test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Failed Story Objective

holthar1stholthar1st Member Posts: 107 Bounty Hunter
edited June 2013 in The Foundry
What should the "Failed Story Objective" color be set to, Orange or white?

I've seen some Foundry Quests where they were either or and some where they were both (both meaning in one quest where one would be white and the next dialogue it would be orange).

Also...should EVERY dialogue have a failed story objective or just at the beginning of the quest where you decide to take the quest or decline it?
Post edited by holthar1st on

Comments

• Options
    redneckroninredneckronin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I use Yellow for "choices" and Orange for "objectives / last comment".

I've never yet used a "Failed Story Objective".

If I were to use one I would use Orange and have (This Fails The Quest) at the end of the choice, especially if it were more than a few minutes in. Players hate having their time wasted by taking a "fail option" that they weren't able to avoid.

All The Best
    Campaign: Call Of The Wild - Information, Links To Review Threads, Screenshots

Looking For Reviews For Your Foundry Quest?
    Drop By Scribe's Enclave & Meet Up With Volunteer Reviewers.
  • Options
    zbkoldezbkolde Member Posts: 689 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I use orange for the responses that continue the quest, and white for optional responses that may give more side information. I also use white for the "Failed Story Objective," since it doesn't continue the quest.

The "Failed Story Objective" doesn't fail the quest, at least not that i've seen. It's basically the same as clicking "Done." It just leaves the conversation, but the objective is still there, and you can talk to that NPC again. It's not needed for every dialog. As you said, i used them in the beginning, but once the player got involved in the quest they were no longer an option.

Having said that, it's really your choice, just be sure to stay consistent throughout your quest.
  • Options
    gemstrikegemstrike Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The failed objective isn't a true failure point. It just simply means "The quest line does not advance if you reach here." For those that remember, it was like the "Do you love me" question from Dragon Warrior. You *had* to answer yes to continue. As far as color, that's largely a personal choice, though I tend to make quest advancing choices orange and non-advancing choices something else.

Foundry Author! Check out @gemstrike to see my quests :)
    Want to make your own? Then watch my videos.
    New Videos
    Old Videos
  • Options
    guitarzan698guitarzan698 Member Posts: 384 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I remember reading a post about using failed story objectives as a form of DM text. Does anyone remember the specifics of that post?
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I don't know, but Bonderleaf's Thorough Aggregator made a lot of good use of fail messages as popups.

I found it very inspiring.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    gemstrikegemstrike Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Those fail messages were most likely item interaction fails. Conversation fails don't pop up anything.

Foundry Author! Check out @gemstrike to see my quests :)
    Want to make your own? Then watch my videos.
    New Videos
    Old Videos
  • Options
    lolsorhandlolsorhand Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 981 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    You can do some useful things with Quest fail, like a story explanation from a character. If you have a party with you, people does not need to fear to click the npc away by reading the further explanation/dialogue.
    I like turtles.

Brethren of the Five, Campaign. - Story focused
    The Dwarven Tale - Hack 'N Slash