test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

PvP Rogue's...please weigh in.

oregonizeoregonize Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited July 2013 in The Thieves' Den
What are you doing in game? What builds are you running and for what purpose? Perma-stealth? Full executioner? A hybrid? What enchantments are you using for which slots and why? What abilities are you choosing most of the time and why?

There hasn't been a solid, updated, PvP guide in a while, just a ton of people complaining about all the rogues that are rolling face right now (which I think is drastically exaggerated.) I think that a more honest conversation on this topic would be good for all...Anyone? Thanks in advance.
Post edited by oregonize on

Comments

• utuwerutuwer Member Posts: 393 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I am running Full executioner with 5 points for Speed Swindle in Saboteur. Scoundrel path might be better if you want to spam CoS but I personally like critical damage so I go with Executioner.

At-wills: CoS and Sly Flourish
    Encounters: Impossible to catch, Path of Blades, and Impact Shot.
    Passive: Sneak, Skillful infiltrator
    Daily: Shocking Execution, Lurking

At-wills:
    Gloaming cut is just garbage (useless in both PvE and PvP). While Flurry's 3rd strike deals insane damage, pvp veterans will not stay still to get hit by it. Sly is fast and deals decent damage. CoS is the best tool in Rogue's arsenal, fast, long range, and the more you use it, the harder it will hit.

Encounters:
    I give up dazing strike, and lashing strike since it is difficult to use them on experienced pvper. CWs and Clerics would blink around and avoid those 2 easily. Staying in melee range against GFs is just plainly suicide. GWFs with their buffs will either out damage or out last you.

While Path of Blades damage is not so great, it allows you to keep yourself away from GFs, GWFs, and other rogues. It also softens any chaser, and annoying CWs blinking around. Moreover, it is able to screw up any stealth or permanent-stealth rogues around.

Impossible to Catch is your life saver (breaks most of cc except knock down and knock back, and grants immunity to cc). It is just too good to ignore.

Impact Shot's damage is nowhere near dazing or lashing but it is a range skills. It is a great tool to deal with CWs, and the push back effect is awesome against melee fighters like GFs, GWFs (who can pretty much permanently charge you) and other rogues.

Passive:
    Pretty much is about your preference.
    I like to mobility to sneak through enemies and harass their base so that I choose sneak for bonus speed while stealth.
    Skillful Infiltrator gives bonus critical chance, speed, etc. It is absolutely a good choice for multi-purposes.

Daily:
    Shocking Execution is awesome to take down enemies with less than 30% hp and it also ignores soulforge's effect with right timing.
    Lurking can make you a superman. 60% bonus dmg while in stealth is just insane. Pop path of blades, pop lurking, go stealth, run around and everything will die.

Enchantments:
    Utility: Dark for speed, obviously.
    Defense: either Azure (pure def), Silvery(deflect), Dark(life steal). It is debatable and pretty much self-preference.
    Offense: Dark (till around 2k for Armor pen)/Silvery (for recovery if you like to spam powers), Azure (till around 40% crit chance), then radiant (for pure dmg).
    Weapon: Plague fire for me (since its affordable).
    Armor: soulforge (2s invincible can make a lot differences).
    You say 4v5 is impossible? Cool story bro.
  • oregonizeoregonize Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    ^^Utuwer...outstanding! Thankyou, this is exactly the type of response i'm looking for. Educational for both Rogues AND people criticizing Rogues in PvP right now.

Anyone else?
  • creolegamercreolegamer Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    got nothing to do atm so why dont i share what i'm trying atm:

Gear:
    Full Sinister Shade set
    I'm fully aware of the bonus stats that the swashbuckling sets gives but for my particular playstyle, i'm a big fan of deflection. Rank 5&6 dark enchants on all offensive and utility slots (until i can afford at least lv7's) and Silvery enchants on all defensive slots for deflection.
    Plaguefire enchantment on weapon (murderous jester, although i have the ancient spymaster i dont have the ad to remove my plague yet)
    Lesser Soulforge on chest beacause as the above guy mentioned....its a lifesaver.

Feats:
    3/3 feat pts on Lucky Skirmisher for the 3% deflection chance.
    Full executioner build except for 5 pts in Underhanded Tactics for the added combat advantage boost.
    I'm also a halfling which also gives an extra 3% deflection chance. All ability score points into dexterity and charisma for max combat advantage damage and also for the added deflection the both stats give.

Powers:
    At Wills
    Sly Flourish/Duelist Flurry and Cloud of Storm
    Sly is great for rogues and CWs other than that, if the enemy team has lots of gfs, gwfs. or clerics i normally switch out sly for duelist flurry as the damage boost it gives on these classes is insane. Cos is prolly the most annoying skill trs have, gives us the ability to fight at ranged if choose.

Encounters
    this is the tough part for me as i'm constantly switching skills depending on the day but i have my go-to encounters as well.
    Lashing Blade- I like big numbers and since SE is not giving the large numbers it used to give, my ego boost needs to be satisfied elsewhere. i mostly use this skill in stealth or on a tanky class (cw, gf, gwf) after i get my Deadly Momentum to get more crit severity.
    Imposible to Catch- probably one of my favorite skills as i keep this on my encounter slot almost all the time. Lifesaver against gfs, gwfs and the dreaded cws.
    Shadow Strike- keeps me in stealth a bit more. Helps with combat advantage and if i wanna play a bit more hit and run.
    Smoke Bomb- one of my go-to abilities if i dont wanna change around too much or jus doing some domination to pass the time. This ability is really nice if you wanna help your team hold mid or if you dont wanna cap enemy nodes too often and stay in the main fight.
    Deft Strike- I dont use this ability much anymore, but its decent damage and a nice teleport for runners
    Dazing Strike- I used to keep this skill with smoke bomb for the added cc but i hate missing my abilities so it gets left out more than often now. Useful as an opener for cws while in stealth followed by a lashing.

Class Features:
    Skillful Infiltrator- gives movement, crit and my beloved deflection...what else can i ask for.
    Tactics- my recovery is dirt low as i stack armor pen in enchants so this really helps with ap regen
    Sneak Attack- the speed boost on this ability is nice but i prefer tactics to be able to use more dailies before the pvp is over

Daily Powers:
    Lurkers Assult- I'd be a madman not to slot this abiity. Was a big surprise to me when i heard that SE got nerf'd and not this ability as well, this skill is truly nice as it could make stealth last longer, and produce some epic cos kills and lashing crits. ego boost anyone?

Shocking Execution- Still useful, but i'd be lying to say that i dont use it at 50% hp in attempts to kill my foe only to realize that they're running towards the pvp map pots with 5% hp remaining. bye bye ego boost.

Overall, i think i have a pretty nice setup. Experimenting with deflection wasnt a horrible choice and with this build i'm currently sitting on 37.4% deflection w/o my pet or campfire buff(38.9% with campfire buff). Works both for pvp and pve as well. I'm still not fully geared but it is posible to dps cn dragon with this build...and survive :P
  • neverfreezerneverfreezer Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Master Duelist Half set
    Elusive Half set
    Battlefield weapons x2

Executioner PVP build, with stamina boost and crit slow.

I still use old build in powers, daze, lashing and deft strike. However, sometimes I trade deft for smoke or Impossible to catch.

Role in PVP - Cap enemy points, clean up and chase low half hp players. And my favourite of all, kill all control wizards :) Stealth > Daze > Lash/fury > knives > easy mode
  • kgrizzle22kgrizzle22 Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Sorry for the half hijack. Do professions matter in PvP? No clue which ones to take, lol. (I still can't start my own threads...long *** probation)
  • noose93noose93 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 38
    edited June 2013
    I'm just gonna give a link to my build since its hyprid.

http://reyva.com/resources/neverwinter-powers-feat-simulator.9/#fs9EMvHVXUschDSy4oXuoiR2l8XwNw5ePWh7oQ9KUtN2tNIApM1DlwUBHhAugKPpKEod2c

As for at-wills, I'm using sly flourish (for exact same reason as utuwer has explained) and cloud of steel.
    I'm switching between dazing and smoke bomb for cc ability. Lashing blade for burst, impossible to catch as movement/survivability.
    As passives, I use ten. concealment cause I love my stealth, and skillful infiltrator because its multipurpose use.
    As for dailys, I'm rolling between shocking execution, lurkers assault and courage breaker, depending on how I like to play on that specific day.
    As for gear, I'm using battlefield scavenger for longer stealth. I got both ancient spymasters for daggers.
    As enchants I have soulforge on chest and that crit severity one (cant remember the name) on mh, and I've totally ****ed up with all of my other enchants(saving money for replacing them).

So basically I've stacked alot of stealth time and stealth damage. The basic idea of the build is to weaken the target in stealth as much as you can, and then finnish him with dazing strike or lashing blade. I've also taken the impossible to catch for obvious reasons. Ten. Consealment is amazing with this build. If I find myself in situation which I can't manage, I just use impossible to catch and couple of dodge rolls, and I'm in stealth again. Courage breaker is amazing when you find yourself in 3v1 or 2v1 situation, just pop this on melee player, nuke lowest health player, stealth, nuke another player or run away, it also teleports you near the enemy, so I can teleport to CWs that use high grounds. I havent used that much shocking execution nowadays, since the nerf. Been replacing it with lurkers assault more often, for the stealth boost. Trouble with this build is that you wont see much super big numbers, and catching runners is hard. Perma-stealth builds is not easy for this build, but for now, I've managed against most of them. CWs and clerics go down like flys, since I can push hard damage from ranged/stealth. Ofc more skilled players are always harder to kill, but I've seen only couple cw or cleric that I cant manage. All in all, I like my build, and I've been topping the charts even if our team lost.
    Feel free to comment.
  • damianessdamianess Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 283 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    The ultimate 1v1 TR spec is the hybrid scoundrel/executioner build. The feats Brutal Backstab & Mocking Knave does so much damage from stealth, especially if you have a vorpal enchantment. My encounters are shadow strike, impossible to catch, lashing blade/path of the blades/impact shot depending on what builds I'm going up against. Class features are skillful infiltrator and sneak. At-wills are sly flourish and CoS. Dailies are lurker's assault and shocking execution.

I start off by going into stealth, hitting shadow strike immediately so they can't dodge and CoS spam. With the right gear you can down most classes with that alone unless it's a GF or GWF.

If I get into trouble, I pop ITC and shadow strike the nearest enemy and it's off to the races while chugging down a battle potion.
  • pinkfontpinkfont Member Posts: 563 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Right now I'm using Lashing Blade, Path of Blade, Smoke Bomb. I just eat up people at melee range. I don't worry about keeping stealth up, I don't worry about CC-management; I just silence enemies, hit them with a massive damage from encounter ability, and then use path of blade to bother them and I drain their hp with at-wills. It works so well, I don't know why I was using Dazing Strike and Deft Strike for so long.

Dailies I use Bloodbath and LA. Shocking Execution is useless and anyone who still uses it is only damning themselves.
    A rich rogue nowadays is fit company for any gentleman; and the world, my dear, hath not such a contempt for roguery as you imagine. - John HAMSTER
  • oregonizeoregonize Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    This is great guys...please keep em coming. This will help clear up a lot of the misconceptions about the class in PvP.
  • damianessdamianess Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 283 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    pinkfont wrote: »
    Right now I'm using Lashing Blade, Path of Blade, Smoke Bomb. I just eat up people at melee range. I don't worry about keeping stealth up, I don't worry about CC-management; I just silence enemies, hit them with a massive damage from encounter ability, and then use path of blade to bother them and I drain their hp with at-wills. It works so well, I don't know why I was using Dazing Strike and Deft Strike for so long.

Dailies I use Bloodbath and LA. Shocking Execution is useless and anyone who still uses it is only damning themselves.

I don't know about shocking execution being useless, I still get hit for 19k crits from 2/3 health from a burst TR. Also, I stopped using Bloodbath because it bugged out too much for me. I hit the daily and hear the sound but it doesn't go off sometimes and I just wasted all my AP.
  • noose93noose93 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 38
    edited June 2013
    damianess wrote: »
    I don't know about shocking execution being useless, I still get hit for 19k crits from 2/3 health from a burst TR. Also, I stopped using Bloodbath because it bugged out too much for me. I hit the daily and hear the sound but it doesn't go off sometimes and I just wasted all my AP.

I'd say it's not worthless, LA is just so much better imo. With LA I've managed to destroy teams of 3, unlike with SE since you can use it only on 1 target and thats it :/. LA from stealth is a killer.
  • pinkfontpinkfont Member Posts: 563 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    noose93 wrote: »
    I'd say it's not worthless, LA is just so much better imo. With LA I've managed to destroy teams of 3, unlike with SE since you can use it only on 1 target and thats it :/. LA from stealth is a killer.

In order for SE to be effective, your opponent has to be near death to the point where any powerful encounter would be kill him. Or, as you say, LA; which is better in every conceivable way. SE serves no purpose. Your opponent has to be a sickly old man on their death bed for it to be effective. I don't think it should be able to one-shot people like it used to, but it should definitely be useful when someone is at half-health. The only thing "shocking" about this ability, is how rarely it actually executes someone.
    A rich rogue nowadays is fit company for any gentleman; and the world, my dear, hath not such a contempt for roguery as you imagine. - John HAMSTER
  • zellistazellista Member Posts: 100 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    pinkfont wrote: »
    In order for SE to be effective, your opponent has to be near death to the point where any powerful encounter would be kill him. Or, as you say, LA; which is better in every conceivable way. SE serves no purpose. Your opponent has to be a sickly old man on their death bed for it to be effective. I don't think it should be able to one-shot people like it used to, but it should definitely be useful when someone is at half-health. The only thing "shocking" about this ability, is how rarely it actually executes someone.
    Go ahead and try killing a well geared GWF at 30-40% hp with lashing or any other encounter while his Unstoppable is up. :rolleyes:

Hint: SE bypasses the Unstoppable damage resist.
    edited June 2013
    zellista wrote: »
    Go ahead and try killing a well geared GWF at 30-40% hp with lashing or any other encounter while his Unstoppable is up. :rolleyes:

Hint: SE bypasses the Unstoppable damage resist.

Still doesnt make it more usefull than LA.
  • todesfaelletodesfaelle Member Posts: 1,370 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Shocking Execution is good whenever you find the right situation to use it on. Lurker's Assault has much more uses and prolongs survivability, but in terms of a decent burst to kill the GF/GWF's, SE fits the bill. I believe neither are really better than the other in PVP. It just depends on the situation in which you will be using it on. In PVE, however, Lurker's Assault has everything we need.

On the topic of dailies, I have been wondering about Courage Breaker. How long exactly does the debuff it applies last? I heard it's useless, but I've also been seeing some rogues swearing that it works well when popped against DPS classes. Much thanks for any information. I would love to test it myself in the preview shard, however I've been lacking the time for it lately.
  • huckasevenhuckaseven Banned Users Posts: 470 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    How long exactly does the debuff it applies last?

around 8-9 seconds and it starts once you start the animation
    edited June 2013
    Shocking Execution is good whenever you find the right situation to use it on. Lurker's Assault has much more uses and prolongs survivability, but in terms of a decent burst to kill the GF/GWF's, SE fits the bill. I believe neither are really better than the other in PVP. It just depends on the situation in which you will be using it on. In PVE, however, Lurker's Assault has everything we need.

On the topic of dailies, I have been wondering about Courage Breaker. How long exactly does the debuff it applies last? I heard it's useless, but I've also been seeing some rogues swearing that it works well when popped against DPS classes. Much thanks for any information. I would love to test it myself in the preview shard, however I've been lacking the time for it lately.

I've used courage breaker for some time now, and the situations I've found it most usefull is when you're fighting against 2 or more melee players. When you use it on one of the melee players, and position yourself right, forcing other melee player to move out of the range of the courage breaked player, making the courage breaked player basically useless, giving you time to nuke down one or two other players. I dont know how long it lasts and should you still prefer LA tho...
  • kevinf08kevinf08 Member Posts: 432 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013

- The debuff lasts long, I haven't hovered the tooltip but we are talking like 8-10 second I would imagine.

- The "slow" it applies is a very very strong slow, the only major different between this slow and a root is that the enemy can stilll teleport.

- It is very obvious when a target has the debuff and when he doesn't, without looking at the debuff bar.

- It functions as a teleport to near melee range of your target, also, the animation can be canceled while still applying the debufff. Although if you do this you will not do the damage from teh daily. It also has a pretty decent range.

- The slow works on GWF that is using unstoppable. Not sure if bugged or not, but they are definitely slowed if the debuff is applied before or during unstoppable. I really like using this skill on GWF :)

- Pretty fun to troll people with as they are running to get the potions.

- Damage is ok, but nothing amazing.
  • todesfaelletodesfaelle Member Posts: 1,370 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I think I got all the answers I need, thank you so much. I'm currently considering using Courage Breaker for utility purposes and it might even be useful for PVE situations when used on bosses that hit really hard. Let's see how for the tests in the preview shard will take me.

Thank you for the answers, everyone. I appreciate them greatly!
  • duoangelofdeathduoangelofdeath Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    TR sucks,. Lol
  • utuwerutuwer Member Posts: 393 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    TR sucks,. Lol

Yup! TRs definitely need a buff!
    :p
    You say 4v5 is impossible? Cool story bro.
  • duoangelofdeathduoangelofdeath Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    utuwer wrote: »
    Yup! TRs definitely need a buff!
    :p

yep, well said sir, well said.. :D
  • healhamstahealhamsta Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 572 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Me am running full PvE spec for PvP.....and winning.

We were losing until the halfway mark until I basically made a stand and demolished the enemy "perma" stealth TRs & rushing GWFs that kept trying to backcap.

ngukxg.jpg
    Delve loot murdered my TR, DC, & GWF. Nerf Plox:
    I know that it sucks to no longer get gear to sell from the Dungeon Delve chest but it was truly overpowered.
  • llclickllllclickll Banned Users Posts: 149 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
  • degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'm stealth-based, but not perma-stealth. As you'll see, I have very little damage with my encounter powers. I mainly rely on At-Wills and Daily. However, it's great fun!

At Wills:
    1. Cloud of Steel
    2. Sly Flourish

Encounters:
    1. Shadow Strike
    2. Bait and Switch
    3. Impossible to Catch

Dailies:
    1. Bloodbath (Immune to damage and takes plenty of time, which helps encounter cool downs).
    2. Lurker's Assault

Passives:
    1. Tenacious Concealment
    2. Skillful Infiltrator

The trick to playing a stealth-based rogue is using the chaos of battle. I can solo a point, but don't like to. More people searching for you the harder it is to solo. What I really like is to engage an enemy in combat when they're distracted with someone else.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    Join Essence of Aggression: PVP-ing Hard Since Beta!
  • meeggtoastmeeggtoast Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 159 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Surprise Build But Sacks Build!

This is 100% Metzi Dps build. With well geared to pull off near 70% time perma stealth, no PvP armor.

At Wills:
    1. Cloud of Steel
    2. Sly Flourish

Encounters:
    1. Impossible to Catch/ Bait & Switch
    2. Shadow Strike
    3. Lashing Blade

Dailies:
    1. Shocking Execution
    2. Lurker's Assault

Passives:
    1. Tactics/Invisible Infiltrator (Mostly Tactics)
    2. Skillful Infiltrator

Bait and shadow strike will nearly provide for 100% stealth while ur engaging so picking your fight is the most important part!!! Secondly make sure to bait out "dodge" before you lashing because a dodged lashing is 20 seconds on ur instagib.

Opening is: You stealth into middle bait and switch if you are making a long walk around. then pop lurkers then surprise someone with an instagib lashing then shadow strike for stealth the CoS/Flourish people down. you should be able to instagib most weaker classes as long as deflect does not happen. FYI you wont be able to instagib an full sent pvp GWFs.

Your goal is to 100% harass from stealth with CoS. then surprise with an instagib lashing.
    Nevermore@meeggtoast 12.2 BiS TR
    Lanaya@meeggtoast 13.4 BiS GWF
    Shendelzare@meeggtoast 11.2k CN mule CW

Server: Dragon
    Stream: meeggtoast
    Guide: Meeggtoast's Destroyer Dps Guide
  • lichlamentlichlament Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I will only release tidbits, I am not one that shows my hand.

Svetlana Anesjka
    Mindflayer

At Wills:
    2. Cloud of Steel

Encounters:
    3. Lashing Blade

Dailies:
    2. Lurker's Assault

Class Features :
  • ultimuslai2013ultimuslai2013 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I have been pondering about Sly and Flurry for my at-will (CoS as the other one is a no-brainer). I find Sly lacklustre in terms of dps. Sure it is mobile and flexible, but I often felt it is somewhat weak. Flurry is awesome ... if it connects. More often than not, it doesn't. But I still find my self going back to Flurry all the time. I need to try out Sly more often I guess.
  • lecreusetlecreuset Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    when you have a daily and use lurker assault, impact shot+lashing blade can get you 3 kills easily for the duration
  • lichlamentlichlament Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I have been pondering about Sly and Flurry for my at-will (CoS as the other one is a no-brainer). I find Sly lacklustre in terms of dps. Sure it is mobile and flexible, but I often felt it is somewhat weak. Flurry is awesome ... if it connects. More often than not, it doesn't. But I still find my self going back to Flurry all the time. I need to try out Sly more often I guess.

Sly is just icing on the cake, you'll be doing the majority of your DPS through encounters.