test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Would it be easy to get D&D fans pay $60-200 again next year to secure game's future?

nighthalasnighthalas Member Posts: 55
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
This feels like a very important question which could determine the future, success, expansion and development of Neverwinter in the long run.

The financial future of the company might be secure for now with all the income from founder's packs and zen sales to all the new players. However, if things start to go downhill from now, would it be easy for the developers to make all the D&D fans to overlook bugs, problems and lack of content and become instantly very excited about the game again and pay a lot of money for some new packs or features in spring or summer 2014 just like they did now in 2013 for founder's packs?

Right now this question is very important for another free-to-play MMO game called Mechwarrior Online. Notice the similarities here. Both Neverwinter and Mechwarrior Online are free-to-play MMO games based on trademarks which have an established die-hard faithful fanbase (Dungeons & Dragons and Battletech).

The company which is developing Mechwarrior Online released founder's packs last summer but the company hasn't released anything truly major during the whole year. By major I mean some features which would cost the company a substantial amount of money and expand or revolutionize the gameplay quite a lot. They have released some new mechs and pay-to-buy items, balanced and re-balanced gameplay, fixed and "unfixed" bugs. A year ago everybody was expecting the game to be much more versatile by now with its gameplay expanded greatly with the promised community warfare features. In reality, the game isn't significantly different than it was last autumn and a few aspects or features might even be worse than they were.

Now this summer they have suddenly put for pre-order packs which will be similar to founder's packs last summer. Judging by forum posts written by people who got founder's packs last year, even those players who stopped playing or given up on the game or who weren't satisfied with the gameplay balance issues and bugs are now instantly hyped again and willing to dish $60 or $80 on the new packs. One big reason for the hype is because it is Battletech and the new packs will contain some mechs which these people love from the beloved franchise. Right now the company is probably pondering how many Battletech fans will get excited and/or overlook slow game development during the whole year and pay $20-80 again to secure the future of the game for the next year.

If this strategy succeeds for Mechwarrior Online and D&D fans are anything like Battletech fans, then Cryptic Studios doesn't really have anything to worry about and they could follow a similar path of development. They could wait for a year, make minor patches and game balancing and bug fixing but nothing really huge, and then in spring or summer 2014 suddenly put for pre-order for a limited amount of time some kind of packs which would be very tempting for D&D fans.
Post edited by nighthalas on

Comments

• Options
    wingofbenuwingofbenu Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    considering I'm a D&D Fan and I've never spent a single dollar on this game I cant say their actions are convincing me to open my wallet.
  • Options
    clcmercyclcmercy Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 308 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    wingofbenu wrote: »
    considering I'm a D&D Fan and I've never spent a single dollar on this game I cant say their actions are convincing me to open my wallet.

^^^^^

This +1000.

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
  • Options
    knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    From my personal point of view, it depends on what comes up on offer. If I like how the game is going, and what is offered for sale, I'll be spending some money. If I don't, I won't.
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I suspect when module one is released we will see some form of pack for sale, don't see it being over 20 or thirty bucks though, their main source of income is through Zen sales, which the apparently are doing pretty good with despite the hair pulling on the forums.

knightfalz wrote: »
    From my personal point of view, it depends on what comes up on offer. If I like how the game is going, and what is offered for sale, I'll be spending some money. If I don't, I won't.

This^ X 100.

I have no trouble opening up my wallet if something interest me, but I won't buy just to spend.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    wingofbenu wrote: »

The question is mostly about D&D fans who have bought the Guardian of the North or Hero of the North founder's packs or who have bought zen. It would be more accurate to call them D&D content collectors. Are there enough of them and how easy would it be to get them excited to buy a new pack again next year?

If there is a sufficient number of such players, then it doesn't even matter if 50-90% of players leave the game now or the game doesn't really improve much during the next 5-11 months. The only important thing is to release some new limited packs after 6-12 months to get the D&D content collectors to return to the game once again, buy some new packs, play the game again for a month or two and maybe leave again until next year.
  • Options
    tusslebugtusslebug Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I loved D&D. I loved Neverwinter Nights. I let nostalgia cloud my judgment – I will not make that mistake again. This Founder has learned his lesson.
    NWN, The Artisan Chronicles
  • Options
    sprawlfxsprawlfx Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I spent nearly 200 US dollars on Zen for this game. I still have a couple thousand Zen that I haven't used- it's just been sitting there for about a month. I spent between 700 and 800 dollars on one of their other games Champions Online. Have about 4000 Zen parked there for several months now, too. Spent too much on Star Trek Online before that. I like all three games. But I am not spending another cent on any of them until some content comes along that knocks my socks off. I'm not holding my breath. I will continue playing though, until something better comes along.
  • Options
    wingofbenuwingofbenu Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    tusslebug wrote: »
    I loved D&D. I loved Neverwinter Nights. I let nostalgia cloud my judgment – I will not make that mistake again. This Founder has learned his lesson.

I've done that before.

Its why I have a DCUO lifetime sub despite barely if ever playing it simply because I love comic books.

...cant say that was 200 bucks well spent.
  • Options
    wockysanwockysan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    nighthalas wrote: »
    ..it doesn't even matter if 50-90% of players leave the game now or the game doesn't really improve much.

^ not a businessman
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    wockysan wrote: »
    ^ not a businessman

You should consider that some MMO companies are mainly interested in drawing in players only for a certain season. They do not necessarily expect the majority of players to linger around for a whole year in the same MMO game. People arrive, spend money, play the game for a certain period of time and then leave to play something else, while developers begin to create a new expansion using the finances raised during the previous season.
  • Options
    lejdglejdg Member Posts: 79
    edited June 2013
    I spent way too much on the game as it is. mainly for cosmetics and stuff that make the experience better for me - like a mount, fashion articles, colours, couple luck boxes etc. - I have 3 lvl 60s at the moment and i reached the point where i don't know what to do anymore. if new content is being released and i am confident that the game is going somewhere i will spend again. right now i have no incentive to. i really really want the game to grow and be the great experience it is when leveling. i feel the endgame with all that annoying zone-chat to get into d2s is a real turnoff.. if you queue normal for a t2 you finish once every 4 runs.. and you get 1 try each DD.. that is bad :(
  • Options
    callmedeuxcallmedeux Member Posts: 182 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Considering I wasnt a d&d fan and I spent 220$ on this game at first..

Only to find out it has 0 depth, and replayability once you get geared(im using that term lightly as there like 2 sets of gear in this game, pvp gear or t1 to help you farm t2, the end). Acquired all that within two weeks. Another two weeks MAYBE for rank 7s and normal weapon / armor enchants

Well yeah, will never play another game from this company or spend another dollar here.

The money isnt the issue, the ****ty game is. So ill spend my cash else where.
  • Options
    gulrakdarkgulrakdark Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    This feels like a very important question which could determine the future, success, expansion and development of Neverwinter in the long run.

The financial future of the company might be secure for now with all the income from founder's packs and zen sales to all the new players. However, if things start to go downhill from now, would it be easy for the developers to make all the D&D fans to overlook bugs, problems and lack of content and become instantly very excited about the game again and pay a lot of money for some new packs or features in spring or summer 2014 just like they did now in 2013 for founder's packs?

Right now this question is very important for another free-to-play MMO game called Mechwarrior Online. Notice the similarities here. Both Neverwinter and Mechwarrior Online are free-to-play MMO games based on trademarks which have an established die-hard faithful fanbase (Dungeons & Dragons and Battletech).

The company which is developing Mechwarrior Online released founder's packs last summer but the company hasn't released anything truly major during the whole year. By major I mean some features which would cost the company a substantial amount of money and expand or revolutionize the gameplay quite a lot. They have released some new mechs and pay-to-buy items, balanced and re-balanced gameplay, fixed and "unfixed" bugs. A year ago everybody was expecting the game to be much more versatile by now with its gameplay expanded greatly with the promised community warfare features. In reality, the game isn't significantly different than it was last autumn and a few aspects or features might even be worse than they were.

Now this summer they have suddenly put for pre-order packs which will be similar to founder's packs last summer. Judging by forum posts written by people who got founder's packs last year, even those players who stopped playing or given up on the game or who weren't satisfied with the gameplay balance issues and bugs are now instantly hyped again and willing to dish $60 or $80 on the new packs. One big reason for the hype is because it is Battletech and the new packs will contain some mechs which these people love from the beloved franchise. Right now the company is probably pondering how many Battletech fans will get excited and/or overlook slow game development during the whole year and pay $20-80 again to secure the future of the game for the next year.

If this strategy succeeds for Mechwarrior Online and D&D fans are anything like Battletech fans, then Cryptic Studios doesn't really have anything to worry about and they could follow a similar path of development. They could wait for a year, make minor patches and game balancing and bug fixing but nothing really huge, and then in spring or summer 2014 suddenly put for pre-order for a limited amount of time some kind of packs which would be very tempting for D&D fans.

What rabid lunacy is this? What kind of fan likes to punish themselves like that? Given how Cryptic have handled issues so far, no, no I do not think players will be willing to fork over more cash.
  • Options
    wholyhandgrenadewholyhandgrenade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    this game has nothing to do with D&D, just look at the cleric class lol
  • Options
    pednickpednick Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    D&D fans? D00D, if you were a real D&D fan you wouldn't even refer this game as D&D.

Be a Leet D00D, can't think of something smart? Always blame the economy.
  • Options
    vrtesseractvrtesseract Member Posts: 631 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    sur it would I can see it now.

Play an exclusive version of the renegade dragon cult kobold and ride a uniquly colored dragon mount..... and get an exclusive captive virgin fashion outfit...(looks exactly like a ripped up version of moonstone regalia) have a pet lizard named sparky... and more...

if they can have enough gamer candy ant toss around the words exclusive and unique enough im sure they can sell more packs...

disclaimer: none of what I said in this post will probably ever happen.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    gulrakdark wrote: »
    What rabid lunacy is this? What kind of fan likes to punish themselves like that? Given how Cryptic have handled issues so far, no, no I do not think players will be willing to fork over more cash.

Imagine that an avid D&D fan and collector of D&D stuff buys an exclusive pack, plays through the game with a few characters and leaves. There are always people who play a game like this more like a single player game and they won't care about most of the bugs, exploits and issues with gameplay balance like the people who want to stay and play just one game every week and every month for a very long time. A year passes and he/she notices an update or advertisement on some website or a newsletter in email and returns to discover that there is some new exclusive limited offer pack available and some new fun content or changes in the game. Some will pass but some will return and could be tempted to grab some more exclusive items.

Some people are ready to spend tens of thousands of dollars to get special stuff in MMO games, so this scenario is very possible, especially with a long-running trademark like Dungeons & Dragons. The exclusive items have collector value and this is evident if you take a look at the forum threads here in which people are demanding that the company stops selling founder packs.

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?374531-It-s-time-to-stop-selling-founders-packs
  • Options
    blondesolidblondesolid Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 48
    edited June 2013
    I'm trying to figure out who in their right mind would dish out $200 for the most generic, straight from the text book, go fetch quests.
  • Options
    wholyhandgrenadewholyhandgrenade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Imagine that an avid D&D fan and collector of D&D stuff buys an exclusive pack, plays through the game with a few characters and leaves. There are always people who play a game like this more like a single player game and they won't care about most of the bugs, exploits and issues with gameplay balance like the people who want to stay and play just one game every week and every month for a very long time. A year passes and he/she notices an update or advertisement on some website or a newsletter in email and returns to discover that there is some new exclusive limited offer pack available and some new fun content or changes in the game. Some will pass but some will return and could be tempted to grab some more exclusive items.

Some people are ready to spend tens of thousands of dollars to get special stuff in MMO games, so this scenario is very possible, especially with a long-running trademark like Dungeons & Dragons. The exclusive items have collector value and this is evident if you take a look at the forum threads here in which people are demanding that the company stops selling founder packs.

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?374531-It-s-time-to-stop-selling-founders-packs

this game doesn't feel like D&D, such a player would be disappointed an likely wouldn't come back... if I thought PvP was fun and there were ranking boards and classes were balanced I'd keep coming back over time to play it but not for the D&D aspect of the game cause it doesn't at all give the D&D type feel
  • Options
    valetudo78valetudo78 Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Ive spent 90$ on this game but dont plan on spending more. I bought the guardian pack and 30$ zen too buy character slots and some companion slots, I also bought a bag. Other than the bag I dont regret the money, I just dont see anything worth spending money on in this game. I do plan on sticking with this game for a year just too see how things go. My only worry is that pwi just goes for a money grab from new players. So far GG didnt live up too what I thought it was going too be. They maid it sound like a 20 man raid and all we recieved was another add fest. Until there are real fixes to the game, I wont spend any more money, but I will enjoy the foundry.
  • Options
    bracer2bracer2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 566 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    If it was DnD? Yes.
  • Options
    ashensnowashensnow Member Posts: 2,215 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The question is mostly about D&D fans who have bought the Guardian of the North or Hero of the North founder's packs.

A certain percentage of those players will have been unhappy with their purchases and have left the game behind completely.

Another fraction will have been unhappy with their purchase, but still play the game to some extent. Its unlikely that they will choose to buy in, in that fashion, again.

Another fraction will have been, at least, somewhat satisfied with their purchase, perhaps have even made further purchases of zen, but will consider themselves as having sufficiently supported the game that they don't feel justified in making another large lump sum purchase for a new founder's pack.

Another fraction will have bought the initial founder's pack with the expectation that it would be their sole monetary investment in the game.

Another fraction might be on the fence about their feelings towards the return on their investment, but recognize that MMOs provide one of the better hours of entertainment per dollar value spent ratios in the entertainment industry and so buy another pack when it is released.

And, of course, there are those who will be completely happy with their founder's pack purchase, with the game at present, and with the idea of buying another such pack in a year's time.

Who can say what percentage of the total founder's pack purchaser base each of the above constitutes, but only a portion of those who bought a founder's pack are likely to buy another.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • Options
    osiabunnyosiabunny Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    60 dollars maybe, 200, never. Sorry nothing in a game can ever convince me to spending that much money on a virtual item that disappears when the game does. I think 60 is to much but at least it's not 200. I think I'd tolerate 20 dollars, that seems reasonable.