test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Place Marker as "DM Text Triggers"

redneckroninredneckronin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited June 2013 in The Foundry
Ok, so I have a problem that my limited experience of the Foundry tool-set is not letting me solve.

I want to use a Place Marker so that if the player enters a certain room it delivers a little bit of "DM Text" without the player needing to interact with anything at all, and without having to use a "Reach Point" Quest Objective.

Is this possible.

Someone in Foundry Chat mentioned using the Placer Marker to trigger an event "off screen" but didn't elaborate on how to use that to deliver "DM Text".

Am I just being an idiot here and not seeing the obvious?

All The Best
Campaign: Call Of The Wild - Information, Links To Review Threads, Screenshots

Looking For Reviews For Your Foundry Quest?
Drop By Scribe's Enclave & Meet Up With Volunteer Reviewers.
Post edited by redneckronin on

Comments

• guitarzan698guitarzan698 Member Posts: 384 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Hey, that's easy bro.. you need to do this as a quest objective so it's done on the storyboard. Just drag the 'reach point' objective to the correct place in your storyboard. Then fill in the text and radius you need. Then place it or associate it to the correct place on your map. Simple.
  • redneckroninredneckronin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Hey, that's easy bro.. you need to do this as a quest objective so it's done on the storyboard. Just drag the 'reach point' objective to the correct place in your storyboard. Then fill in the text and radius you need. Then place it or associate it to the correct place on your map. Simple.

But if I do that there will be a "quest objective" that the player needs to reach, I don't want that. This is in a room the player has no need to enter, its just "detail". I don't want to guide the player there, I want them to find it via exploration.

All The Best

• guitarzan698guitarzan698 Member Posts: 384 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    yep... turn off the golden path for that objective. Well, It will still be an objective but they won't see the trail. Otherwise I suppose you would have to make it an invisible clicky... I know it's clunky but I can't think of another way. If you do it as a conversation with an invisible clicky.. you can at least put the text up in different colors.. ie, Quest text, OOC text, or dialogue text.
  • lolsorhandlolsorhand Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 981 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    yep... turn off the golden path for that objective. Well, It will still be an objective but they won't see the trail. Otherwise I suppose you would have to make it an invisible clicky... I know it's clunky but I can't think of another way. If you do it as a conversation with an invisible clicky.. you can at least put the text up in different colors.. ie, Quest text, OOC text, or dialogue text.

Invisible clickies for those things aren't that bad if you have players who play a map for its story.. Otherwise you might get complaints.
    I like turtles.

Brethren of the Five, Campaign. - Story focused
    The Dwarven Tale - Hack 'N Slash
    edited June 2013
    No takers on this?

How to deliver "DM Text" (System Notice) without the need for direct interaction from the player?

I am 100% certain I have seen it done in one of the Foundries I have played, but can't recall which one.

All The Best

• zoiks100zoiks100 Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Far as I know the only way is via reach point quest objectives. I suppose you could have an off-screen npc chat something, but that would be pretty awkward with the chat bubble, and not sure you could keep them from repeating it. Or possibly the name of an invisible interactable/NPC in the player's field of vision, also pretty awkward though.

Interact failures also give system messages but obviously require the player interacts with something, which you don't want.
    Don't Panic.
    airplane-2-o.gif
    Okay, Panic.
  • glantorxglantorx Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yep only way is a reach point, you can put a space in the name quest text box and your DM_TEXT in the reach text box, that way at least no text is visible in the quest list. On and turn waypoints off.
    edited June 2013
    Problem with putting in it the quest chain is that objectives that come after it won't activate until it is complete.

So without waypoints all you do is create a choke-point that stalls overall progression without giving the player any clue as to why.

All The Best

• pixelb0xpixelb0x Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    You may want to try NW-DHZ5DAV4R - the DM's Studio, by Mosby1. I seem to remember he demonstrated how to execute DM text by using an "objective failed" event. (The text appeared on screen in red). Even if I saw that elsewhere, his tutorial is worth running.
  • swordswornswordsworn Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    And dosnt the objective always say complete at the end? "turn back danger lies ahead":complete

Only thing I could think of is be creative add a sign Like a "beware the ogre". or a invisable interacactive. "this place gives me the kreeps. Maby I should turn back." Even a interactable abject to move out to the way to advance and you could add in "dragging the fallen pipe out of the way you hear a odd noise... Maby this is not such a great Idea" hmm it might need to be an objective, but then maby you could drop a rusty pc of pipe on interact, and despawn the pipe if player has item rusty pc of pipe? Would have to try it.
    45 min story driven solo dungon. Branching dialogs. Multiple mid boss encounters. More small groups of tuff mobs then trash spam. "In defence of the Beggar King" now elidgable for daily foundry. NW-DHJPT25G4

10 min short but sweat. Amusing story and dialog. Light humor. Creative hord/survival mode hybred. Detailed eviroment. Entense combat with little no respite. Lovable contact npc. "The Infinity Chest" NW-DHKAAXTP4W
  • thehuntress#2050 thehuntress Member Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    What I've thought of using was using an asset and having the PC interact with it using the class skill. Like a mage discerning crushed crystals which then leads to a DM descriptive.
  • mosby1mosby1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 288 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    pixelb0x wrote: »
    You may want to try NW-DHZ5DAV4R - the DM's Studio, by Mosby1. I seem to remember he demonstrated how to execute DM text by using an "objective failed" event. (The text appeared on screen in red). Even if I saw that elsewhere, his tutorial is worth running.

That was probably the portal "labels", but it was via an interactable. I don't know of any way to automatically trigger it, other than the way-point objective. :(

One UGC I played (sorry, can't recall which one) used interactable books to provide DM/flavor text.

It was a little strange with the first book (seemingly just there for no reason), but by the end of the quest, I thought it was a very good idea, and worked well.
    DM's Studio - NW-DHZ5DAV4R
    The Cursed Emerald:
    1. Weird of the Weather-witch -- NW-DEZAK4QPA
    2. The Ambitious Apprentice -- NW-DLRAVW4S4