test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

I really enjoy the add-focused boss fights

kobrakai2kobrakai2 Member Posts: 147 Bounty Hunter
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
As a control wizard there is nothing more satisfying than gathering up all the adds that are overwhelming my team and throwing them to their deaths. The skill it takes to avoid attacks from dozens of adds as they try to stop the inevitable, the right positioning and timing for the big push, and all while making sure I can restore enough action points to do it again.

It really brings people together as a team instead of everybody simply attacking the boss. That's why I really enjoy this game, probably more so than any other MMO I have played.

Anyone agree?
Post edited by kobrakai2 on

Comments

• Options
    nikitaoznikitaoz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 149 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Get ready to be flamed.

On a side note.
    It is good to have adds here and there but not on all boss fights.
    There should be some balance.
  • Options
    ganjaman1ganjaman1 Member Posts: 792 Arc User
    edited June 2013
  • Options
    yesbrasilyesyesbrasilyes Member Posts: 39
    edited June 2013
    how does 1 CW throwing adds repeatedly while 4 other ppl afk dps boss bring people together?

also you greatly elaborate the use of skill involved in pressing singularity then pressing shield

I personally would have liked to see boss fights with less adds that you actually had to kill, maybe even in a specific order.

emphasis on would have, because I already gave up on this game when I reached BiS with nothing to do on 2 chars

side note was playing the ffxiv beta and it was pretty awesome, one of the lvl 15 dungeons had this mechanic on a boss where there were pools that would bubble and u had to have a couple people run around and click them or an add would spawn.

another boss that would break down a wall and spawn an add, which would run to another wall and try to break down to spawn another add, so you had to focus fire the adds fast or they would eventually be coming so fast you get over-run.

in case any devs are reading this, im throwing you a bone here, while ffxiv is a far superior game with a far superior budget, dont get mad, get creative and steal some of their ideas.
  • Options
    daethxdaethx Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I too love being forced to take two abilities to cheap out on the bosses and any encounters near a ledge. It really highlights the fun combat in this game by making everything able to be killed with a simple push off the ledge. I also really love that two control wizards > any other group setup. I think they should replace all attacks with an animation of pushing someone off a ledge, to focus on this great part of combat.

In case you haven't noticed the sarcasm, no. The ledge throwing in this game is lame. As a result of the mob zergs and cheap ledge throws, the dungeons are as boring as hell. Tone back the adds, make some better scripts and relaunch the dungeons.
  • Options
    daethxdaethx Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    how does 1 CW throwing adds repeatedly while 4 other ppl afk dps boss bring people together?

also you greatly elaborate the use of skill involved in pressing singularity then pressing shield

I personally would have liked to see boss fights with less adds that you actually had to kill, maybe even in a specific order.

emphasis on would have, because I already gave up on this game when I reached BiS with nothing to do on 2 chars

side note was playing the ffxiv beta and it was pretty awesome, one of the lvl 15 dungeons had this mechanic on a boss where there were pools that would bubble and u had to have a couple people run around and click them or an add would spawn.

another boss that would break down a wall and spawn an add, which would run to another wall and try to break down to spawn another add, so you had to focus fire the adds fast or they would eventually be coming so fast you get over-run.

in case any devs are reading this, im throwing you a bone here, while ffxiv is a far superior game with a far superior budget, dont get mad, get creative and steal some of their ideas.

Yeah, stuff like this would be much more interesting.

I remember the dungeons in EQ2 fondly, there were some great scripts in that. Having to interrupt certain abilities, getting curses and having to run into certain devices for the cure, having to use items at the right time to prevent the bosses healing themselves.

I cant remember a single strategy for any boss in this game, because there is none. Its always the same add zerg.
  • Options
    abombination247abombination247 Member Posts: 1,279 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    PvE is terrible in this game. Every dungeon is bad and unenjoyable. So I don't do them. Some day they will have real boss fights and fix there dungeons where they are completed as they are supposed to be.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    nikitaoz wrote: »
    Get ready to be flamed..

I was expecting it. I'm completely aware of the amount of hate there is for the fights as they stand, I just wanted to point out that not everybody feels this way.
  • Options
    fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Because otherwise in this game it would be 5 "other ppl afk dps boss".

You also greatly simplify the current skills required. For example,

1. you need a way to aggro and move adds which often means having a GF or GWF in harder content now that Cleric aggro is "fixed".
    2. control adds long enough while collected to not kill the group (especially the healer), for AP and for positioning
    3. position adds to prepare for a push or for aoe kill
    4. place your Singularity at a good or pefect spot and fire up your Shield (if you do this the other way you'll probably die or mess up).
    5. find the correct distance and angle to not miss, while probably avoiding either add aoe or boss aoe at your feet as you do it
    6. pop your Shield with precise timing to not miss
    7. collect and control any adds that were missed (Singularity has a max limit)
    8. all the while you are keeping up debuffs on the boss or using other skills to gain back as much AP as possible.
    9. all the while the healer has been focussing on 3 different parties, the boss killers, the aggro and control ferriers, the CW(s) or GWFs doing the final pushes or kills. Almost certainly requiring a burst heal at some point in those phases.
    10. all the while, the dps on the boss have had the "luxury" of only avoiding super slow boss attacks and therefore able to maximise single target damage.

What about when there are 2 CW? Depending on the type of fight, if they work together, e.g. alternating Shields, stacking Repels or stacking Shield+Repel, this will often make the fight much easier for everyone but it requires both to have almost flawless skills and even more skill working together.

If it were easy, everyone would be able to do it. From my little experience with only two endgame, Ancient-geared, CN-experienced, alts, that would appear far from the case...

Also, note how everyone, i.e. every class, is doing the same thing because its the same content.

So, yeah, this game needs a lot more diversity in content type. This in turn would naturally require different skill sets.

But, tbh, there is already a fair bit of key learning content that is being missed by many players who just skip all the T1 dungeons at 60 by buying gear from AH. These do offer more diversity and they force a rapid improvement in skill. In addition, exploits in dungeons get around some types of content. So, problems with content are being artificially exaggerrated at 60.

To OP: yes, I enjoy it. At least, on my CW, I do. On my post-patch healbot DC, not so much.
  • Options
    pednickpednick Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    What this OP isn't telling you is that what she/he/it really likes is that others don't have the gear it has because of this BS but hey you know what, sooner or later they will, you OP are again one of the ones that my sig is for.
    kobrakai2 wrote: »
    As a control wizard there is nothing more satisfying than gathering up all the adds that are overwhelming my team and throwing them to their deaths. The skill it takes to avoid attacks from dozens of adds as they try to stop the inevitable, the right positioning and timing for the big push, and all while making sure I can restore enough action points to do it again.

It really brings people together as a team instead of everybody simply attacking the boss. That's why I really enjoy this game, probably more so than any other MMO I have played.

Anyone agree?
    Be a Leet D00D, can't think of something smart? Always blame the economy.
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It's also very enjoyable from the clerics standpoint. Gives me something to do instead of just watching the ground and hps. Without adds, my class could be renamed heal boat. I hope they keep adds on most bosses in this game.

Without adds, you don't even need a GWF by the way, and those poor guys really need something to do with their aoe dps. Different boss mechanics? Won't be fun unless you are a rogue or a GF. And if all you want is 1 boss and its 20 tentacles instead of 1 boss + 20 adds, the be it, but it's just for the look.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    pednick wrote: »
    What this OP isn't telling you is that what she/he/it really likes is that others don't have the gear it has because of this BS but hey you know what, sooner or later they will, you OP are again one of the ones that my sig is for.

I'm not sure that I understand what you are saying. What has any of what I said got to do with my gear, and anybody else gear? The people I play with have the same level of gear as myself... Your post is confusing.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    fondlez wrote: »
    this game needs a lot more diversity in content type. This in turn would naturally require different skill sets.

Frozen Heart is a good example of this as it requires a very different strategy. Normally this is more dependant on the GF kiting the ads while the CW focuses on the archers.
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Frozen Heart is a good example of this as it requires a very different strategy. Normally this is more dependant on the GF kiting the ads while the CW focuses on the archers.

And the new king dwarf dungeon. Adds there do sooo much dps that you really need a GF to tank all that <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> while the CW will just try to support the poor GF taking so much damage.
  • Options
    imsmithyimsmithy Member Posts: 1,378 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yeah its fun for a while then it becomes a huge chore , I'd prefer to have bosses with clever mechanics that you need to figure out instead of just huge waves of adds on every single boss.
    pednick wrote: »
    Errrm wot? lol
  • Options
    kwequakwequa Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Some are overwhelmed by EQ2. My defiler there has..what..48 skills now. This is supposed to be simpler. Some curses and cure spots would be nice.. Switches and such.. I like blow over the cliff idea but as way to do a couple boss fights only. Needs other stuff.. of course then the whines will start about how one mistake kills everyone after a 30 minute battle.:D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    chrono0812chrono0812 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 501 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I was expecting it. I'm completely aware of the amount of hate there is for the fights as they stand, I just wanted to point out that not everybody feels this way.

No, what you wanted to do and did was Troll people by creating a thread you knew would get hate from players. Everyone who's played this game seems to universally hate the P.v.e dungeon designs. Congratulations on creating a failed thread that offers Nothing informative to the game other then to troll people.
    Death_knight.jpg

Life is a dream for the wise, a game for the fool, a comedy for the rich, a tragedy for the poor.
    ~Sholom Aleichem
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Mindless Ads are never fun for me, Cryptic really should make Boss fights more dynamic instead of just zergfest tank and spanks, it's pretty apparent that this was done as a means to get the product out the door...hopefully they will refine this as times goes on.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    chrono0812 wrote: »
    No, what you wanted to do and did was Troll people by creating a thread you knew would get hate from players. Everyone who's played this game seems to universally hate the P.v.e dungeon designs. Congratulations on creating a failed thread that offers Nothing informative to the game other then to troll people.

Other people agreed with me if you actually read the thread.

Perhaps my intention was to write the OP in a way that attracted more attention (positive or negative) which means a greater chance that the developers will see another viewpoint for a change?