test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Help with my GWF build!!

amhanamhan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 12 Arc User
edited June 2013 in The Militia Barracks
Greetings. Well my main question is why another GWfs with worse GS, dmg and df do more damage and are a way better than me. I need help with my build and see what im doing wrong.
My stats are 26 str/15 con/19 dex. GS 10.897 DMG 8107 df 2790. I see people with GS 8,9k and 7k of dmg do the double dmg i do. And i dont know why, if someone can suggest me why or you need more info to help please feel free to ask/ recommend. I want a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> character and i need help.
Rotations: TAKEDOWN, FLOURISH, INDOMITABLE BATTLE STRIKE. DP; CRESCENDO, SLAM.
Paragon path: Destroyer.
Gear: Heroic duelist helm and scale
Berserk bracers and boots
Ancient Castle Champions greatsword and knot
Mantle of the aboleth
Pyrotechnic Band
Ancient fugitive ring of revolt
grand exorcist belt of blessings
gemmed elegant pants
And im thinking to change the heroic stuff for the avatar of war to have 450 critical strike plus.
Post edited by amhan on

Comments

• Options
    ioannides5ioannides5 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    you asking for pve or pvp advice?
  • Options
    amhanamhan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    ioannides5 wrote: »
    you asking for pve or pvp advice?
    Any of them will be very welcome. Another things that i forget to say.
    Class Feature (pvp): Weapon Master, Steel Grace
    Class Feature (pve): Weapon Master, Bravery
    At will: Sure strike, Weapons master strike
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    K so this advice is going to be purely for PvE purposes.

1) don't use bravery. I dunno why you're using it if you're trying to do damage. Either use destroyer, or steel blitz, which ever u prefer (along side weapon master).

2) Your encounter rotation also sucks *** for dungeons. Take down is purely a pvp encounter, NEVER use it in dungeons. One encounter that should NEVER leave your bar in PvE, is roar. Damage is moderate, but the real kick to it, is it generates a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> ton of determination and action points (hitting 5 targets with roar = about 35-40% of your action points). Also generating more determination = more at-will damage, and 90% of your damage comes from at-wills.

3) GWFs have 2 dps trees, instigator and destroyer. You chose the destroyer tree. This means, if you want to be viable, and #1 in dps, you're going to have to use the slam spam build. Pick up "unstoppable Action" in your feets (first row, on the top), and "Battle Awareness", deep in the destroyer tree. The first one makes u generate more action points while unstoppable, and second gives you 25% more power while slam is active. Using your new-found knowledge of how OP roar is, and it's determination/action points generation, you can basically have a near 100% up time with slam, massive AoE damage and 25% more power.

4) Your encounters should always be IBS/Roar/x. The third varies depending on your party and what fight you're doing. If you're about to engage in a heavy single target fight, x will become either flourish or restoring strike. If you're clearing trash to bosses, or boss fight is heavy ADD focus, put another AoE on, not so fast works great. If you need to control adds but not necessarily kill them, use a utility like come and get it.

5) last advice is your stats... You have not posted them, so I'm just going out on limb here and going to say you probably aren't optimizing your stats. The Stone companion, or the cat, really help with this part.
    a) First off, you want to obtain 24% armor pen. Remember, your con helps with this. Your 15 con will give you 5% armor pen, so really, you only need to obtain 19% your self.
    b) Crit strike you really don't need to worry about; almost all GWF gear and sets have it. Anything above 3k+ is awesome.
    c) Recovery is a very nice stat for GWFs, especially with the destroyer slam spam build. You want to get at least 2k recovery to really help out your action point generation (and hey, the CDR doesn't hurt either!)
    d) After you've obtained the above 3, just start pumping the rest in power. Pretty simple.
  • Options
    demonsunderdemonsunder Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 243 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    ^^ hes right, thats a very good build and excellent advice.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Oceanic Neverwinter guild http://19thbattalion.com/home
    Breadbasket NW-DTYGYBRF2
  • Options
    belladanbelladan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 146 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Don't use Flourish. With Destroyer spec, you have a 25% speed bonus to certain specific single target abilities. Your crit value is likely a little low, and your con conversion is meh at best. Given these 3 factors, your 26 str is getting mitigated more then it may be giving a gain.

2. When you decide what type of build you want, and which 2/2 set you want to get for you bonus, look at the stats for each piece. For some sets, the arms are better then the other set. Other times, it's the Scale. Replace your scale piece. Bonus from Duelist is HP, and not a stat modifier outside of Teneb procs. It's ok for armor/basic stats, but it is "horrid" for it's 2 stat bonus. Armor of the Nine Hells (purple) will give you 1400hp alone, and most likely better PvE stats.

3. Scaling burst from Encounters: Speed is key, ergo recovery. Holding onto a takedown for a stun is absolutely useless in pve except against the mobs that pull people in. Any encounter you aren't using simply because it is "a stun" means that you are loosing out on a good 40% of your Determination generation and a loss of a good 100Dps per 10second rotation of your encounter rotation. Don't follow a 3 set path, use each dammed thing when they are ready. Independent rotations are master.

4. Stat optimization: I have no cat or no stone. Outside of Good TR's, I'll normally land in 1st or 2nd in dps with a 14int destroyer. My sentinel will be using a stone when I can afford it. (900 more keys to go!) Optimization is weird for GWF's.
  • Options
    templifytemplify Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    belladan wrote: »
    With Destroyer spec, you have a 25% speed bonus to certain specific single target abilities.
    What do you mean by this?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Thanks all for your advices, i do the changes. (Pve)
    Now my rotation is IBS/Roar/Restore Strike
    DP: Same
    At-Will: Same
    Class Feature: Weapon Master and Destroyer
    In my equipment i change the duelist gear for the bladestorm which gives me +400 recovery.
    Now my stats are:
    Power 3821
    Critical 2709
    Armor Pen 549
    Recovery 1694
    Defense 1817
    Deflection 833
    Regeneration 276
    Attack: 8492
    Protection: 2529
    Im also have one defense slot and two offense slot empty. What runestones do you recommend for improve my stats? How much the cat and the ioun stone improves the same thing? I do great changes? Now my GS is 11k.
    Maybe in the future i will change my berserk bracers and greaves for avatar of war but for the moment this is my end gear.
  • Options
    belladanbelladan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 146 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    templify wrote: »

Read the Feat tree. People don't read anything beyond "Hey! I can do more damage per hit!", and never consider "Hey! I can hit more often!"
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    amhan wrote: »
    Thanks all for your advices, i do the changes. (Pve)
    Now my rotation is IBS/Roar/Restore Strike
    DP: Same
    At-Will: Same
    Class Feature: Weapon Master and Destroyer
    In my equipment i change the duelist gear for the bladestorm which gives me +400 recovery.
    Now my stats are:
    Power 3821
    Critical 2709
    Armor Pen 549
    Recovery 1694
    Defense 1817
    Deflection 833
    Regeneration 276
    Attack: 8492
    Protection: 2529
    Im also have one defense slot and two offense slot empty. What runestones do you recommend for improve my stats? How much the cat and the ioun stone improves the same thing? I do great changes? Now my GS is 11k.
    Maybe in the future i will change my berserk bracers and greaves for avatar of war but for the moment this is my end gear.

Get more armor pen. It's your biggest set back right now.
  • Options
    krakenaznwkrakenaznw Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yeah, definitely more armor pen. The feat that converts some of your recovery to armor pen would help if you don't already have it.
  • Options
    kelbornxkelbornx Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    templify wrote: »

I'm guessing he means the Relentless Battle Fury feat (since his reply was even more vague than the original statement), which reduces the cooldown of Takedown, Roar, and Battle Fury by 25%. Running my top-end tooltip numbers at lvl 48 and base cooldown: Flourish does 140 DPS, and Takedown would do 165 DPS with that CDR. But that seems like a very mediocre DPS buff from 5 feat points. It's only really good if you're also using the other 2 skills affected by it... but that doesn't seem like a very good loadout to me.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    With enough mobs around, you will have your AP bar to 90% prior to Slam damage ending. (This is provided of course if AP generation doesn't glitch like it does on occasion, and you do your rotation correctly, with IBS in last place to pick up the kill shot bonus of mobs.)

I tend not to use Battle fury due to it's CD with my destroyer spec. (even feated, 15 seconds is a long time to wait for an encounter regen.)
    I'll try it with the sentinel spec, and see how well it does.
  • Options
    copticonecopticone Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    (900 more keys to go!) Optimization is weird for GWF's.

Huh? You're actually buying keys, just so you can eventually get a stone? You know you can buy them from the Zen store for 2000zen. That's the same cost as 16keys and not 900 :P
    Read the Feat tree. People don't read anything beyond "Hey! I can do more damage per hit!", and never consider "Hey! I can hit more often!"

No need to be condescending when someone is just asking you a simple question.
    Your original rational is actually not good. Relentless battle Fury is ok to spam Roar faster in PvE NOT Takedown. Then in PvP the opposite is true.
    Check out my personal Nerf Proof T2 Thaumaturge Build.
  • Options
    yeruneyerune Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Personally I like knockdown for pve, but I'm not 60 yet, so who knows what will come. But right now I like smacking that big hitting mob on the head while taking out the trash, it keeps him from hitting the wizard or cleric.
  • Options
    chudovishyechudovishye Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Lots of separate PvP and PvE discussions here. I'm just going to say that there's a way to make a build that works in both PvE and PvP. Hasn't failed me yet.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    copticone wrote: »
    Huh? You're actually buying keys, just so you can eventually get a stone? You know you can buy them from the Zen store for 2000zen. That's the same cost as 16keys and not 900 :P

No need to be condescending when someone is just asking you a simple question.
    Your original rational is actually not good. Relentless battle Fury is ok to spam Roar faster in PvE NOT Takedown. Then in PvP the opposite is true.

1. You first have to have the zen to buy the stone. And I used the wrong word lol. I meant to say zen conversion.

2. People really do need to start reading the information provided by the skill that they are asking the question about. If they ask a question whose information is word for word what is listed for the tree, then yes; I'll bloody well tell them to read the dammed feat info. As I haven't actually been given authorization from the company to quote them, then it's so very much less a legal battle if they go and decide we aren't buying enough 40$ mounts. Best they can argue is reverse engineering.

No shout whatsoever should be on your pvp encounter list for pvp with one exclusion. The CW's are really, really good at teleporting before you can stun them. At that point, Roar has enough distance from it's animation that you can normally stun them long enough to get to them. Of course, leap is a far superior skill for that, It's even better when you are against perma-stealths.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    1. You first have to have the zen to buy the stone. And I used the wrong word lol. I meant to say zen conversion.

Or you can just earn free Zen...
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Nah. You aren't playing if you are earning free zen. :o
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Nah. You aren't playing if you are earning free zen. :o

Hahaha, what else should I do when my dailies are done, my crafting is active, and I'm waiting for DD? Might as well make Zen for items to trade for great stuff!
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    yerune wrote: »
    Personally I like knockdown for pve, but I'm not 60 yet, so who knows what will come. But right now I like smacking that big hitting mob on the head while taking out the trash, it keeps him from hitting the wizard or cleric.

Flourish works better if you have the proper feats stacked. The double-stun effect you can get negates many enemy attacks, even bosses, and stuns them for about a second or two. Those Brutes, for example, when they suck you in to do their big swing, if you hit Flourish while they begin, they stop doing it.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Or you can just earn free Zen...

:p Build more GWF toons and farm the dailies from that while leveling. Give us a better rap. (As I've been mostly on my non 60, I haven't had any kicks in a week!)

Takedown can stop 48.5% of Brute attacks while Roar will interrupt the other 48.5%. That pesky 1% is still a problem.

As well, use roar then Takedown and not vice versa. For whatever reason, you glitch the animation of prone and then don't get stunned from Roar.