test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

So here's a question. WHY do you make your quests?

lonnehartlonnehart Member Posts: 846 Arc User
edited June 2013 in The Foundry
I'd put a poll down, but I'm pretty sure the reasons are as varied as every human who's ever been on the planet Earth in the past, present, and future... multiplied by infinity. So why make your quests? I'm seeing a lot of people making their quests for dailies and others to get that coveted 5 star rating...

I guess in my current state I'm just dabbling with the tools, learning the limits of what I can and cannot do. And I'm having fun doing it. As far as I'm concerned, the Foundry is a storytelling medium and I'm thankful that Cryptic added it to Neverwinter so that THEY won't be the only ones doing the storytelling (unlike other MMOs where you're lead by the nose through the story and if you don't like it you just deal with it or leave).
*sings* "I like Gammera! He's so neat!!! He is full of turtle meat!!!"

"Hah! You are doomed! You're only armed with that pathetic excuse for a musical instrument!!!" *the Savage Beast moments before Lonnehart the Bard used music to soothe him... then beat him to death with his Fat Lute*
Post edited by lonnehart on

Comments

• Options
    lolsorhandlolsorhand Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 981 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I enjoy it very much. That other people enjoy the quests I make is just a big plus :3
    I like turtles.

Brethren of the Five, Campaign. - Story focused
    The Dwarven Tale - Hack 'N Slash
  • Options
    pris23pris23 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 204 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    lolsorhand wrote: »
    I enjoy it very much. That other people enjoy the quests I make is just a big plus :3

Same here. I miss my tabletop groups and having a kid, job, etc. just makes it hard for my friends and I to get together regularly. This way I get to create and play other people's quests. It is a close second to the tabletop environment. :)
    The Secret to Paradise: NWS-DCV313OOC FOUNDRY DAILY
    Part 1 - Paradise Lost? NW-DDMMIKYTB
    Part 2 - Into the Mist NW-DIJXRI4NT
    Part 3 - Wind of The North NW-DFB9K8KWH

Leave feedback for The Secret to Paradise
  • Options
    zbkoldezbkolde Member Posts: 689 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I've always loved to write stories. With the foundry, i get to write stories, but also build the world, create the characters, and instead of just reading text, people get to actually interact with my story. I have so much fun creating quests, and i love when people like what i've done. Sure not everyone likes it, that's just how life is.

I do try to make sure my quest is eligible for the daily, but not too long, so that the people who run it get rewarded and don't have to dedicate a lot of time to it. But i didn't write the quest for that purpose, i wrote it just to create something to share with others. :)
  • Options
    lolsorhandlolsorhand Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 981 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Well this was a nice thread compared to all the nasty threads floating around lol
    I like turtles.

Brethren of the Five, Campaign. - Story focused
    The Dwarven Tale - Hack 'N Slash
  • Options
    wuhsinwuhsin Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I do it so people can enjoy them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yeah, I have kids and am too far from most gaming groups, so this definitely scratches that itch.

Basically I want to express myself creatively, kibitz with other creators, and find an audience who appreciates what I do.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    sourcreamkingsourcreamking Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 268 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I love lamp.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The entire campaign can be found here: NWS-DQS27OINC

Individual quests:
    1. Heeding the Call - NW-DMJCDZ5XJ
    2. Bored of the Rings - NW-DFWE3XR6W
    3. Draconian Ways - NW-DUNZEJG2J
    4. When All is Said and Done... - Look at the picture ;)
  • Options
    sphecidasphecida Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 95
    edited June 2013
    Part of the reason I delved into the Foundry is to see what I could make with the tools. The other part is feeling like I inhabit Faerun through my game characters, and that there are untold stories of the people who live there. The game itself skims over the events taking place. We can read lore when we come across it, but I feel that Foundry authors can bring that lore to life and give players a chance to experience it.

In addition, I have an erratic schedule. I can find plenty of time to work on projects alone, and I enjoy that. Finding the time for a three hour dungeon, along with finding a group of people I feel comfortable dungeoneering with, isn't happening for me. I don't even know if I'd be playing this game if not for the Foundry.
  • Options
    dzogendzogen Member Posts: 550 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    i think it's fun and funny. also it's a challenge telling stories within the parameters we're given which i think is very interesting.
    Dzogen, Moonstar Agent
    Bill's Tavern | The 27th Level | Secret Agent 34
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yeh, that's another thing... time.

I have kids who may demand my attention at any time. I rarely have time I can absolutely devote to gaming, which makes most content stressful for me (particularly stuff with groups -- I feel bad if I have to bail).

Foundry, though? Something happens, I can save and afk.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    belberkbelberk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 81
    edited June 2013
    I love lamp.

Are you just saying that because you saw the lamp....Brick? Can't wait for the sequel :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quests:
    The Eternal Light NW-DO335J3SZ D.F.E.
    Revenge Of The Companions NW-DMHJNCEY5

Campaign:
    The Light In The Darkness NWS-DJIAO4D3J
    An Unlikely Hero NW-DCFZNQZLR D.F.E.
    The Puppet Master NW-DM8BI99QJ D.F.E.
  • Options
    belberkbelberk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 81
    edited June 2013
    I make the quests because I have a blast creating them and if the players enjoy them....well that's just a nice bonus.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quests:
    The Eternal Light NW-DO335J3SZ D.F.E.
    Revenge Of The Companions NW-DMHJNCEY5

Campaign:
    The Light In The Darkness NWS-DJIAO4D3J
    An Unlikely Hero NW-DCFZNQZLR D.F.E.
    The Puppet Master NW-DM8BI99QJ D.F.E.
  • Options
    apocrs1980apocrs1980 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Honestly, I made Cragsteep because I thought I could try my hand at building an epic raid for a new MMO, to test the limitations of the Foundry, and to hopefully get recognized by Cryptic so I could lobby for a job.

Ravenloft I made because some body posted a thread requesting some one in the foundry community to please remake the module for them, and I had some free time on my hands after finishing the dungeon.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Cragsteep Crypt - BETA
    Ravenloft
    Look for@Apocrs1980 or visit the main page here or Ravenloft here
  • Options
    drakesigardrakesigar Member Posts: 231 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Why? For the chicks of course.

Actually, I enjoy writing and to me the foundry is an extension of that. The original Neverwinter editor was ingeniously simple, but I never created a fully functional quest. Time to rectify this.
    Check out Adventuring College! A 20 minute male-centric comedic solo adventure.
    Quest ID: NW-DPCZNUVQ7
  • Options
    sourcreamkingsourcreamking Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 268 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    belberk wrote: »
    Are you just saying that because you saw the lamp....Brick? Can't wait for the sequel :)

I... I love carpet!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The entire campaign can be found here: NWS-DQS27OINC

Individual quests:
    1. Heeding the Call - NW-DMJCDZ5XJ
    2. Bored of the Rings - NW-DFWE3XR6W
    3. Draconian Ways - NW-DUNZEJG2J
    4. When All is Said and Done... - Look at the picture ;)
  • Options
    xhritxhrit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    drakesigar wrote: »
    Why? For the chicks of course.

True that. I made my quests so that I would have quick lore friendly daily to duo with my girlfriend. I made stuff that I want to play, then changed it a bit to better suit the tastes of my totally hot pocket cleric.

Feast of the moon, because I wanted to have a big party, invite all the important people in neverwinter to the party, get them all drunk, then sacrifice them to a dark god to summon armies of devils.

Rising of the Dark because I wanted to defend a town under attack by said army of devils.

Shadow of the world, because I wanted to have the crazy shadowfel sky effect, with lots of shadow's to slay for my title.

Spellgard because I wanted an arena that was more then just waves of mobs.

Everdark because I wanted a map where you can free fall down a 1000 foot spiral shaft. Why? Because vertigo + adrenaline rush = win.
  • Options
    brunomaltabrunomalta Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Mine is to relieve the good times i had as a DM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Gems of Destiny

Author:@brunomaltasisko

Q1: The Mysterious Mage (NW-DH25ZWZ9T)
    Q2: The Gem of Time (NW-DIV5JX7J3)
    More to Come
  • Options
    thalazar1thalazar1 Member Posts: 163 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I use foundry for the same reason I have made quests in NWN and any game with the option to make a custom map. I make what I like to play so I can play it. I just find creating stuff is more fun then actually playing the game it's self and as a result almost never finish the original game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The Lost Keep NW-DS1XBAK7D An experiment Daily Foundry
    The Ruined Temple NW-DBHC7MUBL Latest and last one Daily Foundry
  • Options
    lonnehartlonnehart Member Posts: 846 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    brunomalta wrote: »
    Mine is to relieve the good times i had as a DM.

And now I remember why I was never a DM. Crafting quests takes tons of time, lots of care, and intense attention to detail. And when done right they can be works of art. :)
    *sings* "I like Gammera! He's so neat!!! He is full of turtle meat!!!"

"Hah! You are doomed! You're only armed with that pathetic excuse for a musical instrument!!!" *the Savage Beast moments before Lonnehart the Bard used music to soothe him... then beat him to death with his Fat Lute*
  • Options
    groshiegroshie Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 146 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Why?
    Max level? How shallow.
    Raid gear? Not interested.

With the Foundry, I am already atleast as powerful as a god! Bwahaha!

No, but seriously. I do it because I've DM'd since I was about 12 years old and I've always enjoyed making adventures that others enjoy.
    Plus it's fun just to sit and play around and test within the Foundry, even if the loading times between testing can be long at times.
    Rescue in Rainwall, ID: NW-DRQK3HKVV
    Chef's Challenge, ID: NW-DGTKIBVF3
    The Dreamfall Campaign, ID: NWS-DEB7Z9IJC (3 Quests)
    Ogre: For the win!, ID: NW-DR5O3PD63
    Cults and Culture, ID: NW-DCLSFYSQ2
  • Options
    delthanindelthanin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 188 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    It scratches the DM itch for me, and I want to give the option for players to somewhat roleplay their characters with a decent number of dialogue options.

I also always had a sort of deep down dream to work with video games, but never pursued it. I get to scratch that itch as well. :p. First quest was more to learn how to work the foundry, so a bit more generic for that one.
  • Options
    anrix2anrix2 Member Posts: 175 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I don't know why I started making quests, probably to see what could be done with the tool. I don't know why I can't stop making quests even though I keep telling myself, my attention is better invested elsewhere. I do know I spend too much time making quests...and honestly I really don't care if I am the only one who plays them. My goal is to push my creative limits, and for the quests themselves it is always to get them to daily eligibility so I can run my own stuff for AD, runestones, and consumables. I am probably going to write one more then stop, a group dungeon that is a greenskin raid on a custom built town that runs at least 90 minutes or so with never seen before mechanics on boss events. It will probably be my swan song for the foundry not the game.
    A solo or group hack-n-slash: Mage Masher

A short solo hack-n-slash: The Dirty Dwarf
  • Options
    thehuntress#2050 thehuntress Member Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    pris23 wrote: »
    Same here. I miss my tabletop groups and having a kid, job, etc. just makes it hard for my friends and I to get together regularly. This way I get to create and play other people's quests. It is a close second to the tabletop environment. :)

Same here.
  • Options
    raphaeldisantoraphaeldisanto Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Why? Because at heart, I am a creator, not a consumer. The Foundry is simply another avenue for my creativity to express itself.

This isn't a DMing thing for me (Although I have DM'd in the past, and I suspect I will again). I'm not specifically a D&D fan and my knowledge of FR lore is pitiful.

But from almost before I could walk I've been creating. I've been doing it my entire life. From throwing out the instructions that came with lego bricks and building my own creations, to coming up with new and inventive paths for dominoes, everything I've ever done is creative. I've choreographed dance routines. I draw, I paint. I write - Words, music, lyrics, computer code, whatever you can think of.

I don't create for money, or for fame, or for popularity. I don't worry about ratings or reviews from the populace at large. I don't create for an audience, although sometimes that happens, and I'm honored when it does. I don't look for any recompense for creating, be that financial, material, or insubstantial. There's no one paying the piper (in any definition of 'pay'), so I call my own tune. I don't create to push my limits, to become better at it. (That happens automatically anyway - Or it should, if you're doing it right). Those are goals, and I don't have goals. A goal is something that happens at the end, and I'm far more interested in the process.

I don't create for any of those reasons.

I don't even create because it's fun - Although it is, and if it were not so, then I would not do it.

No.. I create because it's in my blood and my bones and my heart and my soul. It's what I do. Because I can do nothing else. Because it's what drives me through my life. I create because even when I'm sitting in traffic, waiting for the lights to go green, my brain never stops coming up with new ideas, new pictures, new tunes, new stories. I create because it's who I am. It's who I've always been. It's who I'll always be.

Spiro ergo creo. I breathe, therefore I create.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    wininoidwininoid Member Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I love to create stories and games, so the Foundry combines those two. I also enjoy working with the real and effective (15-30 min length) limits we have. I had to change my stories around to fit, but they came out better than I had originally planned.

I also enjoy all the feedback (good and bad) from players. It is helping me get better as a creator.
  • Options
    gornonthecobgornonthecob Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 421 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    For me, it's a combination of reasons.

I miss being a DM.
    I miss writing the stories and watching how people react to them. Seeing how they interact with the characters, and how creative they can be is always a treat.
    But I think most of all, it's all about immortalizing the characters.

In our tabletop games, those characters were so memorable! To let them fade into obscurity just seems sad. I want to share those characters with the world :)
    @Locksheon

Locksheon Gaming
    Follow me on Twitch - Youtube - Facebook!
  • Options
    msrebel1972msrebel1972 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    No.. I create because it's in my blood and my bones and my heart and my soul. It's what I do. Because I can do nothing else. Because it's what drives me through my life. I create because even when I'm sitting in traffic, waiting for the lights to go green, my brain never stops coming up with new ideas, new pictures, new tunes, new stories. I create because it's who I am. It's who I've always been. It's who I'll always be.

Spiro ergo creo. I breathe, therefore I create.
    And that is the best reason to do it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]