test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Steep Learning Curve

tyr216tyr216 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited June 2013 in The Foundry
I really want to get into creating with the Foundry, but it doesn't feel intuitive and user friendly at all. I've tried watching tutorial videos on youtube and I just can't seem to get the hang of it. After failing miserably and getting frustrated just trying to create a simple quest sequence, I've grown a new found appreciation of some of the foundry authors and what they can do. I'm really hoping the Drag and Drop feature being added in the next module will help noobs like me to get started throwing things together. For a feature that's supposed to be a cornerstone of the game's foundation, they really need to make it more accessible. I'm not entirely sure what the point of this post is; I guess I'm just ranting. I really want to create in the foundry, but I feel too overwhelmingly stupid and incapable of doing it. :(
Post edited by tyr216 on

Comments

• Options
    ricktus1973ricktus1973 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I agree it is a bit hard for the beginner. That said, after just playing around with it and watching a few video tutorials for it, it's not as bad as it makes itself look. Here are the tutorials I watched that helped me out a bit. http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4srx8udaMnSdS00Ji5xtfQ Hope they help. Also people are generally very helpful in these forums from what I've seen.
  • Options
    lolsorhandlolsorhand Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 981 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I dunno, I found it very intuitive :P And fun :3
    I like turtles.

Brethren of the Five, Campaign. - Story focused
    The Dwarven Tale - Hack 'N Slash
  • Options
    myt3m0w53myt3m0w53 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    some of the things in it are intuitive, but overall i find it clunk and nothing of what was shown of an earlier build... I liked the Aurora toolset better anyway
  • Options
    lolsorhandlolsorhand Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 981 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Never done much in aurora but poking around. Wished I had checked it out more.. But I love the foundry, really do :P
    I like turtles.

Brethren of the Five, Campaign. - Story focused
    The Dwarven Tale - Hack 'N Slash
  • Options
    xhritxhrit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Compared to professional grade 3d editing software or AutoCAD, the foundry is simple and user friendly.

sketchup-importer-maya-screenshot-1b.jpg
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    That's not a fair comparison, xhrit, because AutoCAD's ui goal is to feed on human tears.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    glantorxglantorx Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It can be a little hard at first for those who have never done anything like this before.
    Start simple keep reading/watching tutorials and as stated above any questions however dumb they may seam just ask we will be glad to assist.

Have FUN.
  • Options
    vuelheringvuelhering Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    tyr216 wrote: »
    I really want to get into creating with the Foundry, but it doesn't feel intuitive and user friendly at all. I've tried watching tutorial videos on youtube and I just can't seem to get the hang of it. After failing miserably and getting frustrated just trying to create a simple quest sequence, I've grown a new found appreciation of some of the foundry authors and what they can do. I'm really hoping the Drag and Drop feature being added in the next module will help noobs like me to get started throwing things together. For a feature that's supposed to be a cornerstone of the game's foundation, they really need to make it more accessible. I'm not entirely sure what the point of this post is; I guess I'm just ranting. I really want to create in the foundry, but I feel too overwhelmingly stupid and incapable of doing it. :(

Or, create a story and have a trusted foundry editor help you make it. You can even make a special account for it and get a character to 15.

General layout of a story is best to start with anyway. It's really a combination of the story and the implementation, not just the implementation.
    Knights who say Ni!
    Foundry name: Vuelherring (with an extra 'R', matey)

"Bring out yer Dead" NW-DAI945C2G #humor #story #solo