test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

We need trade and lfg channels!

chunkienoodle26chunkienoodle26 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
edited July 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
PLEASE implement a trade and LFG channel. It's ridiculous that there is only one channel for all the instances of PE.
Post edited by chunkienoodle26 on

Comments

• ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited June 2013
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited June 2013

To be fair, there is a huge difference between custom channels and default ones. There is very little instructions for finding or joining channels. There isn't even a viable channel search option. Unless you know the channel already exists and its name. It all but impossible to join. This is hardly a system that is inclusive or newbie friendly. And until that is changed a default option will always be a better choice.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited June 2013
    I've had conversations with Sominator about nudging the developers to find a way to advertise custom channels in a fair manner...

But honestly when the system is created purposely to make as many customer channels as players heart's desire...
    And my old behind came from games where players who wanted to sell items had to actually spend more than two seconds to find a location to trade...(What's and Auction House/Zone Chat?!)...yeah...I'm really not the person to ask for understanding from.

And in all seriousness I see it now:
    "Nobody uses the Official Trade Channel so I'm going to go back to Zone Chat."
    The only benefit from it would be that I would no longer have any regret for reporting them for spam because they would have absolutely not excuse and my sympathy would go from little to none.

Communities forming their own trade and group finding communities is a key part of MMO Experiences to me. I have full faith that once the community matures the obnoxious spam will dwindle and people will find that custom channels would be far more productive.

It's just a matter of time...and false reports. :p
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Just make official Neverwinter (only) Trade and LFG channels. Add a popup for a limited time for existing players, and as part of the tutorial for new players/characters. Let it be known that zone is not to be used for buying/selling or LFG requests...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • destinyknightdestinyknight Member Posts: 962 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    This game really does need a default trade and looking for group channel.
  • wintersbornwintersborn Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited June 2013

The fact that a retail MMO does not have one shows the quality or lack there of this company.
    Just Report/Ignore EVERYONE that is spamming <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> for sale in the /Zone chat.
  • nick1sternnick1stern Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 330 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013

Communities forming their own trade and group finding communities is a key part of MMO Experiences to me. I have full faith that once the community matures the obnoxious spam will dwindle and people will find that custom channels would be far more productive.

You have faith in maturity?????
    Are you sure you are even playing or working for the same game we are talking about.
    Have you seen the general immaturity and A$$ Hattery in general chat in most all MMOs the last few years.
    I usually mute Zone or World and only run with specific important channels open.
    Like Trade LFG Party and Guild.... The rest is all BS, immature idiots and spammers.
  • nick1sternnick1stern Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 330 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013

It was the simple and lazy way out for cryptic/PWE do not know about custome channel well thats your fault....
  • dakjkkkkkadakjkkkkka Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    There isn't even a viable channel search option. Unless you know the channel already exists and its name. It all but impossible to join.

If only someone would make a thread listing the customs channels....
  • bdragonbbdragonb Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 103 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013

Here you show the mentality of this company. Put some vague information and let the crowd try to figure what to do with it. Is really too dificulty to add 2 new tabs in the chat with access to the 2 already existent trade and LFG channel? Or at least give instructions how to access this channels togheter with the link?:rolleyes:
  • alaric63alaric63 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    No one would willingly sell to a less than complete market. Sellers will always use the medium, in this case Zone chat, that has the most potential customers. Why advertise on a channel that has fewer viewers than is possible?

I think it's just as fair to force people into selling to inferior markets as it is asking people to have Sell-Spam in general chat. Making separate channels would be for no advantage at all.
  • shadedkinshadedkin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I've had conversations with Sominator about nudging the developers to find a way to advertise custom channels in a fair manner...

But honestly when the system is created purposely to make as many customer channels as players heart's desire...
    And my old behind came from games where players who wanted to sell items had to actually spend more than two seconds to find a location to trade...(What's and Auction House/Zone Chat?!)...yeah...I'm really not the person to ask for understanding from.

And in all seriousness I see it now:
    "Nobody uses the Official Trade Channel so I'm going to go back to Zone Chat."
    The only benefit from it would be that I would no longer have any regret for reporting them for spam because they would have absolutely not excuse and my sympathy would go from little to none.

It's just a matter of time...and false reports. :p

Well this is my take on it then. If having custom channels for standard chat features in most games is a key part of an MMO experience, then remove the zone chat. If people want a zone chat they will make one. And now I wont have to see all the spam. It will be far more productive then requesting a basic feature that most MMO's have, as you said.

sockmunkey wrote: »
    To be fair, there is a huge difference between custom channels and default ones. There is very little instructions for finding or joining channels. There isn't even a viable channel search option. Unless you know the channel already exists and its name. It all but impossible to join. This is hardly a system that is inclusive or newbie friendly. And until that is changed a default option will always be a better choice.

Completely agree.
    11k+ GS CW | Langor@shadedkin | Dragon Server76561198027499089.png
  • roxboxmysoxroxboxmysox Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I was about to make a new thread regarding this subject. THIS game badly needs a 'looking for' (includes all LFG, LFM, looking for guild, recruitment messages) and trade chat ( all the WTT, WTB, WTS)

Chat is unreadable with the current way trade and looking for group messages get dumped on /zone chat.
    The only way I can actually read /zone chat and help out with the questions; is by doing this every time I log in:
    full size: http://i.imgur.com/eb4mTeu.jpg
    eb4mTeu.jpg

at the moment, only thing I don't auto ignore are lfguild messages by new players in zone chat. (and some guilds that I like, when they post recruitment bulletins I'll glance over them since I may join in the future)
    veteran players posting gear score in their zone lfguild messages, get removed from my chat so I can see the discussions

this is an extreme way of handling the lack of alternate default chat channels, but I do it partly in protest of the current way zone chat is organized.
    Please post all your Trade and LFgroup/guild messages in Custom Chat Channels to prevent zone chat flooding
    How to join Custom chat Channels Guide by morbic
    edited June 2013

Lazy answer in response to poor lazy design flaw.
  • chrono0812chrono0812 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 501 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I was about to make a new thread regarding this subject. THIS game badly needs a 'looking for' (includes all LFG, LFM, looking for guild, recruitment messages) and trade chat ( all the WTT, WTB, WTS)

Chat is unreadable with the current way trade and looking for group messages get dumped on /zone chat.
    The only way I can actually read /zone chat and help out with the questions; is by doing this every time I log in:
    eb4mTeu.jpg

at the moment, only thing I don't auto ignore are lfguild messages by new players in zone chat. (and some guilds that I like, when they post recruitment bulletins I'll glance over them since I may join in the future)
    veteran players posting gear score in their zone lfguild messages, get removed from my chat so I can see the discussions

this is an extreme way of handling the lack of alternate default chat channels, but I do it partly in protest of the current way zone chat is organized.

You seem to take the same approach I do towards Zone chat. :o
    Death_knight.jpg

Life is a dream for the wise, a game for the fool, a comedy for the rich, a tragedy for the poor.
    ~Sholom Aleichem
  • roxboxmysoxroxboxmysox Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    THIS game badly needs a 'looking for' (includes all LFG, LFM, looking for guild, recruitment messages) and trade chat ( all the WTT, WTB, WTS)

http://i.imgur.com/eb4mTeu.jpg [img tags snipped][/img]this is an extreme way of handling the lack of alternate default chat channels, but I do it partly in protest of the current way zone chat is organized.

well I took the time to look through the other search results that popped up for the terms "trade group chat" (the terms I used for searching threads suggesting new /trade /lfg channels

I've been ignoring all the trade and looking for group messages but apparently I'm not the only one doing this. Many people have been complaining of 24hour bans for even a single trade message in zone chat.

My autoignore method to clear zone chat isn't as extreme, some people appear to outright be reporting every /trade /lookingfor message in zone chat as spam. The ignores I do seem mild in comparison :eek:

players complaining about chat bans because there isn't an official solution for separating /trade /lfg messages:
    nw-forum.perfectworld.com/... -Chat-ban-for-nothing-really [62 pages]
    nw-forum.perfectworld.com/... -Zone-chat-stupidity [2 pages]
    nw-forum.perfectworld.com/... -The-community-of-this-game-is-terrible-Yeah-you-guys! [closed] [2 pages]
    nw-forum.perfectworld.com/... -Chat-banned-again [closed] [141 pages]
    nw-forum.perfectworld.com/... -2-things-to-adress-wich-are-annoying-and-rediculous [31 pages]
    nw-forum.perfectworld.com/... -Silenced-for-24-hours-! [3 pages]
    nw-forum.perfectworld.com/... -Someone-help-me-please-Really-Help:( [2 pages]
    nw-forum.perfectworld.com/... -Two-24-Hour-Chat-Bans-In-A-Row-After-Typing-1-Line-In-Zone-Chat-Each-Time [10 pages]
    nw-forum.perfectworld.com/... -Chat-Banned-Proof-this-system-sucks [closed] [65 pages]
    page counts: 10 posts per page

other worthy /trade /lfg suggestion threads:
    nw-forum.perfectworld.com/... -Enough-is-enough-give-us-a-trade-channel [3 pages]
    nw-forum.perfectworld.com/... -Fix-the-chat! ["spammer" corrects mistake, starts a chat suggestion thread] [1 page]
    nw-forum.perfectworld.com/... -PE-Zone-chat-is-MADNESS-Please-give-us-designated-Trade-and-LFG-channels [2 pages]

{The only poll in this list. 221 votes 74.66% voted for, "I love it. Put your spam and ads somewhere else. Don't do it; you won't be muted."}
    nw-forum.perfectworld.com/... -Do-you-have-a-problem-with-the-current-community-policing-(24h-Mute) [poll] [14 pages]

{this next topic was started by a community moderator, thread focuses on improving chat ban system, but dodges the issue of adding /trade /lfg chat}
    nw-forum.perfectworld.com/... -Player-Challenge-Make-the-Neverwinter-Chat-Ban-System-Better [16 pages]
    [... There's like 25 other topics to add to my list but I'm not going through them now... or ever...

There was one chat ban complaint thread that stood out,
    the topic starter attached an image, he screen captured the chat, it included time stamps. All messages "shown on screen" took place in the same minute, 9:34. This image was taken in 1080p resolution (1920px x 1080px) http://i.imgur.com/2rIVNYu.jpg
    28 distinct chat messages are fully visible (30 total if you included the [system notify] and the German localized buy text at the top, the time stamp was not shown so I excluded it)
    for the purposes of these stats, I'll use 28 as the total number lines shown

out of 28 messages posted in zone chat, xx were
    13 willing to buy
    3 willing to sell
    3 willing to trade
    6 looking for group
    2 guild recruiment
    1 looking for more
    0 messages were true /zone chat messages
    notice: all messages took place in under 1 minute

17 unique users out of 28 postings
    5 players who posted identical lines more than once
    1 players who posted identical lines more than twice
    5 users posted a combined 11 messages

out of 28 total messages,
    19 messages would be filtered by /trade
    9 messages would be filtered by /lfg

aggressive spammer awards:
    1st place - skade (3 messages in under 1 minute)
    2nd place - hergher (2 messages back to back, 0 lines between messages)
    3rd place - hilock (2 messages, 8 lines in between)
    4th place - equilibrium (2 messages, 16 lines in between)
    5th place - carric taletreader (2 messages, 25 lines in between)

yeah that thread OP was mad, and hostile from the very beginning, he set the attitude for 50 pages that followed;
    anybody trying to post adverts in this muck would be hurting their business;
    anybody trying to play the game would be annoyed;
    anybody trying to use zone chat for discussion would be have been furious.
    Please post all your Trade and LFgroup/guild messages in Custom Chat Channels to prevent zone chat flooding
    How to join Custom chat Channels Guide by morbic
  • runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013

I'm about to do the same. I've been holding out a bit on it. Hoping they'd add a trade channel. Because I know the people selling stuff for Gold don't have a place to go. And this gets them chat banned too. But at this point its my chat or theirs.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • clcmercyclcmercy Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 308 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    The fact that a retail MMO does not have one shows the quality or lack there of this company.
    Just Report/Ignore EVERYONE that is spamming <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> for sale in the /Zone chat.

I challenge you to find an MMO where the general/zone chat IS NOT at least partially filled with item sales chat.

I'll save you the trouble. You can't. Rift, TERA, Star Trek Online, Champions Online, DDO, AoC, DCUO.....none of them are devoid of trade chat channels, yet there is still zone chat sales advertisements.

Let me ask you....what is it you absolutely HAVE to have a free zone chat for that can't be solved by guild chat, tells, team chat or perhaps some private, third party chat engine?

Oh, and for the record, the "report spam" function is to be, by a Cryptic Game Admin's OWN WORDS "used only for reporting RMT spam. Any other use is abuse."

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.