test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Please Help! Game won't patch.

tehpeejtehpeej Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 12 Arc User
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Hi all,

I have been trying to log into the game since headstart began this morning - but it keeps trying to download a 306mb patch. It gets to 25mb then restarts the patching process over and over in an endless loop. Can someone please tell me how to fix this?!

Thanks.
Post edited by tehpeej on

Comments

• Options
    xykromaxxykromax Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 55
    edited April 2013
    From what it seems you have a firewall / blocking problem ...
    Lost my Proud in Owning - The Hero of the North Pack & The Guardian of Neverwinter Pack
    [
  • Options
    crok2crok2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    tehpeej wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have been trying to log into the game since headstart began this morning - but it keeps trying to download a 306mb patch. It gets to 25mb then restarts the patching process over and over in an endless loop. Can someone please tell me how to fix this?!

Thanks.

Have your tried right clicking the icon and choosing run as administrator? Not sure if that's the answer or not though.
  • Options
    tehpeejtehpeej Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I disabled on demand patching, so now it's getting the full 6gig patch rather than just the little one mentioned earlier.. so far no issues.. fingers crossed.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Never mind.. it's doing it again.. will download up to a certain point then restart... Running as admin doesn't help. Please advise.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Updated: this is the error message I get.

Error 14: The connection to the server was lost. Restart in 5.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I have tried disabling my antivirus and firewalls, no dice.
  • Options
    kaltoumkaltoum Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I have tried disabling my antivirus and firewalls, no dice.

Only other way to fix is it to get the updated NW launcher from some other players and replace yours. This trick always worked in CO and STO.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    feiyhdfeiyhd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Nothing else on this issue? I'm interested to see how this will pan out.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Update: Just un-forwarded and reforwarded the ports and restarted my router. Still not fixed.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Let me see if i can share the updated NW launcher with you..maybe that will solve your patching problem.

Ok here it is is the latest updated launcher. let me know if this link works for you.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u2rno8gxdrpce7u/Neverwinter.rar

Just put it in your cryptic studio folder (not in the live).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    scorgescorge Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 74
    edited April 2013
    kaltoum wrote: »
    Let me see if i can share the updated NW launcher with you..maybe that will solve your patching problem.

Dropbox it for him, if not i can try later if that helps although am working so will be later on this evening (GMT)
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    yep i drop boxed it for him.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Thanks! I will try this.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Nope, still won't work even with the replacement patcher :(
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Nope, still won't work even with the replacement patcher :(

Well that sucks...at this point the only thing to do is re download everything again from scratch. Use gary utilities and delete all registry entries before doing that.

Also have you tried patching via proxy in launcher options?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I have tried with and without proxy - it was working earlier, managed to download all but the last 375MB and now it just refuses to download it. Disconnects after about 20mb. This sucks, really wish an admin or dev would post.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I have tried with and without proxy - it was working earlier, managed to download all but the last 375MB and now it just refuses to download it. Disconnects after about 20mb. This sucks, really wish an admin or dev would post.

It could be that something broke in the patch or got corrupted. There is also force verify option and safe mode to see if it is your connection or this 350mb patch that is causing problems.

Another way to make sure that it is not your connection is to use some VPN software and try patching game. Something like softether vpn manager client can help you verify that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I really don't want to have to reinstall the whole game =/
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    So I just deleted everything, cleared the registry and I'm re-downloading the whole game. If this doesn't fix it I will be demanding a refund of my Hero of the North pack. GG Cryptic.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    So I just deleted everything, cleared the registry and I'm re-downloading the whole game. If this doesn't fix it I will be demanding a refund of my Hero of the North pack. GG Cryptic.

I hope you were able to solve your problem. If you didn't, removing .patch folder seems to solve this issue.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    isomorphismisomorphism Member, Cryptic Developers Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Hi tehpeej. I'm a programmer at Cryptic. I'm really sorry to hear that you're having trouble getting in.

About 12-24 hours ago, there was an issue that affected some users where their patch would get near the end but be unable to complete. At 1:30 PM PDT (UTC-0700) today (about six hours ago) we made a change that should have resolved this particular issue.

Please let me know if you are still experiencing this issue.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Hi tehpeej. I'm a programmer at Cryptic. I'm really sorry to hear that you're having trouble getting in.

About 12-24 hours ago, there was an issue that affected some users where their patch would get near the end but be unable to complete. At 1:30 PM PDT (UTC-0700) today (about six hours ago) we made a change that should have resolved this particular issue.

Please let me know if you are still experiencing this issue.

Hi there, thanks for taking the time to post.

Unfortunately - even after completely reinstalling - I'm still experiencing the same issue. At this stage I've almost completely lost the head start benefit of the Hero of the North pack, which is quite frustrating.

Error message is still the same:

Error 14: The connection to the server was lost. Restart in 4.

Is there anywhere I can get a manual patch, since the patcher keeps failing on every attempt? Is there anything else you can suggest?

Thanks
  • Options
    meowthemeowthe Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I am having exactly the same issue and tried pretty much everything that tehpeej did. If there was anywhere we could manually download the patch files that would be great.
  • Options
    constantmotion24constantmotion24 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Getting the same issue and I have a fiber connection at my house, I have done everything said on this forum and yet it still fails, I was eager to try this game, but not so much now. Nice try I guess game devs.
  • Options
    swaguitaristswaguitarist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I got mine fixed by doing the following steps:

1) completely removed Norton Anti-Virus
    2) opened the launcher and it patched successfully
    3) re-installed Norton
    4) Game working great now

for some odd reason even tho I had all of the exceptions and firewalls setup flawlessly.. Norton still hated the launcher.
  • Options
    constantmotion24constantmotion24 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    No dice swaguitarist, I did what you said and disabled firewall and anti-virus, it made it pretty far but in the end it failed once again. I'm going to try installing it on a fresh Virtual Machine, I think there is something on my system that is inhibiting the patching, just don't know what it is.
  • Options
    kvlt696#4368 kvlt696 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Did anyone find a solution to this? I am experiencing this problem still but my gf can patch the game fine. Both have no firewalls or anti virus, I've reinstalled the game, copied the files from her install and tried and still nothing. other times the down load starts off extremely fast then towards the end goes incredibly slow..