test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The "RP" view of Crafting in this game.

jaymadiv#8056 jaymadiv Member Posts: 423 Arc User
edited June 2013 in The Moonstone Mask (PC)
Seeing as you don't actually craft anything yourself, what do you see the Crafting System in Neverwinter as, RP-wise?

Personally, with the exception of Leadership, I view it as me, being an Adventurer and thus quite rich by "Normal people" standards (i.e. NPCs, City Citizens and non-Adventurer characters), investing financially (offscreen, of course, not actually affecting Game Currency)in one of the local businesses(I.e. a Tailor Shop, a Blacksmith that specializes in Platesmithing, etc.), and as a benefit of investing, getting free/heavily discounted merchandise for personal use. I view the Tasks of the Craft Skill as me "placing an order for custom equipment." and off-screen while I am not making my orders, the Craft Shop of choice is conducting normal business with the regular populace.

I suppose one could see it as Owning your own shop and having your own employees, but I don't personally see it that way.

Leadership is another animal altogether though. I think the only feasible way to see it is as you running your own Mercenary Company. Which kinda has me stuck, because I thought WE, Guilds of Adventurers, were the Mercenary Companies, and it's kinda ridiculous to see everyone having their own personal military, you know?

any other RPers have thoughts on this?
Post edited by jaymadiv#8056 on

Comments

• Options
    melindenmelinden Member Posts: 619 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I suppose if you go with the fact that PCs are the "Epic" characters they are rather famous. If so, you can imagine that they are so well known that younger adventurers would like to work for them and apprentice to our characters. The more experienced ones we hire to take with us as we adventure (our companions) and the younger ones we send out to handle things like guard duty or fetching things from the market. Adventuring interns you might say?
    Find me in game with @DoctorBadger
    (Un)Academic Field Work Foundry Campaign: NWS-DAPZB2CTZ
  • Options
    masterawolmasterawol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Leadership could be mercenaries, could be the guard as all quests start with Sergent Knox. Could be your church who has asigned young followers to you. Etc many thing could be done for leadership. As for the trades, I've been playing it as I get supplies for the smiths and they make the items for me (keeping some of the supplies as payment)
  • Options
    vampirialvampirial Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    To my character they are slaves, contacts and regents still loyal to him in Menzoberanzan
  • Options
    gornonthecobgornonthecob Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 421 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I pretend they aren't even there. Their items just magically appear in my Bag of Random Disasters :)
    @Locksheon

Locksheon Gaming
    Follow me on Twitch - Youtube - Facebook!
  • Options
    krapmyselfskrapmyselfs Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    jmadfour wrote: »
    I suppose one could see it as Owning your own shop and having your own employees, but I don't personally see it that way.

Leadership is another animal altogether though. I think the only feasible way to see it is as you running your own Mercenary Company. Which kinda has me stuck, because I thought WE, Guilds of Adventurers, were the Mercenary Companies, and it's kinda ridiculous to see everyone having their own personal military, you know?

I see it exactly like owning my own shop and having employees doing the labor while I decide what gets done on any given work day. (like a Manager).

Leadership is basically the same, except instead of being the captain of a mercenary band, I'm more like an agent who finds work for these lowly adventurers.