (2 reviews)
labmouse42 - NW-DJHHV5CGY - 4/5 stars (2 reviews)
maerwin - NW-DMFGWPBN3 - 5/5 stars (2 reviews)
veratio - NW-DQUECIOMN - 4/5 stars (2 reviews)
tyrinum - NW-DTWAGIPZH - 5/5 stars (2 reviews)
avatre21 - NW-DB19TTKY5 - 4/5 stars (1 review 2 ratings)
mee2002 - NW-DPTTECLTF - 4/5 stars (2 reviews)
shorlong - NW-DCDYEUTBV - 4/5 stars (2 reviews)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quests:
The Eternal Light NW-DO335J3SZ D.F.E.
Revenge Of The Companions NW-DMHJNCEY5

Campaign:
The Light In The Darkness NWS-DJIAO4D3J
An Unlikely Hero NW-DCFZNQZLR D.F.E.
The Puppet Master NW-DM8BI99QJ D.F.E.
Post edited by belberk on

Comments

• Options
    avatre21avatre21 Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Really nice work on this one, reviewed in game, just to share the notes I jotted down as I played here:
    • I like the Inn - very crowded and well done with placing and the emotes.
    • Jarret Conversation: Furture = future.
    • "My" Heroic adventurer. Is that right?
    • '-An wicked smile' - A wicked smile.
    • I did think this conversation could have used more depth. Perhaps revealing his insanity more while also going into the detail about where you are and what the bet is about. Maybe even tie in with the old prison drama's "Everyone's innocent here" etc?
    • Gerald conversation: "'You're awake... Oh Goddie" = Goodie?
    • The riddle trap disables were a really nice touch. (I assume they disabled the traps? I didn't get any right ;))
    • Really enjoyed the cave, destroying the crates and supply line is good and a nice break up of the combat.
    • The magic path bridge is very well done, that must have taken a while to line up right!
    • The woods are the markers are well done. I did begin to think "too much fighting" on that bit but then it ended so i'd say just the right amount. The skeletons after the trolls actually made me jump lol, didn't see them at all.
    • The Dwarven bridge is brilliant.
    • Final conversation with Valham - "'every dwraf" - Dwarf.
    • I did feel like it would be a better place to end after speaking to the Dwarf Lord the first time, leaving the riots etc to the beginning of the next. I understand why you didn't though.

Overall, really enjoyable quest that has me looking forward to the next.

I'd appreciate it if you could take a look at my "Not so Lonely Dagger" (NW-DB19TTKY5) if you get the chance. Thanks for sharing :)
    The Lonely Dagger Saga:
    The Lonely Dagger Inn
    NW-DHMMZR6BJ
    The Not so Lonely Dagger
    NW-DB19TTKY5

The Beginning of the End:
    Once Bitten
    NW-DUPFPJNSW
  • Options
    mee2002mee2002 Member Posts: 100 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Wow, that was longer than I expected, but very well done. Some errors, just to get them out of the way:
    - I can't remember who, but early on someone says "It isn't rally complex",
    - The Dwarf king guy has an "Iron thrown", should be throne.
    - There appears to be an invisible cell near the dancing goblin at the beginning. Says press F to interact but nothing is there.
    - The brazier you light at the end of the sewer has default name Brazier Ground 01
    - The dancing Dwarf in the King's room has default name
    - There were a couple instances of "Press F to go to next map/interact". Sorry, didn't put down exactly where. I think one was leaving the sewers.

As to the quest itself, it was good. It flirted with formulaic at times (Kill X of these, go to the next area. Kill X of these now..) but had some nice change ups too. Areas looked really nice. All the NPCs really helped make it look alive. Story wise the beginning is definitely the weak point. It's clear it exists solely to move you from point A to point B, and does so rather hastily (though I did like the 'check the warrant' part). Encounters seemed pretty solid. Not too hard, but challenging at parts.

One last note, I'm guessing you copy/pasted the prison cell from the opening to make the Dwarf prison wings. There are 2 openable cells in each, but nothing in them. Might want to take them out, or add something to see in them.
    NW-DPTTECLTF - Cindy Jones and the Holy Stein. A simple but hopefully entertaining foray into the world of Foundry.
  • Options
    shorlongshorlong Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 286 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I will try this in a few minutes. My quest is in my signature!
    My quest was deleted in July of 2013. There were no issues, it had not violated any rules. Was deemed a bug. That quest is still missing.

RIP - Dirty Politics May 21st, 2013 - July 30th, 2013
  • Options
    ash4llash4ll Member Posts: 231 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I don't know, perhaps you'd like to review quests in unified thread? I started one quite a while ago, here is the link. I thought that way people have the feeling that their quest is going to get reviewed. If you'd like, you can join anytime. Yust read the rules and faq in the first post.
    Review trades - Need to trade review? Read first post for further info.
    Siegebreaker - NW-DGDPWV2U5 - story about the ambush, escape and great rescue of the city.
    I'm a streamer and I know it!
  • Options
    belberkbelberk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 81
    edited June 2013
    avatre21 wrote: »
    Really nice work on this one, reviewed in game, just to share the notes I jotted down as I played here:
    • I like the Inn - very crowded and well done with placing and the emotes.
    • Jarret Conversation: Furture = future.
    • "My" Heroic adventurer. Is that right?
    • '-An wicked smile' - A wicked smile.
    • I did think this conversation could have used more depth. Perhaps revealing his insanity more while also going into the detail about where you are and what the bet is about. Maybe even tie in with the old prison drama's "Everyone's innocent here" etc?
    • Gerald conversation: "'You're awake... Oh Goddie" = Goodie?
    • The riddle trap disables were a really nice touch. (I assume they disabled the traps? I didn't get any right ;))
    • Really enjoyed the cave, destroying the crates and supply line is good and a nice break up of the combat.
    • The magic path bridge is very well done, that must have taken a while to line up right!
    • The woods are the markers are well done. I did begin to think "too much fighting" on that bit but then it ended so i'd say just the right amount. The skeletons after the trolls actually made me jump lol, didn't see them at all.
    • The Dwarven bridge is brilliant.
    • Final conversation with Valham - "'every dwraf" - Dwarf.
    • I did feel like it would be a better place to end after speaking to the Dwarf Lord the first time, leaving the riots etc to the beginning of the next. I understand why you didn't though.

Overall, really enjoyable quest that has me looking forward to the next.

I'd appreciate it if you could take a look at my "Not so Lonely Dagger" (NW-DB19TTKY5) if you get the chance. Thanks for sharing :)

Thank you for the review. I will fix the issue later tonight.

I played and reviewed your quest. My wife rated it but didn't review it (sorry about that).

I like your approach with the narrative story telling. You seem to have a natural talent for writing. I read through all of the optional story segments and enjoyed them.

I only noticed one omitted word. When talking to the first dwarf in the forest, he says "...now you're going down." - should it be - "...now that you're going down."?

I loved the idea of building the barricade, but, if I can suggest, maybe make each step a separate action. You have them linked and it kind of threw me off for a moment.

All in all a very nice quest with a strong story. Nice job. If we have time later we'll run the first part.

BTW the wife and I both dinged level 60 in your quest :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quests:

Campaign:
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    mee2002 wrote: »
    Wow, that was longer than I expected, but very well done. Some errors, just to get them out of the way:
    - I can't remember who, but early on someone says "It isn't rally complex",
    - The Dwarf king guy has an "Iron thrown", should be throne.
    - There appears to be an invisible cell near the dancing goblin at the beginning. Says press F to interact but nothing is there.
    - The brazier you light at the end of the sewer has default name Brazier Ground 01
    - The dancing Dwarf in the King's room has default name
    - There were a couple instances of "Press F to go to next map/interact". Sorry, didn't put down exactly where. I think one was leaving the sewers.

As to the quest itself, it was good. It flirted with formulaic at times (Kill X of these, go to the next area. Kill X of these now..) but had some nice change ups too. Areas looked really nice. All the NPCs really helped make it look alive. Story wise the beginning is definitely the weak point. It's clear it exists solely to move you from point A to point B, and does so rather hastily (though I did like the 'check the warrant' part). Encounters seemed pretty solid. Not too hard, but challenging at parts.

One last note, I'm guessing you copy/pasted the prison cell from the opening to make the Dwarf prison wings. There are 2 openable cells in each, but nothing in them. Might want to take them out, or add something to see in them.

Thank you for reviewing my quest. I will fix the issues you noted later this evening and re-publish.

My wife and I ran and reviewed your quest. She likes the cute and funny quests and enjoyed this one. She loved the opening conversation. I have my limits on cute and funny, but this quest had just the right amount and kept me smiling throughout.

One issue you may want to address is the initial spawn point in the caves. Unless you designed it that way, you spawn nearly in the middle of the map. Other than that, everything was balanced (lvl 60 easy).

I will add this quest to my rotation once it becomes daily foundry eligible. Nice job.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quests:

Campaign:
  • Options
    shorlongshorlong Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 286 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Real quick observations.

- The story was well laid out, but quite a lot is going on. It may benefit you and your players both to split this in two. It would allow a breather, and help the story flow better.
    - While hte layouts where nice, the detail was lacking. The first two rooms in the dwarven area were so well done, but not as much attention was put into the rest of the quest. Even little details, custom lighting, all of those can really help a quest come to life.
    - At some points, the fighting became quite tedious.Specifically, the woods and the cell blocks.

Those are my main things. I think if you put some more attention to the detail, get the areas REALLY fleshed out, it will help you out immensely!
    My quest was deleted in July of 2013. There were no issues, it had not violated any rules. Was deemed a bug. That quest is still missing.

RIP - Dirty Politics May 21st, 2013 - July 30th, 2013
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    shorlong wrote: »
    Real quick observations.

- The story was well laid out, but quite a lot is going on. It may benefit you and your players both to split this in two. It would allow a breather, and help the story flow better.
    - While hte layouts where nice, the detail was lacking. The first two rooms in the dwarven area were so well done, but not as much attention was put into the rest of the quest. Even little details, custom lighting, all of those can really help a quest come to life.
    - At some points, the fighting became quite tedious.Specifically, the woods and the cell blocks.

Those are my main things. I think if you put some more attention to the detail, get the areas REALLY fleshed out, it will help you out immensely!

Thank you for running my quest. Unfortunately most of the work put into my maps will never been seen. I have the barracks and stables detailed but if you don't explore you won't see them. I also had my brewery nicely done, but again, it is an exploration thing. I'll work on some more ideas for detail.

My wife and I ran your quest and if I were solely basing the rating on design and layout, it would've been 5 stars easily. The only issues I had with the quest was the multitude of conversations and most of your main (mini-boss/boss) fights were a bit tough. even with 3 DC's (my wife and two DC companions) We both had to burn through stones and a bunch of pots to make it through. It may be because of our level, but you may want to test it at level 60.

The only thing I noticed that was wrong (assuming it was unintentional) was when returning with Aruken, his original version is standing by the hall leading to Lord Albert. (two Arukens?) Other than that, good story and nice flow.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quests:

Campaign:
  • Options
    docsc00terdocsc00ter Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Just finished your quest and provided a nice in-game review. Some thoughts I jotted down while playing:

• The NPC names were amusing. "Private Parts?" Ha ha ha!
    • It's obvious that you spent some time working on the visual details of the environment. Thank you.
    • I liked the fiery bridge and the atmosphere of Stonecrusher's Hall. I wonder if there might be a better way to visually portray that impossibly long, high outdoor staircase, though... something that shows its support structure.
    • The chapel battle was pretty tough for a well-geared Level 60 Cleric. And the battle in the rafters was even tougher. (I actually died once, which is rare for me.)
    • There was a bit of old-school MMO questing going on: "Go kill so many of these, then go kill so many more of these, then click on each of these gems which will spawn so many of these..." That wouldn't be so bad, except they weren't all "easy" level encounters, so it took more time to wade through them all.
    • The final battle felt epic. Nicely done.