test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A Guardian fighter IS required

kobrakai2kobrakai2 Member Posts: 147 Bounty Hunter
edited June 2013 in PvE Discussion
As a control wizard it's my job to control the adds. Since the cleric aggro was fixed, this inevitably means I'm the target of everything in the dungeon.

Unlike the cleric, my control powers have long cast times. This means that if I get nudged by the 20 adds that are constantly chasing me, I can't cast the abilities I use to restore action points, I can't get black holes up, and I can't push adds off.

Playing a control wizard is all about getting into a pattern of using the right skills in the right order to keep black hole up 100% of the time, and push off every add in the fight. If I have all the aggro this prevents me from doing this effectively, so ultimately I will fail.

I cannot stress enough the importance of having a good guardian fighter to distract the adds long enough for the wizard to cast their abilities. Some people think you can stack 2xTR and 2xCW but they are WRONG. While you can do it with decent wizards, the amount of potions required by the whole team will be huge.

And another thing, two control wizards does NOT make add control twice as good, It actually makes it HARDER. Both wizards are sharing the action points for knocking adds off and ultimately neither wizard ends up with enough to get a black hole up.
Post edited by kobrakai2 on

Comments

• bcvaporbcvapor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 285 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Good news.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • healhamstahealhamsta Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 572 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    kobrakai2 wrote: »
    As a control wizard it's my job to control the adds. Since the cleric aggro was fixed, this inevitably means I'm the target of everything in the dungeon.

Unlike the cleric, my control powers have long cast times. This means that if I get nudged by the 20 adds that are constantly chasing me, I can't cast the abilities I use to restore action points, I can't get black holes up, and I can't push adds off.

Playing a control wizard is all about getting into a pattern of using the right skills in the right order to keep black hole up 100% of the time, and push off every add in the fight. If I have all the aggro this prevents me from doing this effectively, so ultimately I will fail.

I cannot stress enough the importance of having a good guardian fighter to distract the adds long enough for the wizard to cast their abilities. Some people think you can stack 2xTR and 2xCW but they are WRONG. While you can do it with decent wizards, the amount of potions required by the whole team will be huge.

And another thing, two control wizards does NOT make add control twice as good, It actually makes it HARDER. Both wizards are sharing the action points for knocking adds off and ultimately neither wizard ends up with enough to get a black hole up.

Quit failing.
    2 CW's = nearly permanent CC if they just stagger their CCs.
    Delve loot murdered my TR, DC, & GWF. Nerf Plox:
    I know that it sucks to no longer get gear to sell from the Dungeon Delve chest but it was truly overpowered.
  • chrono0812chrono0812 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 501 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013

God BLess Your Heart!!
    Death_knight.jpg

Life is a dream for the wise, a game for the fool, a comedy for the rich, a tragedy for the poor.
    ~Sholom Aleichem
  • kevinf08kevinf08 Member Posts: 432 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I disagree, still steamrolling content with 2x DC, 2x CW, 1x TR or 1x DC, 3x CW, 1x TR

Guardian fighter doens't contribute anything that will speed up the runs aside from his run fast buff.

(I do take GF's in runs mind you, they just aren't required)
  • chrono0812chrono0812 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 501 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    kevinf08 wrote: »
    I disagree, still steamrolling content with 2x DC, 2x CW, 1x TR or 1x DC, 3x CW, 1x TR

Guardian fighter doens't contribute anything that will speed up the runs aside from his run fast buff.

Man, Cryptic just needs to own this and get rid of the adds. Instead of having people use w/e means they can crop up in their head to speed through the adds just remove them and let players hold hands as they skip through the dungeon downing 1 boss after another.
    Death_knight.jpg

Life is a dream for the wise, a game for the fool, a comedy for the rich, a tragedy for the poor.
    ~Sholom Aleichem
  • kobrakai2kobrakai2 Member Posts: 147 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Note that I didn't say it wouldn't work, just that it's much harder (for me) with another wizard and results in many many more potions and screw ups. I can CC 100% of the time when I play solo on castle never.
    edited June 2013
    Note that I didn't say it wouldn't work, just that it's much harder (for me) with another wizard and results in many many more potions and screw ups. I can CC 100% of the time when I play solo on castle never.

Video or it didn't happen.
    I know that it sucks to no longer get gear to sell from the Dungeon Delve chest but it was truly overpowered.
  • bcvaporbcvapor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 285 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Trash should be removed from the dungeons. They serve no purpose but to provide an obstacle to the boss (reward).

Once you realize that, you have to ask yourself, why are we filling the dungeon with trash then? What's the point here? There is no subscription to pad, no one is buying Zen for garbage in dungeons that reward nothing, but can provide significant cost and risk.

Garbge, trash, waste of time holdover from waaay back in the early 2000's.

Lose the trash, three bosses, short run between. Lose 50% of the adds, chop chop, let's cut to the chase. Don't waste my time, I'm bored over here taking out bags of garbage! Make with the boss already!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2013
    healhamsta wrote: »
    Video or it didn't happen.

I can't be bothered to make a video, I don't care if you believe me or not. If you want to see solo wizard play on castle never though check this out:

http://www.twitch.tv/deagen/c/2325605
    edited June 2013
    I can't be bothered to make a video, I don't care if you believe me or not. If you want to see solo wizard play on castle never though check this out:

http://www.twitch.tv/deagen/c/2325605

You sir are a liar.
    That video is far from "100% CC" & that is a CW who is likely more skilled than you are who is also relying on DC pre patch Astral Shield stacking.

Here's 1 post patch, still far from 100% CC:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_UgM8dF5B0&t=52m45s
    edited June 2013
    It's very easy to keep black hole up 100% of the time with a single wizard, if you disagree you either haven't played with a single wizard, or the wizard you played with is bad.

I can get two black holes up at the same time very easilly.
    edited June 2013
    You sir are a liar.
    That is far from "100% CC" & that is a CW that is likely more skilled than you are who is also relying on DC pre patch Astral Shield stacking.

How does astral shield make any difference to keeping CC up?

And what gives you the right to accuse me of being a liar, you haven't played with me.
    edited June 2013
    It's very easy to keep black hole up 100% of the time with a single wizard, if you disagree you either haven't played with a single wizard, or the wizard you played with is bad.

Why stop at two black holes?
    Why not go for all three holes. /innuendo

How does astral shield make any difference to keeping CC up?

And what gives you the right to accuse me of being a liar, you haven't played with me.

The right comes from the fact that you have yet to back up your claims. Me request video evidence of this "100% CC".
    edited June 2013
    Here's 1 post patch, still far from 100% CC:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_UgM8dF5B0&t=52m45s

That's because he's not using entangling force on tab, which restores about 60% of action points. Another typical wizard that doesn't know how to keep black hole up 100%.
    edited June 2013

Curious, what is your Recovery?

My CW had 4k Rec which was just over 25% buff, but I couldn't seem to get to perma blackhole (one). I used the usual shield/ST/blah combo that is standard.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2013
    bcvapor wrote: »
    Curious, what is your Recovery?

My CW had 4k Rec which was just over 25% buff, but I couldn't seem to get to perma blackhole (one). I used the usual shield/ST/blah combo that is standard.

My recovery is only 3800. Recovery doesn't make much difference to be honest. Using entangling force on tab is the important thing.

Once you black hole, if you immediately push with shield (before black hole goes off) then when they come back together again use entangling force on tab. You will then be able to black hole again (normally before the last one has finished).
  • cichardcichard Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    kevinf08 wrote: »

Um as a GF i am top damage in the instance and i am able to hold agro on the mobs. I can crit for 25 to 50k on different abilites.... I think i add a lot to the instance. i can dps the boss and hold agro on mobs fairly well
    s
    edited June 2013
    I probably shouldn't have mentioned it anyway because it's likely going to be nerfed once more people start doing it. My ability to play solo has nothing to do with the topic of this thread.
    edited June 2013
    On topic: I hope GFs will be able to do their proper role and hold agro while surviving.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • cichardcichard Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    On topic: I hope GFs will be able to do their proper role and hold agro while surviving.
    already do.... I am able to hold agro on 99% of the adds and still survive. well timed Guards and use of fighters recovery i am able to do just fine and still put out really really good damage.
    edited June 2013
    Have you respec'd? I am still Conq build as I haven't seen anything on a new build. If so, details?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • trollgretrollgre Member Posts: 297
    edited June 2013
    GF tank build is required at dungeons
    into the fray = increases movespeed / AP recover / and with feat upgrade it adds 5% damage
    tactician feat = marked target deals 10% less damage to pt members
    aggro mobs while theres no AS
  • raggnaxraggnax Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Trash should be removed from the dungeons. They serve no purpose but to provide an obstacle to the boss (reward).

Once you realize that, you have to ask yourself, why are we filling the dungeon with trash then? What's the point here? There is no subscription to pad, no one is buying Zen for garbage in dungeons that reward nothing, but can provide significant cost and risk.

Garbge, trash, waste of time holdover from waaay back in the early 2000's.

Lose the trash, three bosses, short run between. Lose 50% of the adds, chop chop, let's cut to the chase. Don't waste my time, I'm bored over here taking out bags of garbage! Make with the boss already!

Are you new to these type of games? Trash slows you down. Slowed down gearing up process keeps you playing longer. You playing longer makes them money. Money allows them to put out new product which you play which makes them money. Rinse repeat.

If you logged in tommorrow with maxxed toons in every class you would do what? More then likely move to another game and in the process taking your money with you. Games are not made for you they are made to make a profit.
  • mhblis1mhblis1 Member Posts: 167 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Funny I've run with a double CW no TR setup for a while and our CWs manage to both have 100% up time on AS. It really comes down to knowing your class and working with the players in your group. To be fair we never ran double DC so they actually had threat and learnt how to play with it.

I agree a GF can make it much easier on low geared 60's or pugs but sadly there is no requirement for a GWF or GF in any of these instances.
  • bzzzdbzzzd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    raggnax wrote: »
    Are you new to these type of games? Trash slows you down. Slowed down gearing up process keeps you playing longer. You playing longer makes them money. Money allows them to put out new product which you play which makes them money. Rinse repeat.

If you logged in tommorrow with maxxed toons in every class you would do what? More then likely move to another game and in the process taking your money with you. Games are not made for you they are made to make a profit.

it's about the carrot, if the carrot is not worth it to chase, there is no "urge" for the player to pay a sub or buy stuff in the shop. and with the current instances and gauntlgrym it simply isn't - not for a lot of people; besides, trash as a stopgap is as cheesy as LOLEMOREADDS bosses. they could easily adjust token rewards for 1 run to reflect the shorter duration. in the end it doesn't matter if I for example do 1 run for 3 tokens in an hour or 3 runs for 3 tokens in an hour. the latter is simply preferable cause it provides more options (which means more satisfied people)

besides, there are way better implementation that makes people log in. funny enough it's from the same company: STO's guild and rep system (not to mention the doff system) is miles ahead of neverwinter's. sure, it might be grindy for some - still objectively better since you have more options.

inb4 "STO is 3 years old" - it's from the same company, it's not like they had the devs in the same house. otoh the ah exploit showed the devteams don't even communicate critical bugs ....