test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Companions, worst coding fail in this game?

warfluxwarflux Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Did they actually intend for all these companions to suck goats as much as they do? How is it that an ioun stone that costs 2,000 zen is 50 times better than one that costs 3,500 zen?

Either they completely messed up, have no clue still that companions are all worthless except for cat/ioun stone, or actually meant it to be that way. All 3 are ridiculous and I can't believe they haven't fixed them yet.

Who cares about new classes? There are so many things that do not work right that we already have.
Post edited by warflux on

Comments

• scorgescorge Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 74
    edited June 2013
    warflux wrote: »
    Did they actually intend for all these companions to suck goats as much as they do? How is it that an ioun stone that costs 2,000 zen is 50 times better than one that costs 3,500 zen?

Either they completely messed up, have no clue still that companions are all worthless except for cat/ioun stone, or actually meant it to be that way. All 3 are ridiculous and I can't believe they haven't fixed them yet.

Who cares about new classes? There are so many things that do not work right that we already have.

it has been like that for months, teh devs only seem to work on things that generate ZEN and money. the dev responsible for companions is without a doubt a big bag of fail :-(
  • skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Cleric.....I must heal my boss

Runs up and stands right in front of mob......Eats a huge aoe.
  • zxenoszxenos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    For rogues especially, it's cleric or nothing: and most of the time, it's nothing, considering that the poor cleric companion seems to have a magnetic attraction to enemies, causing them to throw out attacks that you wouldn't have to deal with while stealthed.
  • warfluxwarflux Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Cleric actually outperforms companions that sell for 3,500 zen. If I paid 35 bucks for that I would not be a happy customer.
  • cureforhumanitycureforhumanity Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I actually noticed my Cleric companion HEALING me while I was missing health yesterday. I couldn't believe it. Usually it just stands there and hangs out. The only time I actually see it do anything is when I stealth and the mobs just start barraging her. (which I must admit is often pretty funny)
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    skalt112 wrote: »

Yes, I really wish that they could disable all attacks for the Cleric companion and just have her spam Healing Word.....
  • shadowmephshadowmeph Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    is there a way to get the cleric companion higher then level 15? my cleric is ok but there are times when she will walk right into a mob and then attack with some weak attack and not heal me or herself then just die but there are other times ( about 30% ) she actually stays or of mobs and heals my rogue which I really need but like I asked she is topped out at level ( or rank) 15 which sucks because now I am level 42 and really love solo play it is getting tough
  • runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    shadowmeph wrote: »
    is there a way to get the cleric companion higher then level 15? my cleric is ok but there are times when she will walk right into a mob and then attack with some weak attack and not heal me or herself then just die but there are other times ( about 30% ) she actually stays or of mobs and heals my rogue which I really need but like I asked she is topped out at level ( or rank) 15 which sucks because now I am level 42 and really love solo play it is getting tough

Not yet. Companion upgrading has been announced with the upcoming Fury of the Feywild free xpac.

There are a few green clerics (and other starter companions) around. That should go to 20. They were a random item in a pack available in the Zen shop a bit ago. Not sure if it still is. But you might find one in the AH.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    shadowmeph wrote: »

Best way is to get the promotional offer from IGN Prime mentioned here:

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?216541-Neverwinter-List-of-promotions/page7

by subscribing for a month ($8,50). Be sure to cancel your subscription if this is the only thing you are interested in!

This will get you a Green (max Rank 20) Cleric for all the characters on your account. This may not help a huge amount but any increase in survivability is good......
  • grizzdelgrizzdel Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 34
    edited June 2013
    Companions are atrocious.

My cleric occasionally heals and yes, walks right into AE from boss mobs constantly.

dog/skeletal attacks here and there completely at random, usually sits the fights out

jagged blade does absolutely NOTHING! sits back entire fight and only comes near me after all mobs are dead

Pheora see dog above

Cat buffs stats......exciting

I've leveled them all max or close to max and they are as worthless as they were before I bound them. Except for the cleric...has mild usefulness until she commits suicide by cop.
  • theviking2006theviking2006 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 817 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    warflux wrote: »

I must have missed your example on good coding you would do for companions. Or is it just not there.
  • kaelis33kaelis33 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 56
    edited June 2013
    Acolyte of Kelevmore = garabage 20 dollars ...might as well burned the 20 dollars would have gotten more use from the heat exerted from the fire than I have from that companion in game.
  • onehappygnadeonehappygnade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I wish I could use the Acolyte of Kelevmore, but he has Repel and that's counter productive.

I had gotten the Wayward Wizard for my Rogue which would have been great but he tends to run straight to me, and stand next to me, which is also counter productive. So far my Dire Wolf seems a lot better.
  • jannetojanneto Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    All I want to be able to do with companions is to issue commands/tactics... Like tell my cleric not to attack, or to stay back, heal, etc...

Or to tell a companion to initiate an attack before I do, like pets in some other mmos.
  • warfluxwarflux Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I must have missed your example on good coding you would do for companions. Or is it just not there.

Make them not suck? Can think of millions of ways. Code them like the mobs, they don't just stand there and do nothing.
    edited June 2013
    kaelis33 wrote: »
    Acolyte of Kelevmore = garabage 20 dollars ...might as well burned the 20 dollars would have gotten more use from the heat exerted from the fire than I have from that companion in game.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. They charge zen for these worthless companions. Not sure how much more fail it could be than buying something that sucks more than what you get for free at level 16.
  • methuselasmethuselas Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    skalt112 wrote: »

LMAO! I couldn't agree more. That or she won't heal you, during combat, using her pathetic attempt at a ranged attack, forcing you to eat pots, then, when the combat is over and you're near 90% health, from potting, THEN she decides to heal you.

Typically, I just use her as a meat shield distraction, so I can concentrate on other things, but it doesn't help when I'm pounding on a drider solo and she drops.
  • shadowmephshadowmeph Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    the thing is though I am not sure how long I will keep playing this game becasue I get board with these games like STO and Perfectworld also STTOR played them for a couple of months but got bored becasue when you reach a certain level it becomes repetative. SO far though with this game it hasn't been and also can so far solo except for not sure where to get new companions I haven't been using any skill points lately because this paragon path thing is a little bit confusing to me
  • giggliatogiggliato Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I have a galeb duhr and he seems a bit slow, I'm not complaining he is made of stone after all but after he kills a mob he just sort of stands there while I grab aggro on a new mob.

The companions do seem to have some issues, probably mathematical ones concerning threat and things.

I think galeb duhr needs an AOE taunt that is on a short enough cooldown to be meaningful, k thanks.