test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What Gear For A Newbie Rogue?

klixanklixan Member Posts: 447 Bounty Hunter
edited June 2013 in The Thieves' Den
I've just hit level 20 and I'm about to go shopping for some gear (I've just been using whatever drops I find up till now) but I'm not sure what I should be looking for.

I really like my high damage, so I was thinking 'Smiting Evader's' green gear which will give me 'Power, Critical and Defense'. Is that a good choice for a low level rogue? Or is there something better?

These are my choices:

Smiting Evader's - Power, Crit, Defense
Piercing Evader's - Crit, Armor Pen, Defense
Tempered Evader's - Crit, Defense, Deflect
Evader's " of Respite - Power, Crit, Recovery
Evader's " of Restoration - Crit, Defense, Life Steal
Evader's " of Youth - Crit, Defense, Regeneration

As for Amulet, Belt and Rings, I was looking at 'Evader's " of Protection' which will give me 'Critical and Defense'.

As you can see, there's a lot of choices, so I'd love to get some advice before I start spending my AD. Oh, by the way, this is strictly for solo PvE leveling (no PvP or Dungeons).

Thanks muchly.
Post edited by klixan on

Comments

• Options
    burninnateburninnate Member Posts: 39
    edited June 2013
    I used Smiting and Lethal mostly, really it kind of depends on your build.
  • Options
    drclawisdeaddrclawisdead Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Leveling I wouldn't really worry about defense. You'll be burning through mobs pretty easily and you have to tools to survive most things.

I went full glass cannon with a combo of piercing and smiting gear. I just tried to keep my crit as high as I could and I breezed through everything until mid 50's when mobs could start really hurting you.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Thanks for the replies guys. I think I'm going to do that too, just focus on getting as much damage as I can for now. It seems, for a rogue at least, that our best defense is a good offense. The faster I kill, the less I get hit.
  • Options
    norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Spending money or time and energy on gear at 20 is a bad idea IMHO. You will be level 23, 25 and have to do it all over again within a day or so. Maybe grab a blue weapon, but in general just make do with what you find until at least level 45. At 49 you can buy level 60 quality blue items (from the nightmare boxes that give blue gear boxes) including a nice weapon.

as for what to get, I found splitting my stats evenly into power, armor pen, and crit worked until the last area. The last zone, you WILL need some defenses.
  • Options
    todesfaelletodesfaelle Member Posts: 1,370 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Hi! You also might want to get some fairly cheap and very reliable gear such as...

- Signet of Pain.
    - The Blackdagger Blade.
    - Maelstrom Cloak.

These are fairly low level TR gear that will last you for quite some time due to them having stats comparable to or better than higher level equips.

These gear lasted me for as long as level 50 and I did not need much gear updates thanks to them.

431784_607373582607955_1441798879_n.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Excellent advice! Thanks so much guys. I'm leveling solo, so it can get a bit tricky at times.
  • Options
    thebrimanthebriman Member Posts: 218 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I agree with noroblad -- leveling is so quick in this game that I wouldn't recommend spending too much time seeking any specific gear until you get close to 60. By the time you get that special item, odds are you've out-leveled or are close to doing so. I just equipped whichever drops had the best offensive stats (Crit, Power, AP), stayed in stealth as much as possible to avoid damage and rolled with the cleric companion to help keep me alive. Didn't really hit anything too difficult until 50+, and even then it was pretty manageable just using random drops, though I did start equipping more +hp gear.
  • Options
    seizontwigseizontwig Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Thank you OP for asking this, and everyone else for the awesome advice. been wondering this myself.