test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why no Damage reduction?

naruonnaruon Member Posts: 37
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
To me it seems silly that a TR fighting with Daggers against a Skeleton should be able to do the same kind of damage they would be able to inflict on a fleshy living creature?? Also i would have thought that using fire based weapons on ice creatures would deal more damage and vice versa on fire creatures...
Post edited by naruon on

Comments

• Options
    endocinendocin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 204 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    More coding.. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    ha ha yeah i guess they will add stuff like that later on
  • Options
    epicmfepicmf Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    naruon wrote: »
    To me it seems silly that a TR fighting with Daggers against a Skeleton should be able to do the same kind of damage they would be able to inflict on a fleshy living creature?? Also i would have thought that using fire based weapons on ice creatures would deal more damage and vice versa on fire creatures...

Are you hinting towards another patch or that you want to prove a point that fire always beats ice?
  • Options
    sh4dowrunn3rsh4dowrunn3r Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    If this reduction/bonus were big it would require remaking pretty much everything to allow any class to adapt to whats needed.
    This goes hand in hand with being able to wield any weapon and building your own power selection from a huge amount of options. Transfering all balancing to weapons/powers instead of per class. It's sad they decided to make everything so static instead of giving us freedom.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    epicmf wrote: »
    Are you hinting towards another patch or that you want to prove a point that fire always beats ice?

No it would just be good to have this in the game where you could pull out your weapons that do fire damage to attack an ice creature etc
  • Options
    terryclothterrycloth Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    They had damage types in City of Heroes but it mostly just annoyed people. Especially when you got to the zone where everything resisted your damage type. "More robots? Do you know how long it takes to kill robots with psi damage?" Generic damage resistance like they have now is probably better for gameplay...

Although it would be nice if clerics were better against the undead. I mean, they don't suck against them -- daunting light is by far the best spell I've seen for taking out zombies. But, well, you know what I mean.
  • Options
    koldmiserkoldmiser Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 131
    edited June 2013
    terrycloth wrote: »
    They had damage types in City of Heroes but it mostly just annoyed people. Especially when you got to the zone where everything resisted your damage type. "More robots? Do you know how long it takes to kill robots with psi damage?" Generic damage resistance like they have now is probably better for gameplay...

Although it would be nice if clerics were better against the undead. I mean, they don't suck against them -- daunting light is by far the best spell I've seen for taking out zombies. But, well, you know what I mean.

OMG! I hated that! The clockwork resisted everything!
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    terrycloth wrote: »

Ditto with WoW and other fantasy MMOs. Fire mages in the lava zone ("why does everything resist my entire build here! AARRRGGG!"), rangers & rogues against elementals/robots ("wtf, my poison is useless!"), Ice mages in the frost zone, etc.

All it meant was that entire classes & builds were permanently nerfed in certain questlines / never ever ever welcomed in certain dungeons. It just pissed everyone off.

In this game? Considering that we don't have the full range of weapons for each class (like, no blunt weapons for use on skeletons/piercing weapons vs chainmail/slashing vs flesh) it would just be the same thing - entire zones/questlines/dungeons where certain classes were even less welcome than they might already be.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    kiralyn wrote: »
    Ditto with WoW and other fantasy MMOs. Fire mages in the lava zone ("why does everything resist my entire build here! AARRRGGG!"), rangers & rogues against elementals/robots ("wtf, my poison is useless!"), Ice mages in the frost zone, etc.

All it meant was that entire classes & builds were permanently nerfed in certain questlines / never ever ever welcomed in certain dungeons. It just pissed everyone off.

In this game? Considering that we don't have the full range of weapons for each class (like, no blunt weapons for use on skeletons/piercing weapons vs chainmail/slashing vs flesh) it would just be the same thing - entire zones/questlines/dungeons where certain classes were even less welcome than they might already be.

fair enough atm that the classes are forced into using a few weapons but if that changes then my rouge should be able to use a club against skeletons and should get DR on skellies when using daggers or slashing weapons.
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Member Posts: 6,694 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Cryptic doesn't like different extra dmg effects.
    Never has.
    Never will.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    nostalgiamannostalgiaman Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yet, unlike CoH or WoW, characters in Neverwinter can change their entire power load-out in 10 seconds. Damage types produced some very interesting options in 4E D&D.