test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Has anybody found a fix for the unbearable UI lag when editing a quest?

theslydertheslyder Member Posts: 2 Arc User
edited June 2013 in The Foundry
Once things become more fleshed out the lag becomes unbearable. Every click takes 2-3 seconds before a menu pops up/goes away. It's making my mission extremely difficult to work through.

Please tell me there's some kind of magic file I can delete like the combat log situation. Or tell me there's a patch in the works that will fix the issue.
Post edited by theslyder on

Comments

• Options
    destinyknightdestinyknight Member Posts: 962 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I've encountered that problem after duplicating a map. Once I deleted the duplicated map. It was fine for me.
  • Options
    apocrs1980apocrs1980 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    This is why we have budgets, the more we pack in to our quests the more sluggish the editor becomes-there is no fix for this, I have noticed that sound nodes tend to bog down the editor the most, so I would suggest placing those last.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Cragsteep Crypt - BETA
    Ravenloft
    Look for@Apocrs1980 or visit the main page here or Ravenloft here
  • Options
    redneckroninredneckronin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    apocrs1980 wrote: »
    This is why we have budgets, the more we pack in to our quests the more sluggish the editor becomes-there is no fix for this, I have noticed that sound nodes tend to bog down the editor the most, so I would suggest placing those last.

I'm not at all sure its that simple.

On my "hidden valley" map I am using over 1300 pys of detail budget and get no lag whatsoever.

On my current project I am using around 700 and it lags like crazy.

As regards sound nodes, the current project has about 5 in total, 2 more than the "hidden valley" map.

All The Best
    Campaign: Call Of The Wild - Information, Links To Review Threads, Screenshots

Looking For Reviews For Your Foundry Quest?
    Drop By Scribe's Enclave & Meet Up With Volunteer Reviewers.
  • Options
    apocrs1980apocrs1980 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'm not at all sure its that simple.

On my "hidden valley" map I am using over 1300 pys of detail budget and get no lag whatsoever.

On my current project I am using around 700 and it lags like crazy.

As regards sound nodes, the current project has about 5 in total, 2 more than the "hidden valley" map.

All The Best

As soon as you get to around 4 to 5 maps over 1300 assets you will see the editor start to run like molasses gets worse when 4 sounds or so are placed in each map.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Cragsteep Crypt - BETA
    Ravenloft
    Look for@Apocrs1980 or visit the main page here or Ravenloft here
  • Options
    shorlongshorlong Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 286 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I have this issue too, but it happens on a brand new quest on a brand new map as well. Everything else in the game runs smooth, just the 2D editor for me.
    My quest was deleted in July of 2013. There were no issues, it had not violated any rules. Was deemed a bug. That quest is still missing.

RIP - Dirty Politics May 21st, 2013 - July 30th, 2013
  • Options
    zlainfurryzlainfurry Banned Users Posts: 163 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    2 maps in a quest, about 1000 assests in each map. 3 sound effects in one of them, 1 sound effect in the other, both lag like hell. =/
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    It definitely seems like an erratic issue. I can understand the burden, though. My quest has five maps at the moment. (One about 1500, the others closer to 100-200) Maybe one or two sounds on each. Nothing significant.

I'd love to be able to work on a map independently of the others so as to reduce the work load, then put them all together when I'm done.
  • Options
    lolsorhandlolsorhand Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 981 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I have a quest with about 5000-6000 details so far doesn't lag at all. (Mind, this one is not published and when a quest isn't published, they seem to lag ALOT less, if any at all.)
    I like turtles.

Brethren of the Five, Campaign. - Story focused
    The Dwarven Tale - Hack 'N Slash
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    lolsorhand wrote: »
    I have a quest with about 5000-6000 details so far doesn't lag at all. (Mind, this one is not published and when a quest isn't published, they seem to lag ALOT less, if any at all.)

I'm going to try unpublishing mine in the hopes that it alleviates the problem. I don't think I can finish it with this lag. Fingers crossed.

Edit:
    No such luck. Unfortunately. I'm wondering if it's associated with the fact that I duplicated a map a while back. Deleting it is no longer an option though, so I guess if that IS the cause I'm just stuck with it.

Edit 2:
    Just for the sake of posterity and information, I'm letting you guys know that I experimented by duplicating the quest and deleting each map one by one. Starting with the most budget-heavy. It improved the lag, and I took it further my creating a multitude of new maps, which slightly worsened it, but overall didn't affect it significantly. Once I started dropping hundreds of items onto a map, though, it changed things.

So what I learned here is that even though you're within budget, it can still have a drastic effect on the performance of the 2D editor. I guess I'm just going to have to deal with it if I want to finish. Either that or try to figure out some loophole to "suspend" the existence of some of my maps while I work on others.