test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Sentinel vs GF Tank?

rixthiarixthia Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited June 2013 in PvE Discussion
I've been playing Sentinel (GWF) from lvl 30. So far, he's worked great as a boss tank (which is all I've seen a GF do as well, never seen one pick up adds... that was "the dps job"). So my confusion comes down to, if Sentinal has been doing so well tanking the boss, AND it gets threat/defense feats... why do we not count as tanks? We even get the Iron Scrapper set which is a defensive set bonus. It appears from having done both a GF (I have one of every class, I admit I am an altaholic) and a GWF that a GF is designed to pick up adds with aoe-taunt off the cleric while a GWF is more focused on self-sufficiency against the bosses. That having been said, I have 1 question for other GWF's/GF's and 1 proposition (found neither under a Sentinel search):

Question - Anyone else done Sentinel that has tips for AoE-threat? We get Intimidation for generating AoE-threat, but it's HORRIBLE for threat levels. You do it and are immediately out-threatened IF you even manage to generate enough threat to pull off a heal.

Proposition - Make those who are sentinels quable as tanks. If we're going to get a set-bonus and feats for tanking, it only makes sense. It'd also make que's easier to find a tank for (especially skirmishes which seem to be taking 2h+ anymore to find a group for), and it'd add a little more "option" to playability. Just food for thought.
Post edited by rixthia on

Comments

• abombination247abombination247 Member Posts: 1,279 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    lol. GWF sentinel is extremely broken for tanking. Its way better then a GF could ever possible dream of tanking. To bad they didn't give a GF this build so he could tank. GF's as they stand are fail at face tanking where a GWF can tank just about anything with the right set up and never ever ever ever die.
  • rixthiarixthia Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    That's what I've been noticing as far as boss tanking. The thing I'm trying to figure out, is do we EVER count as a tank for que'ing?
  • stellarstriderstellarstrider Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    No, but you should.

I'll also say that GWF are both better and easier to tank with when built for it.
    edited June 2013
    No, but you should.

I'll also say that GWF are both better and easier to tank with when built for it.

The bright side of things. With a good GWF off tanking and add control. I can use single target and Knights challenge on the boss. Reducing the boss damage by half and double the damage of me vs him. Makes a much faster boss kill.
  • khatzhaskhatzhas Member Posts: 268 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    We can be even tougher than a Guardian Fighter in bursts, but we have nowhere near the aggro-control tools. Unless we overgear the rest of our party significantly, a TR will pull the boss off us very quickly, with no way to restore it.

That is why we tend to do best at tanking and killing adds when the GF isn't: we can soak up a lot of auto-attack damage and hold aggro on a group until we and the rest of the add-control mob take them down.
    edited June 2013
    GF is the worst tank class in the game. As a GF there are plenty of fight where I want no adds on me or agro so I can dps cause that's my roll in NW.
  • leillannaleillanna Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    GF is the worst tank class in the game. As a GF there are plenty of fight where I want no adds on me or agro so I can dps cause that's my roll in NW.

You must be joking. A GF is a second rate subpar DPS at best. No one wanted them before they were patched to become viable tanks and no one in their right mind takes one in a dps slot. You as a GF bring one thing that is unique and viable to a group. It is threat. Your dps IS secondary, your group buffs ARE secondary. A sentinel specced GWF can in no way shape or form take the place of a GF as a main tank for a group. Stop spreading misinformation simply because you wanna herpa derp DPS on your GF.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Eilistraee zhal zuch tlu wun ussta xukuth.
    edited June 2013
    leillanna wrote: »
    You must be joking. A GF is a second rate subpar DPS at best. No one wanted them before they were patched to become viable tanks and no one in their right mind takes one in a dps slot. You as a GF bring one thing that is unique and viable to a group. It is threat. Your dps IS secondary, your group buffs ARE secondary. A sentinel specced GWF can in no way shape or form take the place of a GF as a main tank for a group. Stop spreading misinformation simply because you wanna herpa derp DPS on your GF.

I am not joking with the PvE dungeon design and how bad things are. GF's just can't tank. They increased threat whoopee. Threat wasn't the issue the cap on Aoe skills is the issue allowing a max of 3 and 5 targets to be grabed with there Aoe encounters. I actually don't use any threat skills feat etc etc. So the threat buff was useless. If they want tanks to tank. Give them a health pool buff, a real guard meter buff defletion or a invulnerable skill like the GWF so they can actually fill a tank roll. As is Cleric is still best and used for Adds and kiting them while I am single target on boss trying to not agro adds.

With that being said. Ill stick to my PvP where its actually fun for me. Classes in PvE are messed up and every dungeon is even more screwed. I do love this game though but tanks don't tank yet ? Maybe with the right buffs and 40k + health in the future and some redesign on fights.
  • demonsunderdemonsunder Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 243 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I am not joking with the PvE dungeon design and how bad things are. GF's just can't tank. They increased threat whoopee. Threat wasn't the issue the cap on Aoe skills is the issue allowing a max of 3 and 5 targets to be grabed with there Aoe encounters. I actually don't use any threat skills feat etc etc. So the threat buff was useless. If they want tanks to tank. Give them a health pool buff, a real guard meter buff defletion or a invulnerable skill like the GWF so they can actually fill a tank roll. As is Cleric is still best and used for Adds and kiting them while I am single target on boss trying to not agro adds.

With that being said. Ill stick to my PvP where its actually fun for me. Classes in PvE are messed up and every dungeon is even more screwed. I do love this game though but tanks don't tank yet ? Maybe with the right buffs and 40k + health in the future and some redesign on fights.

Wow, if you're serious... wow, ... *puts thoughts in order* Are you high?..... It's only way I can explain this or its a troll, but if he's serious.... /leaves to take a cold shower and hopes he goes back to hello kitty happy island adventure.

But aside from that Tested GWF tanking with 8 diffrent build and varying gear on Mimic and tried 2 of them in Live to compare with GF tanking. GWF have amazing Defenses, but almost no threat gen once you lose threat you cant get it back and you lose it fast in geared groups, untill they buff threat gen on a GWF its just not viable yet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Oceanic Neverwinter guild http://19thbattalion.com/home
    Breadbasket NW-DTYGYBRF2
  • belladanbelladan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 146 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    See, group syncing is fudged when the cleric "tanks". As the GWF isn't getting hit, his Dailies, and specials can't gain at a large rate. Imho, the rift system was best for queueing. As it stands, just dropping GWF's in the tank bucket will just ruin what little we have left of getting delves completed. Some sentinel specs will forego the threat build simply because the game design is so very much more technical then. "oh hey! AI, bring that one here! NOW." That isn't "tanking" in the traditional sense.

Given the ideology that GWF's are hybrids, each feat tree is designed as being hybrid. In the specific case of this game, we don't have trees per se. We have different gardens to tend.
  • laudon1laudon1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    leillanna wrote: »
    have you seen our gf fearitself? Pro dps
    Lemonade Stand.
    Dragon Guild
  • monkjaynmonkjayn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    right, alot of the comments here appear to be written by people who have never touched a tier 1, let alone tier 2 or castle never dungeon.
    for starters, if geared for dps properly enchanted etc, a good GF can put out some serious damage, i know several who whle being able to take a bit of a beating can easily catch and beat the average rogue / cw in damage done (they are largely r6 enchants with a buffer pet in full timeless with CN sword and board or lizard+crusher).

secondly unless your running with no CW or a GF clerics simply dont really get much aggro now, and no longer really need to tank anything, freeing up job for GF or GWF to help control the hoards with a CW, or add to the slaughter of the nameless mass of minions we all kill on a daily basis, if your clerics still being mobbed, you and your party have ****ed up royally.

as a third point, theres very few boss endgame that a tank will be tanking the boss, your much better suited to controlling the adds, which are the real danger to your party, while the rogues get on with avoiding and killing the boss (end dungeon boss' this is, the ones on the way are so easy as to not really require thought and in most cases everyone can pile on).

also as for GF not being able to tank ... i run a mostly cnqueror build in the stalwart bulwark armour set, CN sword and board, and make use of a cat loaded out with the armour pen i need to reach 22%, enough crit to sit at 20% chance, 25% deflection, near as ****** 50% defense while the stalwart set places my power at 11k ish in combat which helps no end with a dmg boost and more importantly a boost to my self healing, makign massive use of knights valor on every cooldown to soak up the dmg the group takes and ive managed to successfuly tank every t1/t2 and castle never without any issues of lack of control or feeling squishy or that my plac e in the group would be better served as somthing else (my main is a fully kitted rogue), so frankly, anyone who says the GF cant tank, is frankly a bad player.

if when new content is released i feel i need to be tougher, a simple respec will gain me the equivilent of 20% higher mitigation, or i could swap to grand regents and gain a further 10%, if i feel id be best suited to be doing more dmg, a simple swap into timeless would breach that gap and have me easily competing for dmg with the average rogue / cw.

and finally, as ive aid alot of times before, the queue system is not a matchmaker, its simply a que for full groups, que up solo and it will simply put you in a - you guessed it - a que for the next available spot, regardless of your class or what is required by the group who was too foolish to make a group form the hundreds of peiopel shouting for a group in zone chat before they joined the **** que.

laters

Monk

so yeah, basically, for the most part both the GF and GWF (sentinal) are there to deal with the adds and tank the sub boss' if you so feel the need, if you cant manage this, the problem isnt so much with the class, as it is with you.