test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

About PvP in MMORPGs

vold316vold316 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
This is absolutely unrelated to PvP balance in NW. I post this because I am tired of the cheap PvP of all the MMORPG, in general.

I am tired of the same PvP ecuation which is repeated in the most of MMORPGs, where:

GEAR >>> REFLEXES* >> BUILD = STRATEGY*.

*SKILL= STRATEGY & REFLEXES.

GEAR should not appear in the equation, that's for Dungeons where Players compete to have more DPS, HEAL, etc.

REFLEXES based PvP is for FPS games, shooters specially.

The perfect PvP for an MMORPG should be based on:

BUILD & STRATEGY >>> REFLEXES ; gear should not even appear on it, keep that for PvE.

Why? Because, there is no point on doing PvP to compare what gear is better or who has faster hands (in a non-FPS game).

Of course that PvP should not depend on the number of players involved (GW2 WvW = FACEPALM).

My favourite game for PvP: Neverwinter Nights 1 (regardless of some unbalances - in some servers it was almost perfect specially for team vs team).
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"The harder the game, the better."
Post edited by vold316 on

Comments

• Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Well, then you'd need a game that wasn't real time. As long as a person's actual responses matter in, well, real time, then reflexes will be a part of it.

As for gear - gear is part of the "carrot on a stick" mechanic which keeps people wanting to strive toward the next piece and it also offers a sense of progression. What would you suggest - people hang up their gear and have to fight in their skivvies? That any PvP system force a certain set of stats on players? What if you're geared for crits, but I'm more focused on recovery? To strip players of their gear is to strip away part of their build.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »
    Well, then you'd need a game that wasn't real time. As long as a person's actual responses matter in, well, real time, then reflexes will be a part of it.

As for gear - gear is part of the "carrot on a stick" mechanic which keeps people wanting to strive toward the next piece and it also offers a sense of progression. What would you suggest - people hang up their gear and have to fight in their skivvies? That any PvP system force a certain set of stats on players? What if you're geared for crits, but I'm more focused on recovery? To strip players of their gear is to strip away part of their build.

That's why I added Reflexes in the equation. Because it will always be a factor in games which are real time, but that's why I say that I prefer reflexes to be a most important factor for FPS games rather than RPGs.

I understand your point. The thing is that when I talk about gear is really "differences of gear" (I will have to put an example of this game - Enchantments).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    vold316 wrote: »
    That's why I added Reflexes in the equation. Because it will always be a factor in games which are real time, but that's why I say that I prefer reflexes to be a most important factor for FPS games rather than RPGs.

I understand your point. The thing is that when I talk about gear is really "differences of gear" (I will have to put an example of this game - Enchantments).

Well, taking your example of enchantments - the higher your stats get, the more and more of a numerical increase in them you need to show an appreciable benefit. Going from 20 to 40 by upgrading a R1 enchant w/ a R2 is more noticeable than going from 90 to 120 for a R4 - R5. What kind of actual increase does having, say, R7's vs R5's have?

The place where things start to really diverge is when you get a newly-reached 60 w/ green gear vs one whose all geared up w/ purples.

Perhaps what is needed is a sort of tiering system based upon gear score and play experience - a person who rarely PvPs maybe shouldn't be thrown in with people who focus on it. A person who has PvP'd once or twice should maybe be placed w/ others of similar experience. Of course, the option to go to the full PvP instance should remain, but something that would ease the inexperienced into PvP might be a good idea...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »
    Well, taking your example of enchantments - the higher your stats get, the more and more of a numerical increase in them you need to show an appreciable benefit. Going from 20 to 40 by upgrading a R1 enchant w/ a R2 is more noticeable than going from 90 to 120 for a R4 - R5. What kind of actual increase does having, say, R7's vs R5's have?

The place where things start to really diverge is when you get a newly-reached 60 w/ green gear vs one whose all geared up w/ purples.

Perhaps what is needed is a sort of tiering system based upon gear score and play experience - a person who rarely PvPs maybe shouldn't be thrown in with people who focus on it. A person who has PvP'd once or twice should maybe be placed w/ others of similar experience. Of course, the option to go to the full PvP instance should remain, but something that would ease the inexperienced into PvP might be a good idea...

That's not my point. I am saying that I enjoy a PvP where you compare how you built your character through leveling (abilities, feats, spells), and strategy; rather than a comparison of who has better equipment; this is a personal opinion.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    chrono0812chrono0812 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 501 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Player vs player should have a normalization function built into it. Skill should be the defining factor in judging the outcome of a match not gear. Gear should be strictly for cosmetic purposes, to give players something to strive for, but not the defining factor in the end outcome of a match. A bracket needs to be put in place to separate players based on what rank they are or where they place on a ladder system.

The whole argument about (if you remove gear from the equation players won't want to do it) is an outdated way of thinking. If a system was created awarding players cosmetic gear, gear that was unique which separates their character from the way other players looked, I would imagine that would encourage people to play. The design of the gear could change based on where you've placed on the player vs player ladder or by some other defining factor.

Of course this is only my opinion and I openly welcome opinions from other players on the subject.
    Death_knight.jpg

Life is a dream for the wise, a game for the fool, a comedy for the rich, a tragedy for the poor.
    ~Sholom Aleichem
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    chrono0812 wrote: »
    Player vs player should have a normalization function built into it. Skill should be the defining factor in judging the outcome of a match not gear. Gear should be strictly for cosmetic purposes, to give players something to strive for, but not the defining factor in the end outcome of a match. A bracket needs to be put in place to separate players based on what rank they are or where they place on a ladder system.

The whole argument about (if you remove gear from the equation players won't want to do it) is an outdated way of thinking. If a system was created awarding players cosmetic gear, gear that was unique which separates their character from the way other players looked, I would imagine that would encourage people to play. The design of the gear could change based on where you've placed on the player vs player ladder or by some other defining factor.

Of course this is only my opinion and I openly welcome opinions from other players on the subject.

Yeah, I agree; although, from my point of view, build and strategy should be the most important things in PvP. You say Skill, and I partly agree with that; because skill for me means reflexes and strategy, and the reflexes should not be as important as the build and strategy in a RP game.
    Another thing that attracts players to PvP is character build custimization, specially where PvP is closer to rock, paper, scissors.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    yushirokaneyushirokane Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    vold316 wrote: »
    This is absolutely unrelated to PvP balance in NW. I post this because I am tired of the cheap PvP of all the MMORPG, in general.

I am tired of the same PvP ecuation which is repeated in the most of MMORPGs, where:

GEAR >>> REFLEXES* >> BUILD = STRATEGY*.

*SKILL= STRATEGY & REFLEXES.

GEAR should not appear in the equation, that's for Dungeons where Players compete to have more DPS, HEAL, etc.

REFLEXES based PvP is for FPS games, shooters specially.

The perfect PvP for an MMORPG should be based on:

BUILD & STRATEGY >>> REFLEXES ; gear should not even appear on it, keep that for PvE.

Why? Because, there is no point on doing PvP to compare what gear is better or who has faster hands (in a non-FPS game).

Of course that PvP should not depend on the number of players involved (GW2 WvW = FACEPALM).

My favourite game for PvP: Neverwinter Nights 1 (regardless of some unbalances - in some servers it was almost perfect specially for team vs team).

Go play GW2 then, some of us lie to grind gear for pvp, well apparently mostly of us as big companies have always developed gear for pvp (and no, im not a wow fan).
    I pvp since UO times, if I want a game without gear on the equation I can play a FPS, League of legends, GW2 etc..
    But I like to grind gear for pvp too, so I play othe rgames, likee Tera, NW etc..
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Go play GW2 then, some of us lie to grind gear for pvp, well apparently mostly of us as big companies have always developed gear for pvp (and no, im not a wow fan).
    I pvp since UO times, if I want a game without gear on the equation I can play a FPS, League of legends, GW2 etc..
    But I like to grind gear for pvp too, so I play othe rgames, likee Tera, NW etc..

Clearly you didn't read my post; because I put there that i disliked GW2 PvP, WvW specially.

Personally, I do not like grinding for PvP, although I like to grind for PvE. From y point of view, if you want to compare gear with another player, you can always inspect him.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    pinkfontpinkfont Member Posts: 563 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    MMOs are about gear. If you don't like it, you should find another genre. Gear isn't going to suddenly become a non-factor in PvP, no matter how much you beg for it to be.
    A rich rogue nowadays is fit company for any gentleman; and the world, my dear, hath not such a contempt for roguery as you imagine. - John HAMSTER
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    pinkfont wrote: »
    MMOs are about gear. If you don't like it, you should find another genre. Gear isn't going to suddenly become a non-factor in PvP, no matter how much you beg for it to be.

I know; and I am not begging for anything; I am just saying that I do not like it. You guys need to realize that not all the points of view that differ from what currently happens are QQ. ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]