test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

$ To

maisaanmaisaan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 166
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
How come that we in Europe pay 33% more for Zen than US players does?
Don't tell me it's tax because it have to state on my invoice if tax is added and tax in my country is "only" 25%
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    sasheriasasheria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Lazy conversion. I notice of late that many MMO usually just stick with a single "price" format.

$15 USD, $15 Euro, $15 BP

They don't take currency exchange into account.
    To grow old is inevitable, to grow up is optional.
    Please review my campaign and I'll return the favor.
  • Options
    kiraliakiralia Member Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Plus they pass on any currency conversion fees to the customer.
  • Options
    hkiewahkiewa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 379 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    It is likely VAT, conversion, and maybe even a fee for the conversion. PWE uses one VAT % for I believe the entire EU. A requirement to post tax collected doesn't mean it is not being collected and simply not posted as such
  • Options
    maisaanmaisaan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 166
    edited June 2013
    hkiewa wrote: »
    It is likely VAT, conversion, and maybe even a fee for the conversion. PWE uses one VAT % for I believe the entire EU. A requirement to post tax collected doesn't mean it is not being collected and simply not posted as such
    I know a lot about this kind of stuff.
    If I buy any item abroad it HAS to state that vat/tax is included and how many % of the price it is, if it doesn't then it's not included, maybe local but it could never add 33%, to the price and if I use eg paypal they would never get any extra fees to pay.
    If my government started to show interest in online gaming shops/gamers, they could charge me 25% of the money I have spend because it's not stated on my invoice that I have already paid them. When I buy software online, 25% is added to the price and I can easy see that on my invoices.
    What ever the reason is that they charge people in Europe 33% more for Zen's, I would like to know. 33% is a LOT and that made me cancel the purchase I was going to do today. It's not like the stuff in the store is cheap, not even in $. Then imagine if you add 33% to it.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited June 2013
    The difference is due to the VAT Fees which have to be collected by PWE.

Official Post

Second Post
  • Options
    nevfenevfe Member Posts: 214 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Official Post

The post you quoted does not explain why the euro price equals the dollar price, merely that EU resident players aren't allowed to pay in dollars but must pay in in Euros. As pointed out by another poster, if the euro price we pay includes VAT then PWE should be issuing a VAT invoice that shows the amount of VAT included in the price.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited June 2013
    Grabbed the one that was split into two by mistake. I added in the second post:
    Europe will not allow our company to pay that fee as well so many of you will see a "more expensive" amount for purchasing
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Very convenient if 15$ + VAT can be converted to exactly 15€.
    Many companies outside Europe actually have a reduced price for EU customers because they know we have to pay a high tax/vat and special price isn't just on digital stuff but is on any thing from clothes to cars, a sort of "We value you as customer and would like you to come back", thingy.:)

/hint
  • Options
    velektorvelektor Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    maisaan wrote: »
    Very convenient if 15$ + VAT can be converted to exactly 15€.
    Many companies outside Europe actually have a reduced price for EU customers because they know we have to pay a high tax/vat and special price isn't just on digital stuff but is on any thing from clothes to cars, a sort of "We value you as customer and would like you to come back", thingy.:)

/hint

Care to give an example of such a company?
  • Options
    hkiewahkiewa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 379 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    maisaan wrote: »
    I know a lot about this kind of stuff.
    If I buy any item abroad it HAS to state that vat/tax is included and how many % of the price it is, if it doesn't then it's not included, maybe local but it could never add 33%, to the price and if I use eg paypal they would never get any extra fees to pay.
    If my government started to show interest in online gaming shops/gamers, they could charge me 25% of the money I have spend because it's not stated on my invoice that I have already paid them. When I buy software online, 25% is added to the price and I can easy see that on my invoices.
    What ever the reason is that they charge people in Europe 33% more for Zen's, I would like to know. 33% is a LOT and that made me cancel the purchase I was going to do today. It's not like the stuff in the store is cheap, not even in $. Then imagine if you add 33% to it.

Apparently I know more. Lol.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    velektor wrote: »
    Care to give an example of such a company?

Sure, can give you the one I'm looking at atm (upgrading software) but you will probably have to be in Europe to see the different.
    https://www.filterforge.com/
    But it's actually easy to find. Most serious business' have that model.

When I get the invoice from US companies on stuff I have bough, it also states how much TAX/VAT is added as it is suppose to be according to the laws in my country.

Btw, I don't even want to think about how much the people paying with
    hkiewa wrote: »
    Apparently I know more. Lol.
    Apparently :rolleyes:
  • Options
    pinchyskriipinchyskrii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    See below.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Subscription to a previous game of this type:

14.99 USD/month
    8.99 GBP/month
    12.99 Euros/month

Oh look, not being ripped off by a false tax excuse!

If they can charge for that without tax, they can charge for one off payments, so don't bother trying to use that as an excuse either. It's politics to leech more money from people.

[post edited because this pathetic broken forum doesn't allow even basic currency symbols to be posted]
  • Options
    kiraliakiralia Member Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yeah its just pw making excused...the euro officials may be able to say we cannot pay in dollars, but they cannot prevent pw from charging a price with reflects a similar end price as the us players pay. As per the price examples in the post above this. If they are allowed to charge us more then they would certainly be allowed to charge us less. Just so happens this way they make more money.
  • Options
    theviking2006theviking2006 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 817 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Subscription to a previous game of this type:

14.99 USD/month
    8.99 GBP/month
    12.99 Euros/month

Oh look, not being <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> by a false tax excuse!

If they can charge for that without tax, they can charge for one off payments, so don't bother trying to use that as an excuse either. It politics to leech more money from people.

[post edited because this pathetic broken forum doesn't allow even basic currency symbols to be posted]

"<font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>", I dont think that word means what you think it means.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    "<font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>", I dont think that word means what you think it means.

I changed it just for you.

Doesn't change the fact in the post though.
  • Options
    katbozejziemikatbozejziemi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Official Post

Second Post
    What a load of bull****. There's plenty of online games where you can pay in USD even if you play from Europe, and it doesn't make you pay 33% more.

This is purely PWE's choice.
  • Options
    neverhofneverhof Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 174 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Guardian pack costs 59.99 USD and I was billed 40.35 GBP in May, as you would expect. Why didnt the tax apply then?
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    neverhof wrote: »
    Guardian pack costs 59.99 USD and I was billed 40.35 GBP in May, as you would expect. Why didnt the tax apply then?

You got lucky - they insisted on charging me 50something quid.....
  • Options
    dakjkkkkkadakjkkkkka Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Grabbed the one that was split into two by mistake. I added in the second post:

What crud was that in your quote? "europe doesn't allow"? Since when was there any entity called Europe which allows or disallows payments? Hey, guess what? Most of Europe uses euros as a currency, the UK uses pounds sterling. Guess whether "europe" dictates what I can do with my UKP. Clue: No.
  • Options
    inkiesquidinkiesquid Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    and since I was able to buy a digital version of Norton via ebay from a US seller using USD and paying a hell of a lot less than any vendor in the UK, I guess I have also experienced that I am allowed to spend and convert my money any way I like. Captain Europe wasn't able to stop me, and I don't think he even tried! also, VAT wasn't an issue since the transaction didn't take place in the UK... that's why Tesco and every other online store sells goods out of the channel islands... their tax rate is lower so the items are cheaper.

I might have been eligible to pay import tax, but as I only really imported data (the info was supplied by email) and so they'd have to tax EVERY email to justify that one!
  • Options
    neverhofneverhof Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 174 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    that's why Tesco and every other online store sells goods out of the channel islands... their tax rate is lower so the items are cheaper
    Not anymore, Mr Cameron closed that loophole in his infinte wisdom and put alot of people out of work here because of it.

It does seem there has been a lengthy debate about this before...

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/archive/index.php/t-36191.html

I guess it's a touchy subject but it could do with a bit more clarification/and or information when making purchases from PWE. The % of tax is huge.

I wonder if this is still valid or if it even applies to digital purchases too(couldn't find a date on it)...
    Imports of low value goods are any consignments, made up of goods of a negligible value, that are dispatched direct from a third country (non-EU) country to a consignee in the EU which may be admitted free of customs import duty and/or import VAT.

Currently this means that:
    consignments with an intrinsic value of 15GBP or less are free from both customs duty and import VAT

Taken from Here. I think this is something to do with the loophole Cameron closed.

If it is valid, woudn't that include purchasing 15 GBP of Zen?