test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Just saying "Hi"

endocinendocin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 204 Bounty Hunter
edited June 2013 in The Moonstone Mask (PC)
My main is AngelBane teifling on Beholder. This is fun. I solo a GWF. Learning as I go. I don't like this pvp stuff.:D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by endocin on

Comments

• Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited June 2013
    Welcome to Neverwinter!
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Hello. Welcome to the insanity.

Learning as you go is always fun. but if you get stuck don't hesitate to ask. Trolls aside, most folks here are pretty decent.
  • Options
    kindyrekindyre Member Posts: 101
    edited June 2013
    Hello! :)

And run for your life! Before the doom and gloom on these forums consumes you!
  • Options
    zacharyslaggzacharyslagg Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Hi - I am new to this game too. (hehe are't we all?) - I am a long time DDO and LOTRO player and I am trying to get into this game as those titles, although excellent IMO, are getting long in the tooth and starting to show their age and honestly since Turbine was taken over by WB they just feel lifeless... anyways,

My first impression is - I FREAKING HATE IT! I CANT STAND THE MOVEMENT CONTROLS AND CAMERA ARGGGGGGGH

This is my third time logging in and trying to give this game an honest shot - but honestly - if i cant get past the lame , un-intuitive movement controls and the way the camera jumps around how will I know if I like the game play, character development, raids..etc.?

I've looked around for control options but I haven't found anything yet - is there something I am missing?

Thanks for your time

Sincerely - one who is wanting to like this game,
    Slagg

P.S: sorry to piggy back on the OP's thread - but it says I can only reply to posts - I am not allowed to make new post?
    WTF?
  • Options
    endocinendocin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 204 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I put the tab and utility my extra mouse buttons..:p I was <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> up the double tap to avoid big blasts.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Well Zach, I wish there was some magic config option that will get you want you want. Unfortunately, there really isnt.

The controls do take some getting used to. It is a new style of game. Some folks love it, some hate it. You wouldn't be the first to dislike it. Nothing wrong with that. We all have our preferences.

That said, if you can overcome and adapt to the game. The combat can be fairly rewarding. Its hard to deny the sense of character attachment when you narrowly dodge a, potential, fatal attack. And whirl around turning the tables on some brute only to deliver the victory stoke that sends him sprawling across the room.

Its fast paced, its frantic, and it really makes one feel connected to their character. Rather then just standing still, running a cycling, sword swinging, animation. That never seems to ever connect with the bad guy who is simply facing you, doing a similar dance.

Its a fun game, but its still new and still very much a Cryptic game. Its casual friendly, it can be shallow, its highly instanced, PVP and end game raiding are fairly lackluster. If these are deal breakers for you, be forewarned. However, on the plus side, the game can be beautiful, its fun to play with an addicting combat system (assuming you can get over the whole control scheme), Its empowering (You never feel like a lackey or rat slayer. From the get go, the game makes you feel like you are all full of badassitude) And there is little pressure to grind for hours just to accomplish something. Leveling is fast, progression is fast. Even those who can only pop on for short bursts of game play can feel rewarded here.

I hope you manage to stick around to enjoy it.
  • Options
    onikum0onikum0 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    Well Zach, I wish there was some magic config option that will get you want you want. Unfortunately, there really isnt.

The controls do take some getting used to. It is a new style of game. Some folks love it, some hate it. You wouldn't be the first to dislike it. Nothing wrong with that. We all have our preferences.

That said, if you can overcome and adapt to the game. The combat can be fairly rewarding. Its hard to deny the sense of character attachment when you narrowly dodge a, potential, fatal attack. And whirl around turning the tables on some brute only to deliver the victory stoke that sends him sprawling across the room.

Its fast paced, its frantic, and it really makes one feel connected to their character. Rather then just standing still, running a cycling, sword swinging, animation. That never seems to ever connect with the bad guy who is simply facing you, doing a similar dance.

Its a fun game, but its still new and still very much a Cryptic game. Its casual friendly, it can be shallow, its highly instanced, PVP and end game raiding are fairly lackluster. If these are deal breakers for you, be forewarned. However, on the plus side, the game can be beautiful, its fun to play with an addicting combat system (assuming you can get over the whole control scheme), Its empowering (You never feel like a lackey or rat slayer. From the get go, the game makes you feel like you are all full of badassitude) And there is little pressure to grind for hours just to accomplish something. Leveling is fast, progression is fast. Even those who can only pop on for short bursts of game play can feel rewarded here.

I hope you manage to stick around to enjoy it.

This exactly, Neverwinter has its ups and downs. It really come down to what you like.
  • Options
    kwequakwequa Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yes..under options you can change or add key binds to what you like if that helps. Its esc key in game I think.. Welcome to you both.:cool:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    zacharyslaggzacharyslagg Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Thanks for the replies, after sockmunkey's excellent description and advice I took some time last night just running around the city (without trying to do any questing or even any purpose to my wanderings) and just got really comfortable with the controls, it is tricky to get used to - and I really don't like the mouse-screen-lock or whatever (I am one of those people who is really used to pointing the mouse cursor at whatever I am reading/ looking at - like some people use their finger like a sort of "bouncing ball" to follow the lines of text while reading.) And I wish there was a way to lock the camera to be behind the characters head - but all in all, after a while it isn't that bad once you get used to it and learn to keep the mouse fairly still while fighting.

After i felt comfortable with the controls and the interaction of the UI and HUD I started questing and actually had a blast (I reach level 10 in a few hours!) The world is beautifully detailed and the combat is actually really fun and I especially like the way that they "force" you to use keybinds for skills.

I am especially intrigued by the Foundry concept. The Game reminds me a lot of the new Star Wars MMO in a way (minus the cool-at-first - but quickly-tedious cinematic cut-a-ways) and I hope that unlike SW I don't get burned out and tired of the game play after 30 or so levels.

Anyways, for now it seems like a breath of fresh air - even though initially, it was hard to breathe.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Slagg

I now return you to the OP's original scheduled post...
  • Options
    grom5674grom5674 Member Posts: 100 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    The mouse was driving me crazy as well, Slagg. I'm used to using the mouse to move not the keys on the keyboard. I hate keyboard movement! I was told that under options there is a setting that lets you slow the mouse down. I used it and dropped the mouse swing to .9 (I think) it made a big difference in how the view swings around on ya. It still can take your eyes off of the fight at times, but not nearly as much. One of my problems is with the shift key Teleport action for the Wizard. Your supposed to use the shift key to pop away a short distance, but it seems to not work at all. Instead you have to double-tap either the "W" or "S" key to port away from a foe. Very frustrating to say the least.

I'm 100% with you though Slagg... I wish I could lock the view into place, just behind and a bit above my head. Let me use the mouse to turn my view but keep the view level. If I want to look up or down.. well that's what the "page up" or "page down" keys are for. :-)
  • Options
    grom5674grom5674 Member Posts: 100 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Oh, and sorry for thread jumping your thread AngelBane. Welcome aboard to both you and Slagg. I'm new myself, and like you I dislike PvP. Won't do it, and hope no one drags me into a bit of it. I'm here to play a game, not prove myself to anyone, or have my char wasted by some power gamer.